PDA

View Full Version : WSOP main event

89coupe
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Anyone else find the final table format so boring? Not showing the hole cards till after the hand is over is just so boring.

Also, don't you find it stupid that the players are allowed to txt or tweet friends to find out what the other player had for hole cards after a 15min delay?

Like WTF? It totally changes the dynamics of the game.

This shouldn't be allowed IMO.

GAY!

FraserB
11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Not showing hole cards during the hand is ridiculous and removes pretty much all point of watching. Allowing players to text while at the table and playing to find out what their opponent had a couple of hands previous is even more ridiculous.

I guess if you're going to run a poker tourney for millions of dollars in prize money, you make the rules more lax than a regular 2/5 game.

lasimmon
11-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I tuned in last night, couldn't figure out why they were not showing the cards, so I turned it off.

tirebob
11-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I actually like the format of not showing hole cards until after the hand. I like to see if my reads are right. As for tweeting for the hand results during the tournament, I am not a fan of that...

sexualbanana
11-05-2013, 02:42 PM
It's an interesting dynamic they've created by showing it live. It has its pros and cons,but for the casual fan it's boring as fuck to watch.

The toughest thing I imagine is trying to play with all that crowd noise, rooting, and general commotion that's going on around them. A busy poker room is one thing, but there's a lot going on with you as the centre of attention.

EDIT: It's also really interesting to have Esfandiari providing commentary because he's giving some really awesome insight into how he's reading hands in a live setting.

Kobe
11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
It really makes it interesting, since all the players are getting insight 15minutes after the hand, and start adjusting accordingly, but what stops a player from adjusting differently after they know his precieved ranges after awhile?

I'm personally not the biggest fan of waiting a few months, letting everyone get a bunch of coaching before the final table, but it def brings for a much more exciting game. also not showing hole cards is way better imo..

Lex350
11-06-2013, 10:05 AM
At least show one hand. Then you can play along in your head how you would bet it.

89coupe
11-06-2013, 10:21 AM
The final table and heads up was a total snoozer, this format will eventually kill off the TV programs.

They have already cut back the number of days they televise now with fewer cameras, they are losing money.

Its obviously not attracting the general audience like it use to.

I love poker but watching it live is just boring.

Does it kill you Kobe that Farber is just a casual player and made it to the final table of the Main Event? Haha.

Not sure why you wouldn't give it a try, its only $10k

I'm sure you could get people to stake you.

Kobe
11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
The final table and heads up was a total snoozer, this format will eventually kill off the TV programs.

They have already cut back the number of days they televise now with fewer cameras, they are losing money.

Its obviously not attracting the general audience like it use to.

I love poker but watching it live is just boring.

Does it kill you Kobe that Farber is just a casual player and made it to the final table of the Main Event? Haha.

Not sure why you wouldn't give it a try, its only $10k

No I was actually rooting for Farber to win it since a good buddy of mine here in Budapest was room mates with him in Vegas before.

I'm not sure if it was aired on actually TV in Canada/USA for the final table, (I had 2 stream it online)

I'm sure if I wanted to play it, I'd have no problem selling action or even trying to win a satty into it, but I just don't really care enough about it TBH. I already hate low - medium stakes MTT's no point playing a 10k.

I don't watch much poker, I'll never watch a televised poker event where it only shows the big hands, I personally like the whole aspect of seeing how the whole table is playing every hand much better.

With that saying I'd also prefer to see the whole cards before, but I think it's fine seeing them at the end as well.

colinxx235
11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I thought the entire purpose behind not exposing the hole cards on the final table is because the event is live? Could open up a lot of bad situations.

Antonio commenting is always the best, guy is a genius. Crazy to see how on spot most of his reads are.

Kobe
11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
I thought the entire purpose behind not exposing the hole cards on the final table is because the event is live? Could open up a lot of bad situations.

Antonio commenting is always the best, guy is a genius. Crazy to see how on spot most of his reads are.

They show the whole cards at the end of the hand anyways, it's also 15minutes delayed before they show it.

sexualbanana
11-06-2013, 05:11 PM

As long as he's a reasonable player (which I can only assume he is from what he's said), and he's got some poker friends, he can easily find a couple stakes. Just a matter of does he want to, which it doesn't sound like he cares enough.

I think I'd rather have a couple horses in the WSOP rather than play in it myself. But I'm also not that good.

89coupe
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

As long as he's a reasonable player (which I can only assume he is from what he's said), and he's got some poker friends, he can easily find a couple stakes. Just a matter of does he want to, which it doesn't sound like he cares enough.

I think I'd rather have a couple horses in the WSOP rather than play in it myself. But I'm also not that good.

I plan on playing it one year. I think it would be a blast.

Type_S1
11-06-2013, 05:25 PM

I plan on playing it one year. I think it would be a blast.

Beyond main event trip? I wanted to play this year but work timing didn't work out.

Kobe
11-07-2013, 12:56 PM
LOL @ taxes in other countries... Thankfully Canada (Excluding Quebec) is good about it..

http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/biggest-winner-year-s-wsop-main-event-taxman-588905/

swak
11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Beyond main event trip? I wanted to play this year but work timing didn't work out.

I'd be in!

CanmoreOrLess
11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
The break to November kills the momentum, gets each coaching and selling off stakes. Far better to play the final table right away and a play-clock would be nice, say 90 seconds.