PDA

View Full Version : moving wireless router from basement

BeyondNewB
10-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I have my wireless router in the basement and want to move it up to the main floor to get better reception.

would I need to buy another switch to put in the basement then plug the wireless router into one of the network ports.

ie.. I want to move wireless router to port B..

or can I put a female connection on the end of B and plug the main line into that?

98type_r
10-30-2013, 03:27 PM
connect the cable going to B and pop the router in and you're set.

eblend
10-30-2013, 04:13 PM
If I understand this correctly, main line is your internet connection right, is it coaxial (shaw) or telephone (copper telus)? If its either one and you want to move a router to somewhere where there is an existing coax or telephone connection exist, then you can just plug your router into there for the internet connection, then plug the routers Ethernet port into point B for example, and in the basement tie all the existing ends to a Ethernet switch.

I am at work right now and can post additional options if you don't have an internet capable connection upstairs, once I get home as I don't got much time to reply right now

DeeK
10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Most switches don't have any firmware/hardware protection like firewalls, adaptive port blocking, or any other security protection.

My recommendation:
instead of buying a switch, just buy another wireless router off and put it in spot B(run a cable between them), then disable the DHCP function on the router in spot B, and enable the wireless with the same name and passwords and you'll have a bigger range, and more secure than a switch. Not only that but your devices will swap back and forth between the routers that give them the better signal.

edit: wait, are you saying that off the main line is your shaw/telus modem/wireless router? in which case, you CANNOT move that off the main line. It's not only a router, but a modem as well.

revelations
10-30-2013, 08:45 PM
OP if youre using SHAW/TELUS wireless equipment, start by purchasing a proper wireless router (100 -150$) an disable their stuff.

9/10 times that solves the wireless reception issue - their devices are almost useless when it comes to this. I see this on a daily basis. You can likely get away with leaving the new router in the basement....unless you have a concrete mansion.

JustinMCS
10-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

My recommendation:
instead of buying a switch, just buy another wireless router off and put it in spot B(run a cable between them), then disable the DHCP function on the router in spot B, and enable the wireless with the same name and passwords and you'll have a bigger range, and more secure than a switch. Not only that but your devices will swap back and forth between the routers that give them the better signal.

+1

Buy another router and make it a wireless access point

eblend
10-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

+1

Buy another router and make it a wireless access point

Or just buy an Access Point.

The whole switch vs. router recommendation doesn't really apply if he moves his internet source along with his router/modem to another room. By putting a switch in the basement and tying in all the network connections, the Ethernet devices will just have to go to location B to route if that is where his router and internet connection are now located.

OP, if you have a separate Modem and then a router on top of that, then you could always leave the modem in the basement, then connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the router at location B, but you would no longer be able to tie into the rest of the Ethernet locations unless you got multiple Ethernet cables to location B, in which case you can run a cable from your LAN interface on the router to a switch in the basement, thus completing the connection to all other Ethernet locations.

But really, if you are going through all this trouble, just get an AP and put it upstairs connected to the Ethernet cable at location B and you will be set.

JustinMCS
10-31-2013, 09:49 AM
lol yes, or do that, and it would be cheaper.

nickyh
11-02-2013, 09:16 AM
We called Telus because our max download speed was terrible upstairs, we could not load a webpage it was so bad, they came out with an extender and that boosted our signal upstairs - we were still not that happy with the speed and got a free upgrade from copper to fiber. Issues are gone.

speedog
11-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by nickyh
We called Telus because our max download speed was terrible upstairs, we could not load a webpage it was so bad, they came out with an extender and that boosted our signal upstairs - we were still not that happy with the speed and got a free upgrade from copper to fiber. Issues are gone.
If you didn't change your base plan, then your speeds would be the same regardless of whether or not you are on copper or fiber unless maybe the fiber modem is a bit more robust in some ways. Is your plan still the same?

eblend
11-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by speedog

If you didn't change your base plan, then your speeds would be the same regardless of whether or not you are on copper or fiber unless maybe the fiber modem is a bit more robust in some ways. Is your plan still the same?

I went from copper to fiber myself with Telus and they still use the same all in one modem/router but utilize the WAN port on it to feed Ethernet from the fiber modem, so nothing in terms of wireless should have changed in that configuration. I know they have a new Actiontec as well but never seen it myself, I think it is required if you are doing bonded 50mbps over copper which requires two phone lines.