PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a restoration hot rod shop in calgary.

gokuu
10-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I have a 64 caddy i would like to take in for a motor to be pulled out and redone as well as brakes and some other things to get the car running perfectly. The car runs and drives but would like to see it all cleaned up and redone.

MalibuStacy
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
If you just need a motor rebuild go to a motor shop, brakes you could do yourself. Any body work needed?

Graham_A_M
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Id call up Dale at Cascade Vans. Here.

http://www.cascadevans.net/

^For interior work, their almost impossible to beat, but also, they're well involved in the hot rod industry, so they have quite a vast collection of contacts for body work, engine work, electrical and so on.

What all needs to be done? asides from the brakes and an engine rebuild? I have quite a few contacts myself depending on what you need.

I just texted my bro, he knows of a phenomenal engine rebuild shop that does absolute top notch work, but I forget the name so I'll have to wait until he gets back to me.

asp integra
10-22-2013, 01:11 PM
no experience with anyone in this area but these guys are close to me and seem to do some good work :dunno:

http://www.streetheatinc.com/

gokuu
10-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm gonna do the body and paint , which are in good condition. Mostly just want to get the engine redone. I was thinking of calling up street heat too. I'm pretty sure they also do air ride there too

Graham_A_M
10-22-2013, 04:06 PM
^ They do. Ive had a few very bad experiences there personally (both in terms of professionalism and prices for what work I needed to have done), so I'll never ever do business with them again, but someone else such as yourself may do okay.

Air ride isn't hard at all to do, lots of other places can help with that.

I can search on a few hot rodding forums as to what kits are available, and how to do it yourself. Like its seriously not hard at all, many kits just bolt right in.

My bro texted me back, the place you should call is Precise engine rebuilders.

Most hardcore performance nuts use them exclusively, as they really know WTF they're doing, and their amazing at it.
My bro just had a ton of work done by them on the SBC 383 he's building, all perfectly within spec and detail.

gokuu
10-22-2013, 04:25 PM
What's a engine cost to be taken out and rebuild and put back in ?

Graham_A_M
10-22-2013, 04:31 PM
^ You'd have to call and ask if they'd pull it and drop it in for you, they may, but its not hard to do yourself. Perhaps Pm this guy to help you with the removal and re-install.
http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=44060

Rebuild prices? aren't much... they'd disassemble it, and replace anything thats worn, and if need be, replace the pistons, rings, and re-hone it. I figure under $2k, but if you wanted performance mods done to it, it would go up from there. Best to call and ask. What engine is it? the 500ci V8?

AndyL
10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Not in Calgary... But just up the road 45mins in beiseker - heighton restorations - they've turned out a bunch of award winners... But like any big investment - do your research...

englishbob
10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Most Rod shops comes with increased labour charges and mark up on parts.
Precise are excellent, as Graham said Air ride can be done by a lot of places not just Rod shops.

gokuu
10-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Great. Thanks , I'll give them a call and see what they say

Graham_A_M
10-22-2013, 09:56 PM
^ Why did you edit your original post to remove the car info?

:nut:

Kind of hard for other people to chime in and help when they have no idea of how to help you accomplish much of anything with a completely unknown car.

..*JDM Hatch*..
10-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Heighton restorations would be a good place for bring a car in to be restored, but get ready to wait a while. He is always backed up. I worked for him a while back, amazing work but that being said. It comes with a very big price tag.

SkiBum5.0
10-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by gokuu
What's a engine cost to be taken out and rebuild and put back in ?

Book hours I think are 6.5-8 hours for engine removal and reinstallation.

gokuu
10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I was hoping it would only be $1500-$2000. Some places were saying $1500 just to pull and out back motor and about $5000 to redo motor.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-23-2013, 01:15 PM
I was hoping it would only be $1500-$2000. Some places were saying $1500 just to pull and out back motor and about $5000 to redo motor.

If you are paying somebody to do it, you will not get it done for under $2K. When I built my 360, I paid over $2000 for parts and machine work alone - had I paid somebody to put it together it would have been much more expensive.

MalibuStacy
10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
If its a small block why not just buy a motor that's work in off kijiji or a crate motor and pop that in?

carson blocks
10-23-2013, 01:17 PM

If that's your budget, it'll be a DIY job. Pull it and strip it yourself to save money. Remember to mark all parts as to which hole they came out of, in case you end up reusing them. For your first time, I'd usually recommend having a competent machine shop assist with rebuilding the longblock but that will blow the hell out of your budget. Engine rebuilds aren't rocket science if you're detail oriented and aren't afraid to take your time and consult books or online sources when you're unsure. Doing all the work yourself, your budget will still be a little tight. Good machine shops aren't cheap, and cheap machine shops aren't good.

What's wrong with the engine anyways? Does it really need to be rebuilt or will a cleanup, new gaskets, and a Krylon job do the trick?

VW337
10-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Classic Performance does great work. I'd give them a call.

http://www.classicperformance.us/

Graham_A_M
10-26-2013, 10:54 PM
^ Sweet, I didn't know about them.... I'll have to stop in and check them out. I need some body work done on my '38 Chevy, so Id love to see what they do and everything else.

Thanks for posting that. :clap:

englishbob
10-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Sweet, I didn't know about them.... I'll have to stop in and check them out. I need some body work done on my '38 Chevy, so Id love to see what they do and everything else.

Thanks for posting that. :clap:

Do it yourself !!!

Graham_A_M
10-27-2013, 12:38 PM
^ I dont know how, I have zero bodywork know how/ experience... if I did do it myself... by the time Im done it would weigh 8700 pounds due to the amount of bondo I'd have to use...

So I cant wait to take that course with Hooligan, at least then I'd know what to do a lot more so. Straight metal work is easy, so I did the box myself, but the front fenders and parts of the cab I'd have trouble with.

gogreen
10-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
So I cant wait to take that course with Hooligan, at least then I'd know what to do a lot more so.

Are there plans for another course? Haven't seen any mention of it lately.

Graham_A_M
11-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Pm me, Ill ask the actual course instructor to see what his plans are, he`s open to hosting the course outside of SAIT.

speedog
11-01-2013, 12:39 AM
What about Donz Wheels of Time Restoration Co. (http://www.donz.ca/)?

Tucked away over by the new Centre Street Church - very unassuming looking place.