PDA

View Full Version : Gravity

BigDannyCool
10-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Surprised there isn't a thread on this movie. Watched it today. Wow! The visuals are amazing. Probably the best 3d movie I have watched. Alfonso Cuaron directed this movie, he directed one of my fave movies Children of Men. Definitely a must watch.

Myrrinda
10-15-2013, 10:39 AM
I loved it. I think I held my breath through the entire thing.

Transp0rt3r
10-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Going to see it tonight! :eek:

jsn
10-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Definitely an intense movie. I usually think 3d movies are a gimmick and I usually avoid them whenever possible, but this movie was pretty good in 3d. Imax was sold out when I went to watch it, but I'd definitely recommend watching it in Imax if possible.

Penguin_Racecar
10-15-2013, 11:59 AM
My wife had a headache after the movie, that's how intense it was :D

nj2Type-S
10-15-2013, 12:01 PM
i was sceptical at first, but i'm glad i watched it. awesome movie! :thumbsup:

timdog
10-15-2013, 12:08 PM
very good visuals and pretty intense movie. of course a few parts were a little unbelievable but i'd still give it a solid 8/10. thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sugarphreak
10-15-2013, 12:43 PM

HyperZell
10-15-2013, 02:54 PM
I can reaffirm all of the positive comments - this movie was awesome. The cinematography was excellent (long tracking shots, especially the one to the helmet!) and some really tense moments. Plus, I actually liked Sandra Bullock, as she really did do a great job. Go watch it, and in IMAX 3D if you can!

flipstah
10-15-2013, 03:53 PM
If you can tolerate Sandra Bullock panicking in space, it must be a good movie then. :thumbsup:

max_boost
10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Agreed with all above. Excellent movie!

finboy
10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
If you can tolerate Sandra Bullock panicking in space, it must be a good movie then. :thumbsup:
This

Visuals are cool but the movie is SHIT! Literally 90 minutes of Sandra bullock yelling and crying to herself, soooo fucking awful.

Go watch rush instead

01RedDX
10-15-2013, 08:31 PM

finboy
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
^ I dunno man, the 98% on Rotten Tomatoes is rather convincing.

I thought so too, it's "good" like how avatar was "good."

It has groundbreaking film work, but where avatar at least has something of a plot and character interaction, this is LITERALLY Sandra bullock yelling and crying to herself for 90 minutes.

Go watch rush instead, trust me

zieg
10-15-2013, 08:54 PM
I liked the story, and the fine details were awesome. Where I took issue was with some of the bigger things, orbital mechanics and such... But then there are tons of people complaining about that already. I don't always throw money at hollywood companies to see movies in theatres, but when I do, I prefer them to be something that helps get the general public more interested in space. :dunno:

xnvy
10-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Holy, that was awesome! Better than Rush (blasphemy, I know). My experience was like Sugarphreak's, I flinched a couple times, never have done that at a movie before. Probably one of the best movies of the year.

shakalaka
10-20-2013, 02:15 AM
I've got to agree with Finboy above. Yea the visuals were awesome and everything, but it got boring pretty fast for me to be honest. IMAX 3D was really good, but the movie plot itself didn't do much for me at all.

sneek
10-20-2013, 08:44 AM
I thought that movie was just awful. The visuals were incredible, but the movie was horrible.

flipstah
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by finboy

this is LITERALLY Sandra bullock yelling and crying to herself for 90 minutes.

Yeah... Pass.

eglove
10-20-2013, 07:16 PM
It was a good movie. I'd class it in the genre "stressful" I enjoyed it though.

icky2unk
10-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by finboy

This

Visuals are cool but the movie is SHIT! Literally 90 minutes of Sandra bullock yelling and crying to herself, soooo fucking awful.

Go watch rush instead

And you would be calm and relaxing like you are on the beach?

Mitsu3000gt
10-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I saw this yesterday in IMAX 3D. I thought they did a great job with the visuals, nothing looked super obviously fake. Some of the physics were questionable, but its a movie after all.

I wasn't a fan of Sandra Bullock in space. Seeing her outside of a concerned mom role was extremely weird. I wish they had used someone else, but she did an OK job.

I didn't like the Ghost Clooney part, and a couple other parts were weird, but overall I thought it was pretty good. It almost seemed like too much went wrong at times, but in space maybe it's like that lol. Who knows.

I liked it, but I would have liked it less for sure without the 3D IMAX visual experience.

DeleriousZ
10-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Absolutely loved the movie. It's been a long time since I've been drawn into one like that. Watching it in IMAX 3d probably made a big difference though. Was so drawn into it I didn't have time to realize the plot was fairly shallow. Absolutely recommend it in imax 3d if you're into a fun ride.

4doorj
10-26-2013, 11:53 AM
I haven't watched a imax movie in forever. Is it like avx now where you can pick your seats now?
I'm going to try and watch this today.

DeleriousZ
10-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Yep you can pick your seats in IMAX now

Albertosaurus
10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Such an amazing film. Alfonso Cuarón is really underated... Anyone else take off their 3D glasses cause of anxiety ?

TomcoPDR
03-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Didn't like it. I'm sure it might had been visually stunning in 3D. The plot wasn't really there, they didn't build the characters nor the relationships between the characters that well.

Didn't like the whole Sandra doing the whole teeny meeny miny moe, which button won't kill me in this Russian shuttle, then the some same in the Chinese shuttle. Reminded me of that Simpsons episode when Homer saved the power plant from core meltdown in front of all the CEO's

heavyD
03-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Didn't like it. I'm sure it might had been visually stunning in 3D. The plot wasn't really there, they didn't build the characters nor the relationships between the characters that well.

Didn't like the whole Sandra doing the whole teeny meeny miny moe, which button won't kill me in this Russian shuttle, then the some same in the Chinese shuttle. Reminded me of that Simpsons episode when Homer saved the power plant from core meltdown in front of all the CEO's

Honestly did you expect her to know Russian? Although she was probably trained somewhat to pilot their specific US shuttle it's a stretch to think she could jump in a Russian unit and just know what buttons did what in quick fashion.

Seth1968
03-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I didn't watch it in 3D, but in general, I thought the movie was crap.

Aside from the whole unrealistic aspect of things, Bullock and Clooney were cliche and fucking annoying.

D'z Nutz
04-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Gw79smKZB9E

Cos
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Seth1968
04-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Gw79smKZB9E

How the fuck do you even have the time to find such things?

n1zm0
04-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
How the fuck do you even have the time to find such things?

I'm going to guess it's from the 'front page of the internet', within 1 minute you can find the latest news, something funny, something interesting, something horrible, something nsfw. That's where I first saw that new intro anyways.

sputnik
04-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Nice visuals.

Crap story.

George Clooney's nonchalant attitude during the whole thing was pretty stupid and my wife thought it was a pretty big piece of feminist propaganda.

01RedDX
04-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Feruk
04-04-2014, 12:36 PM
The whole plot was totally unrealistic. But... the movie was fantastic!

jacky4566
04-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Honestly did you expect her to know Russian? Although she was probably trained somewhat to pilot their specific US shuttle it's a stretch to think she could jump in a Russian unit and just know what buttons did what in quick fashion.

Just a curious note. All the NASA pilots know Russian and can pilot the russian soyuz. Since the Soyuz is NASA's only connection to the space station they kinda had to.

Now do I believe she could have piloted the Soyuz. Very unlikely. She probably would have burned up.

I would highly recomend reading Chris Hadfields book An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. Very good book!

Seth1968
04-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

Now do I believe she could have piloted the Soyuz. Very unlikely. She probably would have burned up.

By the way her character was portrayed, I doubt she could even drive a car.

Feruk
04-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

Just a curious note. All the NASA pilots know Russian and can pilot the russian soyuz. Since the Soyuz is NASA's only connection to the space station they kinda had to.

The stations are at totally different elevations. She couldn't have even gotten there...