PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a new vehicle

canehdian_guy
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm dealing with a first world crisis; I can't decide what to get for my second vehicle. I've racked my brain and google's search engine for the last year but I cant come up with anything else. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some suggestions.

My requirements for the next car:
-RWD
-Manual Transmission
-Good handling
-Relatively easy and affordable to maintain
-Cost: I'm hoping to spend around $3000-$8000 including necessary modifications and initial repairs etc.
-It needs to be almost as fast or faster then my G35 which does 1/4 mile's in approx 14 seconds @100 mph.

Here is some more information that gives a better idea of what I'm looking for exactly for anyone who cares to read:

I currently own a 07 G35 Coupe. In a straight line I'm happy with it. It can do quarter mile in approximately 14 seconds at 100 mph which isn't overly impressive, but enough for me. When it comes to handling though, it isn't the greatest because of it's weight etc. It's also too nice to use as a daily driver or play around in without worry. My next car I hope to use throughout winter, and at the track if necessary.

I had initially considered 90's Japanese cars such as the Supra or the RX-7, but do to their high demand their price has risen considerably. The number one vehicle I have in mind right now is an E36 328is, although without doing an extensive amount of work on it I don't think it will be fast enough for me. I've also considered an E36 M3 which would be more comparable to my G35 for acceleration, but I'm apprehensive to due its higher overall cost for everything.

Thanks

snowcat
11-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Second vehicle?

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Yamaha/R6/2009/2009_Yamaha_YZF-R6_Blue_RHF_1280.jpg

Rwd
Manual
Light weight
Blows your G35 out of the water
Very easy to maintain and cheap.
Easy to trailer to track days.
$6-8K

One downside: No winter.

ercchry
11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
mmmmhmmm...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-Nissan-240sx-LHD-Price-drop-SR20-W0QQAdIdZ532884834

or if you can live with RHD

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Nissan-Silvia-Kouki-S14-240sx-FINAL-PRICE-DROP-UPDATE-W0QQAdIdZ529909859

Redlined_8000
11-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Well... Why do you want your second vehicle to be just like your current one? Seems kinda pointless in a way. Your G35 is a great car already.

EDIT: I see you say G35 maybe is to heavy to have good handling. I think they handle decently. And during the winter with a good set of winter tires it can be a good fun car for around Calgary. Only problem with them is the 2nd gear shifting when transmission is cold. I had a 06 G35 and winter drove that it was a great all around car. You also say it might be to nice to daily drive but I think you might as well do that and save the extra cash in your pocket. You can also do some mods to the G35 to make it funner and handle better. A cat back exhaust and good set of coil overs will make the car sound great and handle completely differently.

a61z
11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
sw20 or a boosted miata

Sugarphreak
11-12-2013, 07:17 PM

know1edge
11-12-2013, 10:17 PM
mr2-t

ddduke
11-12-2013, 10:29 PM
why don't you get a 350z? there was one on beyond for the longest time that could have been had for 6500 that needed super minor repairs, it handles way better then the g35 but it's essentially the same car.

You can definitely find one for the 8-10k range.

xnvy
11-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Miata! Boost it!

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
Second vehicle?

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Yamaha/R6/2009/2009_Yamaha_YZF-R6_Blue_RHF_1280.jpg

Rwd
Manual
Light weight
Blows your G35 out of the water
Very easy to maintain and cheap.
Easy to trailer to track days.
$6-8K

One downside: No winter.

Lol really snowcat?? From youtube? Haha crazy. Good suggestion but I already own a bike :) looking for a new supermoto though

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Well... Why do you want your second vehicle to be just like your current one? Seems kinda pointless in a way. Your G35 is a great car already.

EDIT: I see you say G35 maybe is to heavy to have good handling. I think they handle decently. And during the winter with a good set of winter tires it can be a good fun car for around Calgary. Only problem with them is the 2nd gear shifting when transmission is cold. I had a 06 G35 and winter drove that it was a great all around car. You also say it might be to nice to daily drive but I think you might as well do that and save the extra cash in your pocket. You can also do some mods to the G35 to make it funner and handle better. A cat back exhaust and good set of coil overs will make the car sound great and handle completely differently.
Regardless of what I do to the G35 it will still utilize a speed dependent power assisted steering system. It's good for relaxed driving but I'd prefer something more engaging. As for exhaust exhaust etc, I've already done every bolt on offered by Motordyne and am so happy with it

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by a61z
sw20 or a boosted miata

I'm probably going to try and avoid non na cars, especially ones that are far from stock. From what I've seen it can be more headaches then its worth. Would be fun cars though fur sure, right up my alley

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm basically looking for a nice classic RWD sporty car that doesn't carry a collector car price.

The E36 BMW is a good example of what I'm looking for. People have considered it BMW's redheaded stepchild so you can pick them up dirt cheap, whereas the E30 which is older yet idolized goes for a much higher cost.

Any ideas for really good value sport cars?

a61z
11-13-2013, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by canehdian_guy

I'm probably going to try and avoid non na cars, especially ones that are far from stock. From what I've seen it can be more headaches then its worth. Would be fun cars though fur sure, right up my alley
I think you're gonna have a hard time finding a RWD n/a car trapping 100+ in Calgary that handles well and under 8k.

There are no big displacement n/a 90's import cars; all the higher hp models were boosted.

Domestic V8's from that era (to keep the price inline) were not fast enough for your needs either and the handling requirements are questionable at best.

E36 is way too slow. Even E46 will be way too slow.

G-ZUS
11-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by canehdian_guy
The E36 BMW is a good example of what I'm looking for. People have considered it BMW's redheaded stepchild so you can pick them up dirt cheap,

why is that?

T-Dubbs
11-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Don't think I've seen an N/A g35 trap at 100mph+ up here.

Redlined_8000
11-13-2013, 01:42 PM
My bolt on g35 did a 98mph in Edmonton

SkiBum5.0
11-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

why is that?

Because the model we got here had a US Spec motor that made less power. It's reputation isn't completely justified but it is viewed as the least popular of the recent M3's. It would still be a great car to own as a second vehicle and service on it is not as bad as newer models.

Edit: if we are talking about the e36 M3

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by a61z

I think you're gonna have a hard time finding a RWD n/a car trapping 100+ in Calgary that handles well and under 8k.

There are no big displacement n/a 90's import cars; all the higher hp models were boosted.

Domestic V8's from that era (to keep the price inline) were not fast enough for your needs either and the handling requirements are questionable at best.

E36 is way too slow. Even E46 will be way too slow.

Ya, it definitely seems that way unfortunately. I am also in the market for a more expensive car and even when willing to pay a higher price tag its still it is hard to find a good handling, reliable, decent power car that's not laden with technologies. Closest I've found is the 930, but their motors need rebuilding too often.

As for this car goes I don't feel like the E36 will be way to slow although it will leave more to be desired. The 328i with light modifications will trap around 90-95 MPH, whereas the M3 can trap 100+. Here's a naturally aspirated 1/4 mile time page from a beamer forum:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1021802-e36-n-a-1-4-mile-archives-w-standings/page12 (http://)

Thanks for the insight.

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

why is that?

I don't know...the E36 just wasn't as timeless as the E30 or the E46. We'll see how the E92 stands up to the test of time.

canehdian_guy
11-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

Because the model we got here had a US Spec motor that made less power. It's reputation isn't completely justified but it is viewed as the least popular of the recent M3's. It would still be a great car to own as a second vehicle and service on it is not as bad as newer models.

Edit: if we are talking about the e36 M3

I was more referring to the chassis in general, but yes the north american market got screwed by getting the S52 over the S50

dirtsniffer
11-14-2013, 08:12 AM
You could find a 95 m3 that came stock with the s50.
For one year Canadians could buy one of very few euro spec e36 m3's. I believe the number was 500. Good luck getting your hands on one.

As for the OP. Buy a mustang, or look at importing a gto from the states. Or save up for a c5 corvette.

n1zm0
11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
For one year Canadians could buy one of very few euro spec e36 m3's. I believe the number was 500. Good luck getting your hands on one.

15 year rule right? I'm sure somehow you could get these imported from the EU now, probably even from Japan.

canehdian_guy
11-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
You could find a 95 m3 that came stock with the s50.

As for the OP. Buy a mustang, or look at importing a gto from the states. Or save up for a c5 corvette.

Really? I was unaware of that. Their price must be through the roof!

A lot of my reason for wanting the second car is because my current car is pretty heavy and has really numb steering, so unfortunately most American car will not be suitable.

Team_Mclaren
11-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Since when is a E36 328i sporty? :dunno: