PDA

View Full Version : MCSE Certifications

RNB11
11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Not exactly sure where to post this, but this seems like a pretty relevant spot.

I would like to start preparing to get my MSCA, and shortly after MSCE certification. I know they are still enrolling 2008, and 2012 exams, and my question is whether it is better to pursue the 2012 exam instead of 2008? I assume a lot of business's will be using 2008 for awhile before deciding to migrate over to 2012.

I will be graduating in the summer of 2014, and would like to know what's currently more popular in the industry thus far?

Thanks.

eblend
11-14-2013, 09:02 PM
do 2012, no point in doing 2008 as 2012 is just everything 2008 can do, plus all the new stuff.

I got my MCSA 2012 like 4 month ago, still planning to finish MCSE 2012 : Private Cloud sometime soon, just have to get off my lazy ass..which has been a challenge haha

carson blocks
11-14-2013, 09:31 PM
2008 is still the vast majority of what I see out there, but definitely get 2012.

RNB11
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
I had a feeling that would be the best route.

Thanks for your opinions.

QR25DE-SER
11-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Wanted to ask as to where to take these & how much the cost would be?

I'm having trouble finding the where & the cost.

Thanks,

:dunno:

macman64
11-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by QR25DE-SER
Wanted to ask as to where to take these & how much the cost would be?

I'm having trouble finding the where & the cost.

Thanks,

:dunno:

The exams are $150 US each. Plus any study materials you need. It is 3 exams for the MCSA 5 for the MCSE.

You can take them through any prometric testing center which you can find here: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/microsoft/pages/landing.aspx

Make sure to sign up for second shot BEFORE you take the test, that way if you fail you get a free-retake.

eblend
11-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Prometric also has exam packs, so you can get the whole MCSA pack and save like $70 bucks or something overall + free second shot for any of the exams in the bundle. Thing that sucks about the bundle though is that you can't book more than one exam at a time as it is only one code. I wrote my last 2 exams in quick succession and it sucked that I couldn't book my last exam until my second last one was competed...lost out on very good time slots and dates and had to write middle of the day on a Wednesday. There are also many sites that sell exam packs for a discount but they usually have a short deadline to be used as they are expiring, so if you are ready and can get a slot, they may be a good option, never used them myself

j.garner
11-17-2013, 02:30 AM
I thought they had retired MCSA and MCSE?
My understanding was they moved to MCTS and MCITP for 2008 era stuff and then MCSE again for newer stuff but changed the meaning over to something else?

eblend
11-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by j.garner
I thought they had retired MCSA and MCSE?
My understanding was they moved to MCTS and MCITP for 2008 era stuff and then MCSE again for newer stuff but changed the meaning over to something else?

They brought it all back, but with different meaning.

MCSE is no longer a software engineer, its solution expert, SA is solution associate

Isaiah
11-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by eblend

They brought it all back, but with different meaning.

MCSE is no longer a software engineer, its solution expert, SA is solution associate
Software engineer sounds a lot more qualified than solution expert.

eblend
11-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Software engineer sounds a lot more qualified than solution expert.

I don't know if it sounds more qualified or not, but does sound nicer, but an expert in any cert is seen as pretty high up there, so I am fine with it.

Mibz
11-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by eblend
MCSE is no longer a software engineer, its solution expert, SA is solution associate Great. Now nerds are going to have spell out the entire cert name on their e-mail signatures so we don't get confused about which cert taught them Windows recommended system requirements.

zipdoa
11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Great. Now nerds are going to have spell out the entire cert name on their e-mail signatures so we don't get confused about which cert taught them Windows recommended system requirements.

jBzPcxm3LPo

Mibz
11-18-2013, 01:17 PM
;)

- Mibz Cisco Certified Plumber, Cisco Certified Tube Design Associate, Cisco Certified Secure Plumbing Associate, Microsoft Certified "My Company Needed To Maintain It's MS Partnership" Professional (Windows 7 System Requirements), VMWare Certified "Was bored at work so did their 2 hours of online learning and free exam" Associate (Data Center Virtualization)

zipdoa
11-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
;)

- Mibz Cisco Certified Plumber, Cisco Certified Tube Design Associate, Cisco Certified Secure Plumbing Associate, Microsoft Certified "My Company Needed To Maintain It's MS Partnership" Professional (Windows 7 System Requirements), VMWare Certified "Was bored at work so did their 2 hours of online learning and free exam" Associate (Data Center Virtualization)

Well aren't you just trivializing my $17,000 investment at SAIT :rofl:

Mibz
11-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't have gotten my Certified Plumber papers without $20,000 spent at SAIT, so either I'm not trivializing it or I'm mocking both of us.

I don't know which yet, haha.

SmAcKpOo
11-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Mibz, where is the link for the free VMware cert with the online course?

Mibz
11-18-2013, 03:40 PM
This is the one I took:
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=41162&ui=www_cert

There's also Cloud and something else.

Voucher code: VCA501

Not sure if it still works. Let me know.

eblend
11-19-2013, 10:41 AM
This VCA thing that came out recently automatically makes my VCP look more pro haha, love it.