PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with that Motive Action place?

Graham_A_M
11-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what the general consensus is with them, if their worth while attending. Looking at getting into a trade they offer potentially. Its basically pre apprentice training, and you can put the 600 hours you've accumulated at their work shop towards whatever trade you decide on.

I went there yesterday for their info session, but I was pretty blown away by some of their super low end requirements. Almost seems like they deal with a fair bit of homeless people trying to get a trade. (On the application, you can check off boxes for "no car", "no fixed address" "No drivers license".... its like really?) :nut:
I just got a bad vibe, that okay..... for six months Id potentially be attending their basic training, and what would realistically be gained from doing that? Sure it would be nice to have quite a foot in the door, and companies would be a lot more open to hiring you if you went through there. Although it doesn't seem to be any better of a route, then just starting off as a laborer in a company, then eventually becoming apprenticed.
The part that I find insanely difficult is trying to afford to live on the piddly (government paid) $800/month living allowance, and doing that for 6 months would be next to impossible in this city. They recommend you get a part time job, but even so they limit the amount of hours you can work (max 20/week)

Just wondering if anybody has been through that program, and what your experiences are and so on.

Squishy
11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I haven't personally done it, however any apprentices or journeymen that I know hate motive action people because they come out knowing shit all and need to be shown everything again.

rob the knob
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=286379

rob the knob
11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
my cousin went here
he wrote blog. i was search for it and couldn't find. though i found that thread above in google.

i think this place is to help people get leg up.

Friday » November 15 » 2013

Motive-Action eases students' rough edges

Jennifer McDougall
For the Calgary Herald

Thursday, February 17, 2011

CREDIT: Ted Rhodes, Calgary Herald
Veronique Kamke and Hardeep Sidhuis work on an engine in the motive-action garage.

CREDIT: Ted Rhodes, Calgary Herald
Veronique Kamke and Hardeep Sidhuis say the Motive-Action training program has given their lives a big boost.
Hardeep Sidhuis has turned his life around and he credits Motive-Action Training Foundation for helping him find the way.

Today, the 23-year-old is focused on his future in the automotive industry, but not long ago Sidhuis was floundering as he moved in and out of factory jobs without the skills he needed to build a career.

When his father died suddenly, Sidhuis says he headed down the wrong path.

"I started drinking and hanging out with the wrong people. I would have ended up in jail, or worse."

The Motive-Action team provides much more than hands-on mechanical training. They focus on the importance of four key values; honesty, hard work, reliability and respect.

These are personal qualities that are needed to seize career opportunities, says Executive Director Karl Herzog.

Students sign up for four six week sessions alternating instruction hours in class and in the shop with temporary on-the-job training.

If a person wants to work, and they value attendance and punctuality, they stand a much better chance in being successful, says Herzog who co-founded the foundation with his brother in 1985.

"As a mechanic, I worked with many people that had great aptitude with tools but didn't have good life skills. They would come late for work or were unable to speak to others (respectfully) and consequently lost their jobs."

Herzog says the Motive-Action training program "smoothes off the rough edges" and equips young men and women with the self esteem necessary to excel.

The program is funded by the province but students must cover their own living expenses.

These are people who want to make a change in their life and are willing to make a sacrifice to come to school and learn, says Herzog. "We focus on helping them become responsible citizens."

Herzog says the students are young people who have faced barriers to employment. About 10 per cent are women.

They may not have a great work history or a grade twelve education. Some are Calgarians in their early twenties who may have dropped out of school and have not yet established themselves in a career.

Others are immigrants in their late twenties. These newcomers require assistance with job skills and their transition to the workforce.

They may have found they were being passed over for apprenticeship opportunities because of their math or language skills or because the experience they bring from their homeland tends to be different than what is needed here.

Herzog says the job placement mid way through the program begins with a good match between student and employer.

Employers that have supported the Motive-Action mission in the past are compassionate and have an interest in developing people.

"In almost every case we require that the employer work alongside the student developing them and providing a nurturing (work environment)," says Herzog.

Students are placed in both large dealerships and smaller shops.

Veronique Kamke is a classmate of Sidhuis' and will be starting her career with Valentine Volvo in February.

"I came (to the foundation) without any skills or knowledge of automotives," says Kamke.

After six weeks of theory and hands-on learning, she was qualified to do oil changes and inspections so she received a job placement at Valentine Volvo for the next six weeks.

"I changed tires the first week, did some cleaning the second week, and then they let me in on a lot of other jobs I never thought I would do so quickly.

They were very patient. They share the Motive-Action passion," says Kamke, 30.

This mother of two says she is passionate about her new found career. "Working will never feel like working again."

Motive-Action Training Foundation celebrated 25 years in November. Applicants between 18 and 30 years old and interested employers may find more information at http: //www.motive action.com/contact/contact.html.

© Calgary Herald 2011

Copyright © 2013 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

CompletelyNumb
11-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
....homeless people... "no fixed address" ...
The part that I find insanely difficult is trying to afford to live on the piddly (government paid) $800/month living allowance, and doing that for 6 months would be next to impossible in this city.

:dunno:

AE92_TreunoSC
11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
It got me started many many years ago. Any losers coming out of the program were losers to start with.

I went in motivated and came out way further ahead than the SAIT AST program. I was doing engine/tranny swaps and alignments in my first 3 months of employment.

It annoyed me because part of the program is to rehabilitate people for employment, where I just wanted a foot in the door. I didn't fit in because I had no drug use haha.

Point is, you get what you put in. If you don't give a shit and just collect EI from the program, you'll get a shit job.

You study like I did and show up every day you get a great job at any shop you desire.

Graham_A_M
11-16-2013, 01:54 PM
^ Interesting thanks to everybody for the replies, much appreciated.... the other thing is the age factor. Im 31 and they seem to have a hard time accepting anybody past 30... but given the scope of the program, it almost makes sense.

Rat Fink
11-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Graham_A_M
11-17-2013, 01:25 AM
^Autobody. Just a cool trade to have given my love of all things hot rod lol.

Rat Fink
11-18-2013, 09:31 AM

nonofyobiz
11-21-2013, 09:49 PM
my work brings in motive action guys and have hired a couple. Mostly they bring them in for the free labor. pretty lame to do labor work and not get paid if you ask me. I'd skip it if I could.