Stupid bitch

roll_over
10-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
lol.

Stupid bitch

englishbob
10-31-2013, 07:57 PM
They call passing on the inside 'undertaking' for a reason.

xnvy
10-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by roll_over

lol.

Stupid bitch

spikerS
10-31-2013, 08:25 PM
sorry, but you are being the asshat here.

She is upset because she could have wiped you out, and understandable too.

I am guessing that you are speeding here as you are overtaking traffic, quite quickly, that appears to have already established pace and flow.

The woman starts her lane change and under normal circumstances, has no reason to believe that a motorcycle, or any other vehicle for that matter, would be there in a short amount of time.

She signaled, and attempted a lane change, and barely got on top of the line when she saw you, and aborted the lane change.

She did not really do anything wrong here, and if you and her would have collided, it would have been your fault, not that that matters much when you are dead.

The second you stop riding your bike like everyone in a cage is trying to kill you, is when you get complacent, and you get killed. There are too many close calls and fatalities with bikes. It doesn't matter who is at fault in a bike VS car or truck, because it will always be the rider that will be on the losing end of it.

Ride smarter, and don't put yourself into dangerous situations like this.

Masked Bandit
10-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't know if the OP is the rider in the video or not but the guy on the bike is going to die. Anyone with any common sense knows you don't drive considerably faster than the flow of traffic in the should lane like that. The guy on the bike should take a defensive driving course.

Cos
10-31-2013, 08:39 PM

zipdoa
10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Spikers and Masked Bandit are on the money.

Lady in the truck could've taken a... more dignified approach to voicing her concerns, but regardless, the rider obviously gave her a spook speeding through the inside lane. I don't know why motorcyclists ride aggressively - you're always going to lose in a collision.

ExtraSlow
10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Scat?

zipdoa
10-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Scat?

No. He would've chased her down and given her the finger/taunted her. And then added it to a compilation video with dozens of other incidents like it.

AndyL
10-31-2013, 08:47 PM
I miss my old bumper sticker

<- Pass this side ....................... suicide ->

I called it fair warning... :dunno:

Passing is done to the left, not the right... This was probably a question on your learners permit...

Mibz
10-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Passing is done to the left, not the right... I don't understand this mentality. Are you not paying attention to the right side of your vehicle? Are you unable to judge the speed of a vehicle in your right side mirror? What makes passing on the right on those kinds of roads any more dangerous?

This was probably a question on your learners permit... I don't know where you guys are from where passing on the right is frowned upon, but it's perfectly legal in Alberta and the only thing that would make it unsafe is people who aren't prepared to be passed on the right. That's on them, not the people passing.

What am I missing? If I pulled what she did, you bet I'd be waving to apologize.

Originally posted by spikers
She did not really do anything wrong here, and if you and her would have collided, it would have been your fault And this is just plain false. You are THE WORST for throwing judgment around here without knowing the facts.

rob the knob
10-31-2013, 08:55 PM
rHu8r0bxyMA

55taAKISsck

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
BpGCGMxpCUA

asp integra
10-31-2013, 09:03 PM
stupid woman driver. not only did she almost hit you she was also changing lanes in an intersection which is also illegal

16hypen3sp
10-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I don't understand this mentality. Are you not paying attention to the right side of your vehicle? Are you unable to judge the speed of a vehicle in your right side mirror? What makes passing on the right on those kinds of roads any more dangerous?

I don't know where you guys are from where passing on the right is frowned upon, but it's perfectly legal in Alberta and the only thing that would make it unsafe is people who aren't prepared to be passed on the right. That's on them, not the people passing.

What am I missing?

And this is just plain false. You are THE WORST for throwing judgment around here without knowing the facts.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Passing on the right is legal here in Alberta. She attempted to change lanes when it was not safe to do so. It's plain and simple. Guy on bike approaches from behind on the right, woman tries to change lanes, almost hits biker. Simple. Check that lane to see biker, wait for him to pass, then change lanes. She wasn't paying attention.

btimbit
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
stupid woman driver. not only did she almost hit you she was also changing lanes in an intersection which is also illegal

I've always thought changing lanes in an intersection was illegal too, but I've never been able to find anything confirming that. I've looked through the TSA but nothing.

roopi
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
So if I'm driving down Deerfoot I shouldn't pass anyone who is in the left lane? :rolleyes:

spikerS
10-31-2013, 09:08 PM

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Passing on the right is legal here in Alberta. She attempted to change lanes when it was not safe to do so. It's plain and simple. Guy on bike approaches from behind on the right, woman tries to change lanes, almost hits biker. Simple. Check that lane to see biker, wait for him to pass, then change lanes. She wasn't paying attention.

Keep that mentality, I will watch for your obituary. It does not matter who is right or wrong when you are on a bike. Physics don't care.

btimbit
10-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by roopi
So if I'm driving down Deerfoot I shouldn't pass anyone who is in the left lane? :rolleyes:

No, you shouldn't. But if you're going faster they shouldn't be in the left lane. Kinda screwed either way.

AndyL
10-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Funny, it wasn't always legal to pass on the right - I see its in there as of 02 - but I know it was a question on my learners (that almost required me to retake it - damnit)

A lot of it has to do with mirror differences - the right mirror is convex - to give a wider field of view. It is less safe for a smaller vehicle to pass on the right. Especially a small motorcycle going twice the speed of traffic.

BokCh0y
10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
[/B][/QUOTE]

:werd:

BokCh0y
10-31-2013, 09:19 PM
lol.

Stupid bitch

:werd:

16hypen3sp
10-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

I've always thought changing lanes in an intersection was illegal too, but I've never been able to find anything confirming that. I've looked through the TSA but nothing.

EXACTLY! I too have a fairly decent understanding of the TSA. I have seen police go on about stuff that they say is illegal, but when I try to find it, it isn't in there. I also have a RCMP buddy who even told me that most officers dont actually know much about traffic law. Sheriffs might but actual RC's dont. Seems odd.

spikerS
10-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

And this is just plain false. You are THE WORST for throwing judgment around here without knowing the facts.

Really?

What in my statement is false? You want to attack me, back it the fuck up.

Seriously, you got something for me man, but I don't want your hard on. Put it back in your pants.

btimbit
10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Funny, it wasn't always legal to pass on the right - I see its in there as of 02 - but I know it was a question on my learners (that almost required me to retake it - damnit)

A lot of it has to do with mirror differences - the right mirror is convex - to give a wider field of view. It is less safe for a smaller vehicle to pass on the right. Especially a small motorcycle going twice the speed of traffic.

Bigger blind spot too.

xnvy
10-31-2013, 09:34 PM

Really?

What in my statement is false? You want to attack me, back it the fuck up.

Seriously, you got something for me man, but I don't want your hard on. Put it back in your pants. I'm pretty sure Mibz can do an adequate job of backing himself up but I feel like taking a gander at this.

So we've already established (based on previous posts) that passing on the right is (probably) legal. If that's the case, in the event of a collision between the biker and the truck, while no doubt the biker would get the worst of it, I think the blame would still fall on the truck for an unsafe lane change because it failed to notice a faster vehicle approaching on the right. The bike wouldn't be at fault because it was just maintaining its lane. Of course, if the bike was speeding (which it very well could have been) then all my armchair speculation goes out the window. So yeah... there's my view on it (and I know nobody asked but if you have an issue with it...).

ddduke
10-31-2013, 09:46 PM
beyond's too funny. Motorcyclist passes on the right going maybe 20-30 over, he catches shit. Bart does 300 on a public road at night, no big deal.

spikerS
10-31-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Mibz can do an adequate job of backing himself up but I feel like taking a gander at this.

So we've already established (based on previous posts) that passing on the right is (probably) legal.
It is 100% legal. People are confused about this, because it was written with the intention of stopping people from passing on the shoulder. At least this is what was told to me during a ride along with an RCMP member.

If that's the case, in the event of a collision between the biker and the truck, while no doubt the biker would get the worst of it, I think the blame would still fall on the truck for an unsafe lane change because it failed to notice a faster vehicle approaching on the right. The bike wouldn't be at fault because it was just maintaining its lane.

You are misunderstanding my post. I state that it does not matter who is at fault. Physics does not care who is at fault. In a truck VS bike accident, the biker always loses, and has an exponentially greater chance of being killed. Dead is dead, regardless of who is at fault.

Of course, if the bike was speeding (which it very well could have been) then all my armchair speculation goes out the window. So yeah... there's my view on it (and I know nobody asked but if you have an issue with it...).

I have no issues with anyone's opinion, and thank you for at least articulating yours. I may not agree with people's opinion, but everyone is entitled to one.

JRSC00LUDE
10-31-2013, 09:49 PM
I fail to see where any fault could be placed on the biker. Him speeding is irrelevant, it's her fault for veering into the lane AND she corrected it. She just didn't realize it was her fault.

What could happen if he got hit is also irrelevant to the video.

:dunno:

dirtsniffer
10-31-2013, 09:50 PM
That's not even considered passing. You can't tell if he is speeding because traffic could just be pulling away from the light.

Clearly the broad didn't shoulder check or look in the mirror before she changed lanes.

Wha happened t signal, mirror, shoulder check, then change.

95EagleAWD
10-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

No it isn't. It just isn't smart.

lilmira
10-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Speeding or not, the bike wasn't going that fast. Some people either can't judge the rate of approach of the vehicle coming up or don't care.
I'm guessing that she saw enough room from the bike to initiate the lane change but failed to notice how fast the bike was coming.

The person changing lane has the most responsibility to make sure that there is room before doing so IMO.

My theory regarding changing lane in an intersection is that it confuses the heck out of people. Imaging you are waiting to do a left turn what would you think when you see oncoming traffic with signal on?

M.alex
11-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
beyond's too funny. Motorcyclist passes on the right going maybe 20-30 over, he catches shit. Bart does 300 on a public road at night, no big deal.

No big deal because it was on a closed course; duh :nut:

Kijho
11-01-2013, 06:28 AM
RUP 932

Stupid bitch.

Mibz
11-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Funny, it wasn't always legal to pass on the right - I see its in there as of 02 - but I know it was a question on my learners (that almost required me to retake it - damnit) It wasn't on my learners in '98 or '99. All good though, I forgot that we have some senior citizens on the forum ;)

A lot of it has to do with mirror differences - the right mirror is convex - to give a wider field of view. It is less safe for a smaller vehicle to pass on the right. Especially a small motorcycle going twice the speed of traffic. I shouldn't have used the term "more dangerous" because you're right, passing on the right is arguably more dangerous than passing on the left. My point was that being more dangerous doesn't make it dangerous.

Really?

What in my statement is false? As mentioned by xnvy, you used the term "at fault" and that's what I was going after. You corrected yourself above and I completely agree with the correction. Doesn't matter who's at fault, if a rider gets into an accident, he loses. That said, I firmly believe that charges would be laid against the woman if a collision had occured.

Seriously, you got something for me man, but I don't want your hard on. Put it back in your pants. I pick on you because you take a lot of firm stances that I disagree with. It's nothing personal, just that sometimes I think you're better than the shit that comes out of your mouth. I also know that no matter how many times we fight, we'll both just have a Snickers later and be cool :P

Masked Bandit
11-01-2013, 09:00 AM

You are misunderstanding my post. I state that it does not matter who is at fault. Physics does not care who is at fault. In a truck VS bike accident, the biker always loses, and has an exponentially greater chance of being killed. Dead is dead, regardless of who is at fault.

This is the key point. The biker didn't do anything illegal, true. But the single biggest thing to remember when on a motorcycle is that might makes right. The other guy being "in the wrong" doesn't make any difference if you're dead. If you can't get your head around that concept then you have no business being on a motorcycle.

Tik-Tok
11-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I fail to see where any fault could be placed on the biker. Him speeding is irrelevant, it's her fault for veering into the lane AND she corrected it. She just didn't realize it was her fault.

What could happen if he got hit is also irrelevant to the video.

:dunno:

Yeah, I don't understand why everyone is saying "HE PASSED ON THE RIGHTZ!"

Uhh, he was in the right lane, and there was no one in front of him, and no sign he was actually speeding. Everyone here does 80km.h on Deerfoot, if the person on their left is doing 80?

She barely even had a signal on before she tried changing.

AudiPWR
11-01-2013, 09:30 AM
80% of the time I have to pass in the right lane, because nobody in this damn province seems to know that the left lane is the faster moving traffic lane..

A790
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
When I ride I ride like cars are trying to kill me. The biker should have exercised more sense when choosing a time to pass. Not because they were wrong, but because things could have gone wrong.

n1zm0
11-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by A790
When I ride I ride like cars are trying to kill me.

That's the first thing we were taught when I took the Safety Council Motorbike course before we even got on bikes, always make yourself feel like everyone's out to get you, enforces you to stay away from things with 4 wheels or more as a habit.

I think the woman was shocked that she could've hit OP that it turned into anger. Still though, I see double faults from both parties as many others have said.

Sugarphreak
11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Modelexis
11-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
shoulder checked and looked into my mirrors, was all clear. Halfway into my change a motorbike doing twice the speed limit suddenly roared up alongside me.

Your fault for not signaling.

:D

colinxx235
11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Your fault for not signaling.

:D

Who care who is at fault when you are laying dead on the side of the road :D

Witnesses will most likely say you were recklessly driving and had you been driving properly would still be alive. Please don't drive smart in the future... :devil:

Modelexis
11-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Who care who is at fault when you are laying dead on the side of the road :D
Witnesses will most likely say you were recklessly driving and had you been driving properly would still be alive. Please don't drive smart in the future... :devil:

It was just a joke dude, he obviously did signal.
Not sure your smiley really makes sense when you're talking about a dead body on the side of the road though...

You may not grasp the concept of a light hearted joke vs talking about dead bodies on the road.

Even for the internet that's a bit twisted to be 'smiling' about.

120Comm
11-01-2013, 10:10 AM
With regards to passing on the right, I've looked it up before, and it's legal if there are multiple lanes going in your direction (i.e. any expressway or 4-lane road in the province). At the same time, people are supposed to yield to the right if traffic behind them is moving faster than them. It doesn't mention anything about "if the traffic behind you is going the speed limit".. just that if someone's coming up on you from behind, you're supposed to get over to the right.

As for the "no changing lanes in an intersection" thing, I too have heard that since I learned to drive, and never found it in any of the laws in any of the provinces I've held licenses for. My belief is that people have mistakenly "made up" a law here, misinterpreting the law that you may not turn from one lane on one street to another lane on another street. Example, dual left turn lane - if you are in the "center curb" left turn lane, you have to turn into the "center curb" lane of the street you're turning on to. To turn into the other lane is illegal, and maybe that's why people think you can't "change lanes" in an intersection when going straight through.

Wrinkly
11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
80% of the time I have to pass in the right lane, because nobody in this damn province seems to know that the left lane is the faster moving traffic lane..

THIS!! ^^ Absolutely infuriates me, too!!

FishPoo
11-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I actually had this happen to me about 5 years ago, I was changing lanes to the right, shoulder checked and looked into my mirrors, was all clear. Halfway into my change a motorbike doing twice the speed limit suddenly roared up alongside me. I aborted, the biker then magically was able to slow down and finger me...Lol. Not really sure how I could have done anymore in that situation... IMO it is hard to see bikes to begin with, if they are not traveling with traffic it makes collisions like this a much higher likelihood.

So true, on a 3 or 4 lane road I end up in the far right lane to pass packs of motorists who found some reason beyond me are all doing 15 under the limit.

Happened to me too, in my case, I told the biker he was an idiot after he fingered me, then he decides to pull in front and brake check right after, so smart.

Nitron88
11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Kijho
RUP 932

Stupid bitch.

QFT.

Typical dirty cunt mentality. Mirror check and then shoulder check before changing lanes. Too many think they are signaling with their lights so they somehow have the right to just change lanes irregardless of whats there. Often it's those with cunts.

She didn't do too bad with recovery back into her lane but with a typical dirty cunt fowl mouth like that, expect the same twat experience or worse.

rx7boi
11-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Love the one-second lane change from the truck.

People in this city (and all over) seem to think that using signals automatically gives them a sense of entitlement to the lane they're trying to switch into.

Signalling is almost synonymous with asking for permission to move into a lane where you have no right of way.

That, and you'll want to at least do the courtesy of giving the other driver ample time to make room for you to move into his/her lane.

Sugarphreak
11-01-2013, 01:07 PM

16hypen3sp
11-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I seem to have opened a can of worms by posting that video.

It looks as tho the point of the video isn't about how injured/dead the biker would be if a collision occurred.

The point is her emotion gets the best of her and she reacts in anger. These things happen all the time. I've just never seen somebody that is very well in the wrong react with such anger.

I want to know what snowcat thinks of this.

01RedDX
11-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Seth1968
11-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Nitron88

QFT.

Typical dirty cunt mentality. Mirror check and then shoulder check before changing lanes. Too many think they are signaling with their lights so they somehow have the right to just change lanes irregardless of whats there. Often it's those with cunts.

She didn't do too bad with recovery back into her lane but with a typical dirty cunt fowl mouth like that, expect the same twat experience or worse.

You're probably not too popular with the ladies.

btimbit
11-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

She only called him a jackass. :nut: :dunno:

How dare she speak without being spoken too

cloud7
11-01-2013, 03:49 PM

The point is her emotion gets the best of her and she reacts in anger. These things happen all the time. I've just never seen somebody that is very well in the wrong react with such anger.

Agreed. Reacting like that doesn't make her a better driver. It won't surprise me if she gets into a crash later because of the emotions while behind the wheel. I did not react anywhere close to her reaction when someone ran a red light and I came within inches of hitting him this week (would have hit him if I hadn't stayed calm and taken evasive action).

whydontchathen
11-01-2013, 04:28 PM

this.

Why can't Alberta drivers follow the better safer more logical rules of the road that say passing on the right is a dumb move and should be illegal in Alberta, as it is elsewhere?

TSA should make it an infraction. Consistency with the rest of the continent is a good thing imo.

sr20s14zenki
11-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Nobody follows it because 80% of drivers are self riteous pricks.

Zhariak
11-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Fuck, my worst pet peeve is heading out to Okotoks...

I get in the very right lane once I get out of Calgary city limits, set the cruise to 120-125... And I just pass stupid amounts of cars... It's just an absolute fucking joke...

And to make it even more fucking retarded. I obey the construction signs heading out of Calgary, and I get passed by the fucking retards doing 100 in the 50 construction zone, only to pass them when they are doing 100 in the fast lane after the construction zone ends...

I just dont fucking get it...

CanmoreOrLess
11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Right or wrong is not the issue, a motorcycle is always getting the very worst of an accident. Who's to say the lady in the truck has not witnessed or knows someone who had a bad (is there a good one?) accident, or was in fact killed? She would be outspoken if this is the case. It appears the motorcycle was going too fast for road conditions/situation anyway. All the guys I know, after dumping their bike once or having kids gave up their motorcycle for good. I doubt you'll find many EMT guys riding a bike. It's your life, risk it as you wish. I like to keep bikes safely in front of me where they belong.

Hallowed_point
11-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Fuck, my worst pet peeve is heading out to Okotoks...

I get in the very right lane once I get out of Calgary city limits, set the cruise to 120-125... And I just pass stupid amounts of cars... It's just an absolute fucking joke...

And to make it even more fucking retarded. I obey the construction signs heading out of Calgary, and I get passed by the fucking retards doing 100 in the 50 construction zone, only to pass them when they are doing 100 in the fast lane after the construction zone ends...

I just dont fucking get it...

True story..I think that a lot of them can't be bothered to turn off cruise through a construction zone :nut:

Kloubek
11-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I want to know what snowcat thinks of this.

Do you really need to ask? He would swear up and down that the truck was 100% at fault.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of law, the left land is considered the fast lane and the right lane is considered the slow lane by 95-97% of people. The other 3-5% don't know or care about proper road etiquette.

And the drive of the bike is in the latter category.

But true enough, the woman seemed to get overly angry about the situation. I can't blame her for being miffed, but she needs to calm the fuck down.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
lol, its hard to not react to that. I love when people like that get angry, its best if you can ignore them and let them get angry with no reaction.

whydontchathen
11-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
.....its best if you can ignore them and let them get angry with no reaction.

If another driver takes issue with my driving and gives me the finger, shakes their fist at me, etc, etc, I just give them the biggest smile and the biggest wave that I can muster.

Where does it say that one must always drive at the speed limit? I choose to drive about 90 - 92 on Deerfoot, is that wrong??

xnvy
11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
^It's not wrong. Just don't do it in the left lane, or preferably, do it in the most right-hand lane.

whydontchathen
11-01-2013, 10:49 PM
oh yeah, no fear, I'm a firm believer in right-lane-is-the-slow-lane.

Mista Bob
11-02-2013, 12:51 AM
So to sum it up on beyond.....
300kph in a car A-O-K.
10 over on a motorcycle = the devil.

Cos
11-02-2013, 08:25 AM

codetrap
11-02-2013, 09:58 AM
All I see in this video is a rider that isn't being careful enough, and a lady truck driver that got a scare because she came pretty close to taking out a person on a bike that she didn't see.

The motorcycle rider is going at a noticeably higher rate of speed. Easily half again of what the traffic is doing. The driver of the truck probably did her mirror check/shoulder check, and from the angles wouldn't have been able to clearly see the bike. She initiated her lane change right after she crossed the intersection, and in that 3 second space the bike had passed the SUV and covered 3 vehicle lengths and was into the space where the truck was going.

The only thing that saved the rider was pure DUMB LUCK that the lady in the truck checked again, or we'd be reading about another motorcycle fatality because the rider had no escape path. This in my opinion is just stupid. Riding way faster than surrounding traffic with no viable escape path is dumb. In my opinion, the rider is COMPLETELY AT FAULT for this situation, and ultimately, the rider would be the one that would pay the price.

Fear is the other side of the coin from anger, and in this instance it's perfectly clear to me that she got a scare. I can easily put myself in her shoes as I've almost taken out someone on a bike that wasn't riding like I couldn't see them, and I didn't. It gave me a scare to realize that I could have killed that person, and that made me angry. If I thought it would have done any good, I would have stopped and explained to the rider exactly what he did wrong, and why it would have killed him.

This isn't a non-thinking road rage at all. It's a normal human being that actually gives a shit being mad at someone who gave her an unnecessary scare.

I showed this to my wife, and her only comment is the that the rider is an arrogant prick. lol

speedog
11-02-2013, 10:47 AM
While many expect that the left lane is for faster moving traffic, is there actually any law on the books in Alberta that actually mandates this?

speedog
11-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I actually had this happen to me about 5 years ago, I was changing lanes to the right, shoulder checked and looked into my mirrors, was all clear. Halfway into my change a motorbike doing twice the speed limit suddenly roared up alongside me. I aborted, the biker then magically was able to slow down and finger me...Lol. Not really sure how I could have done anymore in that situation... IMO it is hard to see bikes to begin with, if they are not traveling with traffic it makes collisions like this a much higher likelihood.
So very true - have experienced this myself and I did ride motorbikes for many years in the past. There's far, far too many motorbike riders who ride just too fast for the traffic environment they're in or ride in the wrong spot and when someone like me who's extensively ridden motorbikes in the past and knows to look for them and I still can't see them because of of the situation they've placed themselves in, then yeah it's kind of the motorcyclist's fault. Legally though, I'd probably be at fault for not seeing the motorcyclist that hit me but it was their poor riding choices that created the situation in the first place.

Cos
11-02-2013, 11:10 AM

sr20s14zenki
11-02-2013, 11:26 AM
The way i see it, it should be a courtesy thing. If you are in the left lane and you see somebody coming faster than you, move over, unless of course you are turning at the next intersection or something. It doesnt matter if they are speeding, its none of your business. On the hiway, i stick in the left lane with my cruise set at 130. If somebody is coming faster, i move, and then i move back when they are gone. Just be courteous....thats it. Let the police deal with the speeding if thats your issue. Too many self righteous pricks out there going "im doing the limit, so fuck you." Dammit man, just move.

120Comm
11-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by speedog

While many expect that the left lane is for faster moving traffic, is there actually any law on the books in Alberta that actually mandates this?

What you're looking for is the Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation, which is what the TSA enforces.

Driving at appropriate speed
2(1) A person shall not do any of the following:
(snip - essentially Part 1 states "drive according to conditions, traffic, and vehicle safety, regardless of maximum posted speed")
(b) subject to this Part and Part 2, where a highway that is
located outside an urban area has 2 or more traffic lanes
on the same side of the centre line for use by vehicles
travelling in the same direction, drive a vehicle in the
traffic lane nearest the centre line unless the vehicle is
being driven at or near the maximum speed permitted;

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1)(b), a person driving a vehicle
on a highway at a speed that is below the maximum speed limit that
is established or prescribed for that highway may drive the vehicle
in the traffic lane nearest to the centre line for the purpose of
overtaking and passing another vehicle.

Slow moving vehicles
3(1) If a person driving a vehicle is driving the vehicle on a
highway at a speed that is less than the normal speed of the traffic
on the highway at that time and place and under the conditions then
existing, that person shall drive the vehicle
(a) in the right traffic lane then available for traffic, or
(b) as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the
roadway,
except when either
(c) overtaking and passing another vehicle travelling in the
same direction, or
(d) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private
road or driveway.
(2) If a traffic control device directs slow moving traffic to use a
designated traffic lane, a person when driving a vehicle slowly
shall drive the vehicle only in that lane.

Note that section 3 only refers to the speed of traffic, not the posted speed/maximum/speed "limit". The gist is, if you've got faster traffic behind you, you should be over to the right, it doesn't matter what speed you're going.

BensonTT
11-02-2013, 11:39 AM
op looks like he was going pretty fast.. :thumbsdow

speedog
11-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Thx 120Comm.

btimbit
11-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Now if only it was enforced

Kijho
11-02-2013, 12:06 PM
She's still a fucking idiot :rofl:

It's funny because the rider wasn't even REALLY concerned, and probably would have never even made this video if it wasn't for her.. delayed, super exaggerated reaction screaming out the window at him hahaha.

Even funnier she comes to an abrupt halt, (Notice the entire weight of the truck shift forward as she slams to a stop) middle of the lane? Luckily it looks like no cars were behind her or they would have been way the fuck up the tailpipe of the truck.

:clap: :clap:

danno
11-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
All I see in this video is a rider that isn't being careful enough, and a lady truck driver that got a scare because she came pretty close to taking out a person on a bike that she didn't see.

The motorcycle rider is going at a noticeably higher rate of speed. Easily half again of what the traffic is doing. The driver of the truck probably did her mirror check/shoulder check, and from the angles wouldn't have been able to clearly see the bike. She initiated her lane change right after she crossed the intersection, and in that 3 second space the bike had passed the SUV and covered 3 vehicle lengths and was into the space where the truck was going.

The only thing that saved the rider was pure DUMB LUCK that the lady in the truck checked again, or we'd be reading about another motorcycle fatality because the rider had no escape path. This in my opinion is just stupid. Riding way faster than surrounding traffic with no viable escape path is dumb. In my opinion, the rider is COMPLETELY AT FAULT for this situation, and ultimately, the rider would be the one that would pay the price.

Fear is the other side of the coin from anger, and in this instance it's perfectly clear to me that she got a scare. I can easily put myself in her shoes as I've almost taken out someone on a bike that wasn't riding like I couldn't see them, and I didn't. It gave me a scare to realize that I could have killed that person, and that made me angry. If I thought it would have done any good, I would have stopped and explained to the rider exactly what he did wrong, and why it would have killed him.

This isn't a non-thinking road rage at all. It's a normal human being that actually gives a shit being mad at someone who gave her an unnecessary scare.

I showed this to my wife, and her only comment is the that the rider is an arrogant prick. lol

Exactly how I see it.

btimbit
11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
She's still a fucking idiot :rofl:

It's funny because the rider wasn't even REALLY concerned, and probably would have never even made this video if it wasn't for her.. delayed, super exaggerated reaction screaming out the window at him hahaha.

Even funnier she comes to an abrupt halt, (Notice the entire weight of the truck shift forward as she slams to a stop) middle of the lane? Luckily it looks like no cars were behind her or they would have been way the fuck up the tailpipe of the truck.

:clap: :clap:

Didn't handle her emotions the best, but I don't blame her for having them. I'd be upset too if I almost killed somebody because they're riding/driving like a jackass

Kijho
11-02-2013, 12:18 PM
All we can tell about his speed is that he passes one car at the start of the video. You can hear him on the decel as he passes through the intersection.

Anyone that rides can see he's in a VERY appropriate lane position, the woman in the truck would be able to 100% visibly see him from the point at which he is behind the car he passes at the start of the video, all the way up though the intersection where he then loses position a bit and swerves away from her.

I think the biggest concern is how she stopped in the middle of a flowing traffic lane to yell out the window. I cringed as I watched expecting another car behind to just plow right the fuck through her.

snowcat
11-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by A790
The biker should have exercised more sense when choosing a time to pass.
With that logic, you'd never pass anyone, ever. Oh, always a better time down the road!!!!!

You meant to say: The truck should have exercised more sense when choosing a time to change lanes.

Originally posted by Kloubek

Do you really need to ask? He would swear up and down that the truck was 100% at fault.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of law, the left land is considered the fast lane and the right lane is considered the slow lane by 95-97% of people. The other 3-5% don't know or care about proper road etiquette.

And the drive of the bike is in the latter category.

But true enough, the woman seemed to get overly angry about the situation. I can't blame her for being miffed, but she needs to calm the fuck down.

You're 100% right. The truck is 100% at fault, and the courts would agree if an accident had happened because of this brazen lack of respect for fellow motorists.

What people "consider" does not make it fact or law.

The truck should have properly looked BEFORE the lane change instead of DURING the lane change.

The rider had lane control.

This thread is scary with the amount of people placing blame on the rider. There is no evidence of speeding, he was riding in the strong and correct lane position, fast reactions and avoided an incoming vehicle. I applaud the rider for doing everything PROPERLY.

Originally posted by Codetrap

All I see in this video is a rider that isn't being careful enough

How careful should he be? Always make sure every vehicle on the road is in front of him? Never pass a vehicle? Walk? Stay at home? Stay in bed? When does it end?

Are we watching the same video? You sound like a news article. "AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED". He was going MAYBE 10 kph faster than the surrounding traffic. It is also a wide angel lens, which makes things appear not as actually are. (Personal pet peeve of wide angles)

In my opinion, the rider is COMPLETELY AT FAULT for this situation.

I know you're a rider, and I'm very surprised at this. If the lady looked, if the truck didn't change lanes into the bike, there would be no incident. That responsibility falls on HER. If the bike had came up from the inside lane at 100kph over the rate of the other vehicles, it's different.

Totally. The guy is a complete prick riding his bike perfectly.

Not the BRAZEN idiotic move that could have ENDED the LIFE of an INNOCENT rider. (I'm trying to be like a newspaper, adds effect don't you think? HIGH RATE OF SPEED!!!!!111)

Do you know why driving videos gain so much response? Everyone drives, and everyone can relate.
What most people cannot do is look at the road laws and apply them logically, which sparks debate, arguments and so on.
Drive smart.

m10-power
11-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Beyond is full of :rofl:

She didn't even come out of her lane...wasn't in an intersection as the dashed line is clearly visible. Bike wasn't speeding, didn't do anything wrong, was obviously paying attention.

Simply looks like a women with issues.

:cry:

revelations
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
That woman was likely pissed off BEFORE she even encountered the bike. Most people dont react that way for a simple lane change fuckup.

Biker was not doing anything wrong IMO. SnowCat correctly mentioned that the wide angle makes it seem like hes moving faster than he is. He was maintaining lane dominance in that position.

xnvy
11-02-2013, 03:06 PM
^:werd: She just needed some ice cream and a hug

Kijho
11-02-2013, 04:33 PM
/thread. :werd: :clap:

Tik-Tok
11-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Maybe some Dickens Cider.

Frank ZZR
11-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Not surprising. I'm on the road for 10hrs a day and have had this happen to me in varying circumstances more times than I can count. Always a woman, who thinks that she was right but had no idea on what she was doing. I think the Saudis are on to something.......

Modelexis
11-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Frank ZZR
Not surprising. I'm on the road for 10hrs a day and have had this happen to me in varying circumstances more times than I can count. Always a woman, who thinks that she was right but had no idea on what she was doing. I think the Saudis are on to something.......

You drive 10hrs a day and you claim to have never had any variation of circumstances related to the video posted above occur with a male driver, only female.

:bullshit:

codetrap
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Scat, I Think the rider is at fault for setting up this situation in the first place because the rider is going at a significantly faster speed than traffic. If the bike had been going the same speed as traffic, this would never have taken place. It's pretty obvious the bike is moving at more than 10kph faster than the vehicles around it, regardless of lense effects. You're right though, I do ride, and I have a pretty good idea of speed differentials, so don't try to BS me with 10kph. :)

The rider is lucky the truck saw him before he got run over. If the rider had been going slower, he wouldn't have entered the trucks vector and the lane change would have been successful.

I don't condone the woman's reaction, but I do understand it. She's not some dirty cunt, or douche chick. Those types of people don't care enough to actually stop and yell a warning like "you're going to kill yourself". They'll just run you down instead. Her response was more characteristic of someone who actually gives a crap and is upset because she was almost in a collision where she would have killed someone

rx7boi
11-03-2013, 12:30 AM

I agree in principle fully, however in practice what I find is if you signal to go into a lane for more than a few seconds the car in that lane speeds up to squeeze you out.

It isn't too bad in casual driving in the suburbs or something, but giving a long signal in rush hour or heavy traffic is the equivalent of helpless pleading... maybe somebody will take mercy on you and let you in, otherwise it is taken as a sign of weakness or inexperience. People will intentionally block you from entering the lane with enough notice. A quick signal is the way to go.

I agree with you, as I don't advocate long signals either.

There's the 1-second signal, a proper signal, and then the needlessly long signal.

The fact that people take any of the above as a sign of weakness is an inherent incompetence/arrogance when it comes to driving. We all share the road, but that doesn't mean that we should contribute to the problem at the expense of others. I try to let people in if they do me the courtesy of letting me know they want to get into my lane. Sometimes they take too long even though I've eased off the pedal and given them time and space to move in, so I just say fuck it. Then there's the other jackasses who like to butt in at my expense; these are the same people who don't drive with respect.

That said, if people also drove smarter and think ahead, it isn't often that you have to force yourself into a lane that doesn't belong to you.

People can say what they want about dog-eat-dog/hyena driving, but at the end of the day, people prefer conscientious drivers like myself, but many don't have the integrity to do the same for OTHERS. Does that make me better than them? IMO it does.

Can someone embed this for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSRPMFDTSs

It's Louis CK's funny skit about driving. I can't get beyond's embedding function right to save my life :rofl:

wishicouldwrench
11-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
You're 100% right. The truck is 100% at fault, and the courts would agree if an accident had happened because of this brazen lack of respect for fellow motorists.

When did you get a JD? I'm assuming this judgment was made based on your wealth of experience litigating traffic cases.

Wrinkly
11-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
You meant to say: The truck should have exercised more sense when choosing a to change lanes.

You're 100% right. The truck is 100% at fault, and the courts would agree if an accident had happened because of this brazen lack of respect for fellow motorists

What people &quot;consider&quot; does not make it fact or law.

This thread is scary with the amount of people placing blame on the rider. There is no evidence of speeding, he was riding in the strong and correct lane position, fast reactions and avoided an incoming vehicle. I applaud the rider for doing everything PROPERLY.

How careful should he be? Always make sure every vehicle on the road is in front of him? Never pass a vehicle? Walk? Stay at home? Stay in bed? When does it end?.

Agreed! Common sense

Originally posted by m10-power
Simply looks like a women with issues

:cry:

Sexist bullshit (but possibly accurate lol) But you need to learn to spell lol (it's womAn - singular)

Originally posted by revelations
That woman was likely pissed off BEFORE she even encountered the bike. Most people dont react that way for a simple lane change fuckup.

Biker was not doing anything wrong IMO. SnowCat correctly mentioned that the wide angle makes it seem like hes moving faster than he is. He was maintaining lane dominance in that position.
More sexist bullshit (but potentially accurate - and equally possible from a male of the species)

More sexist bullshit, (but again potentially accurate - I get that)

/thread. :werd: :clap:
No - it's interesting

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Maybe some Dickens Cider.
Slap for you

Originally posted by Frank ZZR
Yeah, men are perfect! NOT!

You drive 10hrs a day and you claim to have never had any variation of circumstances related to the video posted above occur with a male driver, only female.

:bullshit:
Thank you! :)

Originally posted by codetrap
Scat, I Think the rider is at fault for setting up this situation in the first place because the rider is going at a significantly faster speed than traffic. If the bike had been going the same speed as traffic, this would never have taken place. It's pretty obvious the bike is moving at more than 10kph faster than the vehicles around it, regardless of lense effects. You're right though, I do ride, and I have a pretty good idea of speed differentials, so don't try to BS me with 10kph. :)

The rider is lucky the truck saw him before he got run over. If the rider had been going slower, he wouldn't have entered the trucks vector and the lane change would have been successful.

I don't condone the woman's reaction, but I do understand it. She's not some dirty cunt, or douche chick. Those types of people don't care enough to actually stop and yell a warning like &quot;you're going to kill yourself&quot;. They'll just run you down instead. Her response was more characteristic of someone who actually gives a crap and is upset because she was almost in a collision where she would have killed someone
Speed of the bike is irrelevant! Number one rule of driving is to expect the unexpected!

Frank ZZR
11-03-2013, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Modelexis
[B]

Not saying that men are always perfect. In my experiences, in these types of situations where the other person had at least as much fault if not more, then started to rant or honk or whatever, it has been a female. Hell, even my GF agrees with me, she's been there!

An example for you last week. I passed a car in a playground zone. When we arrived at the next stop sign that car pulls up beside me and starts to honk. I roll down my window to find a female driver in a mini van with a teenager beside her wanting to say something. She says, " You are speeding and passed me in a playground" I looked at her, politely pointed out that it was 8:17 am and rolled my eyes.:rolleyes:

Cos
11-03-2013, 08:23 AM

blairtruck
11-03-2013, 09:27 AM
i didnt read this whole thread. but what i get is that people think if the left lane is slow or turning you have to do the same speed in the right lane or slower?

bike was fine dumb broad screwed up.

Redlyne_mr2
11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
We could argue back and forth about who's in the right and who's in the wrong. That lady needs a reality check, if you get that upset about something so trivial in life you have problems. Can you imagine being married to that monster?

Nitron88
11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
We could argue back and forth about who's in the right and who's in the wrong. That lady needs a reality check, if you get that upset about something so trivial in life you have problems. Can you imagine being married to that monster?

Or calling that monster your mom! :banghead:

CPS please! Don't need anymore minions like her in this society going around calling people jackasses cause they got in her way.

What if somebody cut in front of her at Burger King? :guns:

:drama: :whocares:

clem24
11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Typical driver response... People just won't take accountability of their own actions. For some reason, when it involves a car, everyone is the same, whether it's car vs. car, or car vs. pedestrian.

One time, I JUST turned into a back lane in downtown. It was pissing rain, having JUST turned in, in my minivan no less, I was probably doing 15. Right behind a parked car, this guy talking on this cell phone just walks out in front. I slammed on my brakes and narrowly missed him. At this point, he finally realizes he was almost hit, and THROWS his phone in the air. Tried to catch it, but only swats it further and out of sight. I seriously laughed my head off but I still rolled down my window to tell him to pay more attention. His response? "No, well.. Uhhh no YOU need to slow down!!!!". I was completely miffed but seeing his cellphone go flying was priceless.

Or another time this one dude in his new 4Runner because I pulled out behind him, totally beat him out and but he had the same idea and tried to pull out when I was already beside him. He was furious, tailgated me into my parkade, stared me down, and wouldn't let me back into my spot until I forced the issue.

I'll say it again: take responsibility for your own actions. Stop thinking everything is everyone elses' fault or responsibility.

colinxx235
11-04-2013, 03:14 PM

It was just a joke dude, he obviously did signal.
Not sure your smiley really makes sense when you're talking about a dead body on the side of the road though...

You may not grasp the concept of a light hearted joke vs talking about dead bodies on the road.

Even for the internet that's a bit twisted to be 'smiling' about.

It can make sense... if directed at the right person ;) :devil:

Is it less twisted if done with an evil grin versus smiling? Sounds perfectly normal to me ;) :D