PDA

View Full Version : Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary?

Pages : [1] 2 3

bosa
11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Hello,

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up in the next few weeks. I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi, with a nice atmosphere for dinner. Romantic and fun. Price isn't really an issue. Please let me know where you have enjoyed or keep going back to.

Also what alcohol goes well with most raw fish?

Thank you in advance to those who reply!

flipstah
11-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Zipang or Wa's come to mind.

Xtrema
11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Wa's has good sushi but that place is far from romantic and fun.

Kinjo is definitely fun but noisy and only has mediocre food.

flipstah
11-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Shikiji has a fancier layout than Wa's (not by much though) but their sushi is so-so. Noodles however... :drool:

dirtsniffer
11-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Zipang is prett nice with great food. Not overly 'fun' though. There is a new fusion place just south of chinook that I have heard is good.

My personal dirty south fave is li-ao in bridlewood. Not expensive, not romantic, but clean and delicious!

n1zm0
11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by bosa

I always think a cold glass/bottle of Asahi makes sushi even better.

spikerS
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
the service sucks balls, but Sho on Macloed trail seems (at least to me) to have pretty good quality.

Take it with a grain of salt though. This is coming from a guy who likes Kinjo, and Macloed trail sushi and BBQ.

Disoblige
11-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by spikers
the service sucks balls, but Sho on Macloed trail seems (at least to me) to have pretty good quality.

Take it with a grain of salt though. This is coming from a guy who likes Kinjo, and Macloed trail sushi and BBQ.
LMAO. Do not take advice from spikers on sushi. No offense to you spikers haha..

taemo
11-12-2013, 02:07 PM
do you like rolls or nigiri sushi?

our favorites are:
Zipang
Shikiji
Towa
Koiji

other than beer, for me cold sake goes well

95EG6P
11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
blowfish is good too and sushi club

spikerS
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

LMAO. Do not take advice from spikers on sushi. No offense to you spikers haha..

Oh dude, none take at all.

I have liked what I have eaten, but I really don't know what to be looking for when going for sushi.

flipstah
11-12-2013, 02:15 PM

I'm sure you're a cool guy but I'd pass on Sho. It looks fancy but I wouldn't go back.

Originally posted by taemo
do you like rolls or nigiri sushi?

our favorites are:
Zipang
Shikiji
Towa
Koiji

other than beer, for me cold sake goes well

Towa gets packed fast and isn't really romantic atmosphere but they're pretty good.

Asahi is pretty delicious, especially on teppanyaki (but there's no good ones here in Calgary that I know of).

89coupe
11-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Hello,

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up in the next few weeks. I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi, with a nice atmosphere for dinner. Romantic and fun. Price isn't really an issue. Please let me know where you have enjoyed or keep going back to.

Thank you in advance to those who reply!

What part of the City do you live in?

n1zm0
11-12-2013, 02:29 PM

I remember my fiancee's sister was raving about this place shortly after their opening calling it an 'awesome sushi experience' and I took it with a grain of salt because she is one of those 'of course I eat sushi, all the time! Except not the raw stuff cause that's disgusting' kind of sushi eaters - so we go there, naturally all (obvious to me at least) Chinese staff, so I am already on the decline as to what i'm expecting to recieve.

You go in there and you get served this 3 item appetizer tray, it has the seasoned nori you get in the rectangles as a snack from T&T or w/e - which is fine, next to that is a bunch of kim-fken-chi and next to that ikan bilis and peanuts (http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/fried-ikan-bilis-and-peanuts), there could not have been a more unauthentic display to being labeled as a 'sushi' restaurant.

So of course in the end I thought the sushi was garbage, would never go back or goto a sushi restaurant which my future sister-in-law suggests as 'awesome' :rofl: But it seems to do well in terms of those who want to go there for the typical maki-sushi california/dynamite roll stuff if that's what you're into.

lilmira
11-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Zipang and Wa's are good if you like the more traditional type of japanese food, not the Cali roll/BC roll type of thing. They are ok to carry on a normal conversation but I wouldn't call them romantic, good enough for a casual date.

DeleriousZ
11-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm stoked to try ramen from Shikiji. Been going to Menyatai and it's closest to the stuff I used to get in Vancouver so far.

Now back to sushi talk lol

89coupe
11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
FYI, sushi means rice, not raw fish. ;)

Also, if anyone ever tells you that the best sashimi is 'fresh' out of the Ocean doesn't know anything about raw fish.

Also, the best sushi chef's in the world will tell you that its 95% about the rice, and 5% about the fish.

flipstah
11-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Also, if anyone ever tells you that the best sashimi is 'fresh' out of the Ocean doesn't know anything about raw fish.

Also, the best sushi chef's in the world will tell you that its 95% about the rice, and 5% about the fish.

What he said.

Sushi is the sashimi + the rice on the bottom. Sashimi is just the flesh.

ercchry
11-12-2013, 02:55 PM
this thread is hilarious :rofl:

first off... this: "I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi" ...is an oxymoron. authentic sushi is NOT fresh. fresh fish doesnt have time to build any flavor

also rice wine... with rice? no... sake is not to be enjoyed WITH the sushi

zipang gets my vote for most authentic

but just from your lack of experience i would say do sukiyaki house on 9th ave. that will probably be more enjoyable. the vibe will be more "romantic" than zipang. zipang is more like a sushi bar that a westernized sushi restaurant

i cant recommend blowfish any more... but it USE to be a really good fusion joint, ubu... again really good fusion. but the service is by far the worst

you watching Anthony Bourdain the other night too? :rofl:

lilmira
11-12-2013, 03:05 PM
What flavour? That's why you dunk it in soy sauce. :rofl:

89coupe
11-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

My Wife records it, haha.

Yeh, saw the episode with the famous Tokyo Chef Naomichi Yasuda.

Mibz
11-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Sushi is the sashimi + the rice on the bottom. Sashimi is just the flesh. Sushi encompasses most presentations of rice.
Nigiri is sashimi + a ball of sushi rice.

Why the fuck are the white guys educating the Asians on this?

flipstah
11-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Sushi encompasses most presentations of rice.
Nigiri is sashimi + a ball of sushi rice.

Why the fuck are the white guys educating the Asians on this?

Despite Asia being one continent, we don't have all the same cuisine... I'm Filipino.

Sushi isn't on our palate regularly.

I don't hassle you about the differences between Earl's and Joey Tomato's. But maybe I should...

CompletelyNumb
11-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
What flavour? That's why you dunk it in soy sauce. :rofl:

:rofl: :werd: All my sushi tastes like wasabi

Mibz
11-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Despite Asia being one continent, we don't have all the same cuisine... I'm Filipino.

Sushi isn't on our palate regularly.

I don't hassle you about the differences between Earl's and Joey Tomato's. But maybe I should... Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

flipstah
11-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Aiya, me so solly! :cry:

rage2
11-12-2013, 03:30 PM
My personal favorites, Zipang for Japanese style, Sukiyaki House for fusion style.

blitz
11-12-2013, 03:32 PM

I watched the same one, but I don't consider watching a 60 minute show enough to pass myself off as an expert online :rofl:

ercchry
11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by blitz

I watched the same one, but I don't consider watching a 60 minute show enough to pass myself off as an expert online :rofl:

oh, i also eat a lot of sushi... that episode didnt really have any new info.... but coupe just quoted it exactly so i had to call him out :rofl:

pretty good episode though. that guy has THE life

flipstah
11-12-2013, 03:38 PM

oh, i also eat a lot of sushi... that episode didnt really have any new info.... but coupe just quoted it exactly so i had to call him out :rofl:

pretty good episode though. that guy has THE life

I hate Anthony Bourdain, especially The Layover.

Travels the world and eats. Fucker. :cry:

ercchry
11-12-2013, 03:40 PM
his layover in london actually made london look fun... which i did not experience when i was there :cry:

89coupe
11-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by blitz

I was just quoting what a Master Chef said.:dunno:

My favorite sushi places are

Sushi Club
Zen 8
Haru's

I used to live in Bridgeland and tried Zipangs a number of times, and every fucking time I went there they were out of Toro. So I stopped going there.

Best Sushi restaurant I ever eaten at was Tojo's in Vancouver.

2nd best place was Sansei's in Maui.

n1zm0
11-12-2013, 03:42 PM

You should watch the show he produces for David Chang, Mind of a Chef, then you can get even more angry :rofl:

89coupe
11-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Great life if you are single and young, but I think you would get lonely quick.

You definitely need a certain personality/outlook on life to travel the world alone.

KRyn
11-12-2013, 03:49 PM

Great life if you are single and young, but I think you would get lonely quick.

You definitely need a certain personality/outlook on life to travel the world alone.

Uh, if you knew anything about Anthony you would know that the crew he travels with are some of his best friends. In no way, shape or form is he traveling alone. Also his wife has joined him on a few trips.

ga16i
11-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Pretty sure Li Ao and Sho are Chinese owned and operated, and wouldn't classify either of those as romantic.

+1 on Zipang, much less of a crowded and loud atmosphere.

I like Towa a lot too for the food, but usually loud and crowded.

As for alcohol. The best beeru is Asahi ;)

That's about it. Not too many quiet romantic sushi places. Thai places on the other hand tend to be dark and quiet.

What about out in Canmore? Marra's Way isn't bad and much quieter on a weeknight.

89coupe
11-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Uh, if you knew anything about Anthony you would know that the crew he travels with are some of his best friends. In no way, shape or form is he traveling alone. Also his wife has joined him on a few trips.

Travelling with your crew is one thing, going back to a room at the end of night by yourself is another.

If he has a Wife even worse, I would think after a while, the constant travel would put wear on a family.

KRyn
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Travelling with your crew is one thing, going back to a room at the end of night by yourself is another.

If he has a Wife even worse, I would think after a while, the constant travel would put wear on a family.

I see what you are saying. He has been divorced once from my understanding.

n1zm0
11-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
I see what you are saying. He has been divorced once from my understanding.

seems like the new one enjoys the lifestyle fortunately:

http://www.marriedtoachef.com/our-stories/ottavia-busia-bourdains-story/

taemo
11-12-2013, 03:58 PM

first off... this: "I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi" ...is an oxymoron. authentic sushi is NOT fresh. fresh fish doesnt have time to build any flavor

but just from your lack of experience i would say do sukiyaki house on 9th ave. that will probably be more enjoyable. the vibe will be more "romantic" than zipang. zipang is more like a sushi bar that a westernized sushi restaurant

i cant recommend blowfish any more... but it USE to be a really good fusion joint, ubu... again really good fusion. but the service is by far the worst

right, thanks
i better not drink beer too while eating beer battered fish and chips then
sake with sushi is perfectly fine and normal

rage2
11-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Sushi Club closed down 2 weeks ago. :(

89coupe
11-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

What? haha, that sucks.

Of course I haven't been there for 2 years now.

Ever since I moved to Aspen I get my sushi from Haru's or Misato's.

Xtrema
11-12-2013, 04:03 PM

He has a wife and a daughter.

He include them a few times on NR.

He did say traveling for NR is the reason the 1st marriage failed after 20 years. But I think that's around the same time Kitchen Confidential got popular and he got more well known.

But it's awesome when you travel with fixers and a production crew where most business cater to your every whims.

Skyline_Addict
11-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Wa's, Misato, Zipang

89coupe
11-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

He has a wife and a daughter.

He include them a few times on NR.

He did say traveling for NR is the reason the 1st marriage failed after 20 years. But I think that's around the same time Kitchen Confidential got popular and he got more well known.

I love watching his show's.

Just wouldn't want the lifestyle.

rage2
11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Ewwww haha. Misato's is not terrible, but it's not great either.

r3ccOs
11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Misato was good, but as of late, prices I think are too high for the quality

Yokozuna's in Okotoks is the best kept secret, and has the most creative and is about the best sushi I've had...

I mean seriously, I've had Sushi everywhere... from Yokohama, Hong Kong, Vancouver, New York, San Diego, its just as good as the best I've ever had.

ercchry
11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
Misato was good, but as of late, prices I think are too high for the quality

Yokozuna's in Okotoks is the best kept secret, and has the most creative and is about the best sushi I've had...

I mean seriously, I've had Sushi everywhere... from Yokohama, Hong Kong, Vancouver, New York, San Diego, its just as good as the best I've ever had.

i find their rice is hit and miss... but if you like it. same owners in the place where Tokyo Gardens use to be at McLeod and southland... pretty much the same menu

roopi
11-12-2013, 04:31 PM
What's the deal with Haru and Ajasai? I've noticed they have the exact same menu however the consistency is never the same between the 2. Is this someone franchising out their menu but people using different restaurant names?

89coupe
11-12-2013, 04:37 PM

Ewwww haha. Misato's is not terrible, but it's not great either.

I didn't mind it. We do pick up most of the time. We usually do Haru's but if the wait is too long we call Misato's.

I can't remember if its Misato's or Haru's but one of the places doesn't use real soft shell crab for the spider rolls. Pisses me off as I always forget...LOL

The usual order is

6 peices of Toro
4 Special Scallop (Spicey)
2 Unagi
2 Salmon
1 Uni

1 Spider Roll
2 Special Rolls, varies.
1 order of Tempura
2 orders of Agedashi Tofu

and I always have to have beer with my sushi, haha.

ga16i
11-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by roopi
What's the deal with Haru and Ajasai? I've noticed they have the exact same menu however the consistency is never the same between the 2. Is this someone franchising out their menu but people using different restaurant names?

Both Korean owned.
http://www.apexdining.ca/

chiuman7
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
+1 for Zipang

Koto Sushi for weeknight's pretty quiet as well and the food I would say is ok

My favorite as of late would be Tsuki Izakaya, which is right beside Fuji Yama on 17th Ave. Good price and awesome izakaya

ercchry
11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by chiuman7

My favorite as of late would be Tsuki Izakaya, which is right beside Fuji Yama on 17th Ave. Good price and awesome izakaya

sounds like a neat spot! and open late... might have to give it a try

http://cecinestpasunfoodblog.com/2013/07/tsuki-izakaya/#.UoK2ieKmaHM

max_boost
11-12-2013, 06:45 PM
So true. Sushi in Calgary is just so average meh

Wa's is good.
El's is good.

TomcoPDR
11-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Yume isn't too bad

ercchry
11-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
So true. Sushi in Calgary is just so average meh

Wa's is good.
El's is good.

el's fails hard... since its not licensed :whipped: (well, it wasnt last time i was there at least... its been a while)

DEATH2000
11-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Any good sushi places down south in, or around Evergreen/Briddlewood?

Mibz
11-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I've gone to Li-Ao in Bridlewood three times and the food's always been mediocre. One time they also served me frozen toro. That said, everybody else seems to like it so maybe I'm just hitting it on bad days.

I prefer Sushi Me in Midnapore. Service ain't the greatest but the fish is the best I've found in the South, and it's consistent.

trieu
11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
edit - should have read after the first page before my response

Has anyone tried Yasuda in NYC?

sxtasy
11-12-2013, 09:48 PM

I can't remember if its Misato's or Haru's but one of the places doesn't use real soft shell crab for the spider rolls. Pisses me off as I always forget...LOL

Just ate at Haru's tonight, it is pretty good. Nice atmosphere and good service. Ordered the spider roll, nice presentation but I am pretty sure the crab is artificial.

Chandler_Racing
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Sushi club was my go to place not sure why they closed...?

Wa's is a close second.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2013, 09:55 PM
what do you legit sushi eaters think of Koto downtown? They seem pretty good to my white-guy palate. Some of the jumbo rolls are overdone with sauces, but the smaller rolls and individual pieces seem great. I work pretty close to there, so it's my go-to for lunch.

Wa's is good food, but not something I would suggest if you are looking for an "experience".

msommers
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Have had a bunch of dates at Zipang, everyone loves it from the girls serving, the food, to the guys saying goodbye at the end as you walk out. Brownie points with the reserved window table :D

I've been to Sukiyaki House a few times now and everytime I go I find it pretty meh. Either it's the fusion thing I don't like or something about the fish or rice but the combination just doesn't do it for me.

Best sushi I've said so far was this little hole in the wall in Vancouver - I think in Gastown. Was downstairs in a mall :rofl: Not only was it extremely good, the portions were huge and the price was shockingly low. Then again we get hosed pretty bad on seafood here.

Also there is an oyster bar in Yaletown that has their weekly specials. So cheap and so delicious!

bosa
11-12-2013, 10:44 PM
BIG SHOUT OUT TO EVERYONE! :clap:

I joined this website 10 years ago when I couldn't even drive and to not post very often and get this sort of feedback is absolutely incredible. You people are awesome. I really appreciate all the responses and those dropping knowledge.

It's certainly more about the food than anything. My girlfriend and I don't need certain decor or anything to have a good time, I just would like as many things to add to her birthday as possible you know. No matter where I pick I look forward to trying all the suggestions in the future.

We often end up at Globefish at Chinook for lunch. It's always consistent and I'm addicted to their "Crimson River". There's a lot done to it so let's not talk authentic, but I truly enjoy salmon or tuna sashimi as well. Hopefully I'm not eating the farmed stuff!

Can anyone remember the name of the little sushi joint in the strip mall at Richmond and 37 street SW? I've only been their once and ate "nigiri" sushi. Their eel was pleasant and both their octopus and squid were really delicious and melted in your mouth, not rubbery at all. Their rolls on the other hand were too big and not well assembled.

Thanks again!!

roopi
11-12-2013, 11:42 PM
So when are posting pics of the GF to thank everyone?

lilmira
11-12-2013, 11:59 PM

Can anyone remember the name of the little sushi joint in the strip mall at Richmond and 37 street SW? I've only been their once and ate "nigiri" sushi. Their eel was pleasant and both their octopus and squid were really delicious and melted in your mouth, not rubbery at all. Their rolls on the other hand were too big and not well assembled.

Thanks again!!

Momo-Yama?

Sorath
11-13-2013, 02:59 AM
hmm sushi for me goes in this order

Zipang
Blowfish
Koto
Red Ember

kenny
11-13-2013, 03:30 AM

Both Korean run joints, of course you'd like it haha :P

Not a major fan of either place for their sushi because the fish isn't cut right (at least to what I expect in my mind, I'm no expert) or it's too cold/frozen. Both places have decent rolls though when I just don't feel like going far and I have a craving.

I go to Misato for their Kalbi and Nabeyaki udon more so than their sushi.

Best sushi joint in town I think was Sushi Club, it was consistent. I also enjoy Zipang as well. Funny enough, while I find these two places have the best sushi I rarely go to them. I find while it's better than most places, it's not THAT much better to warrant driving so far.

bleu
11-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Wa's is delicious.
Big Catch was pretty good, I tried it last Friday. It is in the Kingsland Market.

heavyfuel
11-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Wow you're just a know-it-all aren't you lol

Had SASHIMI in Tofino one time, and I dunno what the hell you're talking about because those scallops that were in the ocean less than 24 hrs earlier, were pretty damn flavorful. I've also caught and ate mackerel within 5 minutes of each other right on a dock in NS, once again had quite a bit of flavor.

And is there a law written somewhere that you cannot have sake with your sushi/sashimi? Because I thoroughly enjoy warm sake with my sushi/sashimi and I'm reasonably confident I'm not the only one.

Towa and Shibuya get my vote, although Shibuya has a shitty parking lot lol

Strider
11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

Came into this thread to post this. :cry:

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
Sushi club was my go to place not sure why they closed...?

Wa's is a close second.

Closed because the chef had a shoulder injury and didn't trust anyone else to maintain the quality of food.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Yume isn't too bad

The North location started out okay, but went downhill pretty fast. Sakura Sushi Japan is much better for cheapish sushi in the NW.

Still looking for something to fill the void left by Sushi Club closing... Zipang is pretty close (I prefer it to Wa's), but it's still not quite as good.

ercchry
11-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Wow you're just a know-it-all aren't you lol

Had SASHIMI in Tofino one time, and I dunno what the hell you're talking about because those scallops that were in the ocean less than 24 hrs earlier, were pretty damn flavorful. I've also caught and ate mackerel within 5 minutes of each other right on a dock in NS, once again had quite a bit of flavor.

And is there a law written somewhere that you cannot have sake with your sushi/sashimi? Because I thoroughly enjoy warm sake with my sushi/sashimi and I'm reasonably confident I'm not the only one.

Towa and Shibuya get my vote, although Shibuya has a shitty parking lot lol

authentic and what people in NA have grown accustom to are two different things... its like saying "OMG! chinese food? i love ginger beef!" then getting taken for dim sum and hating everything on the menu

89coupe
11-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Both Korean run joints, of course you'd like it haha :P

Not a major fan of either place for their sushi because the fish isn't cut right (at least to what I expect in my mind, I'm no expert) or it's too cold/frozen. Both places have decent rolls though when I just don't feel like going far and I have a craving.

I go to Misato for their Kalbi and Nabeyaki udon more so than their sushi.

Best sushi joint in town I think was Sushi Club, it was consistent. I also enjoy Zipang as well. Funny enough, while I find these two places have the best sushi I rarely go to them. I find while it's better than most places, it's not THAT much better to warrant driving so far.

Japanese/Korean, they look the same to me...haha.

Have you had the Tofu at Haru's? Its really good.

The fish I enjoy most is Fatty Tuna.

I do like the chopped scallop with spicey mayo.

My daughter prefers Salmon, but also enjoys the Tuna.

My son loves the rolls and Tofu but won't eat the raw stuff yet.

My Wife doesn't like any raw stuff, just rolls, haha. She's about as white as you get for a Korean, haha.

Calgary isn't exactly a city that produces any real high end sushi restaurants.

I would say Sushi Club was the best.

flipstah
11-13-2013, 10:10 AM

authentic and what people in NA have grown accustom to are two different things... its like saying "OMG! chinese food? i love ginger beef!" then getting taken for dim sum and hating everything on the menu

Dimsum is where it's at! Mmm, chicken feet... :drool:

Fun fact: Dim sum is also called 'Yum Cha' (forgot what the translation is; something with tea).

I learned that the hard way in Australia when I was looking for a dimsum place and my cousins didn't know what I was talking about until I explained the concept,

"Yum Cha? Dafuq is that?" :rofl:

EDIT: "Yum Cha" is the event while "Dim Sum" are the dishes you eat in the event. At least, that's how they explained it to me...

:hijack:

Disoblige
11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
flip, when did you become so Chinese?

yum cha = drink tea
dim sum = touch the heart

Back on topic, I like Zipang for the nigiri, but rolls are terrible there so I don't bother with them anymore.

Also, don't even bother going to El's Fusion. They kept a similar menu, but the owners changed. And the new owners put that menu to shame.. So sad..

Cash Money Hoes
11-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Surprised that no one has mentioned Sushi Hiro. By far the longest running sushi joint in Calgary. Been around for around 30 years and has been run by the same guy and his familty during this time. He has been training his son for the last 10 years and eventually he will take it over.

The head sushi chefs at many of the sushi restaurants that have been mentioned in this thread worked at Sushi Hiro and were trained by Hiro.

I have been to every one of the sushi places referenced in this thread and the most authentic restaurant you will find is Sushi Hiro. Go there on most nights and you will see old Japanese people eating there (as a white guy, this is my baraometer of an authentic asian restaurant).

Quality of the fish is on par with any other top restuarant.

If you are looking for a romantic setting there are booths (low table japanese style tables where you have to take your shoes off) that offer more privacy at the back of the restaurant.

The upkeep of the restaurant is as good as any other Sushi restaurants and the bathrooms are always fresh and clean. Something that many of the other referenced restaurants do not offer.

Only thing that you may run into an issue with is order time. If you sit in one of hte booths at the rear of the restaurant be prepared for a 45 - 1h our long meal.

If you want to be in an out of there quickly, sit at the sushi bar. You can get your order in immediately. I have been in an out of there in 10-15 minutes before. As quick or quicker than anything other than the boat at Kinjo.

I highly recommend you check it out.

taemo
11-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Havent been to Sushi Hiro in years but yes a lot of old Japanese men go there.
I think they are closed on weekends, especially Sunday night.

one of my favorite Sushi place was Reiko Sushi in Bankers Hall but I don't know why they closed down.

tomt64
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
Surprised that no one has mentioned Sushi Hiro.

When you have eaten sushi in Japan and Hawaii, its hard to have some good sushi locally. Thanks for pointing this out, I will go there later this week. :)

Sorath
11-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Sushi hiro is not as good as it used to be after the son took over

rage2
11-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Closed because the chef had a shoulder injury and didn't trust anyone else to maintain the quality of food.
Yea, really sucks. I've known Koki since I was 15 when I was a busboy at the original Sukiyaki House. Koki's trained a shit ton of sushi chefs in this city, my cousins and friends were all trained by him over the years.

I tried to go to their last day of opening, but it was booked solid. :(

Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
Surprised that no one has mentioned Sushi Hiro. By far the longest running sushi joint in Calgary. Been around for around 30 years and has been run by the same guy and his familty during this time. He has been training his son for the last 10 years and eventually he will take it over.
I work 2 blocks from them, and I've stopped going. They've really gone downhill over the last few years. You can probably look up sushi hiro posts on beyond to see when I started ranting about their quality going down.

rage2
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention Sushi Bar Miki in Bowness. Another hidden gem.

Cash Money Hoes
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
You are right, you can definitely tell the difference in quality between when Hiro makes it and when Yoshi makes it. Yoshi has not taken over yet but does work full time. He normally works in the kitchen and Hiro works the sushi bar. Just make sure that Hiro (old guy) is working the bar when you go there. This is most of the time.

BigDL
11-13-2013, 12:08 PM

I love their cooked food :)

max_boost
11-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention Sushi Bar Miki in Bowness. Another hidden gem. Thanks gonna try it out!

asp integra
11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
In my experience nothing beats the sushi at Misato! They are amazing and well worth checking out. Prices are very good as well considering I have been to other places nearby and paid more for less. Misato is #1 in calgary in my book!

rage2
11-13-2013, 06:52 PM
You must be white. :rofl:

DeleriousZ
11-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Whitewashed ethnic food is better nowhere other than Calgary lol.

heavyfuel
11-14-2013, 08:14 AM

Gonna have to check that one out, walking distance home so I can hit the sake harder lol

eblend
11-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I've gone to Li-Ao in Bridlewood three times and the food's always been mediocre. One time they also served me frozen toro. That said, everybody else seems to like it so maybe I'm just hitting it on bad days.

I prefer Sushi Me in Midnapore. Service ain't the greatest but the fish is the best I've found in the South, and it's consistent.

I agree with this. My wife and I prefer Sushi Me over Li-Ao, even though both are Chinese owned. My wife being Japanese and a former Sushi chef really dislikes the rice at Li-Ao, Sushi Me is so so according to her, but its close by so we go there. Usually we go to the place up in Mackenzie Town in that small mall across from Canadian Tire, don't recall the name but it is Japanese owned and run, my wife really likes there, just hate the long ass drive.

n1zm0
11-14-2013, 09:13 AM
I also just remembered I used to goto Tokyo Garden alot as a kid and there was always Japanese chefs and waiters and waitresses, I went to whatever it became now, Izumi Yokozuna, not the same at all, went from pretty good to mid-grade imo, anyone else remember going to Tokyo Garden back in the day?

CRXguy
11-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by eblend

I agree with this. My wife and I prefer Sushi Me over Li-Ao, even though both are Chinese owned. My wife being Japanese and a former Sushi chef really dislikes the rice at Li-Ao, Sushi Me is so so according to her, but its close by so we go there. Usually we go to the place up in Mackenzie Town in that small mall across from Canadian Tire, don't recall the name but it is Japanese owned and run, my wife really likes there, just hate the long ass drive.

I went to Li-Ao once before they renovated. Thought it wasn't too bad. The sashimi portions were pretty big. Will have to try Sushi Me next time I'm in the SW.

The other one you're referring to is Ichizen. That will be my go to place when I move down there next month.

Anyone try Haru sushi over in McKenzie Towne?

ercchry
11-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
I also just remembered I used to goto Tokyo Garden alot as a kid and there was always Japanese chefs and waiters and waitresses, I went to whatever it became now, Izumi Yokozuna, not the same at all, went from pretty good to mid-grade imo, anyone else remember going to Tokyo Garden back in the day?

yeah Tokyo gardens was the first place i tried sushi! the new place is the same owners as the okotoks sushi place... rolls are too big, way too big. like one order fills me up which i dont actually like since i rather have smaller portions and more variety

Disoblige
11-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Not a fan of Izumi at all. The rolls are too big, but not only that, they lack flavor. I don't care if they're too big if they actually taste good. They make Towa look like their rolls are tiny (although Towa has downsized their rolls over the years), but at least Towa tastes decent.

ercchry
11-14-2013, 10:23 AM
yeah they kind of remind me of when i was at west-ed super hungover and found a "sushi" place in the mall :rofl: these things, no word of a lie were 4" in diameter and not a trace of fish anywhere :barf:

n1zm0
11-14-2013, 12:38 PM
rolls are too big, way too big.

The rolls are too big, but not only that, they lack flavor.

on a side note, that just reminded me of Sushi King (http://sushikinghouse.com/), when my brother first moved to Vancouver and he was on a budget, he'd goto the one closest to downtown, for $10 you could basically eat until bloated. I never believed him until he brought me to there, obviously it's just the cheapest of everything and pure gluttony :rofl: :

http://properfare.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_1806.jpg

http://properfare.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_1808.jpg

according to him it 'helped me survive in a luxurious fashion' lol

iirc there was one branch here in the NW but it was shut down due to multiple violations.

Disoblige
11-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Total cost in your pics is $11.95 for the House roll and $10.95 for the salmon sashimi. After tax, that's almost $26.00 (assuming you don't tip either). I don't think I'd spend $26 on that haha.

Although, the pics you posted for Vancouver is much better than the Sushi King that was here in Calgary. I don't think they were even affiliated. The one in Calgary was just called "Sushi King" and gave you the worst farts imaginable. The place in BC is called "Sushi King House".

ercchry
11-14-2013, 03:18 PM
sushi king actually had Japanese servers though. went with a big white dude that was fluent in Japanese and he got one of their numbers :rofl:

89coupe
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Total cost in your pics is $11.95 for the House roll and $10.95 for the salmon sashimi. After tax, that's almost $26.00 (assuming you don't tip either). I don't think I'd spend $26 on that haha.

Although, the pics you posted for Vancouver is much better than the Sushi King that was here in Calgary. I don't think they were even affiliated. The one in Calgary was just called "Sushi King" and gave you the worse farts imaginable. The place in BC is called "Sushi King House".

Now when I look at your avatar all I think of is farts coming out of her ass.:bullshit:

Disoblige
11-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Now when I look at your avatar all I think of is farts coming out of her ass.:bullshit:
lmao, some people are into that y'know ;)

Nickerjones
11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
My wife is a very boring eater. She just wants to find a shrimp tempura roll. Any suggestions? We have checked at Sumo ( btw had a bad eating experience there the food was horrible) and globefish. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find but the two shrimp places we have went to don't have "just" a shrimp tempura roll.