PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Auctions

Modelexis
10-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Does Calgary have anything like what SGI has in Saskatchewan where they auction salvage vehicles?

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/all_search.html

I know we have semi-private insurance but I was wondering if any major insurance companies have online auctions like this.

Kinda cool to see the different cars/motorcycles come up for auction.

Gives me some joy to fantasize about getting a lightly damaged vehicle for cheap and fixing it up.

A 2006 gsxr just went for 3k$ with less than 10k kilos on the odo.
All it needed was a new tail plastic - no inspection was even required to get it back on the road.

G-ZUS
10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Does Calgary have anything like what SGI has in Saskatchewan where they auction salvage vehicles?

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/all_search.html

I know we have semi-private insurance but I was wondering if any major insurance companies have online auctions like this.

Kinda cool to see the different cars/motorcycles come up for auction.

Gives me some joy to fantasize about getting a lightly damaged vehicle for cheap and fixing it up.

A 2006 gsxr just went for 3k$ with less than 10k kilos on the odo.
All it needed was a new tail plastic - no inspection was even required to get it back on the road.

There are a couple here, Impact and Calgary Salvage Disposal come to mind. BUT good luck "getting a lightly damaged vehicle for cheap and fixing it up." The prices the cars fetch is just insane :barf:

roll_over
10-16-2013, 02:56 PM
That site is pretty neato

TheHumbleGeek
10-16-2013, 03:18 PM
You can check out reid's auctions, Michener Allen Auctions and a couple of other local auction houses, but im not sure if anyone deals with salvage in the calgary area.

FYI: Calgary parking also holds auctions where they sell vehicles that were impounded and then abandoned.

JRSC00LUDE
10-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Modelexis, one of my old buddies here (Saskatoon) used to do that all yhe time with bikes. Cheap to pick up and cheap to fix.

That's 10 yrs ago now but he would spend the winters fixing a few up and make good money in the spring while riding a new bike for free every season.

racerjim
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
could check out copart auto auctions, they do an online auction. Its like impact and calgary salvage as well.

Modelexis
10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by racerjim
could check out copart auto auctions, they do an online auction. Its like impact and calgary salvage as well.

I tried to bid but apparently you need a broker to bid!

ExtraSlow
10-17-2013, 10:53 PM
As far as I know, Impact does the vast majority of salvage auctions in Calgary, and you won't get any deals there. They are closely watched by at least 100 dealers, mechanics and body shops who are constantly looking for parts vehicles and a "sweet deal".

black300
10-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Has anyone used Copart before in Calgary?

It seems like some of the deals are good but I guess we will only know right before the end of the sale as buyers will bid higher than the vehicle worth.

Also, does a vehicle that has been written off due to hail damage need to be fixed in order to have it back on the road or can an individual just have it re-inspected & register it.