PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders Curling inward

BeyondNewB
10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
I;ve noticed that my shoulder are begining to curl inwards. I think its because I work out my Chest too much that its pull my shoulder forward.

Should I be focusing more on rear delts to help move them back?

I noticed this when I was in yoga and the instructor said most guys have this problem

KRyn
10-22-2013, 11:59 AM
ROWS, ROWS, ROWS and MORE ROWS!

You should be doing at least 4 rowing movements for every pressing movement you do. If you do 50 reps of bench in a workout you should do at least 200 rowing movements since your shoulders are already being pulled forward. Bent over rows, cable rows, face pulls, scapular push ups are just a few of the exercises you need to focus on to correct this imbalance.

I had the same problem which lead to a very serious case of shoulder bursitis. It was so bad I couldn't bench press for nearly six months while I corrected my muscle imbalance. After which I learned how to properly bench press, check Google for "how to bench press like a power lifter".

scboss
10-28-2013, 10:30 PM
yeah what he said. Weak upper back muscles and a tight chest. Either that or to much gaming lol

BrknFngrs
10-28-2013, 10:52 PM
I definitely have this problem as well; including the bursitis. I've limited my chest workouts to bodyweight until I can get some kind of strength into my upper back.

I find it really tough to effectively target my upper back even when I do all the main back exercises though. With the exception of face pulls; I don't find that I get a good contraction in my upper back and it's rare that I "feel it" the day after as much as I'd like to.

Likely a form issue? Any general tips for the main exercises?

Edit: the one thing I have found provides some relief (though not a solution) is rolling out my chest on the floor with a softball.

scboss
10-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I definitely have this problem as well; including the bursitis. I've limited my chest workouts to bodyweight until I can get some kind of strength into my upper back.

I find it really tough to effectively target my upper back even when I do all the main back exercises though. With the exception of face pulls; I don't find that I get a good contraction in my upper back and it's rare that I "feel it" the day after as much as I'd like to.

Edit: the one thing I have found provides some relief (though not a solution) is rolling out my chest on the floor with a softball.

My Favs For Upper Back

Snatch Grip Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows
Kroc Rows
Reverse Flys
Face Pulls
Shrugs
Farmers Walks (proud chest)

Just make sure you take care of it. Also make sure to stretch your chest after every upper body workout.

KRyn
10-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Face pulls (high [above forehead], medium [to chin], low [to below chin]) remember to pinch and contract your scaps on each and every rep

Band Shoulder Rotation - External
http://www.band-exercises.net/exercises/shoulders/#8
See the link above and remember that the external movement and internal movement should both be slow and controlled (5 second count both ways).

Scapular push ups (google it if you don't know how to do it)

Shoulder Ys Ts and Ws (google as well)

borN
10-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I read something online about this recently. Maybe someone with more experience can comment, but to fix this, would you activate your traps instead of your shoulders when you bench to alleviate pressure? I've started to do this just because I've hurt my shoulder before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaFVV3y-Fr8

Although most of the time he's quite generic, I found the first tip helpful in this video.

KRyn
10-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by borN
I read something online about this recently. Maybe someone with more experience can comment, but to fix this, would you activate your traps instead of your shoulders when you bench to alleviate pressure? I've started to do this just because I've hurt my shoulder before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaFVV3y-Fr8

Although most of the time he's quite generic, I found the first tip helpful in this video.

No, simply changing how you bench is not going to fix a muscle imbalance or shoulder bursitis. If you read my original post I already suggested that the OP learn how to bench press properly (aka like a powerlifter). While it may enable him to bench press with no or relatively less pain it will not solve his problem.

borN
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

No, simply changing how you bench is not going to fix a muscle imbalance or shoulder bursitis. If you read my original post I already suggested that the OP learn how to bench press properly (aka like a powerlifter). While it may enable him to bench press with no or relatively less pain it will not solve his problem.

Ahh nice catch. I probably should reiterate and say "to help prevent this" instead of "fix".