PDA

View Full Version : Turns out Maranello only works on "high end" cars...

JZX
10-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Alright so... I'm trying to fix some damage on the front of my JZX100 Chaser, so I decided to ask Maranello's if they could do it. I sent them an email with pictures, and after more than a week, this is the response I get.

"Hi Calvin, I’m sorry but first of all we would have to see the damage. Secondly, we work on high end imports only and nothing older than 2003.

Thanks.
Josie"

What? I thought Maranello's did general paint and repair work. And I'm pretty sure they don't only work on "high end imports". What the hell is going on? I really wanted to get Maranello to do my paintwork as I'm pretty sure they would be able to do an awesome job matching the pearl on my Chaser, but I guess if they can't, they cant.

So... what to do?

Yeah so, after seeing that I'm actually the one who's wrong here, I guess I'll take it to screaming paintworks. Had no idea maranello only worked on high end cars. Their website suggests nothing and here on beyond everyone's praising them about their awesome work, so I assumed they just do everything. Kinda a shitty assumption but I guess that's my fault.

Still though, it's kinda a shame that they only work on high end european cars. There's a lot of Japanese and USDM cars that deserve some attention too, but I guess thats why we go elsewhere.

... Guess I'll go in and see for myself. Can't hurt, and if they say they can't do it, they can't do it, and it's off to screamin for me.

KRyn
10-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Go to Screaming Paint Works?

95EG6P
10-16-2013, 02:33 PM
go to screaming they did my paintjob

BigShow
10-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I really wanted to get Maranello to do my paintwork...

So you sent them an email :dunno:
I would visit them in person and see what they say.

Neil4Speed
10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Go visit in person, or go to Screaming.

They worked on my Lexus a few years back, which is older and not high end.

JZX
10-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

So you sent them an email :dunno:
I would visit them in person and see what they say.

I was gonna take it in, but I wasn't done my new rad setup at the time haha. I probably still will.

JustinMCS
10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
It's known they turn away cars that are old and not a luxury german brand or higher end brand.

If you go there, you will see 90% BMW and then mercs, audis, etc, along with an exotic now and then.

AE92_TreunoSC
10-16-2013, 07:49 PM
:dunno: Why the hell is this confusing? You sent an impersonal email and they said no.

In person they will say now as well but I have no idea why you took this to beyond.

I worked with them for years. They are specifically for high end cars. They also charge as such. 90% of JDMs are beat to hell and have young owners who live payday to payday. I'd rather not deal with them myself.

Go somewhere else that actually wants your business.

Nismorphed
10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't go there, took them 52 days to repair my front bumper on my 2010 Audi that should have taken less than a week

tnuc
10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
yes they take soooooo long and are all over the place. I took mine to the enw dilawri body shop. quick and amazing

max_boost
10-16-2013, 08:53 PM
So you take it somewhere else.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Screaming paintworks or cosmos collision

sneek
10-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
Screaming paintworks or cosmos collision

I haven't heard too many good things about Loc at Cosmos lately. He used to be the go to guy for Porsche/Audi but I sense that reputation is disappearing.

JZX
10-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
:dunno: Why the hell is this confusing? You sent an impersonal email and they said no.

In person they will say now as well but I have no idea why you took this to beyond.

I worked with them for years. They are specifically for high end cars. They also charge as such. 90% of JDMs are beat to hell and have young owners who live payday to payday. I'd rather not deal with them myself.

Go somewhere else that actually wants your business.

Its mostly because everyone here is praising them for their awesome work. But yeah needless to way it's not like my Chaser's beat to hell either.

you&me
10-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by JZX

Yeah so, after seeing that I'm actually the one who's wrong here, I guess I'll take it to screaming paintworks. Had no idea maranello only worked on high end cars. Their website suggests nothing and here on beyond everyone's praising them about their awesome work, so I assumed they just do everything. Kinda a shitty assumption but I guess that's my fault.

Still though, it's kinda a shame that they only work on high end european cars. There's a lot of Japanese and USDM cars that deserve some attention too, but I guess thats why we go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, that's the best attitude.

Maranello's biggest issue is space and manpower. There's only so much shop space, and only so many good paint / body guys that are capable of delivering results to their standards that they have to (can be) picky about the type of business they take on. You can't blame them if they're booked up doing $10k+++ repairs on Ferraris and BMWs and don't want to take up space/manpower on a (no offence) lesser job. It's just business.

turbotrip
10-17-2013, 08:43 AM
maranello had a rediculous wait time so i took my car to contemporary coachworks and couldnt be happier

ercchry
10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
see this car?

http://lifewithjson.com/2013/10/15/poorform-stephs-lexus-gs/

yeah, get the guy who painted it to do yours... he does side work it will be way cheaper than taking it to maranello's and he will be excited to work on your car

pm if you want a name

JRSC00LUDE
10-17-2013, 09:08 AM
So......coles notes:

- OP makes complaint after being somewhat confused by local business and their response to inquiry.
- People offer explanations and opinions.
- OP reviews opinions, accepts answers as informative and constructive. Proceeds to continue on with positive attitude.

Gentlemen, mark it on your calendars. Mods, sticky this thread for rarity, it may be a first! :nut:

:thumbsup:

reiRei
10-17-2013, 09:08 AM
They worked on my 06 Lancer a number of years ago, it was a long wait time (almost a month to get my car back), I only took her to Maranello because of a suggestion of a friend, they did good work on the car, however there have been issues with the car's body work since getting work done there

I'd suggest taking your car elsewhere

Strider
10-17-2013, 09:11 AM
They did some repairs on my wife's Mazda3 about 5 years ago. At the time, the car was basically brand new when someone ran into it.

Fact is, Calgary has so much money and there's so many nice cars around now that they can be picky and take only the high dollar jobs if they want. No sense getting hurt over it... there's a few shops in town that are probably just as good or better if you're just looking for paintwork.

I think they have always had an informal rule of nothing over x number of years old / nothing with even a spec of rust though.

lilmira
10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Doesn't sound like they want your business, take it to someone who does.

They could've told you a long wait time to turn you around, the "high end" only thing is not the nicest way to put it IMO.

JZX
10-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Strider
They did some repairs on my wife's Mazda3 about 5 years ago. At the time, the car was basically brand new when someone ran into it.

Fact is, Calgary has so much money and there's so many nice cars around now that they can be picky and take only the high dollar jobs if they want. No sense getting hurt over it... there's a few shops in town that are probably just as good or better if you're just looking for paintwork.

I think they have always had an informal rule of nothing over x number of years old / nothing with even a spec of rust though.

It would have been awesome if they stated that on their site or something. Kinda misleading lol.

JZX
10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Well, I guess I'll be going to Screaming's or to the guy who did that PoorForm GS. Its paint, and the front bumpers already off, my only concern now is if they can match the pearl haha.

Any other suggestions?

heavyD
10-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by JZX

Any other suggestions?

Buy a better car that Maranello will work on. Problem solved.

silver_gs-R
10-17-2013, 10:32 AM
let me give you a piece of advice...just as a few of the other members already have.

you just sent an email, try visiting them in person. Maranello just refinished a full restoration on my 2000 acura integra. Gerry is nothing but an absolutely proffesional. Ive known him for years now and his work has been nothing but perfection every time. I know he will deny work over email wether its with pictures or without. go visit him explain to him what you would like to have done show him your car means a lot to you and Im betting you will have a much different response. dont come on here bashing a shop that you have never even taken the time to go and visit. best of luck!

Skyline_Addict
10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
from personal experience, e-mail is the worst way to get in touch with anyone in the auto service/sales industry. you'll be lucky if they (especially service people, as they're not sitting in front of a computer all day) even check their e-mail.

just show up in person or even call. you'll get a totally different experience and most likely a totally different person than the one on the e-mail.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
+1 for silver_gs-R

googe
10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
It's not bashing a shop to say what they said in their email response.

They don't like the car, take it somewhere else. Don't bother asking in person if they already gave you that response.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sneek

I haven't heard too many good things about Loc at Cosmos lately. He used to be the go to guy for Porsche/Audi but I sense that reputation is disappearing.

Really? That's a shame, he used to be the man.

cam_wmh
10-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by sneek

Loc, did impeccable work on my VW.

rage2
10-18-2013, 10:32 AM
I never noticed until today, but Maranello's used my photo of the F40, F50 and Enzo on their main page. I should give them a higher quality shot in exchange for less wait next time I need something done haha.

Graham_A_M
10-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JZX
Well, I guess I'll be going to Screaming's or to the guy who did that PoorForm GS. Its paint, and the front bumpers already off, my only concern now is if they can match the pearl haha.

Any other suggestions?
A co worker who is a real car nut would always take his cars to Cosmos Collision... I've no experience with them, but from what he rants & raves about, they seem decent.

I'd trust Screamin' long before anybody else though, they're a wicked place to go...
Fuck Maranello's, if they want to reject you for whatever reasons they can come up with, so be it. Its their loss of business.
Regardless of what I own, or need body work on, I'll never take it to them based on their attitude alone.
There are PLENTY of other body shops that are better deserving of my business then them. Too bad that they do such great bodywork, and yet maintain that attitude, I need about $50-60k (collectively) worth of body work & paint done on a couple of my trucks, but I sure wont even consider calling Maranello's for it.

JZX
10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Found this, guess I didn't look hard enough.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

Maranello is awesome. They will not work on domestic, cars with rust, cars older than 10 years old (some exceptions apply). I've brought a few cars to Maranello and they do excellent work.

Gonna call Dan at screamin paintworks later, and then maybe sometime next week take the Chaser in for a quote.

rage2
10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
A co worker who is a real car nut would always take his cars to Cosmos Collision... I've no experience with them, but from what he rants & raves about, they seem decent.
I've used Cosmos, and they're great.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Fuck Maranello's, if they want to reject you for whatever reasons they can come up with, so be it. Its their loss of business.
Regardless of what I own, or need body work on, I'll never take it to them based on their attitude alone.
There are PLENTY of other body shops that are better deserving of my business then them. Too bad that they do such great bodywork, and yet maintain that attitude, I need about $50-60k (collectively) worth of body work & paint done on a couple of my trucks, but I sure wont even consider calling Maranello's for it.
They're definately not losing any business. Fact is, they don't have the resources to work on anything more. They're the best in town in terms of workmanship, but it's a huge wait to just get in there and get anything done. Most of their clients have a handful of cars, so they don't care about the wait. They have deep pockets, so they don't care that it's much more expensive to get things done there.

They're not going to lose any sleep over your $50k worth of work, that's for sure.

BokCh0y
10-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by silver_gs-R
let me give you a piece of advice...just as a few of the other members already have.

you just sent an email, try visiting them in person. Maranello just refinished a full restoration on my 2000 acura integra. Gerry is nothing but an absolutely proffesional. Ive known him for years now and his work has been nothing but perfection every time. I know he will deny work over email wether its with pictures or without. go visit him explain to him what you would like to have done show him your car means a lot to you and Im betting you will have a much different response. dont come on here bashing a shop that you have never even taken the time to go and visit. best of luck!

THIS

and

Originally posted by rage2

I've used Cosmos, and they're great.

They're definately not losing any business. Fact is, they don't have the resources to work on anything more. They're the best in town in terms of workmanship, but it's a huge wait to just get in there and get anything done. Most of their clients have a handful of cars, so they don't care about the wait. They have deep pockets, so they don't care that it's much more expensive to get things done there.

They're not going to lose any sleep over your $50k worth of work, that's for sure.

THIS too.

I saw Rages car there in August sometime when I was picking up mine :D.

I've been to screaming paintworks too........I would recommend what silver_gs-r said and go to Maranello's in person. Jerry is great.

But it will take you a while to get in if you do and it will take a while to get it done. Took 7 weeks to work on mine, and I know most places would've done it much quicker.

Contemporary Coachworks, quality isn't the same as it was years ago. If you can get into Maranello, I am saying worth the wait.

01RedDX
10-18-2013, 02:53 PM

rage2
10-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I saw Rages car there in August sometime when I was picking up mine :D.
Yea, I went on vacation and dropped it off to get some stuff done. They had a family emergency, and didn't get to my car, so I have to wait again.

My car is really a Civic in there haha.

BokCh0y
10-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Yea, I went on vacation and dropped it off to get some stuff done. They had a family emergency, and didn't get to my car, so I have to wait again.

Yeah the family emergency was crappy. I didn't get a chance to thank Jerry for the excellent work.

Civic my ass man hahaha. Only "civic's" I see there are the 3 series BMW's HAHA. No offence to anyone!!!.

Mitsu3000gt
10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
They fixed up my S4. Best work I've seen come out of any body shop, ever. Utterly flawless. Took about a month to get in though. I have no regrets - body work needs to be done right the first time, or it will be nothing but headaches later. Insurance covered it 100% as well.

CanmoreOrLess
10-18-2013, 05:07 PM
The true Beyond Semi-Baller Test:

Maranello Auto Refinishing is willing to, or have, worked on my car in the past. All others need not apply.

That.Guy.S30
10-18-2013, 10:12 PM

haha if your car is a civic there mine is like a jalopy. That said my FJ will be going back there in December for paintwork. I am always happy with their work. They are a very friendly family.

Maybe, they will finally work on my S30 one.. ahhh one can dream.

sneek
10-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Really? That's a shame, he used to be the man.

Just to be clear, I was very happy with some work I had done at Cosmos. He has some rather unorthodox ways of quoting though. I needed a quote for repainting the rear bumper of an S4 and he told me "it costs what it costs - I fix R8...." Not the most useful information when you are trying to send somebody the bill for something.

If you google him the reviews don't seem to be wonderful either, so that is why I ended up taking the car to Maranello.

JZX
10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

haha if your car is a civic there mine is like a jalopy. That said my FJ will be going back there in December for paintwork. I am always happy with their work. They are a very friendly family.

Maybe, they will finally work on my S30 one.. ahhh one can dream.

Hahaha my car is essentially a JDM Camry, at least you drive a pretty awesome classic nissan. I can see why they won't work on my Chaser now.