PDA

View Full Version : Baby friendly restaurants?

genesis0403
10-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi I'm here to ask your opinion... I'm looking for some good restaurants that accept babies. I know a lot of the places on 17 don't so I'm kinda lost here as I need to reserve a place for saturday.... Some place good + accept babies. Thank you

colinxx235
10-10-2013, 09:26 PM
boston pizza is kid friendly :dunno:

nzwasp
10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
mercatos west - took my baby there a few times before she was 5 months old.

I remember asking this same question on reddit.com/r/calgary and I got a lot of flames for it.

G
10-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Cibo has a kids menu from 5 to 7.

genesis0403
10-11-2013, 05:29 AM
I was actually considering Mercato and Cibo but as far as my last visit to Cibo goes, it was pretty loud especially for a baby just under a year old

swak
10-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Why bring a baby (under 1yr) to that kind of restautant??

dirtsniffer
10-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Especially one were I may be. I don't pay to have a night out to hear your baby scream and cry.

If it doesn't, then great. If it does please do something about it.

This isn't really directed at you, but to all people in a similar situation.

OU812
10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Especially one were I may be. I don't pay to have a night out to hear your baby scream and cry.

I also dont pay to have a night out where theres a large group of identical looking people with sleeve tattoos and steroid addictions thinking they own the place and being annoying as fuck but I have to put up with it,

News flash....your out in public and you get what you get

GTS4tw
10-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by OU812

I also dont pay to have a night out where theres a large group of identical looking people with sleeve tattoos and steroid addictions thinking they own the place and being annoying as fuck but I have to put up with it,

You don't have to put up with that, you can ask them to keep it down. Try doing that to a parent with bratty kids!

swak
10-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Go to McDonalds, your kid will appreciate it more, I'm confident in this.

Pacman
10-11-2013, 08:13 AM
As others have mentioned, the two best ones I have found so far are Mercato West and Cibo.

I liked Cibo better, only because our servers (we have been 4 or 5 times) seemed to understand the importance of taking our food order, getting it on our table and providing us with the bill in a reasonable amount of time so our baby didn't have a meltdown.

It was also a bit louder so if she did cry a bit, it wasn't disturbing the other people eating at adjacent tables.

Pacman
10-11-2013, 08:16 AM

Then go to a restaurant that isn't kid friendly.

If a restaurant, like Cibo, has a kids menu from 5-7 then it's fair game to expect to see families there.

sputnik
10-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Just go anywhere you want at around 5pm.

Adults annoyed with the fact that you are bringing your young children out to dinner should have just made their dinner plans for after 6pm.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Agreed about going early. I have two kids, and we go out to "real" restaruants occasionally. If you are there around five, it's mostly empty, and the food will come out faster since the kitchen isn't busy.

What drives me nuts is to see kids out at restaurants at 8:00. The kids are exhausted and usually screaming. I judge those parents pretty harshly.

dirtsniffer
10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't care what time the kids or babies are in the restaraunt as long as they are quiet. Shit.

Going early does sound like a good idea.

AndyL
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Mr mikes in airdrie treats us really good when we have the apprentice along.

Not sure if it's what we order or if they expedite - but yeah, they do seem to hurry our meal along when he accompanies... (and like I've said before, their foods definitely better than the keg/etc)

They had this awesome little sling thing - to put his carseat at table height when he was before high-chair sized...

colinxx235
10-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by OU812

Awesome description of Domer you have there... you NAILED it right on the head... :rolleyes:

I agree with him though. I'm going out Saturday for a friends birthday to a nice restaurant (granted we are going for 730-8). Would be very disappointed to have a screaming kid near us.

speedog
10-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by swak
Go to McDonalds, your kid will appreciate it more, I'm confident in this.
Really? His kid isn't even a year old, might, just might be walking. And besides that, he needs to make to make reservations which tells me he wants more out of a restaurant for his occasion than what McDonalds might be able to offer him.

nzwasp
10-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Mr mikes in airdrie treats us really good when we have the apprentice along.

Not sure if it's what we order or if they expedite - but yeah, they do seem to hurry our meal along when he accompanies... (and like I've said before, their foods definitely better than the keg/etc)

They had this awesome little sling thing - to put his carseat at table height when he was before high-chair sized...

You can also turn those wooden high chairs upside down and it fits the carseat perfectly at table height.

rage2
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
My favorite restaurants are all baby friendly. Had no problems inviting friends with babies.

Mercato West - it's loud. Nobody's going to hear a baby.

Sukiyaki House - see babies there all the time.

Ruth's Chris - big enough party (6 or 8) and you can reserve a room. Bring a DVD and they'll play it on the TV there, keep the older kids entertained.

swak
10-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Really? His kid isn't even a year old, might, just might be walking. And besides that, he needs to make to make reservations which tells me he wants more out of a restaurant for his occasion than what McDonalds might be able to offer him.

Then I repeat, why is bringing your baby to a fancy restaurant a question? If menus are irrelevant?

DENZILDON
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by swak

Then I repeat, why is bringing your baby to a fancy restaurant a question? If menus are irrelevant?

Because different restaurants pull a different crowd and some may not even be kid friendly. Like kid seats, change tables in the toilet, etc.

genesis0403
10-11-2013, 01:13 PM
It ain't my kid but my friend's who is driving all the way from vancouver.... The dinner occasion is my wife's birthday though which is why I wish to go to a somewhat nice restaurant

speedog
10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by genesis0403
It ain't my kid but my friend's who is driving all the way from vancouver.... The dinner occasion is my wife's birthday though which is why I wish to go to a somewhat nice restaurant
And I would hazard a guess that Mcdonalds just doesn't quite cut it as it should not in this case.

genesis0403
10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by speedog

And I would hazard a guess that Mcdonalds just doesn't quite cut it as it should not in this case.

Definately not... I haven't ate Mcdonalds in years as well. I try to avoid it as much as possible

chathamf
10-12-2013, 04:52 PM

I hope you are blessed with a colic baby for this comment alone.

swak
10-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

Really???

Who here appreciates screaming babies at tables next to them in restaurants (fancy or not?), esp when the parents take such a laissez-faire approach to calming their kid down.

spikerS
10-12-2013, 05:42 PM
holy elitists.

Seriously, if the menu has a kids section on it, or they offer booster seats and high chairs, you got no right to bitch.

If you don't want to hear upset kids that are going to ruin your otherwise uptight life, there are lounges you can frequent that children are not allowed in. I know places like The Keg and such all have them. Maybe you should check them out.

Kids are a fact of life. The sooner you realize that and figure out how to accept that, the happier you will be.

dirtsniffer
10-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

If my baby has colic I will get take out. or a baby sitter.

Originally posted by spikers
holy elitists.

Seriously, if the menu has a kids section on it, or they offer booster seats and high chairs, you got no right to bitch.

If you don't want to hear upset kids that are going to ruin your otherwise uptight life, there are lounges you can frequent that children are not allowed in. I know places like The Keg and such all have them. Maybe you should check them out.

Kids are a fact of life. The sooner you realize that and figure out how to accept that, the happier you will be.

If you kids can't behave in public that's your problem and your fault; deal with it so I don't have to.

4bier
10-12-2013, 08:39 PM
i gotta agree with dirtsniffer on this.

spikerS
10-12-2013, 08:44 PM

If my baby has colic I will get take out. or a baby sitter.

If you kids can't behave in public that's your problem and your fault; deal with it so I don't have to.

Hey, sometimes, they are just going to cry, and if it is a kid friendly place, sometimes, you are just going to have to deal with it.

again, if you don't want to, there are other options.

rookie101
10-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I have no problems with babies or children in restaurants, but sometimes you get those parents that need to be dragged outside and spanked.

You know the ones, they let their toddlers and kids run around the place like they own it and stick their nose up in the air just waiting for someone to politely same something so they can berate them about how hateful they are and how children are beautiful and it's their right to run free. THOSE people I hate with a passion!

Babies, even crying aren't that bad.

danno
10-12-2013, 09:06 PM
we got a babysitter so we could go to craft, we get there and there's kids inside we were kinda shocked. we take are 11 month old just about everywhere, she is typically fine but we always eat around 5-6.

Redwagon
10-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Wellington's of Calgary is a nice restaurant that will accommodate kids.

And from their name, the wellington there is great!

Thomas Gabriel
10-14-2013, 11:55 AM
ITT: Places not to go if you want to have an enjoyable dinner

speedog
10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
ITT: Places not to go if you want to have an enjoyable dinner Ruth's Chris - really?

slammedfc
10-16-2013, 03:17 PM
my little guy is just 6 months, we have been bringing him out with us to eat since he was a few days old. havent been turned away anywhere yet!

i mean, he will cry a little bit once and a while but we take care of that quickly.

i agree with rookie101, its not the kids/babys, its the fucking parents

89coupe
10-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by genesis0403
Hi I'm here to ask your opinion... I'm looking for some good restaurants that accept babies. I know a lot of the places on 17 don't so I'm kinda lost here as I need to reserve a place for saturday.... Some place good + accept babies. Thank you

Mercato's is a great place, staff are super friendly with kids.

Redwater grill was also friendly with kids.

Haro's was friendly.

Silver Dragon.

Thats all I got.

Lex350
10-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by spikers
holy elitists.

amen brother!

you&me
10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by slammedfc
my little guy is just 6 months, we have been bringing him out with us to eat since he was a few days old. havent been turned away anywhere yet!

i mean, he will cry a little bit once and a while but we take care of that quickly.

i agree with rookie101, its not the kids/babys, its the fucking parents

Enjoy it while you can!

We did the same with our little one when she was younger. Basically she just slept in her car seat, or sat quietly on mom's lap. That all changes... You'll see :eek:

On the topic of child friendly restaurants, we usually go by the booster seat / children's menu = child friendly. I feel perfectly fine going to any chain restaurant at any time that suits us, which typically ends up being earlier anyways. We're quick to quiet our daughter down or do whatever's needed to be as non-disruptive as possible, so there's no need to shoot daggers as soon as we walk in the door.

While I'll acknowledge there are plenty of shitty parents out there, the very presence of a (my) child in a restaurant shouldn't automatically ruin your dining experience. I couldn't give two fucks if the guy in the sweatpants thinks our lil' one's presence is infringing on his "high-end dining experience" at Earls. :rofl:

DeleriousZ
10-16-2013, 06:49 PM
?v=d2cTX81ZpL8

swak
10-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Enjoy it while you can!

We did the same with our little one when she was younger. Basically she just slept in her car seat, or sat quietly on mom's lap. That all changes... You'll see :eek:

On the topic of child friendly restaurants, we usually go by the booster seat / children's menu = child friendly. I feel perfectly fine going to any chain restaurant at any time that suits us, which typically ends up being earlier anyways. We're quick to quiet our daughter down or do whatever's needed to be as non-disruptive as possible, so there's no need to shoot daggers as soon as we walk in the door.

While I'll acknowledge there are plenty of shitty parents out there, the very presence of a (my) child in a restaurant shouldn't automatically ruin your dining experience. I couldn't give two fucks if the guy in the sweatpants thinks our lil' one's presence is infringing on his "high-end dining experience" at Earls. :rofl:

I can appreciate and agree with this reply 100%

First example that comes to my mind was sitting at the Starbucks on gasoline alley killing time... Baby crying bloody murder, mom doing F- all.... Damn near everyone sitting down got up and sat outside, could still hear kid screaming after that.... Mom doing F- all.

Its people like this that give everyone a bad name unfortunately.
If your kid is quiet, having a good time, etc... I could care less.

CapnCrunch
10-17-2013, 08:36 AM
To get back on topic, you can take a baby just about anywhere. We've eaten at plenty of nice places and never had an issue.

slammedfc
10-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Enjoy it while you can!

haha, yea he has been a pretty quiet kid so far but im waiting for the change ! LOL

SilverGS
10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Honestly I have run across almost no restaurants that wouldn't at least accept a kid. I mean there are definitely more kid friendly places but outside of a bar I don't think any restaurant has ever turned us away even with a baby/toddler.

Do you consider Joey's at Chinook a bit nicer? I know a family who have a weekly ritual to eat there on a weekly basis with a toddler and I would not consider them exactly kid friendly. But they wouldn't turn you away because you have a young'n with you.

OP you mentioned places on 17th that don't accept babies? Which places are these because I can't say I have ever had an issue with a place.