PDA

View Full Version : Driving instructor help

GingeRRRBeef
11-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought a new WRX and even though the wife isn't going to be driving it. She will need to know how to drive a manual in case of emergencies.

I was hoping you guys can recommend a driving instructor that teaches stick shifts?

NoMoreG35
11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Why don't you just teach her yourself?

Sugarphreak
11-07-2013, 08:21 PM

GingeRRRBeef
11-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Why don't you just teach her yourself?

Because I'm not planning on upgrading to a stage 2 clutch so soon

xnvy
11-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

Because I'm not planning on upgrading to a stage 2 clutch so soon :rofl:

revelations
11-08-2013, 01:07 AM

Even my wife got that joke ! :rofl:

fiveowed
11-08-2013, 02:29 AM
is it possible to rent a 5spd car for the day and teach her?

BokCh0y
11-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Haha gold. :rofl:

I bought a beater civic to teach my kid - $300 bucks.

clem24
11-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Just do it.. I taught my wife manual in the MR2 and she hated it. But really, maybe a few rough starts won't damage or really show any wear at all. It took my wife about 3 tries before she got the starts. Big fucking whoop. Plus the fact that she's actually driving the car that she needs to drive will make a huge diff when she actually goes to drive it since just about every manual car has a different clutch feel, resistance, friction point, etc.. Heck Reverse gear will probably be in a different spot.

But the thing is.. I find if you don't give a shit about driving manual, it takes a least 1-2 months of straight daily driving to actually get comfortable with it. As it stands, my wife has only driven manual a handful of times, and she just has no interest in learning. I guess what I am saying is that even after teaching her drive manual, unless she constantly drives it, it's more than likely that she would never touch the car, even in a so called emergency. They're not stupid; they'll just find alternatives. So really, the conclusion of the story is, you're just wasting your time... :D

mikemikemike222
11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I taught the girlfriend on a simple trick, keep the RPMs steady at 2000 while releasing the clutch, she got it within a half hour.

although just learning and actually driving in the city are two totally different things, you have two more things you need to worry about, the clutch and shifting gears..

Supa Dexta
11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
If any of you wanna lend me your car and your wife just let me know and Ill take them out for a ride.

triplep
11-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Just take two cars to some remote place in the woods, while your wife is not looking grab the car she came in. She will be left in the middle of the woods with a manual. You bet your ass she will learn how to drive stick....

bart
11-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by mikemikemike222
I taught the girlfriend on a simple trick, keep the RPMs steady at 2000 while releasing the clutch, she got it within a half hour.

not sure thats a trick, more like clutch glazing ;)

1200 should be the max anyone ever needs

5000 when launching awd, but then you drop it like its hot haha