PDA

View Full Version : Online H2S/WHMIS courses?

bitteeinbit
10-13-2013, 08:04 PM
So I followed H2S/WHMIS courses a few years back and they've now obviously expired. I now see a lot of websites offering to give the courses online (for a lower fee than in-class classes). Are these actually recognized within the industry? Enform used to be the standard and to be honest, it's all stuff that can be learned on a computer (especially stupid stuff like TDG), but I have a feeling the certificates issued might be totally useless for anything but wiping one's ass. I understand First Aid should be done within a classroom environment as there's a lot of hands-on stuff to do, but H2S? I can't get a H2S course on the east coast so getting certified online would be quite practical.

Thanks in advance.

msommers
10-13-2013, 08:10 PM
I cannot confirm but for the H2S course I don't know how they could offer this completely online. Whenever I've done it, we've had to put on a breathing apparatus and show our ability to use it properly.

ExtraSlow
10-13-2013, 08:22 PM
As far as I know, the only H2S course that is accepted is the H2S alive course manged by Enform. Other places are able to offer this same course through a licensing agreement with Enform, but it is the same course material, and I'm pretty sure the certificate you get at the end will always say Enform.

As far as I know, this cannot be offered online. I just did a quick search, and all I found are H2S "awareness" courses, which aren't the same at all, and would not be acceptable for most employers.

TDG and WHIMIS can easily be done online, although some employers prefer to give their own versions of those, so they will be specific to the chemicals and shipping procedures of that company.

tch7
10-13-2013, 08:29 PM
As far as I've seen only H2S Awareness is offered online, but H2S Alive is more comprehensive and done in a classroom setting where you have to put on the equipment and such. Whether H2S Awareness is considered acceptable depends on your job/employer...

bitteeinbit
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys. Kind of what I expected. And I also recall having to put on the breathing apparatus so sounds about right. Small follow up question: what do you figure are the odds of getting employment from a place if A) you don't actually live there yet and B) your tickets aren't up-to-date anymore?

I figure pretty low, as they might dismiss me as not being serious if not physically there. Coupled with not actually having any-up-to date certifications, and I might get stone-walled. I figure I'll still apply to a bunch of places online and make sure I stress the fact that I'll get my tickets renewed before starting the job, but I'm assuming I shouldn't get my hopes up. I'm serious about moving out west again, just not sure I want the risk of going there again without a job lined up beforehand. I was lucky last time (found a job within 3-4 days if I recall), but might not be so lucky this time around.

ExtraSlow
10-14-2013, 06:52 AM
what kind of job are you trying to get, and what kills or qualifications do you have? If you are looking for roughneck work, and you have no history with the company, I would guess that you don't look like the greatest candidate when you are on the other side of the country with none of your tickets.

bitteeinbit
10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
None really, haha. I roughnecked on a service rig for a summer (4 months) and that's about it. I did a good job though. Everyone said I learned 3X faster than the average roughneck and having been in the military, I was fine mentally/physically. It also blew my toolpush's mind when I gave his a resignation letter and two weeks notice before leaving, lol. I know I could walk back into that old place and get a job asap, but I'd prefer a job that doesn't involve getting oil in my hair everyday and backbreaking work. I have a completely unrealted university degree. I was looking at MWD as it seems they will consider people without any any direct engineering papers. Another option I was looking at was either getting a class 1 or 3 driver's license and going swabbing/frac.

locust
10-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Look into the h2s challenge exam from Enform. They have some 3rd party franchises that offer it across Canada

Nufy
10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by locust
Look into the h2s challenge exam from Enform. They have some 3rd party franchises that offer it across Canada

I just re-did my H2S yesterday.

Instructor told us that you can't challenge the exam anymore.

In reality, its a day long course and is super easy.

Enform are always offering classes. Chances are your employer will pay for it as well.

If they want to hire you, the lack of tickets will not matter.