PDA

View Full Version : Gas service line size?

CapnCrunch
11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know what the average gas service pipe size is in the city?

I'm going to be installing my garage heater soon, and I'm wondering if I'll have enough gas to fuel everything in my house?

I've got a gas furnace and water heater, but I've also added a gas stove, and now possibly this garage furnace. I'm sure there will be times when all 4 are running full blast at the same time, and I'm wondering if my gas service will be able to keep up?

For example: Over the holidays it drops to -20, both furnaces are fired up, we've got a turkey in the oven, a couple burners on the stove top going, and someone's taking a hot shower.

Am I worried about nothing? Am I going to kill my whole family?

sputnik
11-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Your service line size is based on the total maximum BTU potential in the house.

So you need to factor in your gas burning appliances (HWT, furnace, dryer, stovetop, oven, fireplace, BBQ). Add of the BTU together and that will determine the size of main line required for your house.

The length of the line from the meter is also a factor but not as much as diameter for most homes.

As a reference 20ft of 1" pipe will handle about 400,000 BTU at 3/4" it drops to 200,000 BTU.

You can find charts on the internet that will give your more accurate specs.

Waldi
11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Most likely it will be PE 1 1/4 " line going to your house