PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an electric range

msommers
10-26-2013, 12:10 AM
In the market for a new range. I'm not a super baller so induction is out of the question. I just want a quality cooktop that has convection and is really reliable. I've seen the two drawer option is a big thing now. I'm not sure if these are genuinely two different temps or one is just a warming drawer. Either way it's a nice thing, but by no means a requirement (if fact I don't even care that much). One feature that I think I would pay extra for is the ability to have one of those massive burners that take up half the cooktop. Or do these just control two burners at one time? If it does turn into a uniform massive element I'd like that as I have one big frying pan I use for various things that is a little tricky at the moment since my place only has the old coil-style - lot of stirring for evenness!

I also don't know what separates a $1,000 unit from a $2,000 one. Not looking to spend $2,000 anyways, I just don't see the need right now.

There is one for a good price at Home Depot: the LG LDE3031ST for $1,100. They also had some cheaper ones with cooktops from Whirlpool and GE but I'm not sure how reliable those ones are.

For the non-baller average Joe out there with an electric range, what's your fancy or recommendation?

phil98z24
10-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Samsung FE710. Dual convection fans in a single oven that is partitioned with a removable divider to make it a single large cavity or dual, a shallow warming drawer that is actually useful instead of taking up unnecessary space, great elements, digital controls for oven, steam cleaning for interior, I could go on and on.

I saw them on sale at Home Depot and Lowes this week. Highly recommend for the price, 1500 +/-.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2013, 07:18 AM
I would reccomend against electrolux.
Only good feature of my range is that the "lower oven" (aka warming drawer) is a real oven that you can set to real cooking temps, not just wimpy 250F or something like a warming drawer.

msommers
10-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Considering this one:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-inch-freestanding-self-clean-electric-range-true-convection-stss-steam-c/829152

Cook tops all seem very similar with the Samsungs, the differences are in the oven. Warming drawer I don't care about and the dual oven options aren't something I really want to pay extra for. For $1,000 it seems like a solid unit. Good reviews from what I can tell. Maybe I'll just go with it.

bignerd
10-27-2013, 07:03 PM
We have this LG:
http://www.lg.com/us/ranges-ovens/lg-LRE3025ST-electric-range

I didn't think personally I would get a lot of use out of the two drawer oven. This one has a warming drawer on the bottom but we just store stuff in it.

Have had about 8 months now? No complaints, works well. Cleaning the ceramic/glass top can be a pain in the ass some days if something gets really burned onto one of the cooking areas.

It plays music for you when it reaches temperature. The convection is nice for baking cookies as you can do one sheet of cookies on every rack, so three sheets at a time and they all come out the same.

We looked at that Samsung too with the shelf that splits the oven into two temperatures, but like I said not something that we will use.

masoncgy
10-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Considering this one:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-inch-freestanding-self-clean-electric-range-true-convection-stss-steam-c/829152

Cook tops all seem very similar with the Samsungs, the differences are in the oven. Warming drawer I don't care about and the dual oven options aren't something I really want to pay extra for. For $1,000 it seems like a solid unit. Good reviews from what I can tell. Maybe I'll just go with it.

That is a nice range for the money, it has a full convection system (ie: generates heat from the top, back and bottom), steam clean option along with a standard self clean system and it's got a full 5-burner cooktop with expandable burners up front.

I'd go for one of those, no question. Nice piece.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
The "lower oven" option isn't something anyone is going to use often, but I have made use of it. Cooking desert at the same time as dinner, it's nice to be able to vary the temps independently. Of course, I'm not playing chef that often, so it's a rarely used feature.

95% of the time, we use it for storage too.

Sugarphreak
10-29-2013, 08:23 PM

Go4Long
10-29-2013, 08:47 PM
we have this slide in:
http://www.kitchenaid.ca/flash.cmd?/#/product/YKESS908SS/

love it...if you're going to a range and have granite, gotta go slide in :)

I actually use the warming drawer a surprising amount...and with the kidlet we liked the complete lack of dials on the front and the ability to lock out all the touch controls.

msommers
10-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Well decided on that one I posted. Price was right and for what I need/want, it's good enough. I'm not going to be living in this place forever so I didn't see the point. Slide in is aesthetically appealling but there seemed to be a massive price jump, which again I just cannot justify right now.

As for gas, I would have loved to. As funny as it is to say, when I work out of town our kitchens have pretty decent gas (well propane) stoves and I love cooking on them. But I don't think I could have plumbed a gas line in my condo and would have also required a fully vented fan which I don't think would be doable. My condo is an older style and all concrete. When I move into a home, I'll find a way to get a gas top and electric convection oven. But for now, gotta make do :)

masoncgy
10-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
we have this slide in:
http://www.kitchenaid.ca/flash.cmd?/#/product/YKESS908SS/

love it...if you're going to a range and have granite, gotta go slide in :)

I actually use the warming drawer a surprising amount...and with the kidlet we liked the complete lack of dials on the front and the ability to lock out all the touch controls.

The only drawback to that particular range is the burner sizes on the cooktop. They are pretty small, even that triple expandable in the front left corner is really little (9" wide or less).

Killer oven though... and sharp looking.