PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilder Kitchen Appliance Allowance

bobafixed
11-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on something. We are in the process of building a new house and were given the option to do a kitchen upgrade. That upgrade would increase our kitchen appliance allowance to $10,000. If you look at the paperwork, it clearly shows this is a kitchen appliance upgrade. We went ahead with this upgrade.

When we went to choose our appliances, we were now told that our laundry machines would be included in our kitchen appliance allowance. I had assumed kitchen appliances would be bought with a kitchen appliance allowance, and laundry machines would have their own allowance.

Is this worth pursuing, or should we just go ahead and look for laundry machines at our own cost?

CapnCrunch
11-04-2013, 04:19 PM
That's how it was when I built.

killramos
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
When I bought it was listed as an "appliance" allowance so obviously my washer dryer was to be used in that. 10k is quite a lot actually you should be very happy with the appliances you get for that amount. Make sure you overspend because if you don't you don't get a cent of that 10k back.

As for your situation it just sounds like you weren't given a laundry allowance... The fact that they would let you use the kitchen remainder on laundry sounds more like a benefit applied to you.

bobafixed
11-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it's my fault that i wasnt clear in my initial post.

In the brochure we were given, it's stated that washer and dryer are included with the new house. We have a 10k allowance, because we purchased an upgrade that increased our allowance as part of the upgrade package.

So given the following information:

- Washer and dryer to be included as part of the new home build
- Upgrade package is listed as "Kitchen Appliance Upgrade -$10,000 allowance"

I concluded that a separate washer/dryer allowance would be provided... since the washer/dryer usually isnt in the kitchen.

Should I let this go?

turbotrip
11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
the way u explained it, it sounds like washer/dryer should be seperate from the appliance allowance.
however, ive always seen washer/dryers included in the appliance allowance.

bobafixed
11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
I'll try to remember and take screenshots of everything tonight. just not sure if the builder will even budge on this.

88CRX
11-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by bobafixed
Thanks for the replies, sorry it's my fault that i wasnt clear in my initial post.

In the brochure we were given, it's stated that washer and dryer are included with the new house. We have a 10k allowance, because we purchased an upgrade that increased our allowance as part of the upgrade package.

So given the following information:

- Washer and dryer to be included as part of the new home build
- Upgrade package is listed as "Kitchen Appliance Upgrade -$10,000 allowance"

I concluded that a separate washer/dryer allowance would be provided... since the washer/dryer usually isnt in the kitchen.

Should I let this go?

So you want to be able to use the "$10k upgrade budget" on better washer and dryers?

:nut: or what are you asking?

roopi
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

So you want to be able to use the "$10k upgrade budget" on better washer and dryers?

:nut: or what are you asking?

I think e is asking if he can spend the entire 10k on the kitchen appliances and the washer/dryer should still be included for free because the brochure specifically says 'Kitchen Appliance Upgrade -$10,000 allowance' and not 'Kitchen/Laundry Appliance Upgrade -$10,000 allowance.

88CRX
11-04-2013, 05:41 PM
When I built there was no washer/dryer included at all. Everything was 'full price' upgrade over the house purchase price.

killramos
11-04-2013, 06:27 PM
What I would be careful of is that if you make a real big stink about this you are just going to end up with some cheap ass washers and dryers.

This is assuming that you are correct and they are expected to provide it sepparately. What is really important is what you signed in the purchase contract IMO. Because if you made any alterations to the deal in the brochure you could have potentially and unknowingly changed the deal. Fortunately for you ambiguity written in a contract will (almost) always go to the party who did not write the contract.

Problem that you are likely to run into is the 2 grand the easer-dryer will cost you is not worth a legal fight with a builder who likely has a beefy legal team.

TurboMedic
11-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Our appliance allowance was all in one.....same type of deal, the basic appliance package in the house value, including the washer and dryer = the appliance allowance. We did major kitchen upgrades, which bumped our allowance as well, to similar to yours, but that still included the washer and dryer......We could have chosen to not purchase a washer and dryer with the allowance and use it for only kithchen (there are only certain things they cannot leave uninstalled apparently), but we would have spent the money on a washer and dryer anyhow because I didn't want mine from my old house.....so the money was being spent anyhow

frozenrice
11-04-2013, 10:36 PM
How much was the appliance allowance if you hadn't done the upgrade? Is the washer dryer included in that amount? Is the $10,000 for the upgrade package an UPGRADE allowance over and above the base allowance or the TOTAL appliance allowance?
I can see the confusion with the wording.

masoncgy
11-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Why didn't you just opt to go and get your own appliances? I don't know the specifics of your contract, but my experience with builder appliance packages & upgrades through the builder is that you are paying a ton of mark up.