PDA

View Full Version : Going About Switching Cars?

Pages : [1] 2 3

pinnochio5
10-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Hello,

I have a question about switching cars, and the payments.

Currently I'm driving a 2013 Civic LX sedan (barely put 2000km on it), which is priced at the dealership on the statement at $26,000 (bunch of extra features added). My parents got it for me, and are the ones financing it (I pay for insurance, gas, maintenance). I believe the monthly payments are around $400-$440 on a 48 month term. I like the car, it's fairly good on gas when the econ is on, it's a great student car don't get me wrong. My dad told me if I ever want to switch cars that I MUST speak with him, and try to convince him in an appropriate manner about the car I would like to switch to and have valid arguments about switching.

So far I do like the car, but another car has caught my eye and I'm very interested in switching.

I would like to switch to a 2013/14 Chrysler 300C priced at $38,000. I personally believe this car is amazing for the price. I don't even like american cars all that much, but man this thing brings it's goods to the table. 365HP, 390-lb-ft of torque and a V8.

Anyways, one of the dealerships in Calgary is offering just some jaw-dropping deals on financing. They call it customer choice financing. I can get the car on a 96 month term (yes I realize this is a damn long time, but I can still see myself driving this car even in 6-8 years) @ 4.19%, and the monthly payments would be $487. The AWD monthly rate is $496 though i'm sure I can do some negotiations at the dealership (my dad is great at this) and get it down to the price of the RWD, but am unsure of RWD vs. AWD. The insurance rate won't change much (the 300C has more safety features) My parents say that I will have to take over payments in a few years, and I am fine with this.

At the moment, the only thing that the Civic commands is efficiency. The civic is doing a respectable 22mpg while the 300C is doing about 17mpg, but still not all that bad. Also I guess I'll have to get the expensive gas right, 91 Octane? Though I could probably get away with filling with the regular.

I also receive a $300 per month allowance to spend how I like (save/use it to pay for school), so I can use a bit of this to make up for the small difference in monthly payments.

I feel that if I can form a good enough argument my dad will see me through and give some consideration. I was wondering how the switch would be gone about? How do I switch from financing a Civic to financing the 300C? Is it possible? I need some good arguments, some criticism about this choice is very welcome as well.

I need some info on how this can be done (the payment switch from civic to 300C)? I need good arguments I can use, as well as criticisms (he will most likely like to see pros/cons) I want to get all the info I can get before I sit down and talk to him about this, I will probably form some sort of a report before hand.

Thanks guys!

muse017
10-17-2013, 02:21 AM
96 months? BAD BAD Choice period
Get one when YOU can afford it.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Speaking from experience, if you're not working a full time job, just stick with the cheaper option. Even if your dad is paying for most of it, I'm sure the increase in financing, gas (No you couldn't get away with filling with regular in the v8, you need premium), insurance, upkeep, etc, will start to eat up that $300/month slush fund pretty damn quick.

You're in a very good position to think long term here. Imagine the interest on a 96month deal. That's no screamer of an interest rate either (Just under $7000 I think?) it's not bad, but not enough to make that switch worthwhile in my opinion. With interest that's essentially making the car cost a bit under $45 000. That's not a car worth $45 000, especially as a student. Even if you sell it a few years in, you're not going to make all that much back. Being a Chrysler, you might not even make enough on the used market to cover what you'd still owe on it. Not to mention the money lost on getting rid of the Civic this soon.

I did something similar in/right after school. Got rid of the ol' dependable Cavalier for something much nicer. That decision had potential to screw me over big time, and if I didn't get rid of it when I did I'd probably still be living at my parents. Seemingly small decision but big consequences.

Everyone here understands, we love cars and I'm sure most of us are always keeping an eye out for a way to trade up. But my advice is to try to think long term here. The civic is a good car, be proud of it. I was driving a piece of crap when I was in school.

a61z
10-17-2013, 02:24 AM
youre gonna need some hella convincing for your dad.

you estimate that your civic was about $26,000
300c @ $496/m x 96m = over $47,000

the civic is financed, which means your dad owns it but is paying it off gradually. if he wants to get rid of it, he needs to sell it. he going to take a pretty decent hit selling a car that he just bought.

then, after losing good a chunk of that $26,000, you are asking him to purchase a vehicle for MORE THAN DOUBLE what he just sold the civic for.

hope that helps to put this into perspective for you. i think you are seeing this as "Hey I'll chip in an extra $35/month and move up from a civic to a 300c" and your biggest concern is the extra couple cents for premium gas.

depends on your dad though i guess. good luck dude.

e31
10-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Coles Notes: Generous parents buy some little bitch a new car; ungrateful kid wants something with more power so he can wrap it around a telephone pole while texting.

Seriously, take your $300 allowance and buy a shit-beater, then do the repairs yourself and build some character, who knows maybe get a few scars (chicks dig scars right?).

btimbit
10-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by e31
Coles Notes: Generous parents buy some little bitch a new car; ungrateful kid wants something with more power so he can wrap it around a telephone pole while texting.

Seriously, take your $300 allowance and buy a shit-beater, then do the repairs yourself and build some character, who knows maybe get a few scars (chicks dig scars right?).

:werd: Besides, despite what people may say, bitches loved that Cavalier I had.

As a student, you risk looking like a douche driving a car you obviously aren't paying for yourself.

amear
10-17-2013, 02:34 AM
How old are you OP? I would go out and work and buy my own shit than have my parents blow money on me. They've done it for long enough and they have better shit to worry about.

keep the civic and save up until YOU have enough to afford a 300c and than return the civic back to your parents.
Also keep in mind, maintenance, insurance, gas, and parts will be a lot higher than your civic. And no i'm not taking a few extra dollars. Guaranteed your insurance is going to be through the roof if its on your name. For gas you'll be lucky if you hit 17mpg, with all that power you wont resist.

my 0.02

pinnochio5
10-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by amear
How old are you OP? I would go out and work and buy my own shit than have my parents blow money on me. They've done it for long enough and they have better shit to worry about.

keep the civic and save up until YOU have enough to afford a 300c and than return the civic back to your parents.
Also keep in mind, maintenance, insurance, gas, and parts will be a lot higher than your civic. And no i'm not taking a few extra dollars. Guaranteed your insurance is going to be through the roof if its on your name. For gas you'll be lucky if you hit 17mpg, with all that power you wont resist.

my 0.02

Trust me, when I have the kind of money to afford the 300C myself a 300C would be my last choice. I'm starting med school next September and was thinking about a car that I could drive till my late 20s. I won't be making any average income till my mid 20s when residency starts (and that is around 50k if I am matched by the gods). I do work, but only from April-September (however this is for school payment).

btimbit
10-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by pinnochio5

Trust me, when I have the money to afford the 300C myself a 300C would be my last choice.

This right here holds the answer to what you should do I think. The risk isn't worth it in my opinion, doubly so if it's not for something you really love.

The Civic might be boring, but it's a damn good car.

pinnochio5
10-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

This right here holds the answer to what you should do I think. The risk isn't worth it in my opinion, doubly so if it's not for something you really love.

The Civic might be boring, but it's a damn good car.

You're probably right.

I think I'm still so excited that I drove my uncle's car this weekend that the feeling is taking over reality. The honda is a much more practical choice at the moment, and I think I will stick with it. Thanks for the more insightful view. The civic is boring, but it's what I got, and I am appreciative of it.

Related, my uncle's car. 2014 335i M Performance Edition Limited. Driving it was the most sensational driving experience of my life.
http://i39.tinypic.com/156v4ex.png

btimbit
10-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Make that your goal for when you're done school, reward yourself that way. That's what I wish I did.

Damn your uncles car is nice, haven't seen a 2014 yet. I can see the effect that'd have on the way you look at your civic haha. Just uhang in there for now, before you know it you can have several cars when you're rolling in that doctor money:poosie:

NoMoreG35
10-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Wow ur Civic does 22mpg?! On paper it says 37mpg...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Wow ur Civic does 22mpg?! On paper it says 37mpg...

If your Civic only gets 22MPG, expect 10MPG out of a 300C.

That is piss poor fuel mileage for that car.

HHURICANE1
10-17-2013, 08:14 AM
5.7 Hemi doesn't use premium fuel.

Fuel Selection – 5.7L Engine
87 Octane Acceptable – 89 Octane Recommended

Strider
10-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Trust me, when I have the kind of money to afford the 300C myself a 300C would be my last choice.

That's the spirit... always wanting more than you can afford. Banks and car companies thrive off of people like you.

OP, your dad sounds like he's very fiscally responsible and probably far too smart to take an 8 year loan at 4.2%. You could probably stand to learn a few things from him.

I'm pretty surprised at how civil the responses have been in this thread so far. Beyond seems to have turned a new leaf.

carson blocks
10-17-2013, 09:40 AM
If your dad is generous enough to put you in a brand new Civic, how about just being grateful that you're driving a nice new reliable car until you're done school and can get a better car on your own. Be a man, work hard for what you want, and provide for yourself. You're sounding like a spoiled little princess. If you were my kid I'd take the car back and make you ride the goddamned commuter bus until you learned to be grateful for what really is a sweet deal as it is.

G-ZUS
10-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
If your dad is generous enough to put you in a brand new Civic, how about just being grateful that you're driving a nice new reliable car until you're done school and can get a better car on your own. Be a man, work hard for what you want, and provide for yourself. You're sounding like a spoiled little princess. If you were my kid I'd take the car back and make you ride the goddamned commuter bus until you learned to be grateful for what really is a sweet deal as it is.

:werd:

flipstah
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
So why do you want a car that would be your last choice if you can afford it... :nut:

I didn't even know you can get an 8 year car loan! 5 year already makes me cringe!

For someone that's going to Med School, you have no sense of financial responsibility so I'll naively assume you're not paying for school as well.

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I get way more than 22 MPG in my Civic haha. I get about 29 city and 33 highway MPG (at 130-140km/h on the highway so that number could be way better).

How are you driving to get 22 MPG?

And trust me, you will not want to be driving a 300C in 6-8 years, there is a reason they are offering 96 month financing...nobody wants them and there are much better choices in the $35-45K range.

flipstah
10-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I get way more than 22 MPG in my Civic haha. I get about 29 city and 33 highway MPG (at 130-140km/h on the highway so that number could be way better).

How are you driving to get 22 MPG?

http://www.nextmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/the-fast-and-the-furious-tokyo-drift2.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
^^ Lol. Unfortunately, since switching to the Civic, MPG is the only thing I can get excited about anymore :rofl: :rofl:

austic
10-17-2013, 11:03 AM

This sums it up.
At around 400-440 a month on a 48 term the down payment of that car was likely around 7K which will barely cover the loss on sale of the used car.

The real world is going to eat you up and spit you out.....

M.alex
10-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by e31

Many LULZ were provided by this thread :rofl:

I can just see how well that conversation would go - your dad encourages you to approach with a rationale argument and yours is 'I want more power!' :rofl:

01RedDX
10-17-2013, 01:26 PM

btimbit
10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
^Eyes are bigger than his stomach, happens to all of us at some point

flipstah
10-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Many LULZ were provided by this thread :rofl:

I can just see how well that conversation would go - your dad encourages you to approach with a rationale argument and yours is 'I want more power!' :rofl:

My dad would probably say 'yes' but I won't be able to drive it. :rofl:

ercchry
10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
when i was 19 i told my dad i was going to buy (as in my own money) a new benz... he kicked me out of the house.

thats how it should be :whipped:

M.alex
10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
when i was 19 i told my dad i was going to buy (as in my own money) a new benz... he kicked me out of the house.

thats how it should be :whipped:

What would he have done if you'd said Bentley instead of MB? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ercchry
10-17-2013, 03:57 PM
probably just laugh :rofl:

max_boost
10-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Shawn, stop being an ass. Your parents were kind enough to support you through 8+ years of school AND buy you a brand new car. Many people would kill to be in your position, I wouldn't even dream of it when I was your age.

Sorry guys, he's my nephew and he's actually a really good kid, but he's only 18. I saw the thread last night but I was hoping that you guys would rough him up a little bit first, which you did, and I appreciate it.

Ah to be 18.

I'm with pops on this one. :thumbsup: :clap:

G
10-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Doogie Howser II? How is he able to start med school next september at 18? Oh he's only of those med school dreamers taking premed first year then realizing that they don't have what it takes 2nd year in.

Xtrema
10-17-2013, 04:37 PM
18 with a brand spanking new Civic that daddy pays for and already want a 300C?

lol

You can't afford shit if your old man is paying for your car. He's probably paying for your school too.

Once you stop leeching off your old man and still have $ left over for a 300C, by all means go for it.

CanmoreOrLess
10-17-2013, 04:40 PM
At eighteen, concentrate on what matters.... girls. Trade 'em up, trade 'em down. Play your cards right and she has the nicer car. Far better than a 99 month loan at 5% on a hemi vehicle with teen insurance premiums through the roof.

On a side note, where does the line form for getting adopted into your family? I think I can live within your father's rules. Are there chores? At eighteen I had a couple of hours of chores to do daily, I am assuming your gig is a bit sweeter. I have some belief in reincarnation, so don't fuck up the family fortunes as I'd like my opportunity next time around.

Skyline_Addict
10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
of all cars to want to "upgrade" to, a 300c? you need to be thinking more along the lines of GT-R or Porsche 911. might as well go big or go home. at least when bringing it up with your dad, you could argue with nurburgring lap times.;)

flipstah
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
At eighteen, concentrate on what matters.... girls. Trade 'em up, trade 'em down. Play your cards right and she has the nicer car. Far better than a 99 month loan at 5% on a hemi vehicle with teen insurance premiums through the roof.

If he can't afford a 300C, he can't afford girls.

Just sayin'. Bitches add up quick.

pinnochio5
10-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Shawn, stop being an ass. Your parents were kind enough to support you through 8+ years of school AND buy you a brand new car. Many people would kill to be in your position, I wouldn't even dream of it when I was your age.

Sorry guys, he's my nephew and he's actually a really good kid, but he's only 18. I saw the thread last night but I was hoping that you guys would rough him up a little bit first, which you did, and I appreciate it.

Lol Hey Leo. Yea btimbit kinda put things in perspective for me, gave me a virtual slap in the face.

Lanny got that new BMW and let me take it for a rip around Southland/Palliser on Saturday and I guess I'm still daydreaming (It was truly amazing). I was always grateful for the civic, but I'm sure you can see how driving the Bim stirs up some emotions for an inexperienced youngster like myself. Gonna keep my civic for at least 5-6 years probably, will see how things unfold then.

Back to focusing on more important things.

Anyways, see you next week for Nikka's.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Lol Hey Leo. Yea btimbit kinda put things in perspective for me, gave me a virtual slap in the face.

Glad to help:thumbsup:

firebane
10-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Ugh.. What this thread started out as boils my blood.

My gf financed a car and wasn't happy with it and jumped into another car. Instead of having 13,000 to pay back she is now on a 7 or 8 year term.. Don't recall paying out 25,000 and has close to $500-550 a month in car fees AND insurance.

Don't be dumb!

pinnochio5
10-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by firebane

My gf financed a car and wasn't happy with it and jumped into another car. Instead of having 13,000 to pay back she is now on a 7 or 8 year term.. Don't recall paying out 25,000 and has close to $500-550 a month in car fees AND insurance.

Don't be dumb!

Read my last post. I've been enlightened. I realize it was a completely stupid idea.

Rat Fink
10-17-2013, 06:02 PM

flipstah
10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
People doesn't seem to realize that trading in a new car has sunk costs

No dealership is gonna take a straight trade unless you're trading down and with that, that's still a bit tricky.

firebane
10-17-2013, 08:16 PM

Read my last post. I've been enlightened. I realize it was a completely stupid idea.

It doesn't matter.

The fact you even THOUGHT about it.. let alone come on here and POST about it says to me that your are young and dumb and take what is given to you for granted.

If I was young and had an opportunity like you you can damn well bet I'd be the most grateful person on the face of the planet and not think once about what you are.

This just goes to show how ungrateful the generation of kids are becoming.. not all.. but a lot.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 08:26 PM

It doesn't matter.

The fact you even THOUGHT about it.. let alone come on here and POST about it says to me that your are young and dumb and take what is given to you for granted.

If I was young and had an opportunity like you you can damn well bet I'd be the most grateful person on the face of the planet and not think once about what you are.

This just goes to show how ungrateful the generation of kids are becoming.. not all.. but a lot.

Come on, you wouldn't have considered that when you were young? I know I sure would have. He was trying to convince himself it was a good idea by only looking at the fact that the monthly payments weren't that much more.

No reason to berate him THAT much over it. Jesus, you never had bad ideas when you were young?

firebane
10-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Come on, you wouldn't have considered that when you were young? I know I sure would have. He was trying to convince himself it was a good idea by only looking at the fact that the monthly payments weren't that much more.

No reason to berate him THAT much over it. Jesus, you never had bad ideas when you were young?

I was raised in a VERY strict home and was brought up and taught that money is very important and that nothing was to be provided to me and that if I wanted something I worked my ass off for it.

I have never owned a new vehicle and never had anyone buy me a new vehicle.

Yes sometimes people need a cold harsh realization at how dumb their ideas are to perhaps knock some sense into them for ideas that may come like this again lol!

btimbit
10-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
5.7 Hemi doesn't use premium fuel.

Fuel Selection – 5.7L Engine
87 Octane Acceptable – 89 Octane Recommended

Ah you're right, I was thinking of the SRT maybe?

pinnochio5
10-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Btw that 22mpg bullshit stat I got off google (and it's for like an 06' SI, city levels).

I checked the IMID display today and it says im getting 30mpg. I've had econ off for like a week so I bet I could push 40mpg (which is pretty beastly efficiency)when it's on since literally the only time I drive the car is on the highway, maybe twice a month.

Also wondering about the oil. The car says it's at 90% life, when is a good percentage to get it changed? 50%-60%?

Lol, looking back on the starting of this thread I agree I sounded like a complete bitch. Probably would of been too much of a pussy to ever actually confront my dad with this question anyways.

scboss
10-18-2013, 12:36 AM

Don't be dumb!

Holy shit that is alot of years lol. Almost half way to the term of a 20 yr mortgage.

Whenever buying cars you should always ask yourself. If I saved the amount of money instead of going in debt would I still buy it? In 99% of cases the answer is hell no lol. Imagine saving 8 years to buy any car? It better be your dream car. 8 years for a 300c lmao what a joke.

msommers
10-18-2013, 02:21 AM
If I had the choice been a civic and a 300C, I'd take the Civic anyways. 300C always looks like an old man car to me.

I know all my med friends got approved for massive LOCs. Why not trade in the Civic and pay for the 300C yourself? 150K LOCs were abundant for them.

slinkie
10-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

Holy shit that is alot of years lol. Almost half way to the term of a 20 yr mortgage.

Whenever buying cars you should always ask yourself. If I saved the amount of money instead of going in debt would I still buy it? In 99% of cases the answer is hell no lol. Imagine saving 8 years to buy any car? It better be your dream car. 8 years for a 300c lmao what a joke.

fully agreed..

Type_S1
10-18-2013, 03:08 AM
Spoiled silver spoon kids, what I would have given to be one.

Med School is a long way off from 1st year Uni and daddy can't buy your way into that, good luck.

The BMW Guy
10-18-2013, 06:34 AM
^ I wouldn't want to be a silver spoon kid at all. You have no sense of how hard it is to work for something. I'm glad my parents never gave me an allowance let alone buy me a brand new car.

Originally posted by msommers
If I had the choice been a civic and a 300C, I'd take the Civic anyways. 300C always looks like an old man car to me.

I know all my med friends got approved for massive LOCs. Why not trade in the Civic and pay for the 300C yourself? 150K LOCs were abundant for them.

Problem is he isn't in med school...just thinks he is. Med school is a graduate program and at 18 I doubt he has even completed an under-grad.

flipstah
10-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Silver spoon kids don't give a fuck about the value of a dollar!

Check out Rich Kids of Instagram! Awesome website for trying to figure out how to waste money :rofl:

ercchry
10-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Silver spoon kids don't give a fuck about the value of a dollar!

Check out Rich Kids of Instagram! Awesome website for trying to figure out how to waste money :rofl:

when you have a trust setup with a competent broker that pays out massive bi-weekly dividends... who gives a fuck about the value of a dollar :rofl:

Aleks
10-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Btw that 22mpg bullshit stat I got off google (and it's for like an 06' SI, city levels).

I checked the IMID display today and it says im getting 30mpg. I've had econ off for like a week so I bet I could push 40mpg (which is pretty beastly efficiency)when it's on since literally the only time I drive the car is on the highway, maybe twice a month.

Also wondering about the oil. The car says it's at 90% life, when is a good percentage to get it changed? 50%-60%?

Lol, looking back on the starting of this thread I agree I sounded like a complete bitch. Probably would of been too much of a pussy to ever actually confront my dad with this question anyways.

Change the oil when it gets to 5% and you'll be fine. Should take 8-10,000 kms before it goes to that level. So not only is it the most efficient car in its segement, it also is cheap to maintain. :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
10-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Dealer says 10% for the oil, I'm sure there's some wiggle room in there. I believe that counter also accounts for time, not strictly KM (good for someone like me who only drives 5000km/yr).

Try and get excited about how cheap it is to own and maintain haha - it's so cheap it's almost free. I don't even consider it an expense when budgeting anything it's so cheap. It's certainly not the most fun car I've had, but I do like that it costs me essentially nothing.

When I was younger, all I wanted to do was upgrade my cars ASAP too, and in hindsight I would have waited a bit longer to do so (though I did have a lot of fun haha). Just use what you got for now, especially since it was free. Get your self a nice car as a grad gift or something.

msommers
10-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Spoiled silver spoon kids, what I would have given to be one.

Med School is a long way off from 1st year Uni and daddy can't buy your way into that, good luck.

Originally posted by The BMW Guy
^ I wouldn't want to be a silver spoon kid at all. You have no sense of how hard it is to work for something. I'm glad my parents never gave me an allowance let alone buy me a brand new car.

Problem is he isn't in med school...just thinks he is. Med school is a graduate program and at 18 I doubt he has even completed an under-grad.

Definitely missed where his age was mentioned. This thread just got hilarious for me now. However, I weep for future generations in Calgary.

Xtrema
10-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
A free, brand new Civic for you and its already not good enough for you? ....and along with that, you still get an allowance from daddy at 18 years old? Holy fuck, I used to have to wash dishes at $1.00/night for my allowance and when I turned 14 my allowance was gone as I had to get a job at that point. I think growing up with the silver spoon in your mouth has allowed you to be a little disconnected from the value of a dollar :rofl:

You think Gen Y feel entitled, you have seen nothing yet.

soloracer
10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I can't blame the OP, fresh out of high school I tried to get my dad to co-sign for a used 944 Turbo. My bitch slapping wasn't virtual ;)

btimbit
10-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
I can't blame the OP, fresh out of high school I tried to get my dad to co-sign for a used 944 Turbo. My bitch slapping wasn't virtual ;)

True that, which one of us hasn't looked for an easy way to trade up, especially at his age? I know I sure did, probably numerous times. Until someone talked me out of it, just like we did the OP. No reason to start trashing him

carson blocks
10-18-2013, 02:43 PM
I was 18 once so I know where he's coming from. but there's a key difference. For those of us without rich daddies though, we were trying to overextend ourselves to buy things we couldn't truly afford, not trade in a generous gift for a better one on someone else's dime.

Add 13 years of maturing though, and I've now got a hard time convincing myself to buy a new truck that's ~40% of a year's salary when a less loaded one that's 20% would do the same job and better yet be paid for in cash. OP just needs to gain some perspective on life and money.

btimbit
10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I was 18 once so I know where he's coming from. but there's a key difference. For those of us without rich daddies though, we were trying to overextend ourselves to buy things we couldn't truly afford, not trade in a generous gift for a better one on someone else's dime.

The principle is the same, he's young, wants a better car than what he has, justifies a way for him to do it. My way was getting a bank loan I couldn't truly afford, his way is getting his dad to buy him a new one. that's simply what he's used too, the end result and original intent woulda been the exact same if it was him or my broke ass.

Canucks3322
10-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Add 13 years of maturing though, and I've now got a hard time convincing myself to buy a new truck that's ~40% of a year's salary when a less loaded one that's 20% would do the same job and better yet be paid for in cash. OP just needs to gain some perspective on life and money.

Haha so true....33 yrs here, my 2004 Mazda 3 I got for $4,000 and 98 Pathfinder for $3,700 were only supposed to be temporary till I secured a mortgage for a house....now that that's all done I can't even bring myself to upgrade to a $10,000 car...

OP....I'm guessing you live at home, keep doing the math and you'll see, a $500 a month car payment plus insurance and gas and just plain fucking stupid....esp since you won't be making real good money for a long while yet...trust me, when that time comes, you don't want to be stuck with shitloads of debt to have to pay off...

OBDIIM50
02-13-2014, 04:15 PM

my 0.02

Dude.. you should take your own advice. I remember your dad handing me the cash for my TE37s last year. Don't act like a boss on the internet when you're not.

flipstah
02-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by OBDIIM50

Dude.. you should take your own advice. I remember your dad handing me the cash for my TE37s last year. Don't act like a boss on the internet when you're not.

OHSNAP.

FraserB
02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

OH SNAP!

:drama:

BerserkerCatSplat
02-13-2014, 04:35 PM

SHOTS FIRED

Zombie drama, aim for the head.

01RedDX
02-13-2014, 04:42 PM

G-ZUS
02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl: This thread just got interesting

shakalaka
02-13-2014, 05:02 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

J.M.
02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Darkane
02-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Would the real boss of the internet please stand up. Please stand up.

bjstare
02-13-2014, 05:21 PM

HAHAHAHA

Also lulz @ OP saying he's a med student. Average age of acceptance into U of C med is 29 IIRC, and usually those admitted have some sort of post grad degree already.

G-ZUS
02-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Would the real boss of the internet please stand up. Please stand up.

Guess there's a real internet boss in all of us. Fuck it, let's all stand up

sneek
02-13-2014, 06:22 PM
:rofl: I like the way this thread is going

Hallowed_point
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Guess there's a real internet boss in all of us. Fuck it, let's all stand up

LOL :rofl: :rofl:

pinnochio5
02-13-2014, 11:53 PM
LOL!

I was really fucked up for making this thread. Literally one of the worst mistakes you could possibly make financially is doing what I said in the first post.

UPDATE:
Fucking love my civic and sticking with it for at least 10 more years.

lol at TE37 dad post.

pinnochio5
02-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

HAHAHAHA

Also lulz @ OP saying he's a med student. Average age of acceptance into U of C med is 29 IIRC, and usually those admitted have some sort of post grad degree already.

It's actually 25-28. When I started this thread I was probably thinking about doing accelerated 2 year admission (which I now know is nearly impossible). Although I finished pretty strong, probably won't cut it for 2 year admission (pretty much need a 4.0 GPA vs. U of C's avg over 4 years of 3.78).

amear
02-14-2014, 03:31 AM

You my friend are a fucking moron. I work for my own shit. If you remember correctly I was wearing track pants on a Sunday afternoon with no fucking pockets. Where the fuck do you think i'm gonna put the money? up my ass or walk around with it in my hand? You've just got something against me you selfish prick. Don't blabber out shit you don't know, Mind your own fucking business and I mind my own. As far as I know your a fucking lair and a stuck up bitch.

Oh and P fucking S, Do you not remember my dad handing me my fucking money over when I made a deal with you? Either fucking way , my money my parents money. I don't cry over stupid shit, nor am I gonna die if you think its my dads money.
Think what ever the fuck you want, as long as it floats your boat , keep it to yourself.:banghead:

/rant.

amear
02-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Double post.

ReflexFX
02-14-2014, 03:53 AM
*popcorn

Redlined_8000
02-14-2014, 05:16 AM
lol.

But yes nothing is better than working for your own shit and being a man. The earlier the age you figure that out the better off you will be.

Sugarphreak
02-14-2014, 08:26 AM

bjstare
02-14-2014, 08:37 AM

It's actually 25-28. When I started this thread I was probably thinking about doing accelerated 2 year admission (which I now know is nearly impossible). Although I finished pretty strong, probably won't cut it for 2 year admission (pretty much need a 4.0 GPA vs. U of C's avg over 4 years of 3.78).

25-28 can't be an average you goof, its a range.

In any case your numbers are closer than mine. Average age of admission for 2012/2013 cycle was 27.22.

blitz
02-14-2014, 09:13 AM

You probably shouldn't tell people you're going to med school until, you know, you're actually IN med school.

01RedDX
02-14-2014, 09:21 AM

sidewaysD
02-14-2014, 09:28 AM
If your girl friend buys you car-parts is that just as bad as you parents buying you rims?

Perhaps it was a gift.

:dunno:

bjstare
02-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by sidewaysD
If your girl friend buys you car-parts is that just as bad as you parents buying you rims?

Perhaps it was a gift.

The fact that he's 18 (a legal adult, I might remind you) and gets a $300/mo allowance should tip you off that the situation is not as you're implying.

Also LOL at an 18 year old getting allowance. Even if my parents gave me that when I was 18, I'd have too much self respect to actually call it an allowance (note: I'm not one of those people on here that says they wouldn't take the money. I call bullshit on anyone not taking free money from their parents at 18 years old)

FraserB
02-14-2014, 09:37 AM

You my friend are a fucking moron. I work for my own shit. If you remember correctly I was wearing track pants on a Sunday afternoon with no fucking pockets. Where the fuck do you think i'm gonna put the money? up my ass or walk around with it in my hand? You've just got something against me you selfish prick. Don't blabber out shit you don't know, Mind your own fucking business and I mind my own. As far as I know your a fucking lair and a stuck up bitch.

Oh and P fucking S, Do you not remember my dad handing me my fucking money over when I made a deal with you? Either fucking way , my money my parents money. I don't cry over stupid shit, nor am I gonna die if you think its my dads money.
Think what ever the fuck you want, as long as it floats your boat , keep it to yourself.:banghead:

/rant.

Can only imagine how that conversation went.

Dad, can you come with me to hold my money while I talk to someone about buying rims? I can't keep the money in my cupholder or glovebox until I get there and I'm too lazy to change pants. Why, you ask? Well, I think that going out and looking like I just crawled out of bed is the latest thing, especially when meeting another man I met on an internet forum.

flipstah
02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
I hear envelopes are great holders of monetary denominations.

bjstare
02-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Dad, can you come with me to hold my money while I talk to someone about buying rims? I can't keep the money in my cupholder or glovebox until I get there and I'm too lazy to change pants. Why, you ask? Well, I think that going out and looking like I just crawled out of bed is the latest thing, especially when meeting another man I met on an internet forum.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that amear wears a matching top to his track pants, with a gold chain outside of it. And drives the absolute shit out of his old m3, with the tunes (hottest euro club hits brro) cranked.

Like I said, just a guess.

G-ZUS
02-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Or asses apparently

flipstah
02-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by sidewaysD

Perhaps it was a gift.

No, because that means she loves me and lets me piitb. :thumbsup:

01RedDX
02-14-2014, 10:17 AM

amear
02-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

LOL only reason my old man came along was because I needed his SUV and this faggit would not shut up and kept harassing me to come take the wheels ASAP because his dick looked to small if he kept 17" winters on for an extra day! So I went to the RBC drive thru and what not and you get the idea now! Lol

Annnddddd no, I was polishing my car which is why I had track pants on because jeans have metal buttons that could have scratched the car.

ercchry
02-14-2014, 10:41 AM

but envelopes dont make her dance...

flipstah
02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

but envelopes dont make her dance...

AI0gk2KJeho

J.M.
02-14-2014, 11:50 AM

LOL only reason my old man came along was because I needed his SUV and this faggit would not shut up and kept harassing me to come take the wheels ASAP because his dick looked to small if he kept 17" winters on for an extra day! So I went to the RBC drive thru and what not and you get the idea now! Lol

Annnddddd no, I was polishing my car which is why I had track pants on because jeans have metal buttons that could have scratched the car.

yeah ok track pants and all we get it

next time wear pants with pockets ok to hold your monies

Sugarphreak
02-14-2014, 11:55 AM

Hallowed_point
02-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
lol.But yes nothing is better than working for your own shit and being a man. The earlier the age you figure that out the better off you will be.

Yup..:werd: Lot's of entitled "adults" in Calgary getting mommy-money down payments and slush funds well
into their 20's and 30's. Pathetic! :nut:

BrknFngrs
02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

If I had to guess, I'd bet that amear wears a matching top to his track pants, with a gold chain outside of it. And drives the absolute shit out of his old m3, with the tunes (hottest euro club hits brro) cranked.

Like I said, just a guess.

Exactly the mental image I had as well :rofl: