PDA

View Full Version : any carpet guys on here?

03ozwhip
10-28-2013, 01:12 PM
So long story short, I let some people stay in my house and their cats ruined my carpet. My house is only 3 years old but the carpet apparently is discontinued.

I need to get a quote on getting the carpet in that room replaced with some that is as close to the color as possible. Can anyone help, maybe beyond discount or whatever?

A790
10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
So long story short, I let some people stay in my house and their cats ruined my carpet. My house is only 3 years old but the carpet apparently is discontinued.

I need to get a quote on getting the carpet in that room replaced with some that is as close to the color as possible. Can anyone help, maybe beyond discount or whatever?
Are you sure the carpet can't be cleaned?

How old are the pet stains?

03ozwhip
10-28-2013, 01:29 PM
We shampooed it 3 times and and it still smelled the worst smell I've ever smelled. I had to cut pieces out, it was that bad, the carpet isn't savable at all unfortunately.

G-ZUS
10-28-2013, 01:35 PM
I got a buddy who does carpet, pm me if you want his number

03ozwhip
10-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Pm'd

HomespunLobster
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I did Carpets for Less last week to get mine installed. Same day quote/next day install. Got a wicked deal too. I can find my salesmans info if you are interested

03ozwhip
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
I did Carpets for Less last week to get mine installed. Same day quote/next day install. Got a wicked deal too. I can find my salesmans info if you are interested

for sure man, anything to help. I'm not actually paying for it to be replaced, the people who fucked it up are and they don't make a lot of money so, I gotta try and keep it cheap.

A790
10-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Next time that happens call me.

I have products designed to neutralize pet odours, and unless the underlay/floorboards are saturated, the carpet can probably be saved.

And I'm a helluva lot less expensive compared to buying new carpet...

03ozwhip
10-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks anyways, but ya the underlay was soaked, the base boards and even the drywall for fuck sakes, it is seriously worse than anything else I've ever seen caused by animals.

A790
10-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Thanks anyways, but ya the underlay was soaked, the base boards and even the drywall for fuck sakes, it is seriously worse than anything else I've ever seen caused by animals.
Ahh shit, that sucks man. When that happens you have to replace the affected areas.

We did a job on Friday where a dog had put down a TON of pee. The customers girlfriend then put baking soda on top, and then vinegar on top of that...

Actually, let me just show you what we were dealing with lol

BEFORE:
http://i.imgur.com/dpOoWed.jpg

During cleaning:
http://i.imgur.com/al5mA9E.jpg

After urine treatment, raking, and dry pass:
http://i.imgur.com/omwxBAb.jpg

msommers
10-28-2013, 05:17 PM
This is perfect timing as I was carpet shopping too. I got a really good feel from there. What install and underlay price did he give you?

03ozwhip
10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by A790

Ahh shit, that sucks man. When that happens you have to replace the affected areas.

We did a job on Friday where a dog had put down a TON of pee. The customers girlfriend then put baking soda on top, and then vinegar on top of that...

BEFORE:

During cleaning:

holy shit man, that's crazy, I wish that's all I would have needed. Msommers I'll check out some pricing and post it or pm you when I get a chance.

speedog
10-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Use an ultraviolet light in the dark to make sure everything has been removed/cleaned. Be aware though that a UV light will show you a lot of stuff that you may not have been aware was there in the first place - I found a large round spot on our downstairs carpet and when I questioned the kids, one admitted to spilling paint thinner in that area, couldn't see a thing with the lights on.

NoMoreG35
10-28-2013, 06:02 PM

BEFORE:

During cleaning:

Holy... That is IMPRESSIVE!!! However, from personal experience, the underneath might still have stain, and dogs can smell it, and keep peeing at the same spot.

A790
10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35

Holy... That is IMPRESSIVE!!! However, from personal experience, the underneath might still have stain, and dogs can smell it, and keep peeing at the same spot.
Absolutely this can happen, especially if you only clean the surface layer.

However, our equipment deep cleans the carpets. The treatments that we use for odour specifically also don't just "mask" the odour. We break down the particles themselves, leaving nothing left to cause an odour.

Obviously we can't guarantee complete removal, but our testing thus far has shown some impressive results. :)

The_Penguin
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Are you sure the carpet can't be cleaned?

How old are the pet stains?

Not cat pee. At least anything less than a small spot.

We had cats that would fight and spray, and companies that said "we have a method that will work"

Doesn't work.

speedog
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

We had cats that would fight and spray, and companies that said "we have a method that will work"

Doesn't work. Did you use enzyme based cleaners?

A790
10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Doesn't work.
I don't know your experience so it's difficult to comment on, but we've cleaned/deoderized dozens of houses. It really does depend on the severity of the staining/spraying and how long it's been in there.

We also don't use wimpy equipment. That plays a big role. Our machine uses 400 cfm of suction and 300 psi of water pressure, along with a 200 rpm rotating agitation head, to really agitate, rinse, and extract the area.

We also use enzyme based deodorizers because they work better than topical methods.

Now if you call me to come deoderize a room that's been full of cat pee for a few months, well, you're probably SOL.

Originally posted by speedog
Did you use enzyme based cleaners?
This is key.

Graham_A_M
10-28-2013, 10:56 PM
^ Can you PM me what you use? I've had amazing results with the RugDoctors you can rent, and I was about to buy a good used one, off their site, but what you have seems pretty damn amazing. Does it come with a hand tool attachment for cleaning car interiors?

The_Penguin
10-29-2013, 06:53 AM
The last people that tried used enzyme based cleaners and a very powerful machine. It helped a lot, in fact for a week or so we thought, hhmm it's finally done.
But the smell eventually came back, certainly not as bad, but there, (after the cats were gone) Only removing the carpet solved it.

speedog
10-29-2013, 07:01 AM
How much or how long the urine has been in an area will certainly be a determining factor in the ability to successfully clean that area.

A790
10-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Can you PM me what you use? I've had amazing results with the RugDoctors you can rent, and I was about to buy a good used one, off their site, but what you have seems pretty damn amazing. Does it come with a hand tool attachment for cleaning car interiors?
lol our machine is nearly $10k...

msommers
10-29-2013, 11:42 PM
The previous owners had a pet and some staining/smells were left which is what started the early hunt for carpet replacement before move-in. I really wanted to get it professionally cleaned but at the end of the day, I would still know and for some reason it just grosses me out haha. I know, big baby.

Bought some great stock stuff from Carpets for Less today. Terry is a really down-to-earth, no bullshit kind of guy and I would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone. I did a lot of shopping around and everyone tries to upsell you on shit when I very clearly did not want to break the bank on carpet (Deerfoot Carpet was actually pretty helpful too I will admit). Definitely check these guys out if you're in the market.

HomespunLobster
10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah I had terry as well from Carpets for less. Definitely got the job done.

http://i.imgur.com/PBx0BFC.jpg
This is why you can't clean all pet spots. That was several places in my house

turbotrip
10-30-2013, 10:12 AM
OP can you post how much it costs you to replace the carpet in the end. i have a room that needs to be replaced too due to tennants, and already had A790 try to remove the stains with no success.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Bought some great stock stuff from Carpets for Less today. Terry is a really down-to-earth, no bullshit kind of guy and I would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone. I did a lot of shopping around and everyone tries to upsell you on shit when I very clearly did not want to break the bank on carpet (Deerfoot Carpet was actually pretty helpful too I will admit). Definitely check these guys out if you're in the market.

Good to hear, I will give them a shout in a couple weeks to get a quote as all of the well-worn carpet in my upstairs is in need of replacing.

turbotrip
11-06-2013, 05:43 PM
any update on how much it cost?

Seth1968
11-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Put a sealant on the floor.

msommers
11-07-2013, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
any update on how much it cost?

Depends on what carpet you get of course. The average was $15/sq. yard for install and basic underlay. I think A&B was $14 and Kensington One was $16 or $17? Some places will charge an extra $1/sq. yard if it has a pattern, while others don't. Basic underlay was $5/sq. yard at most places and $10/sq. yard

msommers
11-14-2013, 12:53 AM
We also use enzyme based deodorizers because they work better than topical methods.

Cam, what would you recommend for getting some smells/stains out of concrete? I ripped out the old carpet but it wasn't until the carpet and underlay were gone that I even noticed a smell; the bottom of the carpet had obvious staining too. Now I had carpet guys coming in on Friday to install but that's gonna have to be delayed.

Given that I'm cleaning concrete, I don't really care too much how harsh the chemicals are. I've picked up an enzyme cleaner from Petland, TSP and a stiff brush, vinegar, bleach...hopefully something works!

The concrete is not sealed either (unfortunately) so it's in the pores I'm sure.

A790
11-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Cam, what would you recommend for getting some smells/stains out of concrete? I ripped out the old carpet but it wasn't until the carpet and underlay were gone that I even noticed a smell; the bottom of the carpet had obvious staining too. Now I had carpet guys coming in on Friday to install but that's gonna have to be delayed.

Given that I'm cleaning concrete, I don't really care too much how harsh the chemicals are. I've picked up an enzyme cleaner from Petland, TSP and a stiff brush, vinegar, bleach...hopefully something works!

The concrete is not sealed either (unfortunately) so it's in the pores I'm sure.
Concrete is pretty porous. You're going to need something a bit heftier than a enzyme-based cleaner for carpets/upholstery.

I just spoke with my contact at Apple Cleaning Supplies (403 569 6969) and he told me they have a couple of different products that can work. I'd take some photos of the affected areas and head down there. The guy you're looking for is Jay, and if he isn't there see if you can chat with Tomis. They'll be able to give you a good recommendation.

These products are a bit more heavy hitting than what you'd use in concrete and should get you squared away :)

Seth1968
11-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Even if you initially seem to get the smell out of the concrete, it will most likely come to the surface again.

Once you've cleaned the concrete as much as possible, seal it with an oil based sealer.

msommers
11-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks! I'll give that a whirl.

Seems like the Kilz Max will work well as a sealant. Here's hoping!

03ozwhip
11-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Totally forgot about this thread, but I went to a carpet place, found some carpet that is very close, if not the same as my original, installed with 8lb underlay will cost me $520 for a 10x10 room with a closet.

when I say it will cost me, I don't have any faith in these people paying for it. As far as the place is called, totally slips my mind but it's in the other building next to the PM hobbycraft building.