PDA

View Full Version : New GM - Lightweight truck?

AndyL
11-04-2013, 11:24 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/11/04/chevrolet-silverado-cheyenne/3430431/
http://i42.tinypic.com/29uu72f.jpg

LAS VEGAS -- Chevrolet is out to prove that it can create a lightweight version of its Silverado pickup.

Simple formula: Combine the light-weighting with a big honkin' V-8 engine and it clear this truck can be plenty quick.

Chevy calls it the Silverado Cheyenne concept vehicle and is exhibiting it here at the Specialty Equipment Market Association trade show, the big auto industry aftermarket confab known simply as SEMA.

It's a way to lay at least a partial claim to the low-weight title that rival Ford Motor hopes to own when it introduces its 2015 F-150 next year. The rumor mill has said the Ford will use an extraordinary amount of aluminum instead of steel, to cut weight and improve both performance and mileage.

Ford showed a harbinger of the truck at the Detroit auto show in January, but was mum on most details. A brief fact sheet on what Ford calls the Atlas concept emphasized that the frame is steel.

Cheyenne substitutes aftermarket parts for the originals to cut weight.

By sticking in carbon fiber replacements for the bumpers, tailgate and inner cargo box, the trucks loses about 200 pounds from its 4,503-pound base weight. The carbon ceramic brakes are borrowed from a Camaro Z/28, and their rotors weight less than conventional ones.

There is no trailer hitch, spare tire, interior center console and some of the sound insulation was pulled out, all to save weight. Aluminum is used for the wheels, driveshaft and rear leaf springs.

Chevy has some of the lightweight technology already in production. The brand's 2014 Corvette redesign extensively uses carbon fiber and other weight-reducing materials. It amounts to a silver lining in parent General Motors' Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization in 2009. Corvette development was halted a total of two years as GM foundered, and that was long enough that some of the exotic materials had become commercially viable and were adopted for use on the well-known sports car.

"Light-weighting is a time-honored method of making the most of a vehicle's performance which Chevrolet has demonstrated time and again with vehicles like the original 2001 Corvette Z06 and the 2014 Camaro Z/28," says Chevrolet's Chris Perry in a statement. "And like those vehicles, the Cheyenne complements its lower weight with more horsepower."

The Cheyenne gets extra push from the 420-horsepower, 6.2-liter V-8 engine.

For looks, Cheyenne has a lowered ride height and six-foot, six-inch cargo box to make it look cool.

Chevy first used "Cheyenne" as the designation for a premium trim level on 1971 full-size pickups, to appeal to a small but growing market of personal-use buyers.

Interesting... Very Interesting...

firebane
11-04-2013, 11:35 PM
So they are bringing back the Cheyenne model in an updated version.. very interesting.

The Cheyennes were always known to be the barebones no frills type pick up trucks and a lot of people would swap out interior parts to upgrade them.

And the article is wrong about the Cheyenne as being a "premium" trim level.. it was a bare bones trim level. The Silverado was the "premium" trim level.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't get it, if they want a light-weight, quick pick-up truck, why not just create another S-10 SS with a V8 in it?

sxtasy
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM
very cool, unfortunately regular cabs are hard to deal with on a daily basis

firebane
11-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I don't get it, if they want a light-weight, quick pick-up truck, why not just create another S-10 SS with a V8 in it?

Because a S10 isn't a practical truck. The boxes were too small to really do anything with and they were essentially a car as they mostly came with little 4 cyclinders or 6 cyclinders.

firebane
11-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy

Having owned both a regular cab and a extended cab truck now.. I do prefer the extended cab for the wheelbase not so much the extra cab room.

If I could find a decent regular cab short box 4x4 Chevy newer than 96 I would sell my current truck for it.

Boosted131
11-05-2013, 12:09 AM
i'd love an s10 with a 6.2 in it.

AndyL
11-05-2013, 12:54 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/2014-chevrolet-colorado-and-gmc-canyon-to-include-duramax-turbo-diesel-as-option

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Top-Speed-Chevrolet-Colorado-520x245.jpg

The new colorado/canyon actually looks decent... Think we'll ever see it...

and diesel... Fucking overseas only...

jsn
11-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy

Yea, interesting concept but I don't think I'd ever buy a regular cab truck either.

Antonito
11-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Slap the front clip from the concept onto the new Canyon/Colorado and call it a day.

SKR
11-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by firebane
So they are bringing back the Cheyenne model in an updated version.. very interesting.

The Cheyennes were always known to be the barebones no frills type pick up trucks and a lot of people would swap out interior parts to upgrade them.

And the article is wrong about the Cheyenne as being a "premium" trim level.. it was a bare bones trim level. The Silverado was the "premium" trim level.

Not in 1971. Cheyenne was top of the line until they made a higher trim level called Silverado in 1975. Cheyenne was dropped in 1982 and brought back in 1988 as the low trim level.

Tik-Tok
11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Because a S10 isn't a practical truck. The boxes were too small to really do anything with and they were essentially a car as they mostly came with little 4 cyclinders or 6 cyclinders.

That was their own fault though, they made sure you couldn't even fit a sheet of plywood in the box, or compete in any other way with the 1/2 ton segment.

Personally, I don't need a 1/2 ton truck with a payload of 2000lbs, and tow capacity of 12,000lbs as a daily driver, and a lot of other people don't either. What I do need is truck that can be daily driven, and CAN hold a sheet of plywood, and <1000lbs capacity is totally fine.

Originally posted by AndyL
http://www.examiner.com/article/2014-chevrolet-colorado-and-gmc-canyon-to-include-duramax-turbo-diesel-as-option

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Top-Speed-Chevrolet-Colorado-520x245.jpg

Wiki says it'll be 2015+ for North America. In the past, I would have said no way for the diesel, but Dodge's new mini diesel sales will probably determine that.

Masked Bandit
11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
For a couple of years you could get the Colorado / Canyon with the 5.3 L in it which was PLENTY fast. But now you're coming up on a price tag of $40,000. For that money most people just buy a real truck.

blairtruck
11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
it will be a joke like the Silverado SS.
was that supposed to be in line with the ram srt-10 and lightning?

AndyL
11-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Wiki says it'll be 2015+ for North America. In the past, I would have said no way for the diesel, but Dodge's new mini diesel sales will probably determine that.
They have to bring the canyon/Colorado back to the domestic market before they can release a new engine for it ;)

Tik-Tok
11-05-2013, 10:05 AM

They have to bring the canyon/Colorado back to the domestic market before they can release a new engine for it ;)

That's what I meant, the new Canyonaro will be back in NA for 2015.

FraserB
11-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Looks like Toyota slapped on a Chevy emblem as a joke.

Masked Bandit
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Looks like Toyota slapped on a Chevy emblem as a joke.

A mini-me Tundra!

firebane
11-06-2013, 04:56 PM

That was their own fault though, they made sure you couldn't even fit a sheet of plywood in the box, or compete in any other way with the 1/2 ton segment.

I absolutely agree. I had a GMC S15 and it was a great little truck.. just the box was useless.

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
So the reduced the weight from 4503 to 4303? Am I missing something? That is still going to be quite the pig. I'm probably just reading that wrong.

blitz
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Your precious S6 weighs 4389 lbs :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Your precious S6 weighs 4389 lbs :rofl:

Huh? I don't even own an Audi right now, let alone an S6. The S6 is a fat pig, as are pretty much all German sports sedans, from a weight perspective. How is that relevant to the Cheyenne?