PDA

View Full Version : More evidence showing risk of using TRT

89coupe
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-heart-disease-testosterone-replacement-20131105,0,3592717.story#axzz2jss2tS7M

The latest research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. (JAMA), is the second major study to suggest there may be public health dangers in a booming market for "low T" medication.

zipdoa
11-06-2013, 11:08 AM
You had me worried, until:

"A little over half were obese, with a similar proportion having diabetes. Between 85% and 90% had high blood pressure or worrisome cholesterol readings. Almost 6 in 10 showed signs that plaque was obstructing the arteries feeding blood to their hearts."

And a great note left in the comments section:

"Obese men, like over half those in this study, convert testosterone into estrogen with their visceral fat cells.

Like the NEJM study that inspired this one, it shows that older, obese men who do not have clinical hypogonadism, need to try the demonstrated nutritional, fitness, sleep and mindset techniques that work to lose the gut and raise testosterone naturally.

Many of the men I see in the medical office are overweight and obese, and many are poorly able to do pushups, lunges, squats or burpees, if at all. Many are vitamin D3 deficient, and that's important in restoring testosterone levels, naturally (http://RefuelMen.com for details).

Almost no one needs TRT. Nearly all, however, do need a simple, systematic lifestyle program that helps them refuel--using unprocessed foods, simple interval training, better sleep hygiene, and mindset/stress control to stop eating when they're not hungry, and restore drive, strength and stamina."

That being said... something has really struck a nerve with you about steroid use, hasn't it 89coupe?

suen17
11-06-2013, 11:20 AM
A couple issues with the paper the article refers to as it applies to Health/Fitness in the beyond demographic:

1. The mean age of people enrolled in that study is approximately 60yo. At that age cardiovascular disease will begin rearing its ugly head regardless of the use of TRT, though I'm not denying that TRT could contribute or exacerbate CAD. The majority of people advocating for the use of TRT here in recent threads are younger, healthy and active persons. I think it'd be a stretch to apply data and conclusions from a 60yo cohort to the younger 20-30yo group. The upper limit of normal reference range for "healthy" testosterone levels is 2x higher in males <50 than it is for males >50; I'd argue that that in itself makes studies with an older cohort less applicable to the younger crowd.

2. In simple terms, absolute risk reduction is 5.8% (95% CI, −1.4% to 13.1%) at 3 years. LAtimes cites the relative risk "30%" to hype up the shock factor. In fact, the confidence interval suggests that the true effect could potentially be protective...

Yes, heart attacks, strokes, and death are good endpoints to consider; but show me some evidence for the mechanism linking how TRT causes/potentiates/worsens atherosclerosis.

89coupe
11-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

That being said... something has really struck a nerve with you about steroid use, hasn't it 89coupe?

Nope, just saw it in the elevator this morning.

Tej.S
11-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Stop trying to rustle everyone's jimmies with these irrelevant posts lol.

zipdoa
11-06-2013, 10:34 PM
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/114/7/3/rustle_of_the_planet_of_the_jimmies_by_lordluke200-d4xgsy8.png