PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever replace your lost/stolen passport?

Skrilla
11-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Has anyone had to replace there passport before, either being lost or stolen? I have misplaced mine from my last move, and would like to go away this winter. Is it as big of a pain as I am told, or not?

SJW
11-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Not a big pain. Just don't do it again. They'll flag you as a security risk for 10 years. It's dumb. I simply washed mine and they said 10 year. Replacement is simple.

bitteeinbit
11-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah pretty straight forward, but be careful after that. It was a real pain because mine was stolen/lost in St-Petersburg Russia. Can't take the train without a passport in Russia and unluckily, my flight was only a few days away. Luckily, there was a Canadian Consulate there (or I would have had to smuggle myself inside the train) which issued me a letter which served as a passport until I got back to Canada... If they have time, they'll issue you a temporary passport, but in Canada I assume it'll be easy-breazy.

davidI
11-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Yep, had one stolen while skinny dipping with a German girl in Thailand. Feck! I never carry my passport either but was sketched out by the $4/night guesthouse I was staying in so figured it was safer with me.

I couldn't just get a temporary passport as I had onward travel so I ended up spending 1 month in Bangkok getting it processed. I had to have my parents take my documents (birth certificate) to a Calgary passport office and they called the references I provided.

Hassle, but I got it.

lasimmon
11-05-2013, 12:54 PM
If I remember correctly you have to do the whole re-application for a new one. Can't just do a renewal. Also for the next 10 years or something you have to do the whole new re-application, not just get it re-newel.

I am unsure about that because my damaged one is just about to come up for its new renewal but that's what I have been told.

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
If I remember correctly you have to do the whole re-application for a new one. Can't just do a renewal. Also for the next 10 years or something you have to do the whole new re-application, not just get it re-newel.

I am unsure about that because my damaged one is just about to come up for its new renewal but that's what I have been told.

That is correct.