PDA

View Full Version : Fighting diarrhea with probiotics

Super_Geo
10-19-2013, 12:41 PM
So I got a bad case of food poisoning a few days ago and have been a prisoner in my apartment because... well because I'm in a new, unfamiliar city and don't want to venture outside when diarrhea has been striking once every hour or so. I'm talking sharp lower intestinal pains, and having to take my shirt off to combat the sweating (apologies for the visual).

Anyway, I've been reading on ways to fight diarrhea and most of the articles just talked about the typical things (drink water to fight dehydration, get rest, etc), but then one mentioned probiotics so I dug further on that.

Turns out that there are plenty of studies that show a lot of benefits, and it does make intuitive sense. Diarrhea is just your body's way of flushing out the contents of your intestines because it senses something wrong there, and filling your intestines with harmless bacteria should cause them to outcompete with the adverse strains and (hopefully) drop the rate at which they're reproducing to something manageable by your immune system without having to continuously flush the system. Or at least that's my guess at what's going on... I'm sure one of the doctors on Beyond can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, my personal experience was that it worked amazingly well. Maybe I was near the tail end of it anyway, and this just got me over the finish line sooner, but from the studies I've read it showed that taking probiotics reduces the incident rate of contracting diarrhea and shortens the duration of those who already have it. The best method is to take it in pill format, and ideally one that has multiple strains.

Hope this helps save someone from a shitty time!

Nickerjones
10-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Try being in a situation where there is no lead up to your #2 times. When it hits me I have to find a bathroom fast. I never had a problem until I had my gall bladder removed. I have had tests and a colonoscopy done to rule out issues. The only culprit is now that I am without a gall bladder i have a lot of excess acid in my system. It causes me to poop often and most times gives me no lead time. I usually have to go as I'm nearing the end of a meal or shortly after I have finished.

I used to drive a lot through the states for work doing Landman stuff. I always made sure I had a roll of TP in the car because when the urge hit odds are I wouldn't make it the next 30 miles to the nearest town.

We tried probiotics and didn't really do much for me.

firebane
10-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Nickerjones
Try being in a situation where there is no lead up to your #2 times. When it hits me I have to find a bathroom fast. I never had a problem until I had my gall bladder removed. I have had tests and a colonoscopy done to rule out issues. The only culprit is now that I am without a gall bladder i have a lot of excess acid in my system. It causes me to poop often and most times gives me no lead time. I usually have to go as I'm nearing the end of a meal or shortly after I have finished.

I used to drive a lot through the states for work doing Landman stuff. I always made sure I had a roll of TP in the car because when the urge hit odds are I wouldn't make it the next 30 miles to the nearest town.

We tried probiotics and didn't really do much for me.

You sound like me in the sense that when my insides say its going.. its gonna go without any fair warning.

I also as we speak have a spare roll of tp, crackers AND tums in every vehicle I drive as well as my backpack for when I'm out and about.

speedog
10-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Have a kid or two - a one gallon ice cream bucket with a lid and a roll of toilet paper inside is a given for the vehicle.

Kijho
10-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by firebane

You sound like me in the sense that when my insides say its going.. its gonna go without any fair warning.

I also as we speak have a spare roll of tp, crackers AND tums in every vehicle I drive as well as my backpack for when I'm out and about.

What's the crackers for???

firebane
10-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Kijho

What's the crackers for???

I find they help easy my stomach and guts and settles it down. Perhaps a placebo effect.. but always seems to settle things down.

GQBalla
10-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Metamucil.

theken
10-19-2013, 11:10 PM
I used to be an emergency shitter too. Every shit was an omg I have 20 seconds to find a toilet. Off carbs I go every couple days now. It's amazing

EK69
10-20-2013, 12:05 AM
What probiotic did u take?

Nickerjones
10-20-2013, 12:59 AM
I have heard stories of people getting charged with indecent exposure for pooping on the side of the roads. Wouldn't it be the shits ( No pun intended) if I got deported back to the states bc I got a in trouble for having to use the bathroom?

mr2mike
10-29-2013, 01:16 PM
+1 on what probiotics are you trying?
If it's ones in the yogurt you buy, those are useless.

If this lasts say 3-4 days without letting up, I would go to the doctor. I tried to tough it out once, turned out I had Samonella. Had to go on antibiotics to get rid of it.

Same symptoms. Severe and I mean severe cramps that would last a few minutes then go away. Actually had a fear of driving as I didn't know when the cramping would start.