PDA

View Full Version : Interesting engine oil test-Pennzoil ranked #1

corsvette
10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I found this oil test interesting with some surprising results.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

nobb
10-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks, good read. I am absolutely anal when it comes to how I maintain my vehicles so it's always interesting to understand the science behind automotive fluids.

Too bad we can't get Pennzoil Ultra locally. I do normally stock up on Pennzoil Platinum when it goes on sale though.

In addition to anti-wear properties, it would've also been interesting to see more comments on the cleaning properties of oils as well as the importance of oil filter selection.

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2013, 09:23 PM
That is interesting.

I ran a pennzoil full synthetic once and my engine used so much of it under "spirited" driving that it was borderline ridiculous. I switched back to a Castrol of the same weight and consumption went back to normal. :dunno:

CapnCrunch
10-31-2013, 07:03 AM
His has test has almost nothing to do with the conditions inside of an engine. Pennzoil is a good oil but this test proves nothing.

heavyD
10-31-2013, 07:12 AM
5W30 Pennzoil Ultra is the exact oil I'm running in my STI. It's a great oil. My only beef is that it's not readily available in Canada. I had to get mine from the US.

If anyone knows where to get it in Calgary please let me know.

Sugarphreak
10-31-2013, 01:06 PM

bart
10-31-2013, 01:53 PM
if you have a direct injection engine make sure you use the Euro L 5W-30 version of the ultra...

see page 19 :) http://www.lubrizol.com/EngineOilAdditives/ACEA/ConferencePapers/LowerSAPS.pdf

i use VAG oil, castrol edge LL03, both seem very similar

Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30

Boron: 70
Silicon: 3
Sodium: 1
Calcium: 1676
Magnesium: 8
Phosphorus: 634
Zinc: 723
SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 65.4
cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 11.71
Flashpoint:460F
TBN: 5.6

Castrol SLX Pro LL03 5w-30

Boron: 1
Silicon: 1
Sodium: 3
Calcium: 1700
Magnesium: 1
Phosphorus: 803
Zinc: 901
SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 64.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 11.54
Flashpoint:430F
TBN: 5.4

jcox20
10-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Anyone looking for Pennzoil Ultra I bought it like a month ago from a Napa in Edmonton on sale for like $25 for a 5 L. Guessing a Napa in Calgary should carry it as well.

topsecret
10-31-2013, 07:38 PM
I can get Penzoil Ultra if anyone is interested feel free to pm me. :burnout:

Graham_A_M
11-01-2013, 12:14 AM
I use Amsoil in all my super hard working, ultra high RPM engines.... Ive noticed the engines run noticeably cooler with it.
Its expensive, but Ive had zero engine issues with it, even in our agricultural engines which run at 100% max engine RPM for 8-12 hours a day, for months at a time. I love that stuff, its unbelievably good oil. Which says a lot when its lubing either my 15k RPM Triumph sportbike engine, or a 14-15 liter straight 6 diesel running at 2200 RPM for that whole time.

but to date, we`ve only used regular (nothing fancy) Shell or Penzoil in our `95 F250 (351 windsor gas) with 1.4 million km`s and it still works fine, doesn`t burn oil or anything even with that many KMs. Original engine and everything. :dunno:

heavyD
11-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I use Amsoil in all my super hard working, ultra high RPM engines.... Ive noticed the engines run noticeably cooler with it.
Its expensive, but Ive had zero engine issues with it, even in our agricultural engines which run at 100% max engine RPM for 8-12 hours a day, for months at a time. I love that stuff, its unbelievably good oil. Which says a lot when its lubing either my 15k RPM Triumph sportbike engine, or a 14-15 liter straight 6 diesel running at 2200 RPM for that whole time.

but to date, we`ve only used regular (nothing fancy) Shell or Penzoil in our `95 F250 (351 windsor gas) with 1.4 million km`s and it still works fine, doesn`t burn oil or anything even with that many KMs. Original engine and everything. :dunno:

How can you tell the engines are running cooler when the thermostat regulates them to the same temperature regardless of the oil?

Graham_A_M
11-01-2013, 11:23 PM
The Temp gauge on them shows their running about 10 degrees cooler. It doesn't do that with other oils oddly enough.
In every driving condition, the times Im using Amsoil, they run noticeably cooler.

googe
11-01-2013, 11:54 PM
I feel like people sure fool themselves a lot when it comes to what difference they can perceive with a different oil. Especially when they talk about how smooth their revs feel.

And I don't trust tests that are hosted on blogspot by a guy who can't spell. Surely someone can do a proper, scientific test.

m10-power
11-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by googe
I feel like people sure fool themselves a lot when it comes to what difference they can perceive with a different oil. Especially when they talk about how smooth their revs feel.

And I don't trust tests that are hosted on blogspot by a guy who can't spell. Surely someone can do a proper, scientific test.

:werd:

This oil has 50% more flux capacity therefore its better...

Change your oil based on manufacturers recommondations, use which ever brand of synthetic is on sale in the recommended weight and spend more time worrying about something else. 99% of people dont keep the vehicles long enough for any of it to matter.

heavyfuel
11-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I love how people on the diesel forums claim they can't feel a 15k trailer yet they feel a difference with oils. Gimme a break lol

Kloubek
11-02-2013, 09:43 AM
This is interesting; I was told once that Penzoil was one of the worst... maybe because it is often the "standard" oil provided by oil change places. You pay more to get other oils, but in the end - you get less protection.

Thanks so much for the post.

heavyD
11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
The Temp gauge on them shows their running about 10 degrees cooler. It doesn't do that with other oils oddly enough.
In every driving condition, the times Im using Amsoil, they run noticeably cooler.

That's impossible as the thermostat regulates the engine to a certain temperature all the time when its up to temperature so your engine can't run 10 degrees cooler with a proper functioning thermostat as if the oil is actually making the engine run cooler you still wouldn't see it as the thermostat would compensate to ensure that the engine remains constantly around it's set point.

heavyD
11-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
This is interesting; I was told once that Penzoil was one of the worst... maybe because it is often the "standard" oil provided by oil change places. You pay more to get other oils, but in the end - you get less protection.

Thanks so much for the post.

Penzoil Platinum has long been considered one of the best budget synthetic oils.

CompletelyNumb
11-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

That's impossible as the thermostat regulates the engine to a certain temperature all the time when its up to temperature so your engine can't run 10 degrees cooler with a proper functioning thermostat as if the oil is actually making the engine run cooler you still wouldn't see it as the thermostat would compensate to ensure that the engine remains constantly around it's set point.

Unless its in a large engine running so hard for so long that the tstat is constantly open and circulating.

msommers
11-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I bet different oils will lube different engines better than others but at the end of the day, most of the oils on the market now are pretty amazing, even regular oil.

You can have your oil sent away for lab testing if you want some scientific data for comparison.

Alak
11-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Royal Purple is the best. Horsepower TV said so. :burnout:

heavyD
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Unless its in a large engine running so hard for so long that the tstat is constantly open and circulating.

If your cooling system is constantly opening then you clearly have cooling system issues but oil simply doesn't play as big a role in engine temperatures as long as it's at the full mark. Low oil level can lead to elevated engine temperatures as the coolant has to pick up the slack for that lack of oil cooling due to less oil to absorb waste heat. Still what's that got to do with him saying the engine runs 10 degrees cooler with Amsoil? That can only happen if you change the thermostat providing he wasn't running low oil levels with the previous oil.

This is simply placebo effect as Amsoil is not significantly better than most synthetic oils on the market and does not have better cooling properties.

CompletelyNumb
11-04-2013, 07:01 AM
That's all true. I was simply presenting a counter point to your "all engines run a specific temp" argument. I've worked on heavy machinery before, and in the right conditions, no matter how hard it tries, it's not going to be running at one specified temperature.

As for oil lowering water temp by 10 degrees, maybe if it was measured in F, and the cleaner oil simply provided better lubrication. Perhaps he meant oil temp, and for the same reasons it's valid.