PDA

View Full Version : Driving with a flat tire?

Blue
10-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Is it safe for me to drive a flat tire to canadian tire which is about 5 minutes away from my house.

M3 doesnt come with a spare tire and i dont have a jack to take off the wheel and bring it to them.. someone help? haha

GTS4tw
10-11-2013, 08:23 AM
No, you should go buy a jack, then take the tire off and take it to them, get it patched and buy a spare tire!

mr2mike
10-11-2013, 08:23 AM
You'll probably wreck the sidewall.
Best case, you unseat the sidewall from the rim.
Worst case, you wreck the tire's side wall and need to buy a new tire.

Not worth it.

Borrow a jack, go buy one, use and return, anything.

Or get someone with an aircompressor to inflate and you drive it there if leak isn't too quick.

quick_scar
10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Please don't do it. You risk damaging the rim if you do.

If CT is that close, go get one of those cans of Fix a flat. It means you will need to get a new tire, but if you drive on it flat you will as well.

Blue
10-11-2013, 08:28 AM
ok thanks everyone, now i just need to find someone with a jack.

edit - i tried to put air last night and it wouldnt inflate my tires. im assuming the tire have a big slash or something. :dunno: :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Tire will likely be 100% fubared and you may mess up your rim as well.

tsi_neal
10-11-2013, 10:05 AM
run flats?

colinxx235
10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Blue
Is it safe for me to drive a flat tire to canadian tire which is about 5 minutes away from my house.

M3 doesnt come with a spare tire and i dont have a jack to take off the wheel and bring it to them.. someone help? haha

I did this last year on my Mich Alpin winter tire for just a few kms.

I shredded the entire tire and make a shit storm of a mess.

Take off the tire, Drive it to a shop (taxi if you don't have another vehicle or a friend) get it fixed and return it back to car.
Considering you have an M3 I would probably go to a shop after and make sure its tightened on properly

ExtraSlow
10-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Not really what the OP was asking about, but I thought I would put it here as it relates to the title of the thread.

Some roads are quite narrow and are unsafe to change a flat tire. In cases like that, you are a lot better off driving on the flat tire until you can get to a safe turn-off location before putting on your spare.
My wife is under strict insructions that if she gets a flat on deerfoot or any major highway to drive to the next exit before stopping. I can buy a new tire and rim if needed.

One of my previous employers had operations that required travel on a very narrow and steep industrial road. They had a policy of not changing tires on that road, and would pay for any damage to company or contractor-owned vehicles.

Since OP is already parked in a safe place, driving any further distance on that tire is not a good idea.

snowcat
10-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
use and return

:facepalm:

MalibuStacy
10-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Don't drive on it, my mum did this once and she ruined the tire by only driving a couple blocks!

sillysod
10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Blue

edit - i tried to put air last night and it wouldnt inflate my tires. im assuming the tire have a big slash or something.:

I was going to say just grab a can of tire fix a flat. It's a horrible foam that will plug the hole but make a mess of the rim. Doesn't damage anything, just makes a mess for the tire guy.

However, if it has a "big slash" and it won't inflate, go ahead and drive on it because it is already not-repairable.

Blue
10-11-2013, 08:41 PM
haha thanks for all the advice guys but i had to tow it to bmw calgary, i borrowed a jack from a friend and jacked up my car infront of my house and many people offered to help me but there was 1 lugnut wouldnt come off (the special one) the teeth is completely chewed up but good thing my bmw road service paid for the towing and everything :D