PDA

View Full Version : Smolov and Smolov Jr

shadowz
10-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Just wanted to hear peoples experience or opinions on this program.

For those not familiar here is some background on

Smolov:

-13 week squat cycle
-Mon, Weds, Fri and Sat
-Improvement of 50-100lbs on squat
http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3615/articles/smolov-squat-routine

Smolov JR:

-3 week squat cycle
-Mon, Weds, Fri and Sat
http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2362/articles/smolov-jr

At the moment 405 is a very comfortable one rep max. Last week I did try a first day of Smolov JR 6x6 @70% which was 283.5 felt pretty good overall.

Did some other variations too such as this 355 for 5

KX7oBF5n2sY

Should be starting Smolov JR Nov 4, depending on how that goes I will start the 13 week Smolov in December, thanks I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this

AudiPWR
10-24-2013, 04:03 PM
It's devastating. I've done Smolov JR for benchpress and Smolov for squats... All I can say is it takes a lot of willpower and dedication. Make sure your 1RM is 100% accurate and your going to have a hell of a time.

It took my bench from 290 to 315, and my squat from 365 to 425..

I was very happy with the gains, but all I can say is that you're other workouts are going to suck ass. It's exhausting completing the sets.

TLDR; its fucking tough shit, but if you can power through it, giver hell and you'll come out on top.

Cheers

shadowz
10-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
It's devastating. I've done Smolov JR for benchpress and Smolov for squats... All I can say is it takes a lot of willpower and dedication. Make sure your 1RM is 100% accurate and your going to have a hell of a time.

I was very happy with the gains, but all I can say is that you're other workouts are going to suck ass. It's exhausting completing the sets.

TLDR; its fucking tough shit, but if you can power through it, giver hell and you'll come out on top.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, was your calorie intake fairly high when you were doing smolov for squats?

scboss
10-25-2013, 12:01 AM
This program looks like it would be pretty intense. So does all your other lifts go into maintenance mode?

shadowz
10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by warcaster
This program looks like it would be pretty intense. So does all your other lifts go into maintenance mode?

Basically it says that on off days if you can handle it you can incorporate chest/back and such only thing is no deadlifts at all. I will try and still do those other lifts at a reasonable maximum and see how my body responds while doing Smolov

1-Bar
10-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR

Cheers

Those are great gains :thumbsup: I might do the same, ie. chest/squats.

scboss
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

Basically it says that on off days if you can handle it you can incorporate chest/back and such only thing is no deadlifts at all. I will try and still do those other lifts at a reasonable maximum and see how my body responds while doing Smolov

Maxing out my deadlifts and bench to prep for this program. Something tells me its gonna whip my ass worse then anything ive ever done

shadowz
11-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Maxing out my deadlifts and bench to prep for this program. Something tells me its gonna whip my ass worse then anything ive ever done

Just finished the three weeks on Saturday, didn't give myself much time to recover. But I was able to go from 405 1RM, to a confident and low 440.

My friend also added 42 lbs to his overall 1RM.

Doing this over and over my form had improved significantly, strength and endurance are through the roof. Because of this on Saturday I will aim for 315 for 20 reps.

Also I will be starting the 13 week Smolov program in 2 weeks

scboss
11-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Just finished the three weeks on Saturday, didn't give myself much time to recover. But I was able to go from 405 1RM, to a confident and low 440.

My friend also added 42 lbs to his overall 1RM.

Doing this over and over my form had improved significantly, strength and endurance are through the roof. Because of this on Saturday I will aim for 315 for 20 reps.

Also I will be starting the 13 week Smolov program in 2 weeks

yeah im gonna do the 13 week one starting jan 6th. Right now I can 1rm 315 confidently and around 355 with a spot. Wanna hit that 405!!

shadowz
11-21-2013, 05:03 PM

yeah im gonna do the 13 week one starting jan 6th. Right now I can 1rm 315 confidently and around 355 with a spot. Wanna hit that 405!!

You'll get there, just after doing JR it has boosted my squatting without spot either. And out of all the reps and sets I had never hit failure either

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 09:04 AM
You didn't even squat past parallel. Its Ass to Grass or it just doesn't count.

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Also

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/patr123/1959427_10152098024898220_136017677_n.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/patr123/media/1959427_10152098024898220_136017677_n.jpg.html)

shadowz
03-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Milk2%

Well sir that was my first week of doing low bar squats ever, my mobility nor form were on point at that time.

And I'm sure you know when low bar position you cannot go "ass to grass" without having your lower back round. Please educate before talking nonsense

http://getthisstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats-back-angles.jpeg

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 09:26 AM
More years of education then you can imagine! You're not getting full depth one way or another, or you just says its cause its low bar position. Seen more then my fair share of people get lower then that easily.
You can even see your fighting against getting lower. Think of all the real gains you can get if you target the full range of motion

Phl0xed
03-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Revives a 4 month old thread to troll. Must be an armchair athlete.

On a more relevant note: Are you still doing the 13 week program? How are you finding it?

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Phl0xed

On a more relevant note: Are you still doing the 13 week program? How are you finding it?

More of an Athlete then you'll ever amount to. In a wheel chair....or on my legs.

revive old threads cause the past 4 months i've had a life not troll these forums daily. Get it right

shadowz
03-25-2014, 09:37 AM
More years of education then you can imagine! You're not getting full depth one way or another, or you just says its cause its low bar position. Seen more then my fair share of people get lower then that easily.
You can even see your fighting against getting lower. Think of all the real gains you can get if you target the full range of motion

I'm not here to argue with you, as mentioned that was the first time I had worked with the bar on my delts coming from a high bar position, did not have the correct mobility in my hips to draw back far enough without having my lower back round. A lot has changed in 19 weeks or so since I had uploaded that video.

Someone with years of education should chime in on mobility and form improvement such as foam rolling, hip opening exercises. Be positive, giving someone feedback like

"You didn't even squat past parallel. Its Ass to Grass or it just doesn't count."

Is pretty useless. Why not chime in and share your knowledge. I don't even take this as a personal attack, but I feel you could approach things in a different light.

Let's use this thread for constructive comments for myself, yourself and anyone else squatting.

Here's one that I will start with:

Stretching your calves/ankles are usually ignored when preparing prior to your lifts. I highly recommend anyone to add this to your pre lifting warmup/stretch.

Originally posted by Phl0xed

Yes I actually just finished, it was great, did not touch any other accessory work and my bench and deadlift have gone up.

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry didn't mean to offend in anyway I just saw you weren't going all the way down. A strong muscle is a long relaxed muscle, ditch that low bar cause powerlifting is almost as dumb as cross fit.

Stick highbar and get full depth, suggest working lighter weight and making sure you get 100% depth before hammering more weight.
You'll get much stronger once you notice your past parallel and you start using glutes and hams way more. Squatting is a natural position

foam rolling is a joke I haven't bought into it. I'll do it when I'm around chicks.

Most important next to the lifting and proper form is proper warm ups. Dynamic stretching
Small amount of static stretching
5-10 mins on the bike and a really good bar warm up
Cool down on bike 5-10. try and flush lactic build ups out

ExtraSlow
03-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Bulgarian split squats FTW.

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Bulgarian split squats FTW.

:poosie: :hitit: daily

KRyn
03-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Bro, how much can you squat? Maybe you can post up a tutorial video for all us new lifters.
Do you compete in Olympic lifting?

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

Bro, how much can you squat? Maybe you can post up a tutorial video for all us new lifters.
Do you compete in Olympic lifting?

only 220 pretty weak don't you think?

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
maybe 225

KRyn
03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Bro, we talking kilos or pounds?

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
For you to figure out

shadowz
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm sorry didn't mean to offend in anyway I just saw you weren't going all the way down. A strong muscle is a long relaxed muscle, ditch that low bar cause powerlifting is almost as dumb as cross fit.

Stick highbar and get full depth, suggest working lighter weight and making sure you get 100% depth before hammering more weight.
You'll get much stronger once you notice your past parallel and you start using glutes and hams way more. Squatting is a natural position

foam rolling is a joke I haven't bought into it. I'll do it when I'm around chicks.

Most important next to the lifting and proper form is proper warm ups. Dynamic stretching

None taken, your original post seemed abrasive.

Anyhow, I have been switching back and forth, between high and low bar, along with plenty of front squats, I will disagree on the powerlifting comment but that's neither here nor there.

The roller I currently use is a PVC pipe or a dough roller, I do find it aids in recovery and I do find a lot less lactic acid build up in the following days post lifting.

Totally agree on your warmup tips, anything you can do to get your CNS prepared for the workout is key.

I'm roughly spending 20-30 min on my warmup/stretching before I walk in front of a bar

KRyn
03-25-2014, 10:13 AM

The roller I currently use is a PVC pipe or a dough roller, I do find it aids in recovery and I do find a lot less lactic acid build up in the following days post lifting.

Did you wrap it in atheltic or hockey tape, helps keep it from sliding around.

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_e6bFRKi0M

And look for Pyrros Dimas another person to emulate

shadowz
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Did you wrap it in atheltic or hockey tape, helps keep it from sliding around.

It's covered in several elastic bands that I collected from produce

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Bro, we talking kilos or pounds?

Weight lifters only talk KG :thumbsup:

KRyn
03-25-2014, 10:24 AM

It's covered in several elastic bands that I collected from produce

Good idea, I never thought of that.

scboss
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM

Lol powerlifting is almost as dumb as crossfit.......

But seriously low bar has alot of benefits to
High bar
Quad/Glute dominate

Low bar
Glute/Hip Dominate

If your not training for looks and want all performance id take low bar anyday

austic
03-25-2014, 11:35 AM

High bar
Quad/Glute dominate

Low bar
Glute/Hip Dominate

Pretty much, but why feed the troll?
He is obvioulsy too busy touring with Klokov to respond with anything constructive.

1-Bar
03-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Wow, I can't even ATG body weight low bar technique without compromising my lower back let alone having a bb on my back. I'm no scientist, but it's physiologically impossible to get your ATG without rounding out while in a low bar position.

Once your hips drop below your knees they rotate inwards towards your torso. Hence why a high bar you can get ATG while maintaining spine angle because you're more vertical.

Milk2% I challenge you to find me a low bar vid or pic going ATG or significantly lower then parallel while maintaining good technique.

http://stronglifts.com/how-deep-should-you-squat-anyway/

zipdoa
03-25-2014, 02:55 PM

High bar
Quad/Glute dominate

Low bar
Glute/Hip Dominate

Keeping in mind training for performance and training for aesthetics are not mutually exclusive goals.

My understanding is low-bar parallel squats are used to demonstrate a feat of strength, and that high-bar ATG squats are used to maximize the amount of muscle fibers recruited and are superior for improving athletic performance.

Also, here is an example of low-bar below parallel/ATG squats:

http://www.oninstagram.com/photo/neither-of-us-have-ever-done-low-bar-squats-so-was-experimenting-with-it-today-should-have-676373119461646625_429547199#.UzHsmJKVMcI.gmail

Regardless of all this - 2%milk's arrogance and condescending posts are unwarranted.

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
Wow, I can't even ATG body weight low bar technique without compromising my lower back let alone having a bb on my back. I'm no scientist, but it's physiologically impossible to get your ATG without rounding out while in a low bar position.

Once your hips drop below your knees they rotate inwards towards your torso. Hence why a high bar you can get ATG while maintaining spine angle because you're more vertical.

Milk2% I challenge you to find me a low bar vid or pic going ATG or significantly lower then parallel while maintaining good technique.

http://stronglifts.com/how-deep-should-you-squat-anyway/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmrKmJMQnw

First youtube hit

scboss
03-25-2014, 04:03 PM

First youtube hit

He is hitting parallel like the picture they posted. Thats not atg like you hit with high bar or front squats just saying. Looks like a normal squat to me

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 04:07 PM

High bar
Quad/Glute dominate

Low bar
Glute/Hip Dominate

Yeah powerlifting is dumb, but crossfit is even worse.

There's a reason Olympic lifting is in the Olympics.

Squatting is a natural body position. Given you do something other then sit on a couch, or a chair for long periods of time you should have no problem getting use to a ATG squat (hi bar for you lovers that like to classify things)

And Zipdoa is absolutely correct, its a function of what you want your end result to be.

I'm an advocate if you can't already tell to anything related to Olympic Lifts, its the most functional and rewarding exercises you can do for your body.
I never said anything bad with a low bar style technique I just pointed out that it was being done incorrectly.

High bar is harder for a reason, the more muscle recruitment the better in gaining muscle mass.

1-Bar
03-25-2014, 04:08 PM

First youtube hit

Noted. I raise you this:

http://youtu.be/yzsP9yN7CrA

shadowz
03-25-2014, 04:08 PM

First youtube hit

IMHO that wasn't a true lowbar squat. that was more of a hybrid squat placing the bar on delts and squatting ATG.

Please use this as a better reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMiUtscrHw

Even though the first video you found was one of the first results I found too

Milk2%
03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

He is hitting parallel like the picture they posted. Thats not atg like you hit with high bar or front squats just saying. Looks like a normal squat to me

He's well below parallel, the top posted video is closer to a 1/4 its close to parallel but still on the topside of the spectrum

1-Bar
03-25-2014, 04:47 PM
There's no way I'll go below parallel on a low bar to conform to the bandwagon phrase of the day "ATG or else...." My lower back is more important and human mechanics and physics dictate that 300# on a rounded back looking for extension is a bad idea.

scboss
03-25-2014, 05:03 PM

He's well below parallel, the top posted video is closer to a 1/4 its close to parallel but still on the topside of the spectrum

Would you consider this parallel?

tQmbzd4PfhM

Just hitting speed work with 315

rob the knob
03-25-2014, 07:56 PM
be strong friends

http://spencergarnold.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/smolov-front-squat.jpg

Mogg
03-26-2014, 07:17 PM
I have been doing a similar program and i am getting really sore in the hips/ hip flexors. any good strecths or tips to avoid this??

shadowz
03-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Mogg
I have been doing a similar program and i am getting really sore in the hips/ hip flexors. any good strecths or tips to avoid this??

I use 3 inch elastic bands and wrap it around my hamstrings. Then I sit right down and open your hips to each side this is with the band fixed or tied to something. Also with the band wrap it around one leg and lunge forward keeping your torso straight and allow the band to open your hip backwards. Also foam rolling I find helps a lot with mobility. This should help a lot.

1-Bar
03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Your hips are your weakest link in the chain. It will improve over time. As Shadowz mentioned, stretching, roller are your best friend

SIC1
03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Mogg

as said previously Mobility in hips and also the ankles

check out the following videos in the article for more mobility

http://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-about-squatting-deep

Friends Don't Let Friend Squat High OR With Bad Form!
Squatting deep is cool, but what's even cooler is squatting properly. If you're dead set on squatting ass-to-grass, that's fine, but make sure you're doing the necessary work to do it right. Include both mobility and stability work specific to the squat as well as hammering your technique. And, if you're a competitive lifter, remember that there aren't any style points for going deeper!

shadowz
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Warming up for heavy front squats today here is a video of my 275 front

AUOjXlp3v1U

Milk2%
03-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Warming up for heavy front squats today here is a video of my 275 front

AUOjXlp3v1U

Get feet closer together. You're restricting your mobility ( \ / )
Right back leg is back further then other leg. Square them up

Its hard to tell but since your heals are so spread apart your knees are almost coming in when your lifting up, you want your knees to be pushing out while lifting up.

Drive your elbows up more, really emphasize on driving them to the roof. Helps with keeping bar center and allows you to drive harder.

shadowz
03-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Get feet closer together. You're restricting your mobility ( \ / )
Right back leg is back further then other leg. Square them up

Its hard to tell but since your heals are so spread apart your knees are almost coming in when your lifting up, you want your knees to be pushing out while lifting up.

Drive your elbows up more, really emphasize on driving them to the roof. Helps with keeping bar center and allows you to drive harder.

I'll give that a shot later on tonight, for the wider stance, I've used it as a crutch to assist in opening my hips. But I should give it a shot with a closer stance.

Milk2%
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
No need to do that. When you're in the hole, the process of pushing up and out (with your knees) will force your hips to open.

When I talk about pushing out with your knees its not physically trying to push them out as far as possible, its keeping in line with your foot direction and its basically your gluts that fire that keep your knees from collapsing in. (you don't want any of that its just asking for an injury)