PDA

View Full Version : spud.ca

nzwasp
11-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Does anyone on beyond use this service? do they find that produce is cheaper than buying organic at a grocery store?

My wife really wants to try it and our friends use and swear its cheaper but im not so easily convinced.

A790
11-04-2013, 02:48 PM
It's about on par, but they deliver. Also I've never had them deliver crappy food. Everything was alright, not bruised/rotten/etc.

We cancelled because we have a wedding coming up and decided to put that money elsewhere, but have every intention of going back to Spud in June once we're no longer saving up for a wedding.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I used spud for about a year. The quality of produce was excellent. Our problem is that we're not very good at planning, so instead of specifically picking each item, we jsut got them to send a variety each week. Found that we didn't end up eating every item, so a substantial amount was just thrown away. No idea if it's cheaper than organic at the grocery store, but I do know it's a poor value if you don't eat the food.

As for service and quality, top notch all the way.

brandon
11-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Never used spud.ca but I frequently use the organic box! great service and pricing.

Amysicle
11-04-2013, 08:08 PM
We've used SPUD on and off this year. Can't really tell how it compares price-wise to the box grocery stores because they don't consistently price the products on the website and my husband will munch on some carrots or eat some fruit before I get home so I can't weigh it to find out the price per pound for comparison.

Like ExtraSlow, we don't generally eat vegetables and I suck at planning meals so some of it does go to waste. The meat you get from SPUD is frozen and pretty expensive for what you do get in size/quality.

Edit: One thing I find pretty annoying is they try to provide the KM of how far the food has traveled but it's misleading. They'll say the coffee or seafood is local (like less than 15 km) because of where it's roasted or where the warehouse is in Calgary. That's just greenwashing.

nzwasp
11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I'd probably just use it for produce, we buy all our meat direct from farms.

BrknFngrs
11-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Any cost benefit in doing that or do you do it purely for the organic aspect?

msommers
11-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Something about buying produce online just feels.....off. Most have had success with quality, fresh fruits/veg?

Where do you go? What do you get?

firebane
11-04-2013, 11:47 PM
I've often thought about spud.. but then I realize I actually enjoy going to the store. Also they have a limited selection and I find it easier to go to a store to buy things I actually want.

Just took a look at a few things.. $4.99 for 2l of Almond Milk same price as Safeway and $1 more than Walmart.

ExtraSlow
11-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Spud isn't competing with stores on price. if the rock bottom price is your driver, this isn't for you.

Country Lane farms is good for Chickens "straight from the farm".

CapnCrunch
11-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Am I misreading that? $3.50 for a single red pepper?

The other produce prices don't seem that out to lunch.

nzwasp
11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Something about buying produce online just feels.....off. Most have had success with quality, fresh fruits/veg?

Where do you go? What do you get?

We usually buy half a cow from a place in strathmore (cant remember the name right now but its all organic) i think half a cow was about 200lbs of meat and cost us about $1000.

We just bought half a pig and thats about $500 for 170lbs of meat.
from a farm in didsbury. its $2.75 per lb + processing fee

you choose all your cuts so you get what you want. The place doing the pig is also curing all our bacon for us.

We buy organic whole chickens and turkeys from a farm called saskaberry ranch north of cochrane. The chickens were 3$ per lb same with turkeys.

msommers
11-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Sweet ill check those out. Thanks!

A790
11-05-2013, 03:36 PM

We usually buy half a cow from a place in strathmore (cant remember the name right now but its all organic) i think half a cow was about 200lbs of meat and cost us about $1000.

you choose all your cuts so you get what you want. The place doing the pig is also curing all our bacon for us.

We buy organic whole chickens and turkeys from a farm called saskaberry ranch north of cochrane. The chickens were 3$ per lb same with turkeys.
Do they butcher the meat for you? If not, who does that?

What's your total cost for 200lb of beef?

Amysicle
11-05-2013, 07:30 PM
We usually buy half a cow from a place in strathmore (cant remember the name right now but its all organic) i think half a cow was about 200lbs of meat and cost us about $1000. We buy half a cow from a local rancher but it's processed in Strathmore. It's called Pure Country Meats. Is that the same place?

nzwasp
11-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I think the butcher is pure country meats,

I can probably search my email for the total price we paid, fairly sure for the cow the processing (butcher) was about 100$ or so.

A790
11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I think the butcher is pure country meats,

I can probably search my email for the total price we paid, fairly sure for the cow the processing (butcher) was about 100$ or so.
Oh snap! Which farm do you buy from? I want in on this action!

flipstah
11-06-2013, 12:22 PM

If it's half a cow, then you get a variety of cuts and with an average of $5/lb, that's a fair price.

If you remember the farm, I'd love to get in on that. Can you buy offal as well?

DeleriousZ
11-06-2013, 01:33 PM
The gf uses spud almost exclusively and she really enjoys it. Not owning a car makes it difficult to get groceries and this helps a lot.

Ven
11-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Amazon is going to slaughter these guys unless they get their prices in line. $10.69 for a 4L jug of milk? I can get it cheaper at 7-11 and that includes getting mugged on the way.

A790
11-06-2013, 05:21 PM
So I wound up getting in touch with http://wineglassranchalberta.com/. They charge about $4/hanging lb and deliver right to my door. In the process of ordering, I'll post how it goes!

nzwasp
11-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah but is that organic milk? Superstore sells organic milk 4L for 8.99. So their prices aren't that far off.

To A790 and flipstah, last year I think my cow price was 3.50 per lb for any cut. I'm just in vancouver at the moment without my computer, I get back on monday so I'll see if I can find the farm details then. Do you want the pig guy too?

4$ per lb including processing fee and delivery? If so that would be about what we paid as we always have paid the processing fee seperately. We also never got it home delivered, we always picked it up from their calgary drop off location.

flipstah
11-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Pig guy would be nice to know also. Especially if I buy entrails.

A790
11-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah but is that organic milk? Superstore sells organic milk 4L for 8.99. So their prices aren't that far off.

To A790 and flipstah, last year I think my cow price was 3.50 per lb for any cut. I'm just in vancouver at the moment without my computer, I get back on monday so I'll see if I can find the farm details then. Do you want the pig guy too?

4$ per lb including processing fee and delivery? If so that would be about what we paid as we always have paid the processing fee seperately. We also never got it home delivered, we always picked it up from their calgary drop off location.
Yea I just got off the phone with them. $3.99 per hanging bound, equivilant to about 4 legal sized boxes full. Grain finished. No hormones or steroids. Butchered and delivered.

Delivery for Jan 15. I'm excited now :)

msommers
11-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd love to buy half a cow but where the hell do I put all that meat! Maybe we do a group buy :rofl:

A790
11-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I'd love to buy half a cow but where the hell do I put all that meat! Maybe we do a group buy :rofl:
The place I'm buying from does a quarter cow too :)

msommers
11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Nice that's much more manageable, thanks Cam!

Here's more farms in AB to consider for various meats.

http://goo.gl/maps/9Yv1j

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by A790

The place I'm buying from does a quarter cow too :)

Cool, I was curious compared to here. I have a guy who I can buy beef @2.99/pound from on a quarter or side and then another (who claims "all natural") who charges $3.70 on the half and $4.30 on the quarter (too high imo).

I trust the production on both sellers so it's really just a matter of taste preference between them....

A790
11-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Cool, I was curious compared to here. I have a guy who I can buy beef @2.99/pound from on a quarter or side and then another (who claims "all natural") who charges $3.70 on the half and $4.30 on the quarter (too high imo).

I trust the production on both sellers so it's really just a matter of taste preference between them....
The other cost worth considering is whether or not it is butchered for you.