PDA

View Full Version : My fitness log

nzwasp
10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Im making this to keep myself accountable. And to line up with taking my first test shot to see what sort of improvement I will see with that.

Ive tried lots of bootcamps in the past couple of years and never really gained muscle and didnt really lose weight either.

Now im working out twice a day, my wife and I do a bootcamp style workout at night when she gets home and I do a moderate speed bike with weights every couple of mins in the morning. Prob burning around 1400 calories a day (wearing a heart rate monitor)

I dont work currently because I look after my daughter during the day if anyone was wondering.

My stats:

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 209lbs

Belly: 40"
Waist (where pants sit): 39"
Chest: 38"
Biceps: 13.5"
Thighs: 24"
Calves: 15"
Hips: 41"

Obligatory starting photo:

http://i.imgur.com/pSjpbUv.jpg?1

myfitnesspal profile: nzwasp

edit: goal weight probably around 185 and 36 or smaller around my waist so I can finally buy pants again.

Started working out monday.

zipdoa
10-10-2013, 12:23 PM
What kind of physique do you want?

A790
10-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
What kind of physique do you want?
This.

nzwasp
10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
athletic, not too massive

I really want to lose my belly fat, my friends call it the baby step where my daughter sits when i hold her.

lint
10-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Start with Starting Strength http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

403ep3
10-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
athletic, not too massive

I really want to lose my belly fat, my friends call it the baby step where my daughter sits when i hold her.

Hah I actually lol'ed in my office

Take it one step at a time. You'll see muscle build up once you start a certain program. The key is that you have to stick to it, no matter what type of program it is.

Try Starting Strength or Stronglifts.. essentially the same thing, but they will make you strong as a whole. You have a good height and weight to start off and you will see massive gains in less than a year :bigpimp:

MalibuStacy
10-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Being athletic is not the only ting hat needs to be considered here. A large part of losing weight is controlling the portion size and certain food combinations,

zipdoa
10-10-2013, 01:07 PM
My advice:

Do SS as suggested. Once you become experienced you can decide if you want to prioritize building size or building strength. I personally love getting disgustingly huge pumps in the gym and walking around like a mammoth, so high volume pushing heavy weights suits my needs. I think it's equally cool seeing sprinters at talisman clean and jerk disgusting weight once or twice and making me look like a bitch, so you're winning either way.

But please understand, doing at home weights, spin bikes and bootcamps mean you're losing. Waste of time in my humble high horse elitist opinion.

EDIT:

Also IMHHEO:

Fuck wasting time tracking the 1/4" measurement changes in your biceps and waist and whatever else. Jump on a scale once every couple weeks, but don't focus on that either. Don't waste your time seeking attention through threads on the internet under the guise that it will 'keep you honest'.

I suspect the most successful forum members (in regards to training and discipline) don't waste time making useless updates and posting selfies and basking in the mental masturbation that is these threads. Let the change you see in the mirror motivate you to keep going, not 'zipdoa' on beyond.ca saying "u got it bro so many gainzz! u lift so havy!!11' 'we belif in uu~!'

If you don't want to look like a bitch, put your time in every day. Eat like a pro. Train like a pro. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you're the fucking man. Completely embody the change that you want. I just see these threads as being self-serving narcissistic gateways to limited success.

Sounds harsh, but that was my route to success. Disregard everyone else. Don't seek attention, instead work your ASS off and gain the respect of your peers.

I'm not saying don't ask advice or look for ways to improve (99% of which has already been answered 1000x if you search google. Follow a routine and diet of your favourite physique off Simply Shredded, and you're basically good to go), but what's a better use of your time and energy:

Posting selfies, weighing and measuring yourself like an OCD maniac, constantly refreshing your thread to see who commented

OR

Lifting heavy, researching anatomy and the principles of building muscle, prepping meals, getting adequate rest, spending time with your wife and kids

Some guys are into writing down exactly what weight they moved every day and how much. That's fine, I see nothing wrong with that, but you can do that in a personal journal. Personally, I have no problem remembering that last week I pulled 160kg 4x10 on deadlifts and this week I want to pull 170kg 4x8. Does it matter how much weight and how many reps of some small supplementary exercise you did? Maybe, but I don't have time for that shit. I just get it there and push it to the limit. If I'm right on the line between being exhausted and shaking to the point of vomiting, I know I did things just right.

You got 86,400 seconds every day, and being a family man I bet those are real valuable. So you decided.

But hey, that's just me, and I could be wrong, and that's a major tragedy. To each their own. This is just what I learned as I became more successful in my practice.

EDIT PT2:

I should add the above information only applies if you want to get shredded. If you want to talk about getting shredded, then by all means carry on.

EK69
10-10-2013, 02:39 PM
What work out equipment do you have? Do u have what is required for the starting strengths programs? How many days a week will you work out?

And if you haven't worked out for a while, get ready for DOMS... Depending on how hard you go the first couple times.

Are you taking any supplements other than the test shots?

What's your diet like?

Those are basic questions you and others will ask

Being a stay at home dad it's probably gonna suck the first week or so with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) so maybe try not to go all out the first week and get the crazy bad initial muscle soreness out of the way then go hard and follow the program. Though it may just be better to go hard and suck it up through the DOMS. When your muscle are sore the next day after working out, u know you did something right.

Just make sure you don't sacrifice form. Having a mirror where you work out helps you look at yourself to make sure the form is right. You can even record using your phone for a couple reps and then watch it to check the form. Or upload on YouTube and someone here will help you out if ur not sure. Best to correct the form early on

It's probably not possible to go to a gym since ur a stay at home dad for the time being, and it can be tough to get motivated at home to go work out but just try to stick with it. Good luck :thumbsup:

//edit
What exactly does "boot camp style" workout mean and entail?
And what weights?
Bench press, deadlift and squats seem to be the most basic and important lifts from what everyone says, do you have equipment for that? Or are you just doing mostly cardio (since you mention the bike) and some dumb bell work on top?

EK69
10-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I feel like burning 1400 calories a day is a shit load of calories to burn through in a day lol? Maybe some one who's more knowledgable in that stuff can chime in

You sure ur burning 1400 calories a day? How are u coming up with that number?

403ep3
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Yeah that's a hell of a lot to burn unless you're eating a bunch too!

nzwasp
10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Im eating about 2100 calories a day, and I may start doing strong lifts or starting strength in the mornings instead of cycling.

The bootcamp thing is from bodyrock.tv and is their 30 day challenge. Its on youtube you can check it out if you want its what my wife wants us to do at nights after work. Its pretty similar to what I was doing with the personal trainer at anytime fitness when I worked downtown.

I only have dumbell weights until december when i go back to the gym - i have 10, 15, 20, 30lbs.

max_boost
10-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Losing belly fat? When you say that you want abs for 2014?

As usual, gain some muscle, burn some fat, look good, feel good, play good. All goals of everyone who exercise.

Ya wanna drop the fat fast? Cut carbs. There's nothing like it. :D

Tej.S
10-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Let the change you see in the mirror motivate you to keep going, not 'zipdoa' on beyond.ca saying "u got it bro so many gainzz! u lift so havy!!11' 'we belif in uu~!'

:rofl: :rofl: Actually made me lol irl.