PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Vacuum

gx12
11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
i am currently using a pretty good Dirt Devil Vacuum, but wife wanted to get a Dyson because it's 100X better she said.:nut:

which one is better? mainly for carpet(no pets).
Dyson DC23MH powerhead Canister Vacuum
OR
Dyson DC37TH Canister Vacuum?

i read a few reviews etc. still not sure which one to get.

so, if you own one of those, is it really that much better?! which one you would buy if you're in the market for one?
please share.

Tej.S
11-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Also interested in other's opinions on this. Is Dyson worth it?

bignerd
11-03-2013, 07:12 PM
We have Dyson upright animal model. Yes they work well and will get more dust out of the carpet then your old vacuum.

I hate using it simply because of the weight and how much of a pain in the ass it is for me to haul it up and down stairs-the model we have is very very heavy.

stealth
11-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Dyson is awesome. Get it. I have the one you drag behind, I like it.

JustinMCS
11-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by stealth
Dyson is awesome. Get it. I have the one you drag behind, I like it.

+1

I have the DC32 in red. Love it. Not sure how to answer the OP's question as I don't have that model.

01RedDX
11-03-2013, 07:49 PM

DeleriousZ
11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I've got an older dyson and it still is fucking amazing. Definitely worth it to drop cash on it IMO.

JustinMCS
11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I feel like when I vacuum my carpet, I get another dog.

black13
11-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I bought a dyson a couple months ago and the bottom spinner stopped working after 3 months of light use. Had to take it in for repair which was free but now worried if it last once warranty is up.

After talking to a vac repair guy he told me they aren't the best bang for buck. They just market it better than others.

JustinMCS
11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by black13

After talking to a vac repair guy he told me they aren't the best bang for buck.

I wouldn't take the advice of one guy. Parts break down in everything.

schurchill39
11-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by black13
I bought a dyson a couple months ago and the bottom spinner stopped working after 3 months of light use. Had to take it in for repair which was free but now worried if it last once warranty is up.

After talking to a vac repair guy he told me they aren't the best bang for buck. They just market it better than others.

I totally disagree. Although ridiculously expensive its probably the best vacuum I've ever owned. Like Justin MCS said things break on everything. You can't expect anything made of spinning plastic bits to last forever. What Dyson has going for it to protect it better than nearly any other vacuum (with the exception of some other high end models) is their 5 year warranty. If it breaks down after 5 years of constant use I think you got your money's worth.

I can't comment on the models either but I would look at the tools it comes with. The attachments are ridiculously expensive to buy on their own, so I would recommend going with what ever one has the attachments you think you might one day use.

That.Guy.S30
11-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I have an animal model. Friggen sweet. Way better than the past vacuum's I've owned

xrayvsn
11-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Their customer service is great. I had a rip develop on the hose of our canister DC 23 well past the warranty period. I called to buy a new hose, and they just sent me a new one for free, no questions asked.

We have been very happy with the Dyson, and we beat ours down pretty hard. It has held up and still works as well as it did the day we bought it.

r3ccOs
11-03-2013, 10:42 PM
I have a vintage DC07 that we bought in 05... replaced the filter, otherwise the unit is still completely functional and still does a hell of a job.

talking with a central vac installer, he was adament that the Dyson's, especially the latest models (non-canister) will do a better job than anything he sells. In fact he was saying that the problem with the dyson uprights, is that the brush mechanism and the ridiculous suction, can prematurely ruin your carpet.

lint
11-03-2013, 10:45 PM
I have the DC14 from costco. It's almost 10 yrs old now, and I'm still waiting for it to die to I can buy a new one.

found this comparison, the dc39 and dc37 should be the same
N_87qQqDYgA

Wrinkly
11-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Dyson is the dogs bollox! Get one

dimi
11-03-2013, 11:55 PM
I cant bring myself to pay that much for a vacuum. I could see it if you had kids/animals and I'm sure they're awesome but still, $700+ is ridiculous.

AzNxHyDrA
11-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Some Vacuum Repair Tech recently did a Q&A session on Reddit and he wasn't very fond of Dyson's either.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd/iama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_i_cant_believe/

"I spend a great deal of my time repairing Dyson as a Warranty Repair Station. As a tech, my problem with Dysons are the weak, crappy parts, and troublesome design flaws. I do not like bagless machines, as they are dirtier, require more regular maintenance, and do not pick up as well as bagged vacs.
I use brand new Dysons in a demo to show how much they leave behind as compared to other brands.
It is my opinion that the better Hoover and Eureka machines work as well or better than Dyson's best. But for the price of a DC50 with the full Animal package, you could get much more vacuum."

"One of my problems with Dyson is the amount of crap they leave behind in the carpet. For that kind of money, your carpets should be getting clean."

"The demo I use is similar to the Kirby demo you mentioned. Here's the difference: The Kirby and your Dyson, pull roughly 30 or so inches of suction at the floor. The Riccar that I use in the demo I mentioned, pulls over 70inches of suction at the floor. It doesn't leave much behind at all. One other difference is I use a rubber-backed carpet, so that nothing is coming up but what is in that rug."

stealth
11-04-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't know. I had a standard sears vacuum and vacuumed a room before I tried my dyson.

Went over the carpet which "looked clean" with the dyson and it sucked up shit that would disgust anyone, and that is on 6 month old carpet...

I love my Dyson. Vacuuming is fun now...

A790
11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I had a DC23AN and sold it a few months ago. It's a decent vacuum but it's not quite as good as its price tag would suggest.

We use Electrolux vacuums at NF because we find them to be more reliable and offer better performance. Plus, if you have carpeted stairs, you can get the powered stair attachment that does a way better job on stairs than anything else I've seen.

So a Dyson isn't bad, but I wouldn't buy another one again.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2013, 08:44 AM
I can attest to how good that attachment is. NF does an awesome job on my stairs.

On a somewhat related note, I always find the rotating brush on my Kenmore power-head gets wrapped with hair. Any designs out there that can deal with that? Takes a pretty big effort to un-wrap that stuff, and that's no fun. If I ever go back to cleaning my own house, It'll be a top priority to get a different vacuum if that problem can be overcome.

A790
11-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I can attest to how good that attachment is. NF does an awesome job on my stairs.

On a somewhat related note, I always find the rotating brush on my Kenmore power-head gets wrapped with hair. Any designs out there that can deal with that? Takes a pretty big effort to un-wrap that stuff, and that's no fun. If I ever go back to cleaning my own house, It'll be a top priority to get a different vacuum if that problem can be overcome.
That's one thing about the Dyson I really liked: it is super easy to take apart to clean/maintain. The power head comes apart and the beater bar comes right out, making unraveling the hair a fairly simple task.

DeleriousZ
11-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Why not just run a blade over the hair, cutting it all off the beater bar?

blairtruck
11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Dyson rocks, the first time I used my DC32 I couldn't believe my eyes. What looks like a clean area yields a ton of debris, no other vacuum can compare.

Worth every penny.
i got the dc32 also and love it

chiuman7
11-04-2013, 11:29 AM
got the canister style for the entire house and the DC35 for the random pickups and more frequent vacuums..... love both

try calling dyson directly and ask for refurbish units to see if any are available ..... way cheaper they're like new

sillysod
11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
take it with a grain of salt, but interesting none the less. Personally I don't know why people don't just get a proper vacuflo system installed. 10x better than any little all in one unit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd/iama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_i_cant_believe/

Firstly, we have a saying; There are no bad vacuums (except Shark). You should match a vacuum to your particular needs.

The brands I endorse: Riccar - America for their uprights

Miele - Germany for their canisters (best filtration. period)

Sebo - Germany for its solid performance and suction

Brands to avoid:

Shark - Just don't....ever.

Bissell - used to make grea machines. now have crappy parts and complicated crap

Eureka - their top models are the only ones I would consider buying if I wanted something disposal.

Kirby - might get raped in your home.

Rainbow - Seriously? Complicated crap w/ poor design.

Find a vacuum dealer in your area if you have one, and ask them what they think. Research brands and avoid paid reviews like Consumer Reports. What is important is buying a vacuum that meets your needs.

r3ccOs
11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I know the bagged Miele is an amazing vacuum... but someone is going to have to prove to me that a bagged is better than a bagless, and better than a dyson.

My parents have a old Kirby K5, and its nowhere near as good as my old DC07, let alone the latest offerings.

they don't build things like they used to, that's true and Dyson is almost completely plastic, but I've had mine for 8 years without issues.

I'm looking to get a new one shortly... may even buy a refurb from them.

blitz
11-04-2013, 02:53 PM
My take on it is that Dyson's are user friendly and good enough that your average person would not see a benefit from spending more or going with a "superior" brand.

I bought a refurbed Dyson upright from their Ebay store and it's been great, but my German Festool bagged shop vac is ridiculously powerful and a lot quieter.

r3ccOs
11-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by blitz
My take on it is that Dyson's are user friendly and good enough that your average person would not see a benefit from spending more or going with a "superior" brand.

I bought a refurbed Dyson upright from their Ebay store and it's been great, but my German Festool bagged shop vac is ridiculously powerful and a lot quieter.

again though, it comes down to its purpose...

Dyson isn't about "ridiculiously" powerful, its quite powerful and it doesn't loose suction, while remaining bagless and supposedly with great filtration.

Whereby a commercial grade shop-vac from Milwaukee, I'm sure like your Festool, can almost rip tile off the ground.
This is while sending plenty o particles in the air, even though it has a hepa filter.

anarchy
11-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I love my Dysons - I have an upright and handheld. I'm no vacuum connoisseur but it's amazing to use, worth every dollar.

You don't have to spend $700 to get one, I bought my refurb off the dyson.ca website too. Looked like new, has warranty, and I believe it was only $300 or so.

msommers
11-09-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm thinking of a Dyson because I noticed they're selling refurbished vacs on their website.

http://www.dysoncanada.ca/en-ca/vacuumcleaners/canisters/dc32/dc32-motorhead-refurbished.aspx?siteID=CAqD7bLWUPI-CmdMMjZXafRlYXMVyJ3YqQ&utm_source=LS_CAqD7bLWUPI&utm_medium=LS_10&utm_campaign=LS_1

This seem like a decent deal and vacuum?

01RedDX
11-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Perfect Dark
11-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Bed bath and Beyond will have them on sale every now and then, we got ours for 25% off (note that the coupons that BB&B always have out specifically says that it can't be used on the Dyson vacs).

r3ccOs
11-09-2013, 10:30 AM
motor wise... the Miele has a 12amp motor, and dyson's are 10-11...

not sure exactly if that means more suction, or just that dyson's are as efficient with less wattage?

heavyfuel
11-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I got a Hoover Elite Rewind ( http://hoover.com/products/details/u5507900/elite-rewind-bagless-upright/) , $139 at Wal Mart in 2007. I even threw it at the wall pissed off one time, still going strong with no issues. I recommend it. For those of you who know my occupation, I will say with absolute certainty that Hoovers and Dysons do not make the fateful trip in my truck very often. It's like Simmons vs. Sealy, really. Boils down to preference and budget.

msommers
11-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
I got a Hoover Elite Rewind (" http://hoover.com/products/details/u5507900/elite-rewind-bagless-upright/") , $139 at Wal Mart in 2007. I even threw it at the wall pissed off one time, still going strong with no issues. I recommend it. For those of you who know my occupation, I will say with absolute certainty that Hoovers and Dysons do not make the fateful trip in my truck very often. It's like Simmons vs. Sealy, really. Boils down to preference and budget.

Ahh yes, the good ol' wall test for reliability :nut:

Wrinkly
11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Just heard on the radio.....

Dyson DC25 $399 ($250 off) at the Bay - today only!

Mitsu3000gt
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I looked at a ton of vacuums, and the only thing unique about a Dyson is it costs $300 more than anyone else.

Very good vacuums, no argument there, but they are no better than $350 vacuums in many cases.

I also prefer pull-around vacuums rather than the uprights, so you can get under low furniture better. That is more preference though.

Just make sure it has a good 12 AMP motor and you probably won't be able to tell a difference from a Dyson except in your wallet.

The one-day sale today though is awesome. It's what they should cost in the first place though :)

Dyson is also nowhere near the top of the list on Consumer Reports (28th place if I counted right) for Canister Vacs, the $250-350 Kenmore's & Panasonics are all near or at the top. They are even lower on the uprights.

spike98
11-13-2013, 02:57 PM
There was a IMA on reddit with a vac repair tech that listed several reasons why dyson is not the preferred brand. He also went on to recommend several diferent types at different prices points and types. It was a pretty interesting read if you want to search for it.

I went with a last years model top of the line hoover central vac with power head for cheaper than the Dyson Animal Upright.

Mibz
11-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Once the guys in that AMA started talking about absolute suction ratings and how bagged is better than canister I realized that it was exactly like asking two teenagers which car is better.

They'll spend all day staring at a spec sheet and bench racing, completely ignoring things that matter to real people.

I don't give a fuck if a bagged vacuum cleaner pulls 2 extra inches of mercury, changing bags is for suckers.

taemo
11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Just heard on the radio.....

Dyson DC25 $399 ($250 off) at the Bay - today only!

The Bay making you think that you are getting a killer deal :rofl:
my sister bought one for us as a present back in May and it was around $400+tax

Mitsu3000gt
11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Here's what the Vacuum repairman in the Reddit AMA said about Dyson:

I spend a great deal of my time repairing Dyson as a Warranty Repair Station. As a tech, my problem with Dysons are the weak, crappy parts, and troublesome design flaws. I do not like bagless machines, as they are dirtier, require more regular maintenance, and do not pick up as well as bagged vacs.

I use brand new Dysons in a demo to show how much they leave behind as compared to other brands.

It is my opinion that the better Hoover and Eureka machines work as well or better than Dyson's best. But for the price of a DC50 with the full Animal package, you could get much more vacuum.

One of my problems with Dyson is the amount of crap they leave behind in the carpet. For that kind of money, your carpets should be getting clean.

Unreliable: Dyson, Shark, Eureka, Dirt Devil, Bissell

Reliable/Semi-Reliable Miele, Riccar, Sebo, Hoover, Royal, Panasonic, Fuller

I'm not fond of them. But, Dyson is an excellent company with regard to warranty work. They really do work hard to make the customers happy...because they HAVE to. They break far too often.

They are not BAD vacuums. They just aren't worth the expense, hassle, or what they leave behind in your carpets.

He seems to heavily favor Riccar and Miele in his other posts.

Wrinkly
11-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by taemo

The Bay making you think that you are getting a killer deal :rofl:
my sister bought one for us as a present back in May and it was around $400+tax

So the same then :dunno: I bought my Dyson years ago, just passing on the info for those that may be interested.

jjmac
11-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

again though, it comes down to its purpose...

Dyson isn't about "ridiculiously" powerful, its quite powerful and it doesn't loose suction, while remaining bagless and supposedly with great filtration.

Whereby a commercial grade shop-vac from Milwaukee, I'm sure like your Festool, can almost rip tile off the ground.
This is while sending plenty o particles in the air, even though it has a hepa filter.

+1

I have the Dyson DC35 Digital Slim and I love it!

ipeefreely
11-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I don't give a fuck if a bagged vacuum cleaner pulls 2 extra inches of mercury, changing bags is for suckers.
x2
It just works & it's easy to clean that's all I care about... :thumbsup: :dunno:

googe
11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Dyson is the Bose of Vacuums. Don't buy the hype. Consumer reports ranks them as rather mediocre. It gets its ass kicked by Vacuums that cost less than a third of the price.

Highest rated bagless are LG LuV350P ($400), Hoover UH70120 ($130), Kenmore 31040 ($250), Eureka AS1000A ($120). Dyson doesn't even make the list until #28, with the Dyson DC41 Animal at $600.

Cooked Rice
11-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I bought the Eureka AS1000A on sale for $88 at Wal-mart this week. It's good bang for the buck for far, very powerful. I live on my own, with no pets, so I only vacuum maybe once a week. Probably not something that will last if you have a family or pets and use it frequently. Although I'm pretty sure it's pet hair that is the huge vacuum killer.

msommers
11-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Maybe I'll go for that instead. I have two bedrooms that would need vacuuming: an office and my bedroom. And I live on my own without pets. Hard not to ignore such a large positive feedback from owners though!

JAYMEZ
11-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I have two dysons.. Forgot to bring one from Calgary to Van.. Wicked vacuum , pretty pricey , but I've used some others and the dyson ones are simple / quick and effective . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
11-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Maybe I'll go for that instead. I have two bedrooms that would need vacuuming: an office and my bedroom. And I live on my own without pets. Hard not to ignore such a large positive feedback from owners though!

People who own Bose and Monster Cable are the first ones to tell you how much they love their purchases, too ;) Are their products bad? Not necessarily. Are they grossly overpriced? Yup.

mr2mike
11-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Guys, deal on Dyson: $250 off.

Buy a DC25 Animal for just $399.99 – usually $649.99. The offer is available on DysonCanada.ca from today until midnight November 23.

Aznshadow85
11-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Guys, deal on Dyson: $250 off.

Buy a DC25 Animal for just $399.99 – usually $649.99. The offer is available on DysonCanada.ca from today until midnight November 23.

Also available at Home Outfitters, Canadian Tire and FS/BB for the same price this weekend. Just giving everyone a heads up

RX_EVOLV
11-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Got the Dyson DC43 Animal upright here. Pretty powerful machine and cleans really well. Haven't had any issues with it yet. I got it as a refurbished unit for $360 though which I think is a fair price for it. Definitely not worth the $700 original price tag.

Sugarphreak
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM

A790
12-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by googe
Dyson is the Bose of Vacuums. Don't buy the hype. Consumer reports ranks them as rather mediocre. It gets its ass kicked by Vacuums that cost less than a third of the price.

Highest rated bagless are LG LuV350P ($400), Hoover UH70120 ($130), Kenmore 31040 ($250), Eureka AS1000A ($120). Dyson doesn't even make the list until #28, with the Dyson DC41 Animal at $600.
lol don't even bother trying. We moved away from Dyson's at Neatfreak to different vacuums and I've mentioned that multiple times.

However, people still want to pay $600 for a mediocre vacuum... lol

Skidro
12-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Central vacuum system all day!! (well i dont vacuum everyday.. but u know)

bjstare
12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
^Haha that's what I think every time I see this thread, but like A790 said... always just thought "nah don't even bother". :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
12-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by A790

lol don't even bother trying. We moved away from Dyson's at Neatfreak to different vacuums and I've mentioned that multiple times.

However, people still want to pay $600 for a mediocre vacuum... lol

Anytime you ask someone in the cleaning industry or repair industry about Dyson, they say they are average at best. I don't understand the hype personally, but they are very good at marketing their "premium" name.

They also score very poorly on Consumer Reports testing, well behind $250 vacuums.

spikerS
12-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Anytime you ask someone in the cleaning industry or repair industry about Dyson, they say they are average at best. I don't understand the hype personally, but they are very good at marketing their "premium" name.

I don't mind spending 5-700 for a vacuum, I do however have an issue with a $400 dyson fan.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Skidro
Central vacuum system all day!! (well i dont vacuum everyday.. but u know)

F that. I absolutely HATED lugging around (and storing) the giant vacuum tube. Maybe it'd be ok if you had an inlet in every room, so you would only need a 10' hose, but the house I had it in only had one, so it was 25' long ffs.

A790
12-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

They also score very poorly on Consumer Reports testing, well behind $250 vacuums.
Yes I bought one right before I bought in to Neatfreak and it never got used. We piloted using Dyson DC23AN's and we found them very unreliable (broke often due to plastic parts). The lack of a motorized stair cleaning tool was also unfortunate as the air-powered tools do a poor job.

We now have 9 electrolux canister vacuums that are f-ing amazing. They almost never break down, always have great suction, are easy to move around, and their electrically powered stair tool is second to none.

Originally posted by spikers

I don't mind spending 5-700 for a vacuum, I do however have an issue with a $400 dyson fan.

$400 for a fan? Eff that.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

F that. I absolutely HATED lugging around (and storing) the giant vacuum tube. Maybe it'd be ok if you had an inlet in every room, so you would only need a 10' hose, but the house I had it in only had one, so it was 25' long ffs.
My parents have central vac with three outlets. They love it. I hate it- I know that feel, bro. lol

spikerS
12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by A790

$400 for a fan? Eff that.

yup, $450 for one.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/dyson-dyson-hot-cool-air-multiplier-bladeless-fan-am05-iron-blue-am-05-ib-dc-ca/10237980.aspx?path=f4f731559afac5ce6964106f9dec242den02

JRSC00LUDE
12-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Electrolux motherfuckers.

Central Vac. Hand held stair unit. Small upright unit for quick cleans of the hardwood.

BOOM.

Case closed.

littledan
12-19-2013, 04:07 PM
stupid electrolux ergo rapido. I'm on my 3rd stick vaccuum in 5 years and the battery on it just died again. and it's not replaceable. I'm pretty handy so if anyone can find an 18V replacement batt please let me know!

A790
12-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Electrolux motherfuckers.

Central Vac. Hand held stair unit. Small upright unit for quick cleans of the hardwood.

BOOM.

Case closed.
Yep we moved to electrolux and we love 'em. Aerus on bow trail has good pricing and services them free of charge too :)

diamondedge
12-20-2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md-12-amp-canister-vacuum/620-000616128-23406C

Kenmore owner/user chiming in here.

Parents bought one of these generation ones...at least 7 years ago? Still sucks like a monster and hasn't skipped a beat.

Mitsu3000gt
12-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md-12-amp-canister-vacuum/620-000616128-23406C

Kenmore owner/user chiming in here.

Parents bought one of these generation ones...at least 7 years ago? Still sucks like a monster and hasn't skipped a beat.

I have a very similar one, I think it cost $300 or so. Better than anything Dyson makes for half the price. I am super happy with it. I have a Roomba now though so it doesn't see as much use haha.

When I move out of my condo into an actual house I will be getting central vac for sure though.

Deeznuts
12-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Dyson Boxing Day sale at Target: DC29 upright vac for $298!