PDA

View Full Version : Parking school buses on residential streets?

CapnCrunch
10-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Like the topic says, are you allowed to park those big full sized school buses on a residential street?

There's about 8 of them being left on my street every single weekend. I didn't really care before, but with the snow this past weekend, its starting to be a pain in the ass.

speedog
10-30-2013, 11:29 AM
What did the 311 people say?

CapnCrunch
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by speedog
What did the 311 people say?

I haven't called yet but I spoke with them a while ago about an abandoned truck that's been in front of my house since May and got nowhere, so I'm expecting the same run-around.

Sugarphreak
10-30-2013, 12:20 PM

CapnCrunch
10-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I think that commercial vehicles over a specified GVWR are not allowed to be parked for more than a certain amount of time on residential streets, but 311 is where I would start.

That said, maybe do what the Jeffersons did?

http://www.carmenquinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Moving-Up.jpg

Then you won't have these kinds of problems :D

Lol, thats the problem. I did move to a nicer area and these buses are slumming it up.

mr2mike
10-31-2013, 08:19 AM
My area, they park limo's.
Guess that's what happens when you move up. haha.

darthVWader
10-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Just call the Calgary Parking Authority

Tik-Tok
10-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Like the topic says, are you allowed to park those big full sized school buses on a residential street?

No. Buses are considered a commercial truck, so if they're over 4500kg GVWR they can't park overnight on a residential street.

Masked Bandit
10-31-2013, 12:36 PM
OP, where do you live that there are 8 buses sitting around? My understanding is that no large(ish) commercial vehicles (over a one ton) can be parked overnight on a residential street.

Sugarphreak
10-31-2013, 12:43 PM

nzwasp
11-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Man, CPA is fucking useless. I have this exact problem on my street at the moment, some person is parking their big yellow school bus in our neighborhood making it hard to see oncoming traffic etc and its always parked there all weekend and all night.

I called CPA and they said for someone to go out I have to call after 8pm when its there so they can tow it at night. I called just now saying it was there and it doesnt matter that its 2pm on the weekend they wont tee up a visit for later tonight.

speedog
11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Might be quite a bit more effective to call the actual bus company with the unit number of the offending bus.

nzwasp
11-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Well I imagine they must be condoning the activity if they are missing a large bus every night.

But i guess they also dont want their bus towed.

cloud7
11-09-2014, 12:01 AM
The CPA is the right place ot call, but sometimes that are absolutely useless and not worth the time... the more info you give them, the less likely they are going to come out sometimes. I called in a couple of vehicles parked on the residential street in front of the community mailboxes inconveniencing everyone that lived on the block for the entire winter last year and the CPA did nothing. Those vehicles did not have valid year sticker on the license plates either so I thought they were abandoned or possibly stolen... however, apparently the CPA staff said that they have valid registration according to their records and they live in the area, so nothing was done... even though the letter of the rule is that you can only park on the street for 3 days without moving the vehicle. If I get a tow vehicle, I am just gonna keep it parked on the street and not worried about getting it ticketed.

speedog
11-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Well I imagine they must be condoning the activity if they are missing a large bus every night.

But i guess they also dont want their bus towed.

Great assumptions.

It didn't occur to you that what the bus company may have been told by a driver and what is actually happening may be two different things?

blairtruck
11-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by cloud7
If I get a tow vehicle, I am just gonna keep it parked on the street and not worried about getting it ticketed.
once you get a tow vehcile. now just drag unwanted vehciles into the middle of the road,. they will be towed in no time.

had to do that a few years ago for an abandoned car in front my house. was there for weeks with flat tires and leaking oil with expired stickers.

i used my work truck and tow rope and pulled it a few feet away from the curb. not enough to bother traffic. but enough to get edmonton parking to come take it away. after many complaints over the month.

will need a big tow vehicle for multiple buses thou lol

nzwasp
11-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Update:

Well I called the bus company on wednesday, they said they would talk to the driver.

Called today:
The driver just assumed that she wasnt allowed to park it on that side of the street so all she did was move the bus to the other side of the street.

She must not be the sharpest tool in the shed, or the company didn't pass on the message properly. Shes now parking on my frigging street squeezing all the traffic down to one lane that comes into the community.

Gonna call CPA tonight and hopefully they will ticket her or tow her.

CapnCrunch
11-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Update:

Well I called the bus company on wednesday, they said they would talk to the driver.

Called today:
The driver just assumed that she wasnt allowed to park it on that side of the street so all she did was move the bus to the other side of the street.

She must not be the sharpest tool in the shed, or the company didn't pass on the message properly. Shes now parking on my frigging street squeezing all the traffic down to one lane that comes into the community.

Gonna call CPA tonight and hopefully they will ticket her or tow her.

CPA basically told me that there is nothing illegal about parking a school bus on a residential street. Good luck.