PDA

View Full Version : New vehicles being stolen

jcox20
11-09-2013, 01:47 AM
Hey everyone

I noticed someone had their 2013 Scion stolen recently and was wondering how these cars with chipped keys actually get stolen.

Not looking to find out to steal cars but just curious as I recently installed a remote starter in my car and I mean its fairly tedious to connect bypasses and the like to have a car run without the key legally.

Anyway just curious if anyone has any insight or do people just generally leave an extra key in their car?

EK69
11-09-2013, 01:59 AM
Lol I was wondering the same thing reading the scion thread.
I doubt it's ppl leaving a key in the car (like the old remote starter days, now u use the bypass module to overcome that) so I have no clue how it's done :dunno:

AE92_TreunoSC
11-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Most car thefts are from cars being left running. Key in ignition.

Even with a car starter using a modern bypass you cannot start the car by "hot wiring it" The bypass only lets the starter start the vehicle with limited functionality. The key still needs to be in the vehicle.

It's nearly impossible to steal a car without a key now. Some cars you can swap in a BCM with a key hack but manufacturers have corrected that long ago.

Tow trucks work too.

01RedDX
11-09-2013, 02:24 AM

jcox20
11-09-2013, 03:45 AM
Yeah I assumed most people that have a newer car stolen just leave it running when it's cold..

I read this article today and it is pretty interesting how the insurance companies in the states handle these things

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey.html

bourge73
11-09-2013, 08:58 AM
So just wondering keys in and running
Insurance covers or...?

blairtruck
11-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
Insurance covers or...?
i had my work truck stolen in 2007 with keys in ignition. insurance covered it.

Isaiah
11-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jcox20
Yeah I assumed most people that have a newer car stolen just leave it running when it's cold..

I read this article today and it is pretty interesting how the insurance companies in the states handle these things

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey.html
If that article is true, the American insurance racket is operating above the law with total impunity. The entire premise of the insurance industry deteriorates when insurance companies can deny legitimate auto theft claims based on a misguided faith in a hackable system.

bart
11-09-2013, 10:01 AM
even the newest cars can be stolen esp the ones with "advanced" keys, just buy a blank from dealer, break into car, program it, and off you go

in europe if you get your car stolen with its registration papers, you don't get any insurance payout

kVmPfCFFkqQ

WGsWCdg3fQU

AE92_TreunoSC
11-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Ive never programmed german keys but modern Japanese keys require an encrypted code from the manufacturer which can only be sent from a dealership using a technicians log in.

Nissan made big strides in regards to this. Toyota can be a huge pain in the ass as well. Which is good.

pheoxs
11-09-2013, 01:03 PM
All this protection goes out the window when people leave the valet key in the glove box...

FraserB
11-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Insurance covers or...?

Who would tell their insurance company they left their car running with the keys in it when they made the claim?

zieg
11-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Who would tell their insurance company they left their car running with the keys in it when they made the claim?

Don't they ask? What if you said no, and then the thing turns up abandoned... with the key in it. That would be tough to explain away..

bourge73
11-09-2013, 03:14 PM
^^exactly

bignerd
11-09-2013, 10:44 PM
But if your car is stolen they ask you about 50 different times and 50 different ways about the keys and where they are kept and how many there are and who has access to them...

theken
11-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Having your keys in it shouldn't matter. It's still stolen regardless. It's not their property, and if they are caught with it even with the keys it's a crime.

zieg
11-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Of course it is. We are talking about insurance payouts.

Masked Bandit
11-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Insurance covers or...?

Yes.

theken
11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
Of course it is. We are talking about insurance payouts. thats what I am saying, it is still stolen, doesn't matter if keys are in it…...

ercchry
11-11-2013, 09:50 AM
its pretty easy to steal any car... with a flat deck :nut:

BokCh0y
11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Ive never programmed german keys but modern Japanese keys require an encrypted code from the manufacturer which can only be sent from a dealership using a technicians log in.

Nissan made big strides in regards to this. Toyota can be a huge pain in the ass as well. Which is good.

This is soooo true. Huge PITA and costly if you're trying to have new keys programmed haha. But good security I guess.

I didn't see an update in the Scion thread, but did the OP post how it was jacked? Wonder if he just left it running, came out and it was gone? Then the thieves drove it around and then shut it off and that it?

Lex350
11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

This is soooo true. Huge PITA and costly if you're trying to have new keys programmed haha. But good security I guess.

I didn't see an update in the Scion thread, but did the OP post how it was jacked? Wonder if he just left it running, came out and it was gone? Then the thieves drove it around and then shut it off and that it?

Yup I learned the hard way with my Lexus. I lost my only key fob in a Taxi coming home drunk one night. I had to have the car towed to the dealership and get a new fob/programming from them......total for towing and fob just under 6 bills!!! FML

That was an expensive drunk.

spikerS
11-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I was always under the impression that if you left your keys in the car, or left it running and it got stolen, the insurance company would automatically deny your claim because you "enabled" the thief, or did not secure your property.

Apparently, if you want your car stolen, park it in long term parking at the airport.