PDA

View Full Version : PSU failure or MOBO Dead?

DJ Lazy
11-15-2013, 11:11 AM
So short back story.

I upgraded my MOBO/CPU earlier this year. Just a few weeks ago I upgraded my case, PSU, GPU and CPU Fan. This basically gave me a bunch of spare parts sitting around to rebuild a 2nd PC.

When I did the swap a couple weeks from my old case to my new case the old PSU was working fine. I pulled out my my old MOBO/CPU that I upgraded months ago out of my closet and reinstalled it in my old case, ran all the power cables correctly, etc.

I never tested it before giving it to a buddy of mine last week and now it won't turn on and I can't figure out which component could be the culprit.

Can a MOBO "die" just sitting in a closet untouched for months? What's the best way to test these 2 things?

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Most components typically fail at power up.

Is there a light on at the back of the psu?

Is there a light on the mobo?

Did you remember to connect the psu's black and yellow auxiliary plug?

DJ Lazy
11-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Most components typically fail at power up.

Is there a light on at the back of the psu?

Is there a light on the mobo?

Did you remember to connect the psu's black and yellow auxiliary plug?

No lights on the MOBO, and the PSU doesn't have any light to indicate power.

All cables/wires are plugged into the correct locations.

I get ZERO response from anything when clicking the power button on the PC or PSU.

I just fail to see how the PSU could die over night when it wasn't plugged in and working with no issue before power down. I powered the old PC down, pulled my mobo/CPU to put into my new case. The old PSU never came out of the old case, just put the old mobo/CPU, GPU back in, hooked it all up and gave it to a friend the next day. Now there is zero life in the system.

EDIT: I googled the paper clip PSU test, so will try that in a bit to see if the PSU is dead. I would guess that if the PSU shows any sign of life that the mobo isn't sending a signal to the PSU to power up?

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Does the psu have a power switch? If so, did you accidentally switch it off when installing it?

Other than that, the only way to tell is to swap out the psu.

DJ Lazy
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Does the psu have a power switch? If so, did you accidentally switch it off when installing it?

Other than that, the only way to tell is to swap out the psu.

Yea there is a switch, and I have tried both positions.

firebane
11-15-2013, 11:30 AM
To test the power supply unhook all power connectors from motherboard and devices.

Grab a paperclip and on the 24 pin connector jump it between the green wire and a black wire. This will turn the power supply on to see if it actually powers up.

If you swapped the board into another case ensure the power button lead is connected properly to the pins on the mainboard. You can also test the leads by using a small screwdriver or metal object to short the two pins to jump the board.

Also check for any standoffs under the board that could perhaps be causing a short.

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 11:31 AM
I forgot about the power supply paper clip test, as I've never done it. Reason being, I can't see it as being a reliable test on a passed result.

diamondedge
11-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by firebane
To test the power supply unhook all power connectors from motherboard and devices.

Grab a paperclip and on the 24 pin connector jump it between the green wire and a black wire. This will turn the power supply on to see if it actually powers up.

If you swapped the board into another case ensure the power button lead is connected properly to the pins on the mainboard. You can also test the leads by using a small screwdriver or metal object to short the two pins to jump the board.

Also check for any standoffs under the board that could perhaps be causing a short.

+1 on the power leads. This may sound obvious but I have totally forgot to re-attach the power button leads to the mobo. Was pressing it going "WTF..." until I noticed they were loose in the case.

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by diamondedge

+1 on the power leads. This may sound obvious but I have totally forgot to re-attach the power button leads to the mobo. Was pressing it going "WTF..." until I noticed they were loose in the case.

Ya, I've done that more than once. lol

I was going to mention it, but DJ said: All cables/wires are plugged into the correct locations.

HHURICANE1
11-15-2013, 11:37 AM
If you want a more complete test you could try something like this.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38389

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM
T

Hmmm. Seems to me that it doesn't mean the psu is getting power over the rails. In addition, the psu may respond differently when under load.

diamondedge
11-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Ya, I've done that more than once. lol

I was going to mention it, but DJ said: All cables/wires are plugged into the correct locations.

Oh snap. Missed that. Yeah, paper clip test it.

firebane
11-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
If you want a more complete test you could try something like this.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38389

Those only show generic voltages from the PSU and don't work for stuff under load. They honestly are a waste of money.

Hmmm. Seems to me that it doesn't mean the psu is getting power over the rails. In addition, the psu may respond differently when under load.

Yeah but gotta start with the basics and that is ensuring the psu actually powers on first.

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 11:45 AM

Yeah but gotta start with the basics and that is ensuring the psu actually powers on first.

I see the point now.

A failed result is accurate, but a passed result is meaningless.

revelations
11-15-2013, 02:21 PM
If the board has a power LED and its not coming on, the PSU is done.

firebane
11-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by revelations
If the board has a power LED and its not coming on, the PSU is done.

Not always the board itself can be toast. But more likely the PSU than the board.

revelations
11-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Not always the board itself can be toast. But more likely the PSU than the board.

I've seen surface-mounted Pleds on even though the board is toast - it depends on the board.

DJ Lazy
11-15-2013, 04:05 PM
So if I do the paper clip test and that shows that the PSU is turning on, I can assume the MOBO is toast right?

Seth1968
11-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
So if I do the paper clip test and that shows that the PSU is turning on, I can assume the MOBO is toast right?

No.

That test just shows that the psu is powering up. It doesn't mean the psu will work under load, or that the rails are getting voltage.

DJ Lazy
11-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Well there are 3 200mm fans powered directly from the PSU and when I did the paper clip test all three of them started up and were blowing air. Plugged the PSU back into the MOBO and ...... nothing.

firebane
11-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Well there are 3 200mm fans powered directly from the PSU and when I did the paper clip test all three of them started up and were blowing air. Plugged the PSU back into the MOBO and ...... nothing.

Next step is to ensure the 4 pin 12v is connected as well as the 24 pin is connected as well.

Second you need to ensure the 2 leads from the power button are on the proper leads at the I/O panel header on the motherboard. If they are then you need to take off the leads and jump the pins with a metal object as you could have a bad power switch.

If that all fails pull the board out of the case and make sure its not a grounding issue.

DJ Lazy
11-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Next step is to ensure the 4 pin 12v is connected as well as the 24 pin is connected as well.

Second you need to ensure the 2 leads from the power button are on the proper leads at the I/O panel header on the motherboard. If they are then you need to take off the leads and jump the pins with a metal object as you could have a bad power switch.

If that all fails pull the board out of the case and make sure its not a grounding issue.

Thanks. Will try this.

DJ Lazy
11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Well.. I felt like a fool last night..:rofl:

It finally dawned on me last night that I was using the wrong "PW" pins on the IO panel. :banghead: There are two. 1 says PWR__Led another one says PW. The PWR___Led is next to 4 pins, so I thought 2 were PWR and 2 were LED. I unplugged from the PWR___Led and into PW last night, and it fired up as soon as I pressed the power button..

I checked the IO so many times before looking for a different spot but nothing jumped out at me till last night. :nut:

firebane
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Well.. I felt like a fool last night..:rofl:

It finally dawned on me last night that I was using the wrong "PW" pins on the IO panel. :banghead: There are two. 1 says PWR__Led another one says PW. The PWR___Led is next to 4 pins, so I thought 2 were PWR and 2 were LED. I unplugged from the PWR___Led and into PW last night, and it fired up as soon as I pressed the power button..

I checked the IO so many times before looking for a different spot but nothing jumped out at me till last night. :nut:

LOL its always the simplest things that get overlooked.

n1zm0
11-19-2013, 09:48 AM
^yeah this is exactly like when I transfered my hardware to a new tower, forgot the 4pin connector for the MOBO, literally spent an hour going through forums, reattaching connectors etc then went and took the whole tower to the garage and put the HD lamp on it, found the one unplugged connector. Turns out having a tower with a black interior and all black hardware/wires makes everything look quite dark :rofl:

DJ Lazy
11-20-2013, 12:35 AM
I do have a new issue now though.. buddy took the computer home and now he's not getting any video display. Told him to plug the PCI power cables in as I had unplugged them, but he's still not getting anything. So guess I'll be trouble shooting that tomorrow now.

DJ Lazy
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM
God damn IO Panel!!! :banghead: The HDD plug was on backwards + on - and - on +... As soon as I flipped it around, the video feed popped up. :rofl:

Ridiculous how many times I've built a PC and not had any issues but as soon as I try and rebuild one out of used parts I get everything wrong. :nut:

firebane
11-20-2013, 10:21 AM
God damn IO Panel!!! :banghead: The HDD plug was on backwards + on - and - on +... As soon as I flipped it around, the video feed popped up. :rofl:

Ridiculous how many times I've built a PC and not had any issues but as soon as I try and rebuild one out of used parts I get everything wrong. :nut:

The +/- on the leds won't make a system not show video. It just means that the led itself won't work as they are polarized and only work one way.

The I/O panel on the other hand CAN cause issues.

DJ Lazy
11-20-2013, 10:25 AM

The +/- on the leds won't make a system not show video. It just means that the led itself won't work as they are polarized and only work one way.

The I/O panel on the other hand CAN cause issues.

All I did was flip the wires around to match the +/- and the HDD fired up and the monitor started to display the boot up process.

firebane
11-20-2013, 10:31 AM

All I did was flip the wires around to match the +/- and the HDD fired up and the monitor started to display the boot up process.

Something was possibly loose in the system that you bumped then.