PDA

View Full Version : Westjet to fly to Ireland

ee2k
11-15-2013, 04:32 PM
So they are going across the pond ...

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deals/offers/ireland.shtml?sm_cid=sm-tw-ge-20131115&mrd=0

ExtraSlow
11-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Good stuff. This is a shorter flight than several they currently do to the Caribean and Hawaii. Once they gain sone confidence in Europe, I hope they can do some direct flights from Western Canada to a couple destinations in Europe. Would be stellar to be able to avoid AC on those routes.

dirtsniffer
11-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Can the 737 make it from calgary to Germany? Good news anyways. Maybe they'll expand the fleet

ExtraSlow
11-15-2013, 04:58 PM
wiki says a range of 10,205 kilometers on the 737-700 planes. How far is it from YYC to various places in Europe?

Supa Dexta
11-15-2013, 05:04 PM
7000km to london or so. Another 3000 will get you to moscow.

However Calgary to moscow is only 7800.

Tik-Tok
11-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Can the 737 make it from calgary to Germany? Good news anyways. Maybe they'll expand the fleet

They wouldn't fly direct. All flights stop in St.Johns to refuel.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2013, 07:24 PM
if I'm going to a destination in Europe, I would heavily favour any carrier that flys direct. The current flight of Calgary-Toronto-St Johns-Dublin looks like torture to me at any price. I assume if this works, they will fly direct out of YYC eventually, as it's their main hub and well within the operating envelope of their main aircraft without any concerns about fuelling.

Alterac
11-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Just fly British Air and you go Calgary -> Heathrow -> Dublin

jdmakkord
11-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Testing the sustainability of this route without having to purchase larger aircraft yet. This limits the financial risk of a non profitable route. I heard some flights already sold out by noon today. I'm thinking that these flights are here to stay. :)

AndyL
11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Crap... The pricing not too bad (1420ish r/t) ... But... Travelocity finds cheaper and more direct...

jdmakkord
11-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Crap... The pricing not too bad (1420ish r/t) ... But... Travelocity finds cheaper and more direct...

I saw rates half of that this morning Andy.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2013, 10:25 PM
This first flight is just proof of concept. I have no doubt they'll introduce other more enticing routes within a year if this is a success.

On the topic of aircraft, they have already gone smaller with Dash8 Q400 for Encore, if they did go larger for these European routes, what aircraft do you think they'd go with? 787 Dreamliner?

I'm not saying I think larger aircraft are likely. In fact, I think it's virtually impossible for them in the next five years or so, as they buy all the Q400's and solidify their position in north america.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Prices started at $199 all in one way this morning, and a few flights have sold out already.

flipstah
11-16-2013, 04:19 AM
We will see how this fares. I see WestJet is stepping their game up! :D

ExtraSlow
11-16-2013, 09:13 AM
For some random June dates, I just came up with $1250 RT all-in for yyc-dub.

Seems like the economy seats are sold out.

Civic_Drift
11-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Yesterday morning, I saw flights for $780 RT during the summer but it's already sold out. I'm sad I missed out on it because I don't know my vacation dates yet :(

ExtraSlow
11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
I really hope these flights are a huge success.

Supa Dexta
11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
They need more/ cheaper flights to the east coast.

Tik-Tok
11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
They need more/ cheaper flights to the east coast.

People like you, is the reason people like me get paid fuck all for wages for the responsibility of my work.

Seriously, you can travel 3800kms in 5 hours for just over $325. How much cheaper do you want?

Supa Dexta
11-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Dont tell me what I am. Ive lived in AB for years and haven't flown east in years. Its usually 7 or 800 round trip these days, but it was only a few years ago I could fly 2 people for that price. With so many people making that trip and companies covering so many of them, its inflated the price so that it's hardly worth it for a regular trip. Say grand parents want to come see their grand kids or I have to run home for a wedding...or 3 a year.
I'd rather spend 800 and fly to the Caribean or something.

Tik-Tok
11-17-2013, 03:02 PM
$700 is an inflated price? Nearly $200 of that is taxes un-related to the airline cost at all.

So you think an airline flying a $75million aircraft 3800kms in 5 hours, (saving you days of travel, and hundreds in gas/food/hotels) should only be charging $200 a head or something? Give your head a shake man.

As I said, it's people like you that force airlines to pay their mechanics less than what a car-mechanic makes.

Team_Mclaren
11-17-2013, 03:16 PM
^^ Its a competitive market, as much as I respect your profession, Canadian airline prices are definitely inflated. How much the airline pays you has nothing to do with ticket price, you really think increased ticket prices mean higher wages? if you dont like it, perhaps it's better to be a auto mechanic.

There just isnt enough competition in Canada. You can fly LAX to JFX/EWR for like < $500 in the States

jdmakkord
11-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^ Its a competitive market, as much as I respect your profession, Canadian airline prices are definitely inflated. How much the airline pays you has nothing to do with ticket price, you really think increased ticket prices mean higher wages? if you dont like it, perhaps it's better to be a auto mechanic.

There just isnt enough competition in Canada. You can fly LAX to JFX/EWR for like &lt; $500 in the States

Prices aren't inflated in Canada. There is a lack of supply, plus high taxes that make it hard for airlines to survive here. Margins are very slim in the airline industry.

revelations
11-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
$700 is an inflated price? Nearly $200 of that is taxes un-related to the airline cost at all.

So you think an airline flying a $75million aircraft 3800kms in 5 hours, (saving you days of travel, and hundreds in gas/food/hotels) should only be charging $200 a head or something? Give your head a shake man.

As I said, it's people like you that force airlines to pay their mechanics less than what a car-mechanic makes.

Thats exactly why I left the airlines. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
11-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Thats exactly why I left the airlines. :dunno:

I know, I'm a fool to stay in it, but it enrages me when I hear people complain "how expensive" it is to fly, lol. Just like when I hear people making $200g+ in the oil industry bitch about gas prices :rofl:

Like seriously. Do a cost analysis of flying vs taking a bus, train or driving, and people still consider flying to be pricey?

Supa Dexta
11-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes, I have flown return for less than300 before. So it can be done. The only other reason I can think of why they charged me so little is because of how good looking I am and that in return packs flights.

jdmakkord
11-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks to WestJet airlines sell tickets that cheap. They won't sell an entire flight for 300, they start cheap and increase 1 fare level at a time. As seats sell, rates rise. Ask you parents how much it used to cost to fly the same route 20 years ago, that should put things in perspective.

revelations
11-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I know, I'm a fool to stay in it, but it enrages me when I hear people complain &quot;how expensive&quot; it is to fly, lol. Just like when I hear people making $200g+ in the oil industry bitch about gas prices :rofl:

Like seriously. Do a cost analysis of flying vs taking a bus, train or driving, and people still consider flying to be pricey?

Yea you just have to think about the 70s and 80s and how much it was back THEN to fly around. :eek:

Talking about wages, whats even more frightening is that there are regional airlines in the US who pay their pilots about 10,000$ a year to start - so mechanics arent the only ones getting the shaft.

RawB8figure
11-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Westjet will be flying to Ireland mainly because this is where a majority of aircraft maintenance will now take place. Better there than china, I think.

Nothing new here another Canadian company selling out to increase profits.

Tik-Tok
11-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
Westjet will be flying to Ireland mainly because this is where a majority of aircraft maintenance will now take place. Better there than china, I think.

:facepalm:

ONE Irish company got a contract for a single STC to accomplish on each aircraft in the fleet. There's nothing unusual about that, and it doesn't mean the "majority" of maintenance will be done there, lol.

Team_Mclaren
11-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure

WTF is a company supposed to do other than increasing profit?

RawB8figure
11-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

WTF is a company supposed to do other than increasing profit?

I am not disagreeing with what they are doing, I would have done the same.

Adachi
11-27-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm pretty excited about this.
Can't wait to see how much my stand by fare is gonna cost going there!