PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pho Hoan Pasteur

phreezee
11-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Another pho place for the NW by Royal Oak.

Pho broth was decent and the food came out relatively quick even though lots of people were coming in for their grand opening. Staff was friendly and service was prompt.

Pricing was good for a Vietnamese place considering it's not in Forest Lawn (cheap) and not in downtown (higher)... a happy medium.

My only real complaint was that the bubble teas only came to the table after I was done eating. They need a second blender.

Taste of Saigon is probably going out of business :rofl:

Food: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Pricing: 4/5

EDIT: Updated ratings:

I'm downgrading this place to a 6/10
Food: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Pricing: 3/5

Pricing seems up and portioning has gone down. 1/3 of a beef ball in a XL Pho Dac Biet WTF.

K3RMiTdot
11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
do they have sizes? S L XL?

phreezee
11-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah, SM $7.68, Lg $8.50, XL $11.00. I was satisfied with a Lg.

phreezee
11-09-2013, 07:58 PM
One cool thing was they have a Kid's Meal for $5.50 with a can of pop.

lilmira
11-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Cool! I'll have to check it out. It's nice to have a pho place within walking distance. :)

bourge73
11-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Is this a white review or are you a Viet? (Trusted lol)

schocker
11-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
I tell an asian guy at the office, this sushi place nearby is awesome. He tries it, he says it is gross and will never trust me again :rofl:

Is this in that new area by the tims? I think there is one over by smashburger called taste of saigon that was from silver springs?

That.Guy.S30
11-09-2013, 10:10 PM
yea its right across from the 5guys/timmys in the royal oak complex.

phreezee
11-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by bourge73

Haha, this isn't a glowing review, but the scores reflect its competition in the NW so it's slightly higher. My favorite places are still on 17th SE.

rage2
11-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Sweet will have to give it a try. On another note, Zipang #2 is opening in that same complex! :drool:

lilmira
11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Sweet will have to give it a try. On another note, Zipang #2 is opening in that same complex! :drool:

Oh what! Don't shit me.

Decent pho, japanese, earls, suburb for the win!

schocker
11-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Oh what! Don't shit me.

Decent pho, japanese, earls, suburb for the win!
Earls, where is earls.
Is ceilis open yet?

lilmira
11-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Dont think Earls is open yet but it's in the same block.
Not sure if Ceilis is open.

With the rec centre in the near future, I love this area.

schocker
11-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Here right now can't see the earls. Is it over by that mad rose pub?

Will give review later (White)

lilmira
11-10-2013, 07:06 PM
It's probably not open yet but it should be in there in the same block behind Sobey's. I remember seeing it unless I was hallucinating lol.

schocker
11-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Totally didn't see it, maybe it is hiding somewhere else or maybe you were high :rofl:

I enjoyed pho hoan though, broth on the pho was good, got the steak and something pho and it was tasty, service was good, everything was nice and clean, free tea was nice and a fair sized restaurant.

prosh
11-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Is it going to be called Zipang or is it Sushi Roku?

rage2
11-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Sushi roku. Same owner.

schocker
11-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Sushi roku. Same owner.
I was so confused wondering how there would be two sushi places in the same building. That area is a huge competitive parking lot though
Smashburger Vs Five Guys
Pho Haun vs Taste of Saigon
Madrose Pub Vs Ceilis Vs The Rock whatever

Lex350
11-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Cool...can never have too many Viet places near home.

I heard that Ceili's soft opening is tonight. The place is all finished on the inside and they were doing training all last week.

lilmira
11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Haha, no earl's. Must have mistaken Ceili's sign. They shared the same three letters. :rofl: No I don't smoke crack cocaine.

Tried pho hoan, it was a little bit slow but no where near as bad as Taste of Saigon when it was first open. Prices are may be a dollar or so more than Ranchland, portion is similar. Taste is not bad at all. Will go back again. :thumbsup: Haven't been to Taste of Saigon ever since, based on that experience, there is no comparison.

Saw the Roku sign but couldn't find where it is from a quick turn around. When is it open?

The Rock has good pizzas but the vibe is more like a family restaurant.

How's Madrose? There is also Blind Monk here. Competition is good for customers.

Wild Wing is terrible. I'd rather get wings from Sobey's lol.

Lex350
11-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Haha, no earl's. Must have mistaken Ceili's sign. They shared the same three letters. :rofl: No I don't smoke crack cocaine.

Tried pho hoan, it was a little bit slow but no where near as bad as Taste of Saigon when it was first open. Prices are may be a dollar or so more than Ranchland, portion is similar. Taste is not bad at all. Will go back again. :thumbsup: Haven't been to Taste of Saigon ever since, based on that experience, there is no comparison.

Saw the Roku sign but couldn't find where it is from a quick turn around. When is it open?

The Rock has good pizzas but the vibe is more like a family restaurant.

How's Madrose? There is also Blind Monk here. Competition is good for customers.

Wild Wing is terrible. I'd rather get wings from Sobey's lol.

The Rock's service is horrible. They hire dropouts right out of school that can't serve worth shit. Takes forever to get a second beer. Too bad, when they first opened up they had quite a bit of “talent” working there. Not anymore.

The Monk is the NW dive bar. I'm still amazed that they managed to renew their lease for another year with not playing employees, not paying the electrical bill or not paying the cable bill. Still......some of the craziest things happen in that place and at the weirdest times...still!

Madrose is run by the same family as originally ran Stavros and Stollos. Their food is pretty good. Pizza is better than the Rock's in my opinion. Nothing bad about the place but nothing exceptional either.

I wonder what happened in respect to Ceili’s patio. They started construction on it and had to halt it because of complaints in relation to the daycare they have on the second level. I’m not sure where this ended up. What I think happened is that the liquor license was granted for the patio and then after the lease for the daycare was approved there was an objection filed…something like that.

lilmira
11-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, my dinning experience at the Rock was not too impressive. For the time they spend on getting the place open, I had high expectation. Hope they improve, I like their pizzas.

I've only been to the Monk a few times, it was ok for a small neighbourhood pub, nothing to complain.

Will have to try Madrose some time. The location is a bit weird even though it's only across the street.

What's wrong with an alcohol serving patio close to a daycare? Parents get drunk while their kids are well supervised. ;)

schocker
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Well maybe ceilis will have some good talent when they open. The daycare thing would be BS though, was looking forward to a nearby patio as the only one by me is BP's. Will try Roku when it opens.

Disoblige
11-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Tried this pho place this afternoon and it was not bad. Grand opening so they're still working things out and service was slow. Broth was good but slightly oily. Noodles were decent as well. I guess it's great for those who live in the area.

suntan
11-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Rock is good for lunch. Going there for dinner is a shit show because it's waaay too busy.

Fuck I love Smashburger. Best chain burger. Their bacon is too salty though.

Taste of Saigon must a front for the Asian Triad because how the hell a bowl of fucking pho takes 45 minutes to come out there can be no other reason.

rage2
12-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Just finished my meal here. By far the best pho restaurant in the NW. Feels like I'm in Forest Lawn, minus the bullets.

Service was excellent. They even gave me the TV remote to turn on the game.

taemo
12-19-2013, 08:12 PM
^any pics of the Pho?
im craving nammer now

schocker
12-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Just finished my meal here. By far the best pho restaurant in the NW. Feels like I'm in Forest Lawn, minus the bullets.

Service was excellent. They even gave me the TV remote to turn on the game.
Since I am white, they never bring me water, only tea. :D

What do you want a picture for taemo, looks like soup :rofl:

lilmira
12-19-2013, 09:20 PM
He posted a pic of a bowl few days ago. Though that was more of personal hygiene than food in nature.

prosh
12-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Ordered take out from here tonight and it was terrible. For starters, it took over 30 minutes just for them to have my food ready to pick up. Got it home and opened up my verm to find that they skimped out on everything (1 spring roll, 1 pc of shrimp paste ball and 1 shrimp). As for my pho, I ordered a large and got a take out bowl that you see in food courts. For the price you pay, you get really bad quantity and the quality was average at best. The meats were shaved extremely thin and there wasn't a lot of it, 1 half of a beef ball and the broth was pretty salty from all the MSG.

Definitely don't see myself going back anytime soon. Luckily, the ranchlands pho place is opened back up in the new year.

schocker
12-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Maybe they just aren't good at take out. Tried it again last night one of the rice ones and I liked it a lot and they brought me water this time!

Does anyone know where to buy those odra polish candies they have though, I like those a lot :rofl:

Lex350
01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
I tried the place again and I can't say I was overly impressed. I like Taste of Saigon better.....I have an excuss for that. I'm white. :D

hampstor
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Tried this place a few days ago - had the bun bo hue.

It came with a reasonable amount of meat given that I ordered a small bowl. I could taste the lemon grass in it, and it was reasonably spicy too. Noodles were perfect. However the base broth was weaker than I normally like and I would've asked for some straight fish sauce had I not been in a rush.

http://i.imgur.com/6ILCB5W.jpg

Ordered hot coffee with the condensed milk - it came out in a hot water bath which kept it warm while I was eating.

It came to just under 12 dollars.

Food: 3.5/5
Pricing: 4/5

lilmira
01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
I had the bun bo hue there, not a big fan. It's spicy but it tasted like they just added some chili oil/paste on top. The broth is too light.

I'm no vietnamese so I don't know what it should look like. This is what I'd prefer.
http://www.amitourist.com/imgtours/hue-bun-bo-hue.jpg
Hmmmm, the knuckle and the blood. :drool:

hampstor
01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
I had the bun bo hue there, not a big fan. It's spicy but it tasted like they just added some chili oil/paste on top. The broth is too light.

The base broth is supposed to be made with pork hocks, beef and pork bones, and lemongrass so there is normally a lot of flavor.

Some restaurants shortcut by using a paste that's made of the spices with lemon grass and oil, and add it to pho broth. You can normally tell because it tastes a bit like pho (the star anise/cloves taste is a dead giveaway).

I didn't taste any star anise/cloves so I don't think Pho Hoan Pasteur shortcuts by using pho broth. It's been a few days, but I remember the flavours were mostly right, it was just weak.

As for the way its supposed to look, should be more like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2588839815_5e7063546b.jpg

Xtrema
01-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
I tried the place again and I can't say I was overly impressed. I like Taste of Saigon better.....I have an excuss for that. I'm white. :D

Only white people are keeping Taste of Saigon and Kim Lan in business. They are by far the worst viet noodle in town. (Along with whatever its name in MacKenzie Lake.)

Have to try this new place out. Drove by last time but it wasn't open yet.

phreezee
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Their Bun Bo Hue is southern style where they make the broth, fry the spices in oil separate and then throw it on top. It's passable.

Song Huong has spoiled us since they are actually from Hue.

z24_wheels
01-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I had the onion cake and beef sate soup. Loved both. Ima whitey though lol. Usually go to Noodle King on work days and love their beef sate.

CRXguy
01-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Only white people are keeping Taste of Saigon and Kim Lan in business. They are by far the worst viet noodle in town. (Along with whatever its name in MacKenzie Lake.)

:werd:

Originally posted by phreezee
Song Huong has spoiled us since they are actually from Hue.

My go to place for BBH. They're spring rolls are pretty damn good too.

schocker
01-04-2014, 05:06 PM
I went again on thursday, tried the whatever meat, could have been pork or chicken, probably chicken with egg on rice. Loved it. I am gai jin though
When is roku opening though, taking foreverrrrr :rofl:

suntan
01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Have to try this new place out. Drove by last time but it wasn't open yet. Meh, Kim Lan is serviceable. I've had worse. Way worse.

rage2
01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Owned by the gf. There are zero veggy dishes at Pho Hoan Pasteur. Ended up going to taste of Saigon. It's like I'm at the Gap. White ppl everywhere!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/21CD870E-33A9-4F38-A6AF-484E929189F0_zps0he194fx.jpg

adamc
01-10-2014, 08:41 PM
beyond's asian crowd is probably best served to STFU about the good noodle places, or us white folk are going to keep invading

prosh
01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Looks like you need an intervention

Owned by the gf. There are zero veggy dishes at Pho Hoan Pasteur. Ended up going to taste of Saigon. It's like I'm at the Gap. White ppl everywhere!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/21CD870E-33A9-4F38-A6AF-484E929189F0_zps0he194fx.jpg

phreezee
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Haha, see how only 2-3 tables actually have food... the rest are waiting their 30+ minutes. :rofl:

lilmira
01-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I see no Jackie Chan there.

rage2
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Ya the wait was brutal. My extra beef Pho didn't come with extra beef. My bubble tea came after my meal was done. Will not go again.

rx7_turbo2
01-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Gave this place a shot tonight (Pho Hoan, not Taste of Saigon). I'm a white guy who ordered like a white guy, salad rolls, beef, chicken, pork vermicelli to go. This white guys verdict? Tastey! I'll be throwing this place into general rotation for the nights my wife has school.

Maxt
01-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I went again on thursday, tried the whatever meat, could have been pork or chicken, probably chicken with egg on rice. Loved it. I am gai jin though
When is roku opening though, taking foreverrrrr :rofl:
I think in this circumstance, you mean hakujin .

Xtrema
01-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Ya the wait was brutal. My extra beef Pho didn't come with extra beef. My bubble tea came after my meal was done. Will not go again.

10 mins before anyone would take order.
15 mins before anyone would bring my salad rolls after asking twice.
Another 10 mins before soup shows up.

They have 3 ladies working the floor but they are all running around trying to do everything and get nothing done.

Food is fine but no good enough to deal with that slow of service.

clem24
01-23-2014, 05:05 PM
So Pho Hoan Pasteur sounds as shitty as the rest of them.

Important thing is, when is Roku Sushi opening?!?!? OMG I can't wait!!!

lilmira
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
They are talking about taste of Saigon. Pho hoan is ok.

Roku may take a while, when I checked during Christmas it looked pretty bare inside.

desto2para
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
I wonder if this one in Calgary is owned by the same owners as the Pho Hoan Pasteur in edmonton. Its good in Edmonton too!

rage2
02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by taemo
^any pics of the Pho?
im craving nammer now
Playing with iMovie during dinner tonight.

YljxjUBbKrw

bourge73
02-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Oh dear god that is funny. And warrant
too nice choice lol

Kloubek
02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't always laugh out loud to things on Beyond, but when I do, I prefer it to be outlandish videos by Rage. That was awesome.

That pho looks legit.

schocker
02-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Fantastic cinematography rage2
I imagine they were wondering wtf is that guy doing with the hot sauce. :rofl:

n1zm0
02-16-2014, 12:24 AM
That was A+

GQBalla
02-16-2014, 02:13 AM
Lol good video. Their pho looks good but god damn 11 bucks for a xl?

I'm too used to the hood prices

rage2
02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
I didn't even pay attention to the price. I won that meal on CCR haha.

clem24
02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Ughhh... Can't believe you put cock sauce and hoisin directly in the pho. Total disgrace.

Kritafo
03-22-2014, 07:17 PM
finally got up the nerve to try Pho Hoan yesterday ...my go to place is always Pho Hoai. I had 32 F which is the bun with chicken, pork, shrimp, meatball, and spring roll. The spring roll was so greasy! It was barely passable has edible. I spit out the meatball as it tasted exactly like a hot dog and I have had chinese sausage... it was a hot dog, my shrimp the one that I got was like rubber. My daughter had the seafood pho, way too salty and full of msg, and not enough noodles, shrimp was like tire rubber. She described it perfectly.... they were exactly like rubber.

I was shocked, we were there at 3 pm and it was packed.

We also had fresh salad rolls with more rubber shrimp, some questionable bean sprouts and iceberg lettuce that had rust all over it. ... nothing in the way of cilantro or mint, the rice wrap was so dried out it was cracking and I was told they had no Sambal ... which I found out was wrong as the table beside us had it.

I would just like one decent place in the NW so I didn't have to go all the way to Chinatown for decent pho.

rage2
03-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Ughhh... Can't believe you put cock sauce and hoisin directly in the pho. Total disgrace.
We were guessing during filming that this would be the first thing someone would bitch about. Surprised it took so long lol.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Why the sexy beverage shots? Now I'm all riled up and feeling ashamed.

JaffX
03-30-2014, 11:37 AM
I tried this place a of couple weeks ago, and damn the service was bad. The restaurant was packed but there was only 2 or 3 people working on the floor. The food took at least 10 minutes to come out, if not longer. Heck, we even got our food before some of the customers that were there before us.

Other than the service, the pho was pretty good, the broth was tasty. But for the prices and the terrible service, I would not go there again.

taemo
03-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Playing with iMovie during dinner tonight.

YljxjUBbKrw

why did I watch that video? now I'm so going for nammer for lunch today :banghead:

rage2
03-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by JaffX
I tried this place a of couple weeks ago, and damn the service was bad. The restaurant was packed but there was only 2 or 3 people working on the floor. The food took at least 10 minutes to come out, if not longer. Heck, we even got our food before some of the customers that were there before us.

Other than the service, the pho was pretty good, the broth was tasty. But for the prices and the terrible service, I would not go there again.
Really? 10 mins is slow? This isn't fast food haha.

schocker
03-30-2014, 10:51 PM
The restaurant isn't that big that 2-3 could handle it as white people don't ever get water.....
10 mins though.....you wait that long at say five guys half the time :rofl:

clem24
03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
On the flip side, it's pho.. Noodles take 10 seconds, the soup is already hot, and the meat is raw LOL.. Although the *ONLY* place I know of that gets this right is Pho Thanh in Huntington; the only pho place that gets you food faster than McD's. All the other Pho places are usually between 5-15 mins. The really bad ones take up to 30.

Disoblige
03-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Yeah, that is my biggest pet peeve at pho places. Pho should be pretty much ready to go. Just assemble. I don't know how it takes over 10 minutes at some of these places.

One time during lunch I waited 30 fucking minutes for pho downtown. What an embarrassment.

lilmira
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd like to send some of you to taste of saigon lol.

I find the service at Pho Hoan to be good, staff is always polite and friendly. Don't forget this is pho, not fine dinning. 5-10 minute wait is nothing, have a conversation with the people at your table. Other guests are ordering food too, the kitchen is not on standby just for you.

JaffX
04-08-2014, 02:02 PM

Really? 10 mins is slow? This isn't fast food haha.

Compared to places like Pho Thanh or any of the other pho places in the NE, even on busy days food comes out in less than 5 mins. So 10 mins is pretty slow IMO.

phreezee
10-30-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm downgrading this place to a 6/10
Food: 3/5
Pricing: 3/5

Pricing seems up and portioning has gone down. 1/3 of a beef ball in a XL Pho Dac Biet WTF.

GQBalla
10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
expensive for pho.

ill keep going to the hood