PDA

View Full Version : Asus RT-AC68U or Netgear Nighthawk N7000?

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Anyone have experience with either of these? I'm going to pick one up soon and get on the AC train.

Smallnetbuilders says the Netgear is better, CNET says the Asus is better. I trust Smallnetbuilders more though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hubs/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-smart/4505-3335_7-35828277-2.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-ac68u-dual/4505-3319_7-35828165.html

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

These guys say the Asus is a hair better:

http://bestwirelessroutersnow.com/asus-rt-ac68u-ac1900-review/

http://bestwirelessroutersnow.com/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-r7000-review/

Nighthawk is $190 and sale ends today, I might pick on up. Asus is $229 all day long.

PC Mag had the Nighthawk set a LAN speed record, however they didn't have the Asus 68U to test.

I am only concerned about absolute maximum range & speed. Both seem to do very well.

The boost from 450 to 600 Mbps over 2.4Ghz seems like a marketing ploy, since you need 2 routers or brand-specfic WiFi receivers to get that. Not a big deal though.

I have Asus now (current router is the RT-N66U), wouldn't mind trying out a new brand for fun, even though I love the Asus. What do you guys think? Any major reasons to pick one over the other? Cost/size are not concerns.

firebane
10-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Never liked Netgear much but I've loved my Asus for the last 2 years.

DeeK
10-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Netgear products were great at one point. They have gone into the crapper though. Customer support and warranty are terrible with the new netgear changes especially. I went through 5 WNDR3700's in the span of 2 months, constantly defective.

Stick with the Asus.

I'll be trading in my netgear for an asus soon as well.

quick_scar
10-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Depending on your needs, look into the Ubiquity Unifi AP AC. Little bit more expensive then the Asus, but a lot more enterprise class options. All depends on your needs though.

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't have bought a netgear product previously, but this particular one is getting phenomenal write ups. The SmallNetBuilder's review as well is the one I trust the most, and he chose the Netgear. It uses more powerful internals as well, but that never tells the whole story.

I have also read people claiming the AC66/68 U routers antenna performance degrading over time, but that seems like it would be something that would affect all routers.

There's also a $40 price difference, which I don't really care about, but it does cover 2 year IPR + $20.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm only in a 1000sq ft condo, however the building being concrete, the glass window on my computer room/den, and the 50 other people with routers in the building seem to degrade my performance quite a bit even 20-30 ft away. That's why I want the most powerful possible router haha. And AC.

I'm leaning toward the Netgear, mostly due to the SNB review and because I kind of want to try something new. I wish there were more reviews out though.

ipeefreely
10-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Buy both and take the one you don't like back! :rofl:

Anyway, I'm interested in your feedback on whichever you chose... :)

wtf im nameless
10-24-2013, 05:35 PM
I've used boatloads of the AC66U and am switching to the AC68U now. AAA+ router for home use, I have lots of them running fully automated homes with 30+ IP devices and except for one, they've all been rock solid. I have two AC66U at home, one routing (no wifi) in my rack and the other as my WAP (centrally located) for my home.

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah ideally I would buy both, run speedtest in every room of my place on a variety of devices, and keep whichever was higher. That is a little more effort than I'd like, and I don't like buying things knowing I will return one haha.

Quite honestly I think I would be thrilled with either router, both of them are clearly at the top of the heap.

I'm usually only doing one thing at once, and I live alone, so traffic isn't really a concern for me. I just want the fastest possible WiFi and LAN at a semi reasonable price. My building seems especially bad for interference and other things routers don't like.

I think I'm going to get the Netgear just to be different, and because SNB showed it performing the best (by far the most through review I've seen). I'm getting 2 year IPR so Netgear's customer support is not a concern.

That Asus sure does look goo too though....haha. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind at the checkout.

Whatever I buy, I will test it against my RT-N66U and report back.

firebane
10-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Speedtest isn't an an accurate method of wireless performance. If you want to see how wireless performance is then transfer a larger file across the network and see how the throughput is.

Zorac
10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
don't know anything about the netgear, but there is pretty good custom firmware for the asus if thats your thing. asuswrt-merlin and dd-wrt.

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2013, 06:26 PM
I've never been much for the custom firmwares, although they might be better. Tomato and Merlin were the two I knew of.

I'll try transfer a large file as well.

My 5Ghz speeds from the RT-N66U are pretty good (50-80 Mbps). 2.4 speeds seem to be more in the 20-30 range. No slouch.

By far the slowest speeds are on my phone, which I assume can't keep up to a laptop for WiFi speeds.

ryanallan
10-24-2013, 07:01 PM
I vote Asus. Has the better GUI, more features, and even a dedicated fan club cranking out modified firmwares. Merlin has a good reputation from the AC66, although it doesn't look like he supports the AC68 yet:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Another reason to choose the Asus would be because of their PCI-E adapter which works with the router to provide the beam forming functionality. I believe their USB sticks also provide beam forming, but the PCI-E version gets you the x3 antenna configuration that Netgear doesn't have.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48051

Zorac
10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by ryanallan
I vote Asus. Has the better GUI, more features, and even a dedicated fan club cranking out modified firmwares. Merlin has a good reputation from the AC66, although it doesn't look like he supports the AC68 yet:

merlin has a beta out for the 68u on his site for downloads. i like his premise, its basically stock firmware with bug fixes and the odd freature added in that you think should of been there in the first place.

Mibz
10-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I have no use for custom firmware anymore but I decided to check out Merlin anyway.

LED control - put your Dark Knight in Stealth Mode by turning off all LEDs I might just download it for this alone.

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2013, 09:32 PM
I picked up the NetGear to try out, it was reviewed better than the Asus and I also kind of wanted to try a new brand (I upgrade every year or so anyway haha). I also still have 7 days to return this one to Memex and swap it for the Asus, if I change my mind.

Another thing is it sits flat, where the Asus has to be stood up, and in the only place I can reasonably put my router, it would be a huge eyesore right beside my monitor standing up. I hadn't even considered that before, but that might be a deal breaker even if I decide I'd rather have the Asus.

So far I'm liking it a lot. It's HUGE but at least it looks cool haha. I am an Asus fanboy too, so I haven't ruled out the exchange.

GUI is as good as the Asus RT-N66U. Both are very good, polished, and extremely easy to find everything I wanted to change.

My 5GHz speeds are double at the maximum distance I can go from my router on my Zenbook.

2.4 GHz speeds on my Nexus 4 are double.

Only possible complaint is I can't seem to find anything to put it in "N only mode", and the Asus has that. It's also possible I just haven't found it yet haha. It does, however, have a feature that detects the wireless type AND Ghz rating, and uses the best one - so maybe it doesn't need N only mode.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got file transfers working:

Tried to move a 2GB File:

ASUS RT-N66U Beside Router 2.4 GHZ: 6-7 MB/s
Netgear Beside Router 2.4 GHz: 7 MB/s

ASUS RT-N66U Farthest point 2.4 GHZ: 1.8 MB/s
Netgear Farthest Point 2.4 GHz: 5 MB/s

I could not get the RT-N66U to connect to my Zenbook to test 5GHz, but the Netgear did 10-14 MB/s on the file transfer right beside the router, and held 7-8 MB/s at the furthest possible point.

My internet connection is 100Mbps.

Mostly what I'm noticing is next-to-router wireless performance, where I don't care about it, is nearly identical to the RT-N66U but range is improved noticeably in my particular environment (concrete, glass, lots of walls, and 50 other routers in close proximity).

EK69
10-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Try to use a channel that is least congested with high signal strength networks around u

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2013, 09:59 AM
If anyone wants to pick up an Asus RT-AC68U in the next 6 days and do some real world testing VS the Netgear, let me know, I would be happy to do that.

firebane
10-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If anyone wants to pick up an Asus RT-AC68U in the next 6 days and do some real world testing VS the Netgear, let me know, I would be happy to do that.

I forgot to mention this tool if you don't use it already to take a look at the wireless around you:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

It will scan the area and show you what is setup on what channel and so forth.

By default you will probably see a HUGE congestion on channel 6 which is a very common channel. I run mine on channel 10 or 11 and its on the furthest end with as little congestion as possible.

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by firebane

I forgot to mention this tool if you don't use it already to take a look at the wireless around you:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

It will scan the area and show you what is setup on what channel and so forth.

By default you will probably see a HUGE congestion on channel 6 which is a very common channel. I run mine on channel 10 or 11 and its on the furthest end with as little congestion as possible.

I have a Wifi analyzer app on my phone, but that looks better - thanks!

EK69
10-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Lmao I posted the information (use least congested channel) but forgot the app (inssider)
It will scan both 2.4ghz and 5ghz if ur adapter is capable of both
U want to use the channel that has the least amount of strong networks around u
For 2.4ghz 1/6/11 are the common ones to pick from the others overlap
For 5ghz I don't remember the numbers they are much higher but google will tell u

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2013, 11:32 AM
I'll throw that program on my laptop tonight and see what I can do with the channels.

I think only 1 other person in range has a 5ghz network that I can see, so I don't think that one will be an issue. There is like 50 2.4 GHz though, haha.

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Any idea why inssider is saying channels 1 and 11, the most crowded ones in my building, are the best still? It rates channels like 8 with nobody on it bad, with the tiniest red bar.

My router, set to "auto" picks 11, which is what inssider is saying is the best as well, despite being by far the most crowded...seems weird.

I changed 2.4 from 11 to 8 and 5ghz from 153 to 157 just to see.

Changing the 5ghz off of the 1 other guys channel gives me as much or more speed than I see on LAN (96.24 Mbps). Impressive. Over 97 Mbps on round 2.

Changing from ch 11 to 8, not a good channel according to the programs, gave me a record 74.64 Mbps on 2.4.

firebane
10-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Probably has to do with the noise to db rating.

Mibz
10-25-2013, 09:12 PM
You normally try to avoid using any channel except 1, 6 and 11 due to overlap. Each channel is spaced by 5 MHz, but is 20 MHz wide.

Being on channel 8 overlaps you with both 6 and 11, which means you should, in theory, have way more interference than if you picked 6 or 11.

If going from 11 to 8 improved your performance, I'd suggest trying out 6.

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2013, 09:16 PM
^^ I will try that, thanks. That also explains why the apps told me they were in fact worse channels due to overlap even though nobody was on them.

firebane
10-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
You normally try to avoid using any channel except 1, 6 and 11 due to overlap. Each channel is spaced by 5 MHz, but is 20 MHz wide.

Being on channel 8 overlaps you with both 6 and 11, which means you should, in theory, have way more interference than if you picked 6 or 11.

If going from 11 to 8 improved your performance, I'd suggest trying out 6.

Custom firmwares can adjust this if you wish. My older RT16 running Tomato can adjust for this.

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't know why, but channel 8 is giving me ridiculous speeds. 30 Mbps in my bedroom behind 3 doors and through glass on my N4 which is my slowest wireless device on 2.4. Normally I'm lucky to get 5 Mbps in that location.

5Ghz can fully max out my internet connection speed as well.

I haven't tried 6 yet though.

EK69
10-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Sometimes theoretical shit goes out the window and u just do what works well for u.

Mibz
10-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by EK69
Sometimes theoretical shit goes out the window and u just do what works well for u. No argument here, haha.

snowcat
10-26-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't know why, but channel 8 is giving me ridiculous speeds. 30 Mbps in my bedroom behind 3 doors and through glass on my N4 which is my slowest wireless device on 2.4. Normally I'm lucky to get 5 Mbps in that location.

5Ghz can fully max out my internet connection speed as well.

I haven't tried 6 yet though.

0.6 megabytes per second vs 3.75megabyte is very impressive.

edit - Are you using AC for this or N? You posted saying about enabling N only and removing the other ones.

Mitsu3000gt
10-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

0.6 megabytes per second vs 3.75megabyte is very impressive.

edit - Are you using AC for this or N? You posted saying about enabling N only and removing the other ones.

I only have N devices right now, both 2.4 and 5. No AC yet, not until the Nexus 5 arrives.

The_Rural_Juror
12-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Do you still like your r7000? Picked up an ac68u today but the downstream QoS of the r7000 has me reconsidering.

Mitsu3000gt
12-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Do you still like your r7000? Picked up an ac68u today but the downstream QoS of the r7000 has me reconsidering.

I love this thing. I get my full 100 Mbps regardless of device now (5Ghz Laptop, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, etc.). Completely eliminated my wireless issues I had before with the Asus. I get another couple hundred Mbps over the wired connections as well. It's absolutely rock solid, max speeds on all devices all the time. Setup is as easy as anything else. Couldn't be happier with it. Runs cooler than the Asus as well (not that it really matters haha).

I'm in a condo competing with 50 other signals, I imagine anyone using it in a regular house will be even more pleased with it.

schocker
12-28-2013, 09:01 AM
That nighthawk looks nice. I had only been looking at the AC68, but that looks like a better option. How is the firmware, is it flashable or are you using the netgear firmware?

The_Rural_Juror
12-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Reviews lean towards ac68u, but I don't need the dual wan or 3g/4g option. R7000 has faster data transfer. Tough decision.

schocker
12-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah I don't need those options either. There is also the price difference too, can pricematch the nighthawk at memx for $170. The AC68 never has really dropped below $220. I might try to pick one up today. I see both have built in VPN which is nice, won't have to flash firmware. Just looking for better house coverage and better speeds on my X1 from my asus RTN16.

The_Rural_Juror
12-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Who are you price matching with? For the price diff, I might go netgear. Just like the Asus rep better.

schocker
12-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Who are you price matching with? For the price diff, I might go netgear. Just like the Asus rep better.
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-r7000-netgear-price-450809.html
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/257550/Netgear/R7000_100PAS/
Best direct is the cheapest right now, in stock and free shipping. I have pricematched them before. Comes out to like $170.xx but I would likely also get the IPR as I always do on routers/monitors. Yeah, I do love asus but might give this a try.

The_Rural_Juror
12-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by schocker

http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-r7000-netgear-price-450809.html
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/257550/Netgear/R7000_100PAS/
Best direct is the cheapest right now, in stock and free shipping. I have pricematched them before. Comes out to like $170.xx but I would likely also get the IPR as I always do on routers/monitors. Yeah, I do love asus but might give this a try.

No uber price beat until Jan 2nd. :(

schocker
12-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Whoops didn't see that. I hope you didn't drive there :angel:
I think that is regular price at best direct thought anyways.

The_Rural_Juror
12-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Whoops didn't see that. I hope you didn't drive there :angel:
I think that is regular price at best direct thought anyways.

Naw. I always price match at home first. Still undecided. Due to laziness, I might just keep the AC68U I purchased yesterday.

Mitsu3000gt
12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
That nighthawk looks nice. I had only been looking at the AC68, but that looks like a better option. How is the firmware, is it flashable or are you using the netgear firmware?

I just use the Netgear firmware. Everything works wonderfully, so I really have no desire for any other Firmware. Asus has better third party Firmware if you're into that (merlin & tomato), but I personally have no need for that with everything running rock solid.

SmallNetBuilders seemed to have by far the most thorough review after some googling, and they liked the R7000 over the Asus, which did affect my decision. It's also cheaper, if you care. I'm sure you can't really go wrong though.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

Oh one other thing, the Asus has to be stood up vertically I believe, and that would look awful where I need to put my router. That was a factor for me as well. The R7000 can be installed flat or vertical.

schocker
12-28-2013, 01:06 PM
OK thanks. I am running tomato on my current asus as the stock firmware was horrible and the router would drop connections like crazy. Looks like the nighthawk is the one for me to get once the pricematching is back. Have you been streaming video wirelessly with this? Looks like if I was to get an AC bridge or accesspoint, I could plug in my wdtv and finally access my nas box in my tv room.

Mitsu3000gt
12-28-2013, 01:27 PM
OK thanks. I am running tomato on my current asus as the stock firmware was horrible and the router would drop connections like crazy. Looks like the nighthawk is the one for me to get once the pricematching is back. Have you been streaming video wirelessly with this? Looks like if I was to get an AC bridge or accesspoint, I could plug in my wdtv and finally access my nas box in my tv room.

My WDTV is hard wired so I haven't tried streaming to that, but I can watch Netflix on "Super 1080P HD" on my laptiop (5GHz but not AC) or tablet (2.4 Ghz) behind multiple doors at the furthest point from my router with 100% signal strength. I have no doubts I could stream a blueray to it.

schocker
12-28-2013, 01:45 PM
That sounds like it should work for me then. Would be nice if they also made a bridge though. In one review it said to get the most throughput you need another nighthawk in bridge mode. That would be a little pricey for a bridge :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
12-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Just exchanged the unopened ac68u for the stealth bomber.

Memex can't price match due to a different regional code on the best direct model. One letter off on the model number. Still purchased off memex as they have been much better to deal with than NCIX (best direct owner).

schocker
12-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Wat, didn't even notice that, what would be different from BC to Alberta :confused:
I think all of the ones on shopbot are 100PAS and memx is the only 100NAS I see. :nut:
Let me know how you like it though. I will get one when I get over to memx I think since mitsu liked it also. I could always just pricematch at NCIX haha, I have bought lots from there, generally when memx doesn't have the items I want which happens a lot.....

The_Rural_Juror
12-29-2013, 07:08 PM
So far so good. Coming from a Cisco EA6500, the size of the Nighthawk isn't an issue.

The unshielded USB 3.0 port in the ac68u was a deal breaker for me.

Excellent signal strength. Home testing results on Note 3:

2nd floor Office (right by router): 100% signal, 433 Mbps
Basement bedroom: 100%, 263 Mbps
Kitchen: 100%, 351 Mbps
Master Bathroom (6 walls in between): 64%, 433 Mbps

Don't have the Asus to compare with, but these numbers are good enough for me. Setup was easy. One minor glitch was Chrome blocking popups when I was trying to configure the NAS. Switched to IE and worked perfectly.

schocker
12-29-2013, 07:22 PM
That sounds pretty awesome then. I will give it a try to replace this asus soon. Then I will find some wireless bridge for WDTV/XboxOne/Future PS4
Thanks

zipdoa
02-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Bump -

Looking to use a Nighthawk as a NAS with a USB 3.0 Drive... seems to get way better R/W than the AC68U. Any thoughts?

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Bump -

Looking to use a Nighthawk as a NAS with a USB 3.0 Drive... seems to get way better R/W than the AC68U. Any thoughts?

I ended up just buying an actual NAS connected through Ethernet, and it gets over 100 MB/s transfer.

The R7000 has much faster USB 3.0 speeds than the Asus. No router I am aware of really excels with USB 3.0 speeds though. It seems to be a bit of a sore spot with all routers, but currently the R7000 is the fastest you can get in that respect.

schocker
03-04-2014, 02:40 PM
The R7000 is currently $180 at staples. Not a great savings but I had a coupon for $25 off 75 so it was a good deal. Can't price match again as the model number is still unique at memx.....

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
The R7000 is currently $180 at staples. Not a great savings but I had a coupon for $25 off 75 so it was a good deal. Can't price match again as the model number is still unique at memx.....

I got mine for $189 at Memex (I think $10 off). That's strange the model number is different at staples. I wonder if that's the case for other things too. I was looking at a Kindle there and it had a different sku than Amazon.ca.

That's still an awesome deal for the R7000.

schocker
03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
I got mine for $189 at Memex (I think $10 off). That's strange the model number is different at staples. I wonder if that's the case for other things too. I was looking at a Kindle there and it had a different sku than Amazon.ca.

That's still an awesome deal for the R7000.
Memx is the only store I have found online checking against shopbot with that model. Everyone else is PAS not NAS. Weird.

Good deal though, I was waiting for it to go on sale a bit, should give me full house coverage now and I can either build an htpc or try out an AC media hub to hook up my wdtv.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Memx is the only store I have found online checking against shopbot with that model. Everyone else is PAS not NAS. Weird.

Good deal though, I was waiting for it to go on sale a bit, should give me full house coverage now and I can either build an htpc or try out an AC media hub to hook up my wdtv.

Let me know how you like it. I imagine you should have no dead zones in your house with that thing. It doesn't get much worse than my condo, and it powers through everything.

schocker
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I will let you know. Should be good, I only have 1600sqft but only get 1 bar of coverage on main floor from a RT-N16 running tomato.

Was thinking of getting this, but would be nice if there was a netgear option so I would be certain it would play nice with the router.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42643

schocker
03-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Router seems to be pretty awesome. Just trying to set my RTN16 tomato to be a bridge to put in my tv room but can't seem to figure it out.

HiSpec
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Do you guys leave your USB/External HDD powered on 24/7 while connected to your router??

schocker
03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
My nasbox is generally on 24/7. External hdd, I suppose you could keep it on all the time.

beecue
03-15-2014, 08:57 PM
I think I'm going to pick up the r7000 when it goes on sale again. Getting real tired of my router.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 07:05 PM
London drugs has the R7000 on for $179 right now.

beecue
03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Staples has it for the same price right now as well. Does anyone have a coupon? The last one in my email expired March 2.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Not sure about any coupons but it would be $174 at memex with a price beat, thats pretty cheap.

schocker
03-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Not sure about any coupons but it would be $174 at memex with a price beat, thats pretty cheap.
You can't price match, memx has a different model # than everywhereeeeeeeeeee else. Maybe check RFD beecue for a code.

Great router and now the synology ds video app doesn't freeze the video but it still wont play DTS or AC3 audio :banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 10:03 PM

You can't price match, memx has a different model # than everywhereeeeeeeeeee else. Maybe check RFD beecue for a code.

Great router and now the synology ds video app doesn't freeze the video but it still wont play DTS or AC3 audio :banghead:

Ah shit, I remember you saying the models were different too.

I get DTS on my N7 with VLC or MXPlayer and a separate codec from the Synology. What are you trying to use it on?

schocker
03-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Ah shit, I remember you saying the models were different too.

I get DTS on my N7 with VLC or MXPlayer and a separate codec from the Synology. What are you trying to use it on?
Ya I think someone figured it out before I got mine on here. That is how I found out before I tried to pricematch :rofl:
What seperate codec?
I am using the DS Video app to cast to my chromecast. I have got it to work before through VLC on my N7. This is with the 5.0 nas firmware and latest ds video app.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 10:16 PM

Ya I think someone figured it out before I got mine on here. That is how I found out before I tried to pricematch :rofl:
What seperate codec?
I am using the DS Video app to cast to my chromecast. I have got it to work before through VLC on my N7. This is with the 5.0 nas firmware and latest ds video app.

This is what I used, the #1 codec there for Arm v7 Neon:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2156254

There is instructions for installation there too. Works for me on the N7, not sure if the Chromecast can carry the DTS as well. VLC also plays it, but if you have MX installed, DSVideo will not use VLC, it defaults to MX and there is no changing that as far as I know. You need to uninstall MX if you want DSVideo to ask you what app to use for playback.

schocker
03-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Oh but that is only through the device, I dont think VLC or mx can cast?

I see my issue now though as these are the formats the chromecast can play:

Video codecs

H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5
VP8

Audio decoding

HE-AAC
LC-AAC
CELT/Opus
MP3
Vorbis

grrrrrrrrrr

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2014, 08:41 AM
^^^ Yeah it was just on the device itself, maybe Chromecast doesn't support DTS even if it's already been decoded. Does it have a PCM option or anything? Most devices understand PCM.

schocker
03-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Yeah, htpc time it is. Works fine for TV shows as those are using some other audio apparantly when I grab the MKV. What is PCM? I was looking through the DS video package options and there are like zero options and nothing about transcoding sound like on the nedia server DLNA server package.

zipdoa
03-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, htpc time it is. Works fine for TV shows as those are using some other audio apparantly when I grab the MKV. What is PCM? I was looking through the DS video package options and there are like zero options and nothing about transcoding sound like on the nedia server DLNA server package.

Pulse-Code Modulation AKA uncompressed audio

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is a audio format understood by most devices. For example, if your blu-ray player decodes DTS, but your receiver doesn't, you send it to the receiver via PCM and you will get your DTS even though the receiver can't decode DTS.

schocker
03-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Gotcha. I don't think I saw any options regarding that. Hopefully the chromecast gets an update then but I doubt that it is high up on their priority list.

beecue
03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Just picked it up and updated the firmware. It seems overkill for me since I don't use wireless but whatever. I just hope it fixes my downloading problem that my dir-655 was having.

Are you guys on stock fw? schocker are you using qos for xbox one?

schocker
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I am running stock firmware currently. Looked at ddwrt but I am OK with the stock firmware for now as it has given me no issues. I do not have upstream or downstream qos turned on I just checked. Not sure if it would make a difference, I don't seem to have any speed issues with my xbox.

Mitsu3000gt
03-24-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm using stock firmware as well. I don't see any need to seek out something better. I get my absolute maximum DL speeds on wireless or wired connections, over 12 MB/s on Shaw Broadband 100. No other router I've had could break 100 Mbps or go above about 11.5 MB/s for downloads.

I don't use many custom features, all I really wanted was absolute maximum speeds at all times on all devices in all areas of my condo, wired or wireless, and that's what I have now.

The_Rural_Juror
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM
stock fw for me as well. Only thing is it doesn't like my Note 3. Tends to sputter quite often. No issues on other devices, so it could just be the Note. Great router.

schocker
04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Not sure why but FS and BB have the nighthawk for $160
GREAT DEALLLLLLLLLLLLL

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/netgear-netgear-nighthawk-wireless-ac-router-r7000-r7000/10274544.aspx?path=ec3f6a7f4b9b1cca2147d120330902f1en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/netgear-netgear-nighthawk-wireless-ac-router-r7000-r7000/10274544.aspx?path=b554183bd5a2c5277932dedf1f88e986en02

You could even try to PM at memx

ronaldo
04-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Believe you can trade an old router in for an extra $20 off right now as well at FS

schocker
05-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Memory has the R7000 for $!69.99 for their daily deal today
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48616
Good deal