PDA

View Full Version : Metal Ground Stake - Orange Flag

killramos
10-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey I thought I would look into beyonds advice on an odd occurrence that happened today.

Between about 5 and 7 o clock today I left the house and when I came back I noticed that my gate had been propped open and a bunch of the stuff I keep on the side of the house had been kicked over (spare lumber, splash pad for sump outflow etc.) when I inspected the yard further I noticed that I had a metal stake driven into the ground with a orange ribbon in my lawn just off of the garage.

Spoke to my builder and he never sent anyone over (new build infill) so I am mostly wondering if this is a normal occurrence for the city to do? I have had city employees come mark right of ways before when busing a fence etc at my parents place but that is always done with spray paint not a stake. Which makes me worried that they need it to be more permanent for some reason.

The reason I am looking into this is I have been having issues with my neighbors and my new home grades, drainage etc. and I want to make sure that I don't have a shitstorm brewing or that my neighbor didn't let surveyors into my yard without my permission.

Haven't called in to the city / enmax yet but wanted to get beyonds opinion.

Thanks guys.

englishbob
10-24-2013, 07:55 PM
That's normally property line marking.

killramos
10-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Definitely not a property line. It's inline with my garage which is in turn at least a meter away from the line. RPR says fence was built on line.

spikerS
10-24-2013, 08:29 PM
is it maybe mistaken to be a zero lot line?

killramos
10-24-2013, 08:42 PM
It would really surprise me if they did. It's pretty clear where the property line is. House is a duplex btw and this is on the detached side. House next to me is also a duplex.

Supa Dexta
10-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Im not up on the lingo but some stakes are like a master stake, that is the basis for an area. In rural areas anyways, where not everyone has their lot staked off, since the lots have been there for years. And any new surveying done, they go find that main stake in the neighbourhood and go from there. :dunno: Odd that it would just be put in now though.

killramos
10-25-2013, 06:30 AM
I agree that it's odd. Even more unlikely is that I am inner city...

mr2mike
10-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Are they doing some sort of gas line upgrading? I know they were doing that a year ago in my area. But if I remember, they had crews notify you months before and then again.

Conspiracy theory is someone marked the house for a robbery.

killramos
10-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Haha not sure about robbery would be odd to put the mark in the backyard surrounded by fence.

As for gas line I'm not sure, the orange would generally indicate gas/utilities IMO but the house is 4 months old so there shouldn't be anything needing to be done, at least not on my property.

ianmcc
10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Pull it out and toss it over the fence.

Crazyjoker77
10-25-2013, 04:31 PM
I do quite a few line locates and paint isn't always used. Sometimes stakes and/or flags are. but the fact that there is only one stake defiantly sounds odd as a single stake doesn't tell you a direction or distance so it definitely isn't any line marking.

Generally

orange - telecommunications
yellow- gas
red- electrical
green-sewer
blue- water

ianmcc
10-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Pull it and plant it in a random location that isn't your yard.