PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good driver?

lammer
09-22-2002, 11:15 PM
I've seen your guys' post about times and bsed on drivers.
My question is..what makes them agood driver? and how would you get to be a good driver?

like voodoo and ls/vtec, they are running 14.6's with type r's
what would be a bad drivers time?

is it because of quick shifts and stuff?
well first i acually gotta own my own car, then learn how to drive a stick, then maybe ill see if im a 'good' driver, if you guys got any input on how to get quick times and such because of driving please tell me.

Stratus_Power
09-22-2002, 11:23 PM
is based ont he type of car u driving of cuz.. a 16 sec type R.. bad driver.. a 16 sec civc.. good driver( if possible..)

Ferrari
09-23-2002, 06:42 PM
yeah, i agree, it does depend on the car

Audi Kid
09-23-2002, 06:45 PM
dude...SIR's can do low 16's high 15's cant they?

ninspeed
09-23-2002, 06:45 PM
driving plays a hugh part.. Look at Archie and Gavin... gavin runs some sweet times in his brothers car.

Ben
09-23-2002, 06:52 PM
There is more to a good driver than just QM times...

If you can pull off a time in a stock car that is the same as that quoted by the manufacturer, then that makes you an OK driver I guess...

Being a good driver is all about managing the car, and feeling it in every aspect, anticipating what it is going to do next and handling anything that might come into the driving equation...

I suppose if you can powershift your car and have awesome launches and reaction times makes you a respectable QM driver, but in your question as a whole, a good "All Around", you gotta be able to do more with your car than make it fast in a straight line. Unless you are a professional Drag Racer, then the above I guess needn't apply, but would help.

Audi Kid
09-23-2002, 06:57 PM
ya u gotta be able to take a shikane at 140 hahahha

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2002, 07:13 PM
a good driver knows the limits of his or her car and never crosses those limits

2000impreza
09-23-2002, 08:39 PM
imo a good driver is not just someone that can drive down the quarter mile... corners has a lot to do with driver ability too.

redline_13000
09-23-2002, 08:58 PM
a good driver can do some mad drifting:D

Weapon_R
09-23-2002, 08:59 PM
You're never going to get an answer to a question as broad as this.

shadowz
09-23-2002, 09:51 PM
You gotta not granny shift and you gotta double clutch like you should, dont forget be careful dont blow the welds on your intake, or me and the mad scientist will have to rip apart the block and change the pistons your fried:D

James
09-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Exactly.....but then again a good driver can still sometimes cross those limits, the best drivers in the world still do it occasionally.

nismodrifter
09-24-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
You gotta not granny shift and you gotta double clutch like you should, dont forget be careful dont blow the welds on your intake, or me and the mad scientist will have to rip apart the block and change the pistons your fried:D

if you want to be a good driver then just follow the above advice :rofl:

buh_buh
09-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I don't agree with that. If you are truly a "good driver" you will never really have limits cuz your always striving to improve. If you never cross your limits, how are you ever going to learn more about your car and become better? I think a good driver will always try to push past their limit to see how far they can go.

VWhooligan
09-24-2002, 12:40 AM
you gotta cross the limits to know where they are.

James
09-24-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by VWhooligan
you gotta cross the limits to know where they are.

You can be right on the Limits without crossing them, and still know where they are, .....if that even makes sense.:p

shadowz
09-24-2002, 02:13 AM
On a serious note though, to be a good driver, you need to know your car, its limits as it is and yours, then you can progress with the car making your an excellent driver, with this you can move onto other cars that will project you to who knows what

max_boost
09-24-2002, 02:55 AM
You need Madd skillzz!!!:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

I don't agree with that. If you are truly a "good driver" you will never really have limits cuz your always striving to improve. If you never cross your limits, how are you ever going to learn more about your car and become better? I think a good driver will always try to push past their limit to see how far they can go. a car can be made to do some incredible things but can only so so much...."over driving" a car is what causes crashes

GT2NV
09-24-2002, 08:49 AM
launch / shifting / handling / ect.....

ls/vtec-crx
09-24-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
You need Madd skillzz!!!:thumbsup:

I'll show you some MAD SKILLZZ!!! HEHEHE.

5.9 R/T
09-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

Dood he fried the rings! The Rings! Sheesh get it right or you'll never join the elite F&F wannabe club! :rofl:

Ben
09-24-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Dood he fried the rings! The Rings! Sheesh get it right or you'll never join the elite F&F wannabe club! :rofl:

Thanks Dom!

GTS Jeff
09-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by VWhooligan
you gotta cross the limits to know where they are. if u do that on the road, theres a good chance u will bite it hard. but i do agree.

yea, i think being a good driver means being able to make a car do what u want it to do. for the newbies, the best advice that i can come up with is that the prerequisite for being a pimpshit mack daddy godlike driver....is first u have to be a SAFE driver...

u cant do shit til u learn to drive safely and efficiently..

girlRACER
09-24-2002, 07:19 PM
I'm not trying to kiss ass or anything...but definition of a good driver= Rage2!! He'll tell you all about it! :D

Audi Kid
09-24-2002, 07:25 PM
he is one amazing driver haha

Ben
09-24-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I'm not trying to kiss ass or anything...but definition of a good driver= Rage2!! He'll tell you all about it! :D

I know there are better drivers than Rage but for sure he is very very talented. The times I have driven with him have been awesome, definatly at a level far above myself. Definatly I would rank rage as a very good driver, well above average. But even he is modest and tells us of better drivers than him, such as Rob for example...

ninspeed
09-24-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Benny

I know there are better drivers than Rage but for sure he is very very talented. The times I have driven with him have been awesome, definatly at a level far above myself. Definatly I would rank rage as a very good driver, well above average. But even he is modest and tells us of better drivers than him, such as Rob for example...
YA.. he said my name!!!!... opps i think wrong rob... i think that rob might drive a BMW..

LaughingTiger
09-24-2002, 08:14 PM
If you want to see some good driver's go checkout ekliptix's
posted video clip of the Saab driver's...

Those are good driver's.......

I don't think anyone on here is at that level yet...

CRXguy
09-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Please refer to sig!:rofl:

sexualbanana
09-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by LaughingTiger
If you want to see some good driver's go checkout ekliptix's
posted video clip of the Saab driver's...

Those are good driver's.......

I don't think anyone on here is at that level yet...

hello. . . . . . :thumbsup:

lammer
09-24-2002, 11:49 PM
hrmmm, me for one i have never drove a stick/manual in my life.
but i have a question, is there a "better" way to shift?
i've heard people say "Oh damn, i missed a gear" what does that mean?
like i think i know a bit about shifting. You relase gas, step clutch, change gears, let go of clutch and gas again, sounds easy, but i don't think it is. like i've never drove a stick in my life! and when i get my car, i'll be sh*ttin' my pants trying to learn how to drive. I don't wanna embaress my self by stalling and giving my self a whiplash and stuff..i dunno..:confused: seems kinda scary hehe.

Ben
09-25-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by lammer
hrmmm, me for one i have never drove a stick/manual in my life.
but i have a question, is there a "better" way to shift?
i've heard people say "Oh damn, i missed a gear" what does that mean?
like i think i know a bit about shifting. You relase gas, step clutch, change gears, let go of clutch and gas again, sounds easy, but i don't think it is. like i've never drove a stick in my life! and when i get my car, i'll be sh*ttin' my pants trying to learn how to drive. I don't wanna embaress my self by stalling and giving my self a whiplash and stuff..i dunno..:confused: seems kinda scary hehe.

missing a gear means you started putting your foot down on the gas, but you never got it in the right gear yet (still in neutral).

I for example was at Race City and I went to shift from 1st to second, but i didn't shift properly and I hit the gate (the slots that the shift lever guides into) and not the actual gear, so by the time I had realized that, I had already floored my car, and I bounced her off redline (poor thing). Most people miss a gear when racing because you have to shift so fast to prevent a loss in speed between shifts. You put your foot down in anticipation that the car will be in the correct gear, but sometimes you fark it up and miss the gear and that can sometimes spell disaster.

Where do you live, I am more than happy to teach you how to drive a standard if you want. Stalling is a fact of life, EVERYONE has done it, and does it on occasion (although some dont like to admit it:rolleyes: )

We all started somewhere, try to understand that, and forget about what other people think.

GTS Jeff
09-25-2002, 12:35 AM
make sure u use bennys car when hes teaching u and make sure u grind it lots

4wheeldrift
09-25-2002, 06:50 AM
No, I miss gears because I have ricecake in the car with me :) That guy is bad luck for some reason :D

lammer
09-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Benny

snip

Where do you live, I am more than happy to teach you how to drive a standard if you want. Stalling is a fact of life, EVERYONE has done it, and does it on occasion (although some dont like to admit it:rolleyes: )

well i'd love to learn but i would rather take my own car, but i don't have one. I don't like the idea of using someone elses car and wrecking it up hardcore because i don' tknow how to drive a stick. hehe.

LaughingTiger
09-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by lammer

and when i get my car, i'll be sh*ttin' my pants trying to learn how to drive. I don't wanna embaress my self by stalling and giving my self a whiplash and stuff..i dunno..:confused: seems kinda scary hehe.

How do you think we all learned? you have to start somewhere,
of course it's difficult to learn how to drive stick, but think about
when you tried to ride your first bike, same shit... Don't worry
the best way people learn is trial & error.. you'll do fine..

Michael schumacher had to start somewhere.. and now he gets
paid 80millionUS per year to drive a ferrari.... :drool: my dream job

lammer
09-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by LaughingTiger

How do you think we all learned? you have to start somewhere,
of course it's difficult to learn how to drive stick, but think about
when you tried to ride your first bike, same shit... Don't worry
the best way people learn is trial & error.. you'll do fine..

Michael schumacher had to start somewhere.. and now he gets
paid 80millionUS per year to drive a ferrari.... :drool: my dream job

hehe, when i learned how to ride a bike i had training wheels!!:bigpimp: but yeah i learned slowly, by taking one wheel off at a time.

Tuner1
09-25-2002, 09:40 PM
The place to be is the next Beyond track day. That is where you'll see some good drivers, and learn from them if you want. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, learns a little something everytime they turn the key and pull out of the driveway.
When I was 14 I thought I was the best driver in the world. Now that I am almost twice that age I realise how poor of a driver I was back then, and look forward to how good I'll be by the time I hit 40!

Driving is like sex. Everyone thinks they are great at it....but the truth is often very different :D

Rob

GTS Jeff
09-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32
The place to be is the next Beyond track day. That is where you'll see some good drivers, and learn from them if you want. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, learns a little something everytime they turn the key and pull out of the driveway.
When I was 14 I thought I was the best driver in the world. Now that I am almost twice that age I realise how poor of a driver I was back then, and look forward to how good I'll be by the time I hit 40!

Driving is like sex. Everyone thinks they are great at it....but the truth is often very different :D

Rob in conclusion, go trash bennys car

lammer
09-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
in conclusion, go trash bennys car

that my friend, could be the highlight of the night!:bigpimp: jk benny!