PDA

View Full Version : Involved In Car Accident - Need Advice - Other Party Changing Story

masarwar
11-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

I dont normally post here at beyond, I am more of a lurker / stalker here for car news, information and guidelines. This is an excellent place by the way.

So here it goes, I was involved in a car accidnt on Tuesday morning on Mcknight Boulevard going toward 52nd ST NE. I got off 68st NE and got onto McKnight and merged onto the lane towards the median. I see this nissan sentra speeding towards me and the car was going off towards the median (as if the driver is texting or something). Next thing you know the car hits me. We stop and get out. This guy in his coat and PJs comes out and tells me that we shouldnt call the police and just deal with this at his home. I still call the cops and had to call them down (as the guy didnt had Driver license on him or the car registration). The police comes over, take our statement, issue us the damage report and off we go.

Now here is the thing. I after waiting for 4 days I get hold off the insusrance. My car is on 3rd party only so my company told me to contact the other guy's insurance as they wont help me. I got to the adjuster today and she said that as per the other party I did an illegal lange change (without signalling or some shit) and because of this he rammed into my car so due to this the fault will be mine?!?!?! so they are apparently waiting on police report to come over (which as per them takes over 6-8 weeks).

Am i screwed here? can anyone give me advice on how to deal with this?

FYI - My car has a damaged rear bumper and the trunk is out of allignment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

speedog
11-01-2013, 02:19 PM
If this was a was a head-on accident, how in the hell did your rear bumper and trunk get damaged?

masarwar
11-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by speedog
If this was a was a head-on accident, how in the hell did your rear bumper and trunk get damaged?

Sorry - I corrected my paragraph after.

Masked Bandit
11-01-2013, 02:28 PM
So if I'm reading this correctly, you were Westbound on McKnight in the right hand lane, changed lanes to the left lane and then you were rear-ended by the other driver. Is that right?

And now the other driver is basically saying you changed lanes in front of him, cut him off and that's why he hit you?

Call your insurance company back and explain that TP (the other guys) is denying liability.

masarwar
11-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
So if I'm reading this correctly, you were Westbound on McKnight in the right hand lane, changed lanes to the left lane and then you were rear-ended by the other driver. Is that right?

And now the other driver is basically saying you changed lanes in front of him, cut him off and that's why he hit you?

Call your insurance company back and explain that TP (the other guys) is denying liability.

Hi,

You are absolutely correct. I did change lanes from left lane to right and the driver hit my car few moments after. I will call my insurance company right away.

Thank you!

M.alex
11-02-2013, 02:37 AM
What does it matter even if you did an "illegal lane change"? In that case he's still at fault since he didn't leave enough room to compensate for your "illegal lane change"

ercchry
11-02-2013, 03:46 AM
You can go down to the station and get the full police report, there is a second page that you wouldnt have got at the scene. This will go into detail, if anyone was charged with anything. If you got a ticket for illegal lane change... or if he got one for following too close or whatever... if he was charged open and shut case... if not tell them the damage report clearly shows you were rear-ended after you were fully established in your lane. even with just liability coverage you will still get an agent that will end up fighting for you once the other person's insurance company tries to send them a bill for the damage to their client's car.

Waldi
11-04-2013, 11:31 AM
In Alberta when incident involves rearend collision, it is considered fault of second vehicle driver ( the one that has front smashed) and susually driver of that vehicle recives citation of dangerous driving which may be reduced to following to closely. So in your case, you should not bear responsibility and by simply addressing police report you may find that in it (other driver charge).

revelations
11-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
In Alberta when incident involves rearend collision, it is considered fault of second vehicle driver ( the one that has front smashed) and susually driver of that vehicle recives citation of dangerous driving which may be reduced to following to closely. So in your case, you should not bear responsibility and by simply addressing police report you may find that in it (other driver charge).

This has been covered extensively on Beyond. Its NOT ALWAYS 100% the fault of the rear ender. The offending driver can argue his position that the victim changed lanes in front of him.

Given the location and the description of the accident (multi lanes, OP immediately merged into far left lane) this will end up being 50/50 .... just my guess... esp without any witnesses. It will be OPs word against the offendor.

Cos
11-04-2013, 04:34 PM

DEATH2000
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by revelations

This has been covered extensively on Beyond. Its NOT ALWAYS 100% the fault of the rear ender. The offending driver can argue his position that the victim changed lanes in front of him.

Given the location and the description of the accident (multi lanes, OP immediately merged into far left lane) this will end up being 50/50 .... just my guess... esp without any witnesses. It will be OPs word against the offendor.

This is why.... Dash Cam.

I have nothing to add to this thread other then that...

got_mike33
11-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

This is why.... Dash Cam.

Except he got hit from behind. I know know what kind of dashcam is going to catch what's going on behind you...

Cos
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM

blairtruck
11-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33

Except he got hit from behind. I know know what kind of dashcam is going to catch what's going on behind you...
plenty of dash cams have rear cameras. here is mine got it for 70$ front HD rear SD

front
-vW07Vqdo3M

rear
cXLmx00I7OM

Canucks3322
11-04-2013, 08:10 PM
^ where did you get this dashcam?? I need to look into these dammit if they're getting that cheap!!

revelations
11-04-2013, 08:38 PM
You can also get JUST a rear facing model for about 30$. SD only though, not many people want HD rear view - yet.

blairtruck
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by revelations
You can also get JUST a rear facing model for about 30$. SD only though, not many people want HD rear view - yet.
Rear HD is available.

i will be getting this one when the price comes down from $400

http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Blackvue-DR550GW-2CH.jpg

blairtruck
11-04-2013, 09:22 PM
this is the one i have with videos posted above.

http://dashcamtalk.com/i1000-f70/

revelations
11-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Im just going to setup a SD second cam in the back window. Should catch some epic lulz ... cant grab plates that way anyways in AB.

osspasha
11-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
this is the one i have with videos posted above.

http://dashcamtalk.com/i1000-f70/

i have few questions, since am shopping for one

Does have over heating problem?
Does it record while car is parked?
Would u recommend it or should i go with another type?

Thanks