PDA

View Full Version : Camp Job?

weezy00
11-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Would you work a 7/7 or 14/14 for 50k more a year?

btimbit
11-09-2013, 01:44 AM
At the moment I definitely would. Be nice to get out of town for a while. But I also go through spurts where for a few months I want to do nothing but put my head down and earn.

Darkane
11-09-2013, 03:15 AM
Fucking rights. Camp can be pretty awesome

a61z
11-09-2013, 05:58 AM
camp life is definitely not for everyone. depends a lot on the camp as well... can be huge differences.

msommers
11-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Depends. Are you going from 50k->100k or 200k->250k?

HuMz
11-09-2013, 06:58 AM
I would, that's a pretty gravy shift.

HuMz
11-09-2013, 06:59 AM
I should add that's assuming they fly you up and its a decent camp.

HiTempguy1
11-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by HuMz
I should add that's assuming they fly you up and its a decent camp.

Exactly. Plus no, I wouldn't.

There are two types of people really; those who don't care about missing family events/special occassions/time with friends and those that do. At the end of the day most people work a schedule where their time to do somethingis for a hour or two in the evening of a weekeday, or a Friday or Saturday night. I hate it when it's the middle of the week and some friends end up not being busy and say "hey, lets go have some beer and hotwings tonight!" and guess what? You're in fucking camp, freezing your bag off up north.

Also, consider that you'll be getting paid for a 12 hour shift. What about the time you spend traveling too and from camp and site? what about the fact thatat minimum one full day of your time (unpaid) is spent traveling from where you live to site?

At the end of the day, you get paid that extra $50k not because the job is worse or harder, but because you are actually working much more of the time. And if you aren't good with money, you get stuck in a never ending cycle of NEEDING to work up there to afford the expensive lifestyle you've become accustomed to.

And finally, anyone who thinks they can raise a family while working weeks at a time away from home need their heads checked Imo.

The BMW Guy
11-09-2013, 09:06 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't do it forever, but right now it could really help out the wife and I in getting a home to raise the little one. Once that is in place though...i'd rather spend time with them.

ExtraSlow
11-09-2013, 09:16 AM
For people who haven't started a family, this is an awesome deal. If you are dedicated, these kind of jobs also allow enough free time to do something like an online MBA, or other academic upgrading.

Some camps have awesome gyms, and guys get in awesome shape.

For someone with young kids, I do not recommend it. Most of the time it ends in family dysfunction and divorce. I'd have to make that extra $50k/year for a lot of years to pay off the house my wife would get in the divorce.

I know guys who do it successfully, but AFAIK, they are the exception, and not the rule.

..*JDM Hatch*..
11-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't do it forever, but right now it could really help out the wife and I in getting a home to raise the little one. Once that is in place though...i'd rather spend time with them.

Easier said than done, chances are after a few months you would either A: come home to her fuckin someone else or B: an empty house.
It's not easy to go up there while having a family to raise.This happens to more guys than you think.

CompletelyNumb
11-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I'd even be willing to throw out a made up statistic here that 80% of the guys over 30 I've worked with in camp have been divorced. It happens more than often.

Do it while you're young if it's a good way to make the money. Just don't forget to have a life too. Camp is tough.

bitteeinbit
11-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I applied for a job as a train conductor for CN. Worst job ever. Essentially, you're always on call (2 hours notice) for your whole career. So despite it not being a camp job, it's probably worst than a camp job. I walked out of there ASAP, lol. Myself being single, I LOVE camp-style jobs. I like being somewhere secluded for a while and making big bucks. No need to think about much, just work. Life is simple. But as others have said, it's only something you can do temporarily. Do it too long and next thing you know you'll either:
A) Have no life. Work will be your only life
or
B) The life you HAD will be gone (divorce, no friends etc.)

If you're young and single, then I'd say it's worth it, but only for a set amount of time. Say 1-5 years. Otherwise, screw it. Quality of life is more important. That being said, at the moment I'd kill for a camp-style job as I'm highly motivated to make money.

danno
11-10-2013, 09:06 AM
For the guys that do it how hard is it to come back to a 80k a year job instead of 150k. I've seen a few guys that can't come back and make regular money because they think they deserve more.

If your good with money I'd go up north for 5 years max, buy a house with the cash then focus on relationships with friends and start a family. Life is to short and only goes by faster as you get older to worry about money.

weezy00
11-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Reason I am considering it, is because I currently wake up at 5 and don't get home until 8pm at the earliest. It is a long day.

msommers it would be 140K->200K

Redlined_8000
11-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by weezy00
Reason I am considering it, is because I currently wake up at 5 and don't get home until 8pm at the earliest. It is a long day.

msommers it would be 140K->200K

If you are currently not married I would say go for it! People seem to be scared of camp but as long as you are smart about your money you will not become dependant on it. You can work there for a couple of years or however long you want and come back to Calgary and find a job. No harm in trying it I think.

Whats your job if you dont mind sharing?

r3ccOs
11-10-2013, 11:24 AM
what is the lure of working a camp job? It seems the same people who crew a rig, or a site often work trades, if they are not working the patch.

Is the "Pay" much better than doing a trade in the City? Are the rates really that high?

I mean I get making $150k a year, but I still would rather do that, working m-f 40hrs a week instead?

kaput
11-10-2013, 11:45 AM

FraserB
11-10-2013, 02:32 PM
7/7 sucks, just because of the way the averages for OT work out. 10/4 is where the $$$ is at.

lellowrx7
11-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Camp life isn't terrible.
If you think about it like this,

Your food is made for you, transportation is free and takes a couple minutes. all you do is work 12 hours during the day or night (shift defendant) and then go back to camp. Watch some tv, hit a gym, get some sleep.

When you work 12 hours in the city, you wake up early to drive to work. You work your 12 hours. Now tired, you have to drive home. When you get home you need to cook yourself dinner, prep yourself for the next day, i.e. making lunch, so on and so forth. maybe you like to go to the gym, that takes much more time then walking down a hallway or some stairs.

For putting up with working 14-24 days in a row or whatever your rotation is, the time off following feels really nice. i much prefer 7 days off in a row than 1-2 days on a weekend.

When your at work you don't spend money. unless your an online shopper but even then how much can you piss away?

If your the type of person that can handle being away from your regular social circles for periods of time, and you've got no responsibilities to attend to at home, fuck it makes the $.

SKR
11-10-2013, 03:14 PM
If your chick wants to fuck someone else, she will. It doesn't matter if you're working in town or not.

I love working away from home, but I hate camp. I usually stay in hotels. Fuck having set meal times and sharing bathrooms. The last camp I was in there was one bathroom for every two rooms, and they were between the two rooms. Everything was so small your neighbor was basically shitting right next to you. I would hate working in an office, but I still need more distance than what camp provides. At least when you're working in town you go home to your own house and can eat whatever you want, whenever you want, and you don't have some ghoul ruining the porcelain right beside your bed.

r3ccOs
11-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
Camp life isn't terrible.
If you think about it like this,

Your food is made for you, transportation is free and takes a couple minutes. all you do is work 12 hours during the day or night (shift defendant) and then go back to camp. Watch some tv, hit a gym, get some sleep.

When you work 12 hours in the city, you wake up early to drive to work. You work your 12 hours. Now tired, you have to drive home. When you get home you need to cook yourself dinner, prep yourself for the next day, i.e. making lunch, so on and so forth. maybe you like to go to the gym, that takes much more time then walking down a hallway or some stairs.

For putting up with working 14-24 days in a row or whatever your rotation is, the time off following feels really nice. i much prefer 7 days off in a row than 1-2 days on a weekend.

When your at work you don't spend money. unless your an online shopper but even then how much can you piss away?

If your the type of person that can handle being away from your regular social circles for periods of time, and you've got no responsibilities to attend to at home, fuck it makes the $.

who works 12 hours in the City routinely?

silvia_s13
11-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
7/7 sucks, just because of the way the averages for OT work out. 10/4 is where the $$$ is at.

14/7, 12hr/days is the best but it all boils down to personal priorities. 10/4 has way to many downfalls for me. Yes you make more per year but you also work an extra 17 days a year and it ends up earning less per hour. Plus you travel every week and its probably going to be your time. If you live in the city or if you have a family, i can see the whole "back every other weekend" with a 10/4 but I dont really care what day of the week i have off because right now I dont have a family of my own.

Everyone who has said do it for 1-5 years mid 20s early 30s is bang on. I have been doing the whole working out of town for the past 2 years. Started off making $20/hr and in 6 months was making double. (Prove yourself and seize opportunities because there are lots up there). I always preform a 6 month evaluation of where i am and where i want to be and switch up whatever it is so I can be and live happy. Now instead of living in Edmonton and working in Fort Mac, I live in Canmore and work in Kitimat, BC two of the most amazing places around. Soon enough this dream im living will end and I will most likely be back to the city, supporting a family and paying for a mortgage but who knows. Some guys can make the whole family and work out of town thing.

Like i said before, it boils down to priorities. don't forget that lots of guys work 12 hours 6 days a week in the city....so how much time do they really get to see their family. A couple hours a night? Some guys like and can make the week off work better. They make enough so the wife doesnt have to work and for the week off dad gets to pickup his kid from school. No daycare while mom is at work. Ive even heard of guys pulling their kid out of school for a day while they are home. Just be smart about it if you do go up.

leftwing
11-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I think it all depends on the person and situation. Obviously part of the higher pay is the sacrifice that is being made by living in these secluded towns, away from family and life. If you can handle being away it seems like an awesome opportunity.

Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..
Easier said than done, chances are after a few months you would either A: come home to her fuckin someone else or B: an empty house.
It's not easy to go up there while having a family to raise.This happens to more guys than you think.

If she's gonna cheat, she's gonna cheat regardless. You sound pretty jaded and insecure. Im sure most guys who have a girl will talk to her first about taking this kind of job.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Also, consider that you'll be getting paid for a 12 hour shift. What about the time you spend traveling too and from camp and site? what about the fact thatat minimum one full day of your time (unpaid) is spent traveling from where you live to site?

Do you really spend at least a full day travelling? A flight from YYC to Ft. Mac is just over an hour. Driving is under 8 hours....

I have never done shift work, but I am planning on entering an industry that will require shift work. On the surface a 7/7 schedule seems pretty awesome. I think about it like this:

You know you will be working for 7 days straight, you can get in the mindset of just working and that is all you will be doing. If you get lucky and like the guys your working with, that makes it even better. Then when your on off days, you have 7 days to do whatever you want. You can run errands during the days when everyone else is working, you don't have to deal with traffic, you can go on little trips etc. Your working half of the year and making 200k.... For me the pros largely outweigh the cons.

Kavy
11-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by SKR
If your chick wants to fuck someone else, she will. It doesn't matter if you're working in town or not.

You're honestly saying there is no better chance of your "chick" moving onto someone else whether you are here or not?

Originally posted by leftwing
If she's gonna cheat, she's gonna cheat regardless. You sound pretty jaded and insecure.

How do you figure?
you must have had some real bad experiences, Ever stop and think that they cheat because your at fault?

leftwing
11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

I would imagine someone would have to be a special kind of fuckface for this to be the case.

You're honestly saying there is no better chance of your "chick" moving onto someone else whether you are here or not?

Why are you with your girl if you don't trust her? Im not sure if your basing this on a 3 month high school relationship or a long term adult relationship, but if I thought my girl would move on, or fuck someone else after not seeing me for a week or two I wouldn't be with her.

Kavy
11-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Why are you with your girl if you don't trust her? Im not sure if your basing this on a 3 month high school relationship or a long term adult relationship, but if I thought my girl would move on, or fuck someone else after not seeing me for a week or two I wouldn't be with her.

I mentioned nothing about trust Im just saying a comment like "If she's gonna cheat, she's gonna cheat regardless" is ridiculous.

SKR
11-10-2013, 05:14 PM

I would imagine someone would have to be a special kind of fuckface for this to be the case.

I'm saying if the only thing keeping her with you is the fact that you're home every night, is that any way to live? Because if she's doing it when you're gone, she's at least thinking it while you're there.

I can't imagine being with someone where I felt like I couldn't do certain things because I thought she might cheat on me. I would just let her go. I wouldn't try to protect it.

Edit:

I mentioned nothing about trust Im just saying a comment like "If she's gonna cheat, she's gonna cheat regardless" is ridiculous.

That's not what I said. I said if she wants to, she will. Cheating isn't exclusive to couples where one person works out of town. If you don't have the commitment to each other to not cheat when you're apart, you don't have it when you're together either.

flipstah
11-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Exactly. Plus no, I wouldn't.

There are two types of people really; those who don't care about missing family events/special occassions/time with friends and those that do. At the end of the day most people work a schedule where their time to do somethingis for a hour or two in the evening of a weekeday, or a Friday or Saturday night. I hate it when it's the middle of the week and some friends end up not being busy and say "hey, lets go have some beer and hotwings tonight!" and guess what? You're in fucking camp, freezing your bag off up north.

At the end of the day, you get paid that extra $50k not because the job is worse or harder, but because you are actually working much more of the time. And if you aren't good with money, you get stuck in a never ending cycle of NEEDING to work up there to afford the expensive lifestyle you've become accustomed to.

And finally, anyone who thinks they can raise a family while working weeks at a time away from home need their heads checked Imo.

QFT.

I've done the camp life and while the food is endless, accommodations were excellent, the concept wore me out quickly.

I made a lot of cash but didn't have time to enjoy it because I was catching up on sleep on my days off. I also missed a lot of gatherings which drained a lot on me mentally.

12 hour shifts weren't fun and sometimes that was the minimum, especially on month-end.

I loved the people I worked with but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Now I did 10/4 but if I was offered 7/7, I still wouldn't do it.

I will say this though: if you want to be the best that you can be in the O&G, you NEED to do field work just to know what these boys go through.

msommers
11-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
what is the lure of working a camp job? It seems the same people who crew a rig, or a site often work trades, if they are not working the patch.

Is the "Pay" much better than doing a trade in the City? Are the rates really that high?

I was working as an industrial electrician before I went back to University and I can tell you the pay really is that much more. The wage is not only higher but the amount of OT is much higher.

I'm still doing field work in a different position but the working/living environment is quite a bit different as well. I basically have a small apartment on location where I cook for myself and have my own livingroom, bathroom etc so it's not the same; aside from working out of town of course.

I truthfully don't think I could do a camp job again unless it was at a pretty high-end one where I had my own space. It's mostly cooking for myself. Who knows where the hell they get their food from but if it's like anything in the oil patch, if it can be done for cheaper it usually will be.

Originally posted by lellowrx7

As someone who is on the computer all day, you'd be surprised (or disappointed, I can't decide!). Sometimes it's like Christmas when I get home :rofl:

CompletelyNumb
11-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Hahaha yeah, going from the rig to the directional shack drastically raised my online spending habits.

Darkane
11-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Camp with good food (which most are) is trouble sometimes lol.

I had prime rib, 3 baked salmon fillets and a lamb chop post workout today.

Probably 100$ plate at a restaurant. Hahah.

Maxt
11-11-2013, 08:43 AM

who works 12 hours in the City routinely?
I do... But I still get home to see the family every day.

davidI
11-11-2013, 08:56 AM
I love working in a Camp. We have our own trailers, good food, and it's easy to get a in a gym routine. The money is great and if you get rid of your place then expenses are low.

Why not do 14/14 and fly in/out of somewhere in the US or Central America during the winter?

As others have mentioned, a lot depends on the type of person you are and your family situation though - it's certainly not for everyone.

Oddly, most guys I work with had great relationships while they were at camp 6+ months/year and got divorced when they eventually moved back home full time.

CompletelyNumb
11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Oddly, most guys I work with had great relationships while they were at camp 6+ months/year and got divorced when they eventually moved back home full time.

That's because the relationships weren't great, just easy to fake since theyre gone for so long.

Agree with you on the travel part though. If you're young and single, so it. I did. Loved it.

weezy00
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

I do... But I still get home to see the family every day.

For how long? For me it would be 1-2 hours.

Supa Dexta
11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
But if you are single and take a camp job it makes it nearly impossible to meet a *good* girl to start a relationship with. No problem meeting skanks and money grabbers, but very hard to meet a great girl and forge a relationship worth while. Although I have no sort of set schedule, so it makes it that much tougher. Girls dont like to hear you never know when you'll be home again. :dunno:

r3ccOs
11-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
But if you are single and take a camp job it makes it nearly impossible to meet a *good* girl to start a relationship with. No problem meeting skanks and money grabbers, but very hard to meet a great girl and forge a relationship worth while. Although I have no sort of set schedule, so it makes it that much tougher. Girls dont like to hear you never know when you'll be home again. :dunno:

my neighbor behind me met his his "other half" a few years ago at Ceile's as she used to waitress there.

He bought a house for her, as he knocked her up and he worked 7/7, right up to the point where she had a baby and then moved on to 10/4.

Being that houses these days are so close together, I have seen a few guys walking down his stair case, open up the fridge and grab a beer, and make themselves comfortable in front of the TV while in their boxers.

Followed by the "significant" other in just a bathrobe thereafter.

I've wanted to say something, but really... its not my business :)

I guess you reap what you sow?

Maxt
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by weezy00

For how long? For me it would be 1-2 hours.
I get 3-4 hours in every day.

Maxt
11-11-2013, 04:56 PM

my neighbor behind me met his his "other half" a few years ago at Ceile's as she used to waitress there.

He bought a house for her, as he knocked her up and he worked 7/7, right up to the point where she had a baby and then moved on to 10/4.

Being that houses these days are so close together, I have seen a few guys walking down his stair case, open up the fridge and grab a beer, and make themselves comfortable in front of the TV while in their boxers.

Followed by the "significant" other in just a bathrobe thereafter.

I've wanted to say something, but really... its not my business :)

I guess you reap what you sow?
Could you google map that for us. :thumbsup: J/king...;)

01RedDX
11-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Supa Dexta
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
In all fairness I stay at buddies homes now and then and help their wives out with 'husband jobs' all non-sexual, but Im probably rare in that I'd never mess with a buddies woman. Just stuff I can help them with on days off, cause my friends are still out at work, and their wife is home with small kids. I know I've been the talk of some neighbourhoods, but whatever. Im handy and good with kids, and I like to stay busy.

...and maybe I just like to drink beer in my boxers :poosie:

03ozwhip
11-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Alright, my story..I have been working up north and staying at camp for almost 6 months, with a completely different career than what I was originally doing.

I'm 33, married, with a 4 1/2 year old. I did this drastic change for one reason only. My family.

This was something my wife and I talked about for about 2 years before I ended up taking the leap of faith on the oilfield. This was and still is the best decision I have made for my family.

I'm on a 9/5 rotation and it's a pretty nice shift as I get to see my family and friends every second weekend. Of course I miss events and I miss my kid doing things and it sucks, but for now and the next few years, I'm going to continue with it.

sometimes you have to make sacrifices for your family, I did it so my wife can stay at home and raise the kid and not work. This isn't a forever type thing but it will definitely be a few years.

one thing I can tell you is that if you have trust issues, it won't last, either you will find another job, or another wife.

revelations
11-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Anyone done contract IT support at a camp? I've found a couple of options .... not sure if worth the $$ though.

carson blocks
11-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Anyone done contract IT support at a camp? I've found a couple of options .... not sure if worth the $$ though.

Supporting generic IT for the camp or process control at site? I do the latter at various sites up north. Usually 1-3 weeks at a time, sometimes in camp, sometimes in hotels.

davidI
11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Why is that odd? They need to get back home to find out what she'd been up while they were away.

That's not the issue. In most cases it's easier for a relationship to become "part time" but harder to move back to it being "full time".

People tend to look at the job only from the perspective of the initial difficulty in moving away. I don't think many think about how hard it can be to adjust to that lifestyle and then eventually have to move back.

I for one never want to work a regular 3-6 week of holiday / year salary type job again.

revelations
11-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Supporting generic IT for the camp or process control at site? I do the latter at various sites up north. Usually 1-3 weeks at a time, sometimes in camp, sometimes in hotels.

The contract I was looking at was for 6 months and it was all over the place - but not process control to my knowledge - more like general IT. Everything from smart phones to VPN setup.

Just wondering if there are options for contractors for IT right now - or if the market is saturated right now up there.

carson blocks
11-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Just wondering if there are options for contractors for IT right now - or if the market is saturated right now up there.

I don't know as much about the general IT side, but I think there are lots of options right now. I get calls at least every couple weeks from some headhunter trying to lure me to some other O&G company.

HiTempguy1
11-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Do you really spend at least a full day travelling? A flight from YYC to Ft. Mac is just over an hour. Driving is under 8 hours....

Yea, the flight is. How about getting to the airport? Parking? Boarding? Etc. I fly 30+ times per year and get paid while doing it (only way I'd ever travel for a company unless I was salary earning dolla dolla billz). I only live ~15 minutes from the Edmonton airport, but it doesn't matter. The "1 hour flight" takes about 3 hours and that only gets you to the fort mac airport. Then you have to drive close to another hour to get to the closest sites (Syncrude for instance).

In the case of KEARL, you may be charter, which is quicker (2 hours from airport to airport) but then you have to bus for close to another hour and that only gets you to camp. I just finished working a whole bunch of 18 hour days (that is time spent not at camp in my situation). So in 6 hours, I had to get food (guess what?! dining room isn't open all the time, have fun on your empty stomach!), sleep, get up and get ready for the next day.

If you've never been, it's hard to understand. Also, its not like at home where you just don't care about work once you get back to camp. If you aren't somebody at the bottom of the totem pole (no offense, but there are lots of tradesmen who are told what to do and they do it, not much thinking beyond that required), then you are planning shit the next day, filing reports in your downtime, getting phone calls at 2am in the morning etc etc.

But if you are single and take a camp job it makes it nearly impossible to meet a *good* girl to start a relationship with. No problem meeting skanks and money grabbers, but very hard to meet a great girl and forge a relationship worth while.

Yep. And at the end of the day, "most" relationships are built on the fact of you being there for someone. Being gone for 2 weeks at a time isn't really that IMO, most people need a bit more face to face affection time then that (I certainly do, not going to lie, I'm man enough to admit it).

bjstare
11-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Yea, the flight is. How about getting to the airport? Parking? Boarding? Etc. I fly 30+ times per year and get paid while doing it (only way I'd ever travel for a company unless I was salary earning dolla dolla billz). I only live ~15 minutes from the Edmonton airport, but it doesn't matter. The "1 hour flight" takes about 3 hours and that only gets you to the fort mac airport. Then you have to drive close to another hour to get to the closest sites (Syncrude for instance).

In the case of KEARL, you may be charter, which is quicker (2 hours from airport to airport) but then you have to bus for close to another hour and that only gets you to camp. I just finished working a whole bunch of 18 hour days (that is time spent not at camp in my situation). So in 6 hours, I had to get food (guess what?! dining room isn't open all the time, have fun on your empty stomach!), sleep, get up and get ready for the next day.

If you've never been, it's hard to understand. Also, its not like at home where you just don't care about work once you get back to camp. If you aren't somebody at the bottom of the totem pole (no offense, but there are lots of tradesmen who are told what to do and they do it, not much thinking beyond that required), then you are planning shit the next day, filing reports in your downtime, getting phone calls at 2am in the morning etc etc.

Yep. And at the end of the day, "most" relationships are built on the fact of you being there for someone. Being gone for 2 weeks at a time isn't really that IMO, most people need a bit more face to face affection time then that (I certainly do, not going to lie, I'm man enough to admit it).

I pretty much agree with this whole post. Sounds like a similar experience to what I'm used to.

Only exception being, the last camp I was at was very nice (in terms of camps) - more like a hotel. Kitchen was open 24/7, so even if you missed hot meals, you could still get sandwiches/fruit/snacks/dessert/leftovers.:)