PDA

View Full Version : Is there great ceviche in Calgary?

Isaiah
11-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm hoping for something comparable to what you'll find in South America. Post your local ceviche experience.

revelations
11-16-2013, 01:59 AM
x2

jsn
11-16-2013, 02:04 AM
Don't think I've tried ceviche before, but my friends family owns a peruvian restaurant close to sunridge mall that serves it. I haven't tried the ceviche myself, but I know they do serve it. I've eaten there a few times, and it seems to have good reviews.

Pio Peruvian restaurant.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1689573/restaurant/Northeast/Pio-Peruvian-Rotisserie-Chicken-Calgary

Isaiah
11-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Here's the Beyond review for Pio:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/356726/review-pio-peruvian-rotisserie-chicken/

Any other suggestions?

flipstah
11-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Make it at home.

All you need is acid to 'cook' the fish and you can use basa instead of snapper.

Vinegar with some lime juice and if you're a fan of it, ginger... :drool:

Mitsu3000gt
11-16-2013, 07:10 PM
IMO the Ceviche at Anejo is very good.

r3ccOs
11-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Make it at home.

All you need is acid to 'cook' the fish and you can use basa instead of snapper.

not sure i'd want to use such a generic whitefish

bourge73
11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

not sure i'd want to use such a generic whitefish

Oh leave him alone he's filapino lol

n1zm0
11-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Make it at home.

+1, it's really simple, the East Malaysian native type my mom makes called hinava uses ginger, Thai chili, heavy on the lime , tomato, thin cut shallots and sometimes calamari with the fish. Basically almost the same thing my Peruvian friend's mom in junior high used to make, that and the fried chicken = :drool: just make sure as flip said, lots of the acid to cook, either vinegar or citric, whatever.

Edit: My mom uses mackerel usually.

davidI
11-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I've done it at home quite a few times. Just take Shrimp, soak it in lemon juice, lime, red onion. Serve it up with hot sauce and crackers. Delicious.

Isaiah
11-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
IMO the Ceviche at Anejo is very good.
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried Aņejo tonight; they have three different styles of ceviche. We had the shrimp and scallop which was terrific.

I'm not usually a fan of Mexican food but Aņejo has a very unique twist to it with many options on the menu that are not what you would typically find at more standardized tex-mex places like Salt & Pepper or Julio's. The ambience was also quite good and high-energy.

Would recommend.

3g4u
11-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Try candella on 4th street they got some good ceviche.