PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used car in Toronto advice

BMDUBS
10-29-2013, 07:42 PM
I am interested in a used 08' BMW M3 in Toronto. It is the right color combo I want with the right options so that is the only reason I am even considering it. Price is right too.

The problem is, I will not be physically able to go out there to inspect the car and ultimately if I make a deal with the seller who is Private, I would like the car shipped out to Calgary.

Have any of you ever bought a car sight unseen and if so do you have any tips? I am concerned about brokering the deal and exchanging the money. Is there and sort of business that will broker a deal like this?

I am thinking of having the vehicle inspected by the local BMW dealership but before I do that I will need to find someone to help make the transaction.

Any input will be helpful, thanks

DeeK
10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Buying from Ontario?

Most likely rusted out. The salt eats all the cars out there. Get it inspected by someone you trust out there.

DeleriousZ
10-29-2013, 08:22 PM
+1 for rust. all the rust, everywhere.

10 year old cars out east look like our 20 year old cars.

ddduke
10-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I've bought quite a few bikes and cars sight unseen. Most have worked out well and a few times I've been burned.

Call a local (to Toronto) BMW dealership and pay via CC to have it inspected, have the current owner bring it in for the inspection. Another thing you should do is ask for a shitload of detailed photos of every panel, seat, dash, trunk, under carriage so you're aware of any of every blemish/imperfection.

Originally posted by DeeK
Buying from Ontario?

Most likely rusted out. The salt eats all the cars out there. Get it inspected by someone you trust out there.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I've heard that in the last few years Calgary uses just as much salt as they use down east so the whole "eastern cars are rustier" is no longer true.

But again, I'm not sure of that and don't want to hunt down a source to prove it either way.

BMDUBS
10-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks ddduke. The car is 5 years old. I don't think rust will at all be an issue. I am looking to own this car for a few years and upgrade so not an issue.

As for exchanging money, how did you do that?

ddduke
10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
paypal, emt or bank transfer. A few times I've actually bought sight unseen and picked up on a later day in person.

Disoblige
10-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS
Thanks ddduke. The car is 5 years old. I don't think rust will at all be an issue.
There might not be rust, but there could be a lot of salt residue under the car, under engine bay, etc.

jdmXSI
10-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Good news is BMW has a 12 year rust perforation warranty... Down side is the salt could damage wiring harnesses and could give you some weird gremlins in the future and that would be my major concern.

Redlyne_mr2
10-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Spend the $500 or so to fly out there and look at the car, it's a big purchas :) . With that being said I've got 3 2008 M3s for sale, I'm not sure what you're paying for the one out there but I can always bring the price down on ours if it needs to happen.

Mitsu3000gt
10-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't touch a Toronto car in a million years due to the salt, but I have bought from the USA sight unseen.

Get him to take it to a BMW dealer, pay for an inspection, and have them take photos of it and/or give you their opinion about it's condition. They can check service history too. Ask lots of very specific questions. At least then you have a third party look at it. That's what I did, worked out perfectly. Maybe fire the individual at the BMW dealer $50 for his troubles for taking the pics & giving you a condition report.

The other option is finding someone you know, even a friend of a friend, who can go look at it for you. Anyone who can take good pictures and provide an honest opinion.

Jlude
10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Spend the $500 or so to fly out there and look at the car, it's a big purchas :) . With that being said I've got 3 2008 M3s for sale, I'm not sure what you're paying for the one out there but I can always bring the price down on ours if it needs to happen.

Took the words out of my mouth. How are you going to spend 40K+ on a car, but won't spend a few hundred to fly to the car and make sure it's worth spending the money.

heavyD
10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS
Thanks ddduke. The car is 5 years old. I don't think rust will at all be an issue. I am looking to own this car for a few years and upgrade so not an issue.

As for exchanging money, how did you do that?

Yes it will. I've seen 3 year old cars from east with early surface rust. They use more salt over there mixed with the very high humidity makes for the perfect conditions for rust. Calgary is bone dry in comparison which is why cars last longer here despite also using salt in the winter. Basically multiply the age of a Toronto car x2 so expect the body to be in about the same condition of a 10 year old Calgary car. Now if the car was garaged in the winters then it may be okay but you will never know unless you go in person to look at it.

If you go yourself look under the car (any steel or cast iron suspension parts will likely look very rusty which is typical but make sure it's not overly excessive), under the hood (shock towers can show early signs, et.) and carefully around the wheel wells as this is the area that body rust starts.

SkiBum5.0
10-30-2013, 03:00 PM
I've got some pretty solid experience with what you are thinking as I bought my M3 from a dealership in TO. First of all, do you know anyone that lives near the car that can go take a look? Second, the paperwork can be sent via the mail (use overnight as that makes it easier). I would call your bank, ask them what they think of sending a bank draft to someone via mail. Third, and most important, don't just have an inspection done by a dealership. Have a pre-purchase inspection (PPP) done by a reputable shop that specializes in BMW's. There are more than a few in the GTA (check M3post.com's canada section to find the right one.

A dealership is not your best source for a PPP because they see 100 335's for every M product. Specialty shops usually focus on the high performance cars. If you can get there, there is a shop called Engineered Automotive north of Toronto that is excellent.
PM me if you want more detail as there is a lot to consider - as others have mentioned, if you can fly out there for the transaction/PPP that s your best bet.

SkiBum5.0
10-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Also, get the VIN number as Calgary BMW can run a full service history report on the car which will tell you a lot.

adamc
10-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I fly free on air canada.

I'll go out and have a look at it & take detailed photos as well as test drive it or take it for a pre-purchase inspection at a dealership, for the cost of my expenses while I'm there for the weekend.

Mibz
10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I fly free on air canada.

I'll go out and have a look at it & take detailed photos as well as test drive it or take it for a pre-purchase inspection at a dealership, for the cost of my expenses while I'm there for the weekend. Dinner at Harbour Sixty incoming.