PDA

View Full Version : Country Hills Hyundai - thumbs down so far

Velostabile
11-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not one to bitch and complain, but my recent experience with Country Hills Hyundai has left a bad taste in my mouth to the point I need to vent.

Bought a Veloster Turbo back in September, 2013. Negotiated a pretty good deal with the sales guy, Louie. Can't say enough positive stuff about the dude. HE was very accommodating and great to work with.

The problems started when I was with someone in the accounting department. When I went to sign the forms, I noticed on my invoice I was being charged $900 for a 3M protection job, and $450 for a strut bar, two things that were meant to be free according to our negotiations. I brought this to the attention of the finance team individual, and they disappeared and came back, saying only the strut bar was free.

Louie stepped in and told the person that no, in fact the 3m was to be free as well. At this point she looked at me and said, "We can't do that." I'll give you $400 off instead. I was pretty much annoyed at this point. I shouldn't have to renegotiate at this stage. I told her there was no way I would pay for something I was told was to be free.

After 10-15 minutes or so, the deal was corrected. Yay.

Not a big issue, just annoying. But then, three days after getting my car, the 3M started peeling in three separate locations. Back to the dealer I went! They had it fixed in a couple of hours. Again, not the biggest deal, just another annoying experience.

Then, on Oct. 21, my car went into limp home mode on the way home from work. I dropped it off at the dealership and they were to look at it first thing that morning.

I got a call from the second very helpful person, Annica, the next day. Long story short, they couldn't figure out what was wrong. IT had an error code in the electrical system, so they ran a couple of tests and could not find the problem. By a couple of tests, I mean 11 days’ worth of tests. When they finally figured out that the issues was the wastegate solenoid on Nov. 1, they replaced it and I finally had the car back 16 days later on the 5th.

I understand shit happens, but it sucks when it happens to a car with 3,000km on it. It also sucks that you own a car for 6 weeks, and it spends half a month in the dealer.

I emailed their General Manager the week before, hoping we could discuss the problems. I never got a response. I did get told by the service associate that he got my email and that he was going to call me on the Monday to talk. I never got a call.

When I picked up the car, the service associate was surprised I never received his call, claiming he did in fact call me on Monday and I was unavailable.

Sorry, this is the 21st century; my phone has a call history. You didn't call.

Then, more awesome. I looked under the hood and the dash to look at the mess they left ripping apart the ECU and wiring harness trying to find the problem. The re-taping of the wiring looms looked like it was done by a five-year-old, with loose tape and gaps, exposing wires. The engine cover was all scratched up and marked from them removing it, rubbing it against the strut bar, rather than just placing a rag between to prevent damage.

Such an amateur job done by the techs. I'm sure 90% of people could care less what the engine looks like. Unfortunately, I'm part of the 10% that expects a brand new car to still look brand new after a month of ownership, including the engine bay.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to have this fixed. I'll update on the progress of this mess with this dealer. I'm very curious what they plan on doing to make sure my I continue making them my dealer of choice. Not looking good for them at this point. Can't say I would recommend the dealer.

Still love my Veloster. Great car. No knocks on Hyundai. The dealer? We will see.

luxor
11-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Uh I'm just gonna go ahead and state the obvious. DON'T BUY A HYUNDAI. You get what you pay for so I am NOT surprised (car and dealership).

xnvy
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
^Nothing wrong with the car's themselves. I know its customary to rag on Hyundai and Kia but there quality issues are largely in the past, I find. The new Optima is pretty damn good (although I'd go for the Mazda6) and while I have no experience with the Veloster Turbo, it's gotten pretty good reviews. The dealership, however, I cannot vouch for and I would advise you to take your car somewhere else based on the service you've received.

Velostabile
11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with the cars, I agree. I understand that with how complicated technology is nowadays, things brake. Wasn't upset about the solenoid. Just the dealer.

I don't plan on going back. I hope others who are looking for a Hyundai/dealer don't either.

The car itself is pretty damn good for what you pay for.

Masked Bandit
11-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by luxor
Uh I'm just gonna go ahead and state the obvious. DON'T BUY A HYUNDAI. You get what you pay for so I am NOT surprised (car and dealership).

I think you're about five years behind the times luxor. The fit & finish on the Santa Fe we bought this summer exceeded anything Honda or Toyota had to offer in the same category. I guess we'll have to see what it's like with 150,000 km on the clock but so far I'm very satisfied. Five years ago though I couldn't have imagined buying a Hyundai.

As mentioned in the other thread though, CHH is quickly getting a poor reputation.

corsvette
11-07-2013, 04:42 PM
A a family friend bought a 2012 Sonata, it's constantly in for repairs. She said precision has been best so far. Car was purchased through Country Hills and their service dept was the worst.

Country hills Hyundai is the same group that owns CMP (GM) Sunridge nissan, Shaw GMC, Okotoks GM, and Okotoks Nissan. Seems these dealerships are always looking for managers, such high turnover might mean these places are not the best run dealerships out there.

relyt92
11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Despite what I have seen mentioned on this forum, I've had good experiences with Precision Hyundai, no issues when there, and last time I was there they replaced my inner door handle under warranty without me even asking about it since the chrome was peeling.

Canucks3322
11-07-2013, 06:08 PM
OP, see the other recent thread on CHH for other bad stories including mine...

I recommend Precision too, AJ was the guy who helped my gf a few years back, hope he's still there.

MGCM
11-07-2013, 06:24 PM
inside info.........Country Hills Hyundai is a new dealership, thats means new staff new policy new proceedures ect, its like buying the first gen first year model of a car........u just dont do it. IMHO you will find better service at Calgary Hyundai off barlow trail. They have been around for many many years and most of the service staff has stayed the same.

sabad66
11-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Shitty deal about the service dept. Hopefully they can make it right for you.

I'll echo your comments about Louie though. Stellar dude!

Cos
11-07-2013, 07:09 PM

relyt92
11-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Anyone know if that's the Louie that worked at Calgary Hyundai? If it is I also dealt with him briefly there and had good experience with him.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
inside info.........Country Hills Hyundai is a new dealership, thats means new staff new policy new proceedures ect, its like buying the first gen first year model of a car........u just dont do it. IMHO you will find better service at Calgary Hyundai off barlow trail. They have been around for many many years and most of the service staff has stayed the same.

The people running it are far from new, I wonder if there's something missing in this story.

Usually as far as prices go, larger lots mean larger inventory and more price sway. I always suggest buying from the big boys but keep your wits about you during the process.

Hopefully they resolve this, I really like the dealership so far.

MGCM
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Anyone know if that's the Louie that worked at Calgary Hyundai? If it is I also dealt with him briefly there and had good experience with him.

i can confirm this, same guy, great guy, if I ever buy a gen coupe he's the first person i will speak with.

Velostabile
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
You would think a dealership that is new would be doing their best to make sure they create a good reputation?

Guess they never read a book on marketing.

I won't be going there again. But I will buy, and suggest, Hyundai to others. The car is fantastic. It's just the morons working on it that aren't.

The sad thing is, I could have just fixed it myself. Would have rather fixed it myself. But touching ANYTHING these days voids the warranty.

Also, how could they not find the problem in one second? Did their scanner not throw a P0245 code? I hate the "let's rip everything apart until the problem goes away" approach.