PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Winter stuck / Recovery thread. If you need help, call us first!

Pages : [1] 2 3

spikerS
10-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Hello Beyond!

With the success of this last year, and listening to the radio's weather reports, I decided to start this again for this year. With snow almost upon us, might as well get this list up. Previous thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/362196/winter-stuck-recovery-thread-2012/)

Since people are always getting stuck, lets get a list going of people who are able to help out if they are needed. Lets keep it to people who are able to recover/ boost/ winch so that we don't wind up getting another person stuck in the same spot.

lfrjeuaqESk

Same as last year, stick to the template, and I will update this post with everyone's information.

*Legal Disclaimer* None of the people here are considered "professionals" nor do we make that representation. If you are looking for guaranteed coverage if the worst should happen during recovery, please give a reputable towing company a call instead.

Username: Spikers (Chris)
Area to Cover: I live in the North, but in a pinch, can travel anywhere in the city and Airdrie/Bearspaw
Vehicle: 2012 F-150 Supercrew
Equipment: 10-18,000lbs 3"x30' Recovery straps, Clevis Hooks, traction pads, transferable recovery points for 2" receivers, Booster cables, Jerry cans

Username: Btimbit (Brandon)
Area to Cover: Live in the south, but like spikers am willing to go anywhere
Vehicle: 2007 F-150 Supercrew
Equipment: Tow strap, Recovery strap, Booster cables, diagnostic equipment, tools (for tire changes, etc), Tim Hortans gift card.

Username: RickDaTuner (Ricky)
Area to Cover: Canmore/Banff and Area, willing to help on the 1/1A between Calgary & Canmore
Vehicle: 2010 Totoya Tacoma
Equipment: Gas Can 30L - 2500lbs Tow Strap X2 - Manual Winch - Sand - Booster Cables - Auto Service Tech - Tools - Light Diagnostic Equipment.

Username: FraserB (Fraser)
Area to Cover: Prefer to keep it in the south, can go north in a pinch
Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Equipment: 17,000lb recovery straps, 10,000lb winch, tons of tools, first aid and roadside safety gear, transferable recovery points, extra shackles, shovel, more than enough light, tons of gas, booster cables, on board air

Username: BerserkerCatSplat (Trevor)
Area to Cover: North Calgary, can roam if needed
Vehicle: 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Equipment: Recovery straps, 8500lb winch, tools, first aid, transferable recovery point, shackles, shovel, lights galore, booster cables, on-board air

Username: humz (matt)
Area to Cover: Deep south but will go out west of the city on 22x as far as mclean creek
Vehicle: 2010 frontier
Equipment: Recovery straps, 8500 lb winch, hi-lift, lights, booster cables, air, shackles/hooks.

Username: firebane (Curtis)
NOTE: After 6pm weekdays; Anytime on weekends; Can text as well
Area to Cover: Southwest (Westbrook); Will travel to other places
Vehicle: 1998 Chevrolet 4x4 Heavy Half
Equipment: Jerry Cans, Jumper Cables, Warm Vehicle

Username: Drooool (Soren)
Area to Cover: Deep SE Calgary. Don't mind traveling around the south (further for coffee!)
Vehicle: 1999 Ford Explorer (Exploder) Sport
Equipment: 25000lb strap (and others), jerry can, hi-lift, booster cables, med kit, lights, tools, shovel
Vehicle: 2004 F150 (Truck Norris) Lariat
Equipment: 25000lb strap (and others), booster cables, med kit, tools, shovel

Username: Kloubek (Jeff)
Area to Cover: Great North Northwest. (Kincora, Evanston, Hidden Valley, etc)
Vehicle: 2003 TJ Sport
Equipment: Recovery strap, hi-lift, booster cables, tools, shovel

Username: schurchill39 (Scott)
Area to Cover: Cranston, Auburn Bay and anywhere along hwy 2 to Okotoks
Vehicle: 2005 F-150 Supercrew Lariat
Equipment: Recovery straps, Clevises, transferable recovery points for 2" receivers, Booster cables, Jerry can

Username: Bseries-teg (Matt)
Area to Cover: i live in the deepdeep south, but will travel.
Vehicle: 1992 toyota 4runner
Equipment: 10,000lbs tow strap, Clevis Hooks, Booster cables, Jerry cans, shovel, warm truck.

btimbit
10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Was just thinking of this thread

Username: Btimbit (Brandon)
Area to Cover: Live in the south, but like spikers am willing to go anywhere
Vehicle: 2007 F-150 Supercrew
Equipment: Tow strap, Recovery strap, Booster cables, diagnostic equipment, tools (for tire changes, etc), Tim Hortans gift card.

RickDaTuner
10-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Username: RickDaTuner (Ricky)
Area to Cover: Canmore/Banff and Area, willing to help on the 1/1A between Calgary & Canmore
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Equipment: Gas Can 30L - 2500lbs Tow Strap X2 - Manual Winch - Sand - Booster Cables - Auto Service Tech - Tools - Light Diagnostic Equipment.

Sugarphreak
10-16-2013, 08:10 PM

master hec0
10-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Username: master hec0
Area to Cover: Okotoks/Calgary area primarily. Will go as far south as High river and as north as south Calgary and black diamond millarville area if available. but im not afraid to go further for a beyonder in need.
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Ranger
Equipment: Gas Can - 20,000lbs Tow Strap various smaller straps too - Booster Cables and tools (also an apprentice mechanic)

Axe
10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
+1 on the Kudos - thank you for offering that service to Beyond members!

FraserB
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Username: FraserB (Fraser)
Area to Cover: Prefer to keep it in the south, can go north in a pinch
Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Equipment: 17,000lb recovery straps, 10,000lb winch, tons of tools, first aid and roadside safety gear, transferable recovery points, extra shackles, shovel, more than enough light, tons of gas, booster cables, on board air

**Availability depends on out of town work schedule**

AndyL
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Damnit I gotta get my hands on a SL16 5th wheel hitch so I can mount that winch in the truck... Forgot to hunt for one this summer...

I'll be in once I get the gear loaded up

Shlade
10-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Good deal guys that's great.

conschoi
10-16-2013, 11:30 PM
great ppl great city, good job guys!!

btimbit
10-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Spikers, I updated my post with some more equipment.

Just to add as well, I'm not a professional. In the past I have opted to call a tow truck vs helping someone out myself, just based on the scope of what would have been required to get a vehicle out undamaged. I've done this many times successfully, and like to think I know my limits pretty well, but in the rare case that something goes wrong, neither myself or Beyond will be held responsible for it. I'll always repeat this in person too.

/fine print

But hey, If I show up and can't/don't want to do it, at least you have someone to grab some coffee with while you wait for a tow truck.

Nice edit Rick :rofl: "Totoya" Tacoma. Sounds exotic

spikerS
10-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Nice edit Rick :rofl: "Totoya" Tacoma. Sounds exotic

I am not that baller. Best I am going to be able to afford is The budget brand Tim Hortons.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Magicked myself onto the list.

Just to add as well, I'm not a professional. In the past I have opted to call a tow truck vs helping someone out myself, just based on the scope of what would have been required to get a vehicle out undamaged. I've done this many times successfully, and like to think I know my limits pretty well, but in the rare case that something goes wrong, neither myself or Beyond will be held responsible for it. I'll always repeat this in person too.

Same goes for me. If you want guaranteed service, call a tow truck. If I'm not comfortable with attempting recovery on your vehicle, I will tell you to call a tow truck.

RickDaTuner
10-17-2013, 11:06 AM
:D :thumbsup: :poosie:

Skyline_Addict
10-17-2013, 11:39 AM
thanks guys. don't think i'll ever need to use the service, but very nice to know its there!

HomespunLobster
10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Tow truck drivers are paid to do this job. I understand people want to help out of the goodness of their hearts. I know on highway it`s illegal to try and pull someone out of the ditch, since it poses a danger to the person being pulled out and the person pulling out.
That and tow trucks are insured, equipped, and they are trained (If not they`ve done it a couple times) to get someone out of the ditch.
I've pulled out friends vehicles from the ditch, them knowing it's either already damaged or a POS winter beater. But i've had some sketchy moments doing it.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by spikers

I am not that baller. Best I am going to be able to afford is The budget brand Tim Hortons.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5RLR-H2GPCc/TKpAYJXqJbI/AAAAAAAAACI/MGIpv1Bcgag/s1600/doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Tow truck drivers are paid to do this job. I understand people want to help out of the goodness of their hearts. I know on highway it`s illegal to try and pull someone out of the ditch, since it poses a danger to the person being pulled out and the person pulling out.

Last winter I pulled an RCMP car out of the ditch... All he said is I should get an orange beacon to work on the side of the road like that.

spikerS
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM
That and tow trucks are insured, equipped, and they are trained (If not they`ve done it a couple times) to get someone out of the ditch.
I've pulled out friends vehicles from the ditch, them knowing it's either already damaged or a POS winter beater. But i've had some sketchy moments doing it.

this was all discussed in the other thread, and basically you have posted an old wives tale. We have even had our insurance guru check out liability issues, and everything came up golden.

Basically it comes down to your comfort level. If you would like to have a tow truck come out, that's cool, no one will persuade you to do otherwise. If the wait is too long, or whatever reason, we are just saying you can call us, and we will see if we can help. Nothing more.

And I have yarded out a CPS and RCMP unit in the past, neither of them said anything about it or needing special lights.

AndyL
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM
and they are trained (If not they`ve done it a couple times) to get someone out of the ditch.
And some of us might be slightly qualified to do this work...
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=329164
:poosie:

I'm still debating beacons... Drivers on highways focus on them - and drive towards them... But sometimes they're worth their weight in gold...

RickDaTuner
10-17-2013, 05:51 PM
I'll be honest and say that I can't do much In terms of ditch recovery, I don't have the truck weight to gain enough traction for anything bigger than a small sedan.

But if your battery dies, you run out of gas, or have other car relayed issues while traveling, then I'd be more than happy to help.:thumbsup:

master hec0
10-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

I'm still debating beacons... Drivers on highways focus on them - and drive towards them... But sometimes they're worth their weight in gold...

I ran a beacon last winter during my recoveries and I would highly recommend it. the beacon will make you much more visible during poor visibility conditions.

spikerS
10-17-2013, 06:49 PM

I suppose they can't hurt. You got any extras kicking around?

Offroad
10-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Ran a beacon last winter in Inuvik.........oh wait wasn't pulling anyone out ....oh wait I did once.....and it wasn't my beacon.....right btimbit ? :burnout: :poosie: :thumbsup: :bigpimp: :devil:

AndyL
10-17-2013, 07:14 PM
In my experience its those foggy nights that it works... On a straight stretch of road it attracts the morons into your bumper...

I have none - was pricing out some xenon strobes today, probably gonna eBay or online some as they're stupid $ locally... Unless anyone knows a source - all the ones I found for the little 1x2 ambers was in the 80-100 range, but are <20 online...

btimbit
10-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Offroad
Ran a beacon last winter in Inuvik.........oh wait wasn't pulling anyone out ....oh wait I did once.....and it wasn't my beacon.....right btimbit ? :burnout: :poosie: :thumbsup: :bigpimp: :devil:

Don't mock my beacon, we worked hard swiping that from Dave repeatedly.

In my experience its those foggy nights that it works... On a straight stretch of road it attracts the morons into your bumper...

I have none - was pricing out some xenon strobes today, probably gonna eBay or online some as they're stupid $ locally... Unless anyone knows a source - all the ones I found for the little 1x2 ambers was in the 80-100 range, but are &lt;20 online...

http://www.lightdepot.ca/index.php?cPath=24_51

Had those $30 ones (Two sets, one front one back) before on my old truck, they worked pretty well especially for the price. Bright enough, but not too bright to be a distraction

spikerS
10-17-2013, 08:30 PM
well if you guys decide to get some lights, let me know, and put me down for 2.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't know how much longer I'll have this truck so don't want to bother doing a clean install for something like that. Might just get the Jim Lahey special and throw it on the dash or something if visibility is low

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-12-VOLT-LED-STROBE-EMERGENCY-BEACON-MAGNETIC-BASE-POWER-CORD-4-SNOW-PLOW-/121195961736?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c37d79d88&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

spikerS
10-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Beacon light at CT (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoCustomPerformance/NeonLEDAutomotiveLights/PRD~0203425P/Blazer+Baja+Tough+LED+Alert+Beacon.jsp?locale=en)

found one cheap at CT. this going to be any good?

btimbit
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
That looks pretty good, maybe I'll grab that one. It'd get used so rarely I couldn't imagine spending any more than that

Sugarphreak
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM

btimbit
10-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ I think princess Auto has a ton of these for dirt cheap

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/search/searchResults.jsp;jsessionid=091E0105D92FF25B7DD5550696400C65.com2?_dyncharset=utf-8&_dynSessConf=1066421131481129506&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSort=numprop&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSort=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortProp=userReviewRating&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortProp=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortOrder=descending&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortOrder=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=15&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.saveRequest=true&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.saveRequest=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=1&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=true&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=5&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=true&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=+&question=beacon&_D%3Aquestion=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.search=+Search+&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.search=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.search=+Search+&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.search=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Ffilesystem%2FDocumentQueryFormHandler.search=+Search+&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Ffilesystem%2FDocumentQueryFormHandler.search=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.search=Search&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.search=+&_DARGS=%2Fpal%2Finclude%2Fheader.jsp.searchForm

I bet these are on sale every second week, I might take a look there too

spikerS
10-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I checked PA as well, this one is the cheapest I have found so far.

HuMz
10-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Username: humz (matt)
Area to Cover: Deep south but will go out west of the city on 22x as far as mclean creek
Vehicle: 2010 frontier
Equipment: Recovery straps, 8500 lb winch, hi-lift, lights, booster cables, air, shackles/hooks.

firebane
10-18-2013, 05:45 PM
What if your truck isn't setup to pull people out? But you could provide services like boosts, warmth and gas?

spikerS
10-18-2013, 09:04 PM
not a problem, post up and I will update the original posting.

firebane
10-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Username: firebane (Curtis)
NOTE: After 6pm weekdays; Anytime on weekends; Can text as well
Area to Cover: Southwest (Westbrook); Will travel to other places
Vehicle: 1998 Chevrolet 4x4 Heavy Half
Equipment: Jerry Cans, Jumper Cables, Warm Vehicle

btimbit
10-18-2013, 10:36 PM
What makes you say your truck isn't set up for recoveries? I did lots with my '97 heavy half last year.

Edit; Guess you might not have the equipment, silly post

firebane
10-18-2013, 10:45 PM
What makes you say your truck isn't set up for recoveries? I did lots with my '97 heavy half last year.

Edit; Guess you might not have the equipment, silly post

Yeah right now I don't have recovery equipment. It is on my list and do intend to get some just haven't had a moment yet.

spikerS
10-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Not that I expect to be needed this weekend, *BUMP* just in case!

btimbit
10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm free all night and all day tomorrow if anyone needs.

Drive safe!

BerserkerCatSplat
10-27-2013, 10:07 PM
If anyone's feeling particularly ambitious, there's some idiot stuck in the Center St./Harvest Hills Blvd. bus trap. :rofl:

MGCM
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
If anyone's feeling particularly ambitious, there's some idiot stuck in the Center St./Harvest Hills Blvd. bus trap. :rofl:

lol i saw that guy, he got stuck GOOD too, looked like almost all 4 tires were in, its only a Cobalt or G5/Pursuit should be fairly easy to yank out

Boosted131
10-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Coming back from Maclean creek there was a pathfinder in the ditch and couldn't get out. We stopped, hooked it up to the diesel and out it came :)

Drooool
10-30-2013, 11:20 PM
I would love to help out any beyonders in need. Done a few recoveries and I plan on being out and about all winter looking for people that have been ditched.

Username: Drooool (Soren)
Area to Cover: Deep SE Calgary. Don't mind traveling around the south (further for coffee!)
Vehicle: 1999 Ford Explorer (Exploder) Sport
Equipment: 25000lb strap (and others), jerry can, hi-lift, booster cables, med kit, lights, tools, shovel

Vehicle: 2004 F150 (Truck Norris) Lariat
Equipment: 25000lb strap (and others), booster cables, med kit, tools, shovel

master hec0
11-02-2013, 01:25 PM
And so it begins.

_MR2kEDxsoU

AndyL
11-03-2013, 09:29 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131103_183125_zps02793774.jpg

Well guess I'm officially on the list since I had to load up and clean up my wife's mess (k2500 dodged my wifes off highway excursion - and wasn't able to drive right out like she did)

Took a 7ton mobile mechanic with chains and a HEAVY right foot to gitrout... The 1500 and f350 just got us nowhere with him all high centered...

Andy 403-402-2O29
Dodge 1500 rear tow points (really dodge? No fronts wtf?) Plenty of straps, shackles

Working on the winch mount... I'm allover hells half acre every day but home is beiseker.

Unknown303
11-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Dodge 1500 rear tow points (really dodge? No fronts wtf?) Plenty of straps, shackles [/B]

Depending on the model fronts aren't included. But they are only about 100 dollars from the dealership and super easy to install (P#82210967 maybe??).

AndyL
11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Mmm... they're on the list, but I'll probably just focus on getting the winch/5th converted into a mini wrecker boom... That'll be more gooder...

I still say stupid dodge :)

FraserB
11-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it out Andy, gotta figure out why the Jeep had a serp belt for dinner tonight.

AndyL
11-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Its a jeep ;) you should know why ;)

LOL - no worries, got him out without anyone dieing or an all nighter recovery... All that mattered...

Unknown303
11-03-2013, 10:17 PM
If people need help you can always give me a shout as well.

Username: Unknown303
Area to Cover: SW Calgary (But damn near anywhere if I'm in the mood)
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Equipment: Gas can - Recovery straps - Booster Cables.

Unknown303
11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone in this thread want to get in on some lights to help those night recoveries?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/376196/hanma-led-light-order-again-the-winter-2013-edition/

AndyL
11-07-2013, 11:45 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-30CM-12-Black-32LEDs-SMD-LED-Scanner-Strobe-Flash-Strip-Light-Amber-Yellow-/321243249344?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acb96fac0

Ok, these arrived... Wasn't saying much till I saw them - because some of the blinky LED lights are... Pathetic... And at 8$ - I was leaning more to pathetic than good...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152029115950185

good enough to make the nexus4 go insane on autofocus/exposure :)

Now how to wire em in? Apparently i need some canbus dealer programing to turn on any of those 'spare' fuse spots (as they all test 0v but have wires connected)... Starting to think since I'm going to mount them on the rack - I'll just tie into the 12v / gnd with a 7pin trailer plug... Then f*ck the switch etc - just plug into the trailer when I want them lit.

Unknown303
11-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Or get a wireless controller from princess auto. tie the trailer wiring into the controller / controller to lights and the wireless unit in truck to trigger them.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/12v-Accessories/12V-Wireless-Remote-Vehicle-Kit/8003441.p

Kloubek
11-08-2013, 12:05 AM
I am going to put my Jeep up for sale, but until it sells (or again when I get another offroader) I can help out if required.

Username: Kloubek (Jeff)
Area to Cover: Great North Northwest. (Kincora, Evanston, Hidden Valley, etc)
Vehicle: 2003 TJ Sport
Equipment: Recovery strap, hi-lift, booster cables, tools, shovel

94boosted
11-13-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm not stuck....but sort of related.... does anyone have access to a car hauler? I need to haul my vette from here to Bragg Creek and I don't really trust tow companies. I'd rent a car hauler and do it myself but I don't have access to a tow vehicle with trailer brake control.

AndyL
11-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Uhauls use surge brakes - no controller needed...

94boosted
11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Uhauls use surge brakes - no controller needed...

One of these you mean?

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT

spikerS
11-13-2013, 11:30 AM
if you get the trailer, I don't mind hauling it.

94boosted
11-13-2013, 01:25 PM
^ Thanks Spikers but if I really don't need trailer brake control just a 2" hitch I can use my dads Honda Ridgeline I think

spikerS
11-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
^ Thanks Spikers but if I really don't need trailer brake control just a 2&quot; hitch I can use my dads Honda Ridgeline I think

I don't think you want to do that...

Ridgelines are only rated for 5000lbs towing, and the u-haul is like 2200lbs on it's own... Add a 3300lbs Vette on top, and you are over weight by 10%

schurchill39
11-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Hey Spikers, add me to the list.

Username: schurchill39 (Scott)
Area to Cover: Cranston, Auburn Bay and anywhere along hwy 2 to Okotoks
Vehicle: 2005 F-150 Supercrew Lariat
Equipment: Recovery straps, Clevises, transferable recovery points for 2" receivers, Booster cables, Jerry can

spikerS
11-16-2013, 03:05 PM
the OP has been updated with every one's info.

spikerS
12-02-2013, 02:21 PM
OK. seriously. I am frostbitten, tired, down 2 clevis hooks, and a whole lot of dignity.

I would be towing one person, and another would ask "How am I supposed to get out". I would say be smart and stay home, only to tow them back 15 mins later. Just can't work with stupid.

However, anyone want to test their recovery skills, head up to redstone or skyview. So much drifting snow over there, no one is moving, yet everyone wants to. So many people with winters on thinking that it makes them invincible, so they plow into 3-4ft high drifts thinking they will make it through, only to have me tow them out and back to their house...

I think it created a culture of, well if I can't make it, the big red truck will tow me back.

after the 7th or 8th one, just packed up my shit, jumped the curb, and played dodge the pylons, and GTFO!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-02-2013, 02:32 PM
OK. seriously. I am frostbitten, tired, down 2 clevis hooks, and a whole lot of dignity.

I would be towing one person, and another would ask &quot;How am I supposed to get out&quot;. I would say be smart and stay home, only to tow them back 15 mins later. Just can't work with stupid.

However, anyone want to test their recovery skills, head up to redstone or skyview. So much drifting snow over there, no one is moving, yet everyone wants to. So many people with winters on thinking that it makes them invincible, so they plow into 3-4ft high drifts thinking they will make it through, only to have me tow them out and back to their house...

I think it created a culture of, well if I can't make it, the big red truck will tow me back.

after the 7th or 8th one, just packed up my shit, jumped the curb, and played dodge the pylons, and GTFO!

I know when I left my place at Coventry there were already people stuck, I can't wait to go fuck around when I get home.

Unknown303
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm sure glad I'm just relaxing getting a tattoo done today.

AndyL
12-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm about 8 recoveries in on the day... And had to have a neighbor drag my stuck ass out while trailblazing a drifted intersection...

Lost one of my tow hitch cotter pins... Peeled the wire out of one blinky led light somehow?

Good times good times...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I am stuck in the industrial area right by Coventry.

spikerS
12-02-2013, 08:58 PM
shit. Baygirl has my truck down at chinook otherwise I would be there for ya.

Sugarphreak
12-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Hey Cos where are you, I know you live close lol!

bourge73
12-02-2013, 09:07 PM
You can come grab my jeep if you need
I'm in Coventry

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
You can come grab my jeep if you need
I'm in Coventry

My girlfriend is on her way in her Jeep and my buddy is on standby with his Pathfinder too, but thanks for the offer.

I am about to lose my man card if my girlfriend successfully rescues me...

roopi
12-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I am about to lose my man card if my girlfriend successfully rescues me...

:rofl: You better start digging before she gets there.

codetrap
12-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I did 5 impromptu rescues today as well. The only reason my name isn't in this thread offering up is I'm oncall 24x7 for the wife right now and I have to stick close to home for her. But if you're up in Coventry, Spikers can get ahold of me instantly if there's something he can't help with.

Boosted131
12-03-2013, 12:49 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1473023_10151748175467217_1908669715_n.jpg

Just give er some gas, she'll go.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Holy crap, where is that?

Cos
12-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Canucks3322
12-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Not in any kind of rush but my Pathfinder is stuck on 144th ave rural road heading into Evansridge...gonna go back to bed now but if anyone can help this afternoon, I'll gladly pay you...Not sure how deep the drift is now though I'll go check out out first when there's light out...Just pm me your number and Il call you this afternoon.

Cos
12-03-2013, 08:43 AM

dirtsniffer
12-03-2013, 09:01 AM

I know when I left my place at Coventry there were already people stuck, I can't wait to go fuck around when I get home.

6 hours later......

I am stuck in the industrial area right by Coventry.

:rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

6 hours later......

:rofl:

That sad part was I got stuck helping other people.

Anyway no loss of man card, gf didn't engage 4x4 and got herself stuck coming to get me, so I managed to get her Jeep going and did all the work myself, then got the other two people out.

avishal26
12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I just helped a few people in our cul-de-sac today in Evanston... just by pushing stuck cars... lol not with my vehicle.

I was able to drive out fine but there were two cars stuck on the way and then one stuck at the end of our circle with no way for me to go around... so.. taking a sick day!

Boosted131
12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Where are you guys hooking up to tow cars with no tow hooks? Had to pull out a managers car by hooking around his wheel... Just went very very slowly and it came out no problem

BerserkerCatSplat
12-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Depends on the vehicle, and depends on how stuck. Usually I try to get an axle strap around something beefy (and go slowly) if there's nothing factory-designed for pulling on.

Boosted131
12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Something beefy such as an a arm? This car was hardly stuck but 7 people couldn't push it. Pretty much idled it out in lo gear

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
If it doesn't have a decent tow point, they can either hook it up themselves and take the risk or else no go for me.

I'm debating getting a truck and selling my Subaru now lol.

Boosted131
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Well I got the pull out of the day. Ups truck burried in snow, tried to pull it out and couldn't budge it. Another dodge diesel came by and couldn't move him either. Then we hooked them up in a chain and wit about 20 tugs we finally got er out!

AndyL
12-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Cruise loop if you have a 30' 3" strap.

spikerS
12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
^^got ya beat, pulled out a tractor (no trailer) out of a drift over by PA this morning on my way to get some new supplies.

FWIW, PA has a 10,000lbs breaking point tow strap with 2 hooks on either end for $14.99 right now. I snagged one for going around axles, A-arms and wheels if there are no factory tow points to be found.

All in all today, I towed out another 8 or 9 cars today, most of them right in coventry.

Best one of the day, Towed one guy in a honda civic out of an intersection by the movie theaters in Coventry/Panorama, only to get yelled at by a driver because i stopped him for 5 seconds while I pulled the guy through the intersection. after un-hooking, I drive down the road to find him stuck trying to get onto Country hills blvd. Guess who was really humble and quiet when I stopped and asked if he needed help...:rofl: The meanness in me wanted to stop, point and laugh, and then keep driving, but I yanked him out too.

But seriously, I was stopping so often to pull people out, I just started leaving my tow stap attached to my truck, and throwing the other end into the box.

spikerS
12-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Cruise loop if you have a 30' 3&quot; strap.

Got a how-to for that? last time I looked I didn't find anything on how to do it.

AndyL
12-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry cruze loop - damn spelling... Basically your using seat mounts b pillars and geometry to recover... The 3" width and 30' lengths are not guidelines, 2" straps or shorter straps will cause damage to seats and rockers

spikerS
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
gotcha. well, i only have a 2" straps for now.

I had success yesterday with looping through the 2 front tires of a charger yesterday, and then chained to my truck. Would not do something like that on dry ground, but on a snow covered street, it worked like a charm.

AndyL
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Through the spokes of mags/alloys is commonly used too - and generally recognized as safe - suspension loads are way higher than a recovery load - but I wouldn't tug on one...

BerserkerCatSplat
12-03-2013, 02:37 PM
That Cruse Loop is a really interesting technique, needs a pretty darn long strap though.

The nice thing about this snow is that it's pretty low-resistance - pulls are usually pretty smooth and light.

spikerS
12-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Through the spokes of mags/alloys is commonly used too - and generally recognized as safe - suspension loads are way higher than a recovery load - but I wouldn't tug on one...

Yeah, i wont try any snatches on anything but a proper recovery point, but looping a lower A-arm, I will ease into constant pressure, and if I can't drag it free, I stop there.

I am noticing a lot of vehicles don't have loop recovery points, and it is forcing me to be a bit creative.

403ep3
12-03-2013, 03:24 PM
^^got ya beat, pulled out a tractor (no trailer) out of a drift over by PA this morning on my way to get some new supplies.

FWIW, PA has a 10,000lbs breaking point tow strap with 2 hooks on either end for $14.99 right now. I snagged one for going around axles, A-arms and wheels if there are no factory tow points to be found.

All in all today, I towed out another 8 or 9 cars today, most of them right in coventry.

Best one of the day, Towed one guy in a honda civic out of an intersection by the movie theaters in Coventry/Panorama, only to get yelled at by a driver because i stopped him for 5 seconds while I pulled the guy through the intersection. after un-hooking, I drive down the road to find him stuck trying to get onto Country hills blvd. Guess who was really humble and quiet when I stopped and asked if he needed help...:rofl: The meanness in me wanted to stop, point and laugh, and then keep driving, but I yanked him out too.

But seriously, I was stopping so often to pull people out, I just started leaving my tow stap attached to my truck, and throwing the other end into the box.

Red Civic?

If so that was my friend :clap:

Boosted131
12-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Well I got the pull out of the day. Ups truck burried in snow, tried to pull it out and couldn't budge it. Another dodge diesel came by and couldn't move him either. Then we hooked them up in a chain and wit about 20 tugs we finally got er out!
Funniest part about this is a 5 ton cube truck watched us pull him out, then decided to give it a go himself and got just as stuck.. The guy with the red dodge said he's an idiot and left, and there was no way I could get him out.

Canucks3322
12-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos

If it wasn't the opposite end of the City.....

When I first saw it I thought of Evanston so I was all over this. Good luck.

No man I'm just above Evanston, so I go up Centre Street North and then make a left at 144 Ave, my Pathfinder is stuck about half way to the end where 144 ave cuts off and you turn left into Evansridge....so a tractor has plowed thru a whole lane, but left my Pathfinder there...so ya if anyone can pull me out that'd be great haha if you happen to drive by I left my name and number and address there on the drivers seat. Its a matte black 98 Pathfinder...

Cos
12-03-2013, 04:32 PM