PDA

View Full Version : How to find a vehicle you used to own????

16hypen3sp
10-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi there... new to the site.

I have started to track down an old truck I used to own. I bought it in '05, sold it in '08.

I didn't have the VIN but I miraculously managed to find a registration slip for it today. So armed with the VIN, I went to the registry office. (I'm in Alberta)

I told the clerk what I was up to and if she knew of any way to find it and she just laughed and said "good luck."

We looked up VIR (Vehicle Info Report). This brings up where it has been registered throughout the province, how many times, any liens against it, current status and general info about the truck. ($22)

According to the Privacy Act, I am not permitted to have any info on the current owner... Which sucks because thats obviously the info I need... and its right there in their system.

I dont have a copy of the bill of sale when I sold it in '08.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this before and any tips. I want to find her.

Anyone in Sylvan Lake see a teal blue '96 Ram 1500 reg cab, short box with matching tonneau cover and side skirts?? haha.

NoMoreG35
10-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Question... Why? Do you want to buy it back or?

16hypen3sp
10-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Question... Why? Do you want to buy it back or?

Just wondering what happened to it. If a mechanic got a hold of it, it could be a good thing to buy back. (Now that I can afford numerous vehicles.)

Holds a certain sentimental value.

Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion it has been retired to the wreckers.

Tik-Tok
10-30-2013, 07:08 PM
You could run a car-fax report to see if it's still being registered. That won't tell you who owns it though.

bjstare
10-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

*snip*

Anyone in Sylvan Lake see a teal blue '96 Ram 1500 reg cab, short box with matching tonneau cover and side skirts?? haha.

I can only picture this truck being driven by a dude that has a moustache and/or mullet. And is maybe wearing an Iron Maiden tee with cut off sleeves.

And no, I don't have anything useful to add to the thread.

mr2mike
10-31-2013, 09:29 AM
If you wanted to be able to see it around the odd time. Either have a more rare vehicle or customize it so it's obvious.

Sucks that they let you run the report for $22 and then tell you that they don't provide owner info. But I could only assume they wouldn't. I wouldn't want some dingus coming to my house years later wanting to see his old vehicle.

quick_scar
10-31-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm interested in this as well. A few years back after my grandpa passed away, we had to sell his truck as it did not make sense to keep it. Now I would like the chance to buy it back for the sentimental value. I check KIJIJI almost weekly hoping it will show up one day.

Assuming it has not been altered too much, there were some pretty identifiable things about the truck.

Hopefully I can find it one day.

ercchry
10-31-2013, 09:53 AM
take out $100 in cash, drive to NE, visit shady registry ???? profit

16hypen3sp
10-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
If you wanted to be able to see it around the odd time. Either have a more rare vehicle or customize it so it's obvious.

Sucks that they let you run the report for $22 and then tell you that they don't provide owner info. But I could only assume they wouldn't. I wouldn't want some dingus coming to my house years later wanting to see his old vehicle.

gee, thanks for the help. haha

16hypen3sp
10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
UPDATE.

I went to a different registry office and she punched in the VIN and it shows no active registration. And the last person to register it was the person I sold it to back in '08.

Registered Sept. 10, 08 in Sylvan Lake, AB.

So that owner has let the registration expire and now there is no active registration for it.
I suspect the truck is toast. Most likely in the wrecking yard or sitting in this guys back yard rusting away.

:thumbsdow