PDA

View Full Version : Driving a G35 Coupe in winter

ToXicXxX
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey all,

I finally got my dream car, a 2007 G35 Coupe 6MT in Lazer red, and I could not be more thrilled. It doesn't pack near as much punch as my old 99.5 Audi A4 that I built up (was about 450AWHP), but it's a brilliant ride, especially with FWS.

Now on to the matter at hand... Driving the car to work this morning was quite fun (I take stoney from Country Hills for work, or Shaganappi down to U of C)... I've never driven a RWD before (also owned a Passat 4Motion previous to the Audi), and I have to say starting off is neigh impossible at times! I've read/heard mixed things on tossing sandbags in my trunk, does anyone here drive a G35C in winter and can attest to this? I've tried second gear starts, and for the most part it helps, but other times I end up having my ass end wiggle about letting the LSD try to save me, and it seems to! (this mainly happens when some idiot is right on my ass and im on a very steep hill). As far as driving otherwise, the car handles pretty good after it's going, unless I hit thick snow.

The car came with 18/255/45 Pilot Alpin 2's, but im starting to see they pail in comparison to my past Nokian WRG2's and even the crap Aurora's on my A4.

On a side note, I've also noticed that after off sitting all day my clutch peddle gets a bit "sticky" almost! It goes away as soon as she heats up, im assuming its a condensation thing, G35 forums have a few things I might try to remedy it.

M.alex
11-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Use some quality winter tires. Problem solved (my winter beater was a modified g35 coupe (headers/intake/tune/exaust/etc..) for several years, then a 500rwp 04 cobra, no issues)

ToXicXxX
11-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Use winter tires. Problem solved.

Pilot Alpin 2's are winter tires.

Not my choice of winter tire, but still. Came with the car, brand new condition.

schocker
11-16-2013, 10:04 PM
I had blizzaks, they were goat
Had wintersports before and I did not like them as much as the blizzaks
Those are also very wide for winter tires, you would be better off with 225 all around.
I had the clutch thing though, would just let it warm up until it was smooth enough to come back out properly.

ToXicXxX
11-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I had blizzaks, they were goat
Had wintersports before and I did not like them as much as the blizzaks
Those are also very wide for winter tires, you would be better off with 225 all around.
I had the clutch thing though, would just let it warm up until it was smooth enough to come back out properly.

Yeah, they are the OEM Infiniti rims. I was looking at other (older) G's that had smaller winter rims and the 19" rays summers, but this one was the exact colour I wanted, newer, and had a price point I didn't hate for its age.

If I could afford it I'd buy new rims right now, with Nokkian tires, I would. But im gonna have to survive on these for now!

I need to get these rims re-finished too, they are flaking around the centers.

Yeah clutch thing wasn't scaring me much. My Audi had a 6 puck Ceramic clutch, that stupid thing would slip like mad when it was cold, now that scared me.

dj_rice
11-17-2013, 12:50 AM
The clutch pedal being sticky thing is normal for all cars that are parked outside in the elements of Calgary weather. Once the fluid is all warmed up, your good to go. Same issues with my 240sx when I drove it in winter, the pedal would actually get stuck and wouldn't come back up till I warmed it up for 5-10 minutes.

Redlined_8000
11-17-2013, 01:40 AM
I had a 06 G35 I drove it up to Fort Mac and back. It was a great car.

So my tips for you is just make sure you have a decent set of winter tires. Forget about throwing sand bags in the back that isnt going to help at all IMO. The main problems you will face with this car is trying to get off the line at a stop sign and acceleration in general can be a problem. Just leave on traction control and you will be ok.

Another thing with this car just let it sit and idle for 5-10 min or so before driving. It can be hard to shift into 2nd gear when the tranny is cold. Dont force it into 2nd if this happens. Just go to 3rd.

Other than that not much to worry about. The traction control will save you if you are new. Put synthetic oil in the motor and it will start in -30c without a plug no problem! Have fun!

ToXicXxX
11-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Well today was easy driving, other then getting stuck on a hill for a bit. Had to turn off vdc and try to go in 2nd gear.

clem24
11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX
Well today was easy driving, other then getting stuck on a hill for a bit. Had to turn off vdc and try to go in 2nd gear.

LOL welcome to the world of RWD... Drove my C63 last year on Michelin XI3's and the combination of RWD and shitty winters led me to park the car this year and get into a winter beater. If I had to do winter RWD again, I think I'd spring for studded Nokians.

CapnCrunch
11-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Sounds like some studded tires might help.

flipstah
11-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Studded tires will definitely help, especially in RWD applications.

The clutch sticking when it's cold is a normal thing. Just be glad your tranmission warms up quick.

The Land Rover is like shifting through gunk. :rofl:

ercchry
11-19-2013, 02:03 PM
i'd keep stability off all winter while driving in town... it will save your rear brakes. only time i use it is on the highway when i put my brain into auto pilot :rofl:

mr2mike
11-19-2013, 02:05 PM
My mom has a '04 G35 Sedan. Auto. RWD.
She doesn't drive it in the winter anymore. I switched cars with her for a bit and nearly killed myself twice.
I love RWD cars, even for winter driving and am experienced with them.
It had winter tires and a sandbag.
Unsure of tire brand but they were dedicated snow tires for country driving. Not ice tires.
Traction control on those cars doesn't work quick enough.

My mishaps all took place on seemingly bare pavement or black ice.
One was flat ground and one was a hill. 1/2 throttle accel.

Snow, it's just fine.

Icy highway or seemingly dry highway was bad. The car would kick sideways very quickly upon losing a little traction. 100km/h full sideways slides are hard to steer out of when not expecting it.
That being said, mananged to drive out of these without doing a full 180. But if there was a vehicle in the other lane beside me, it would have gotten ugly.

In snow, drive with trac off. The trac basically puts your car at a stand still. You'll lose momentum and sink into the snow and be finished. Keep it off and keep the tires at the point right before they spin. You spin, you lose.

Basically, I am pretty sure why they went with the G35x. Just a lopsided weight distribution on these cars.

Never had issues with BMW's or Lexus' or GMC Truck.

zipdoa
11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Pilot Alpin's are performance winter tires. You'll be better off with the new Hakkapeliitta R2's.

stillworking
11-19-2013, 09:54 PM
4 weeks into winter I parked my G35 6MT and was glad I hadn't sold my SUV yet.
Sold it in the spring. More of a summer muscle car guy I think.

ddduke
11-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Are the M cars so much different then the G cars?

I had a new gen m45 with some performance winters on it and it was by far the best winter vehicle that I have ever driven, I also lived in bankview which is basically a community constructed of icy hills. I could not lose control of that thing for the life of me.

We currently own an x5 and a4 and IMO both are worse then the m45.

DeleriousZ
11-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I think they're about 1000lbs different lol.

G
11-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Also the demographics of G owners are usually young and think and drive the G as a muscle car while a M owner is older and more sensible therefore drive with more caution.

googe
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I drove a supercharged g35 coupe with blizzaks for a few winters in Calgary, no issues. Stock size.

shakalaka
11-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I drove my 350Z with blizzaks without any issues. Although, it was impossible to drive it on those big dump days when the snow covered pretty much the whole car from top to bottom.

I got some winter tires/rims for my C63 but haven't had the courage to drive it on the highway from Calgary to Edmonton yet. It's parked in Calgary and when I go back I will probably drive it around a bit. But I think the dynamics change completely when driving on a highway, so I won't risk bringing it up to Edmonton.

ToXicXxX
11-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by clem24

LOL welcome to the world of RWD... Drove my C63 last year on Michelin XI3's and the combination of RWD and shitty winters led me to park the car this year and get into a winter beater. If I had to do winter RWD again, I think I'd spring for studded Nokians.

I miss my Nokians... I think im gonna go to Kal today and get a quote... Probably gonna cost $1500 or so...

What would my Alpin PA3's be worth? 80% tread, 18/225/45 and 18/245/45.

clem24
11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX

I miss my Nokians... I think im gonna go to Kal today and get a quote... Probably gonna cost $1500 or so...

What would my Alpin PA3's be worth? 80% tread, 18/225/45 and 18/245/45.

Yeah I have Hakka RSi's on my Toyota Matrix beater now.. Night and day difference between them and the Michelin's. I mean, my Mercedes would slide DOWN my barely sloped driveway with all 4 wheels locked as if the car were on skis. It was pretty ridiculous.

I am sure you can sell your Michelin's; there will always be people who want them since they are brand name.

ToXicXxX
11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Yeah I have Hakka RSi's on my Toyota Matrix beater now.. Night and day difference between them and the Michelin's. I mean, my Mercedes would slide DOWN my barely sloped driveway with all 4 wheels locked as if the car were on skis. It was pretty ridiculous.

I am sure you can sell your Michelin's; there will always be people who want them since they are brand name.

Any idea what they are worth? I didn't buy them, I really wouldn't know.

MalibuStacy
11-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I think the largest issue here is inexperience.

My first car was a built up 1980 Malibu. The rear wheels were pushing about 300hp and I only ever put on all seasons on the car. I found having sand bags helped and switching to winter tires would have probably helped me too but I was broke.

In my experience with that car (much more crude then your G) I found the added weight really helped, and feathering the gas pedal helped. I toyed with starting in 2nd gear, but really made little difference.

Basically you gotta learn not to be less aggressive with the pedal on the right...
And plan your route better, avoid really steep hills.

Chantastic
11-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I am currently driving a '06 G35c (stick), on winters. I used to have an S13 on winters on the oem rims and that thing was a blast. Anyway The G right now has a mixed tire setup. I bought a pair of 350Z anniversary rims (pictured below), that have yokohama ice guards up front (discontinued) and toyo garrity something or other on the rears, all in the oem Z sizing (18/225 front and 18/245R). When cornering quickly in the dryer weather the tires are sloppy and flimsy, not that it matters for winter. Anyway I manage to get around ok so far in winter and that's with VDC off and no ABS as both systems are broken on my car :(. Heads up if your ABS goes out, it is linked to your brake lights so make sure they are working - I just found out mine don't work and now I do not drive my car till I get the new parts installed...no brake lights is no fun. I couldn't care less about fixing the ABS except that it tries to engage when you first apply the brakes after starting it even on dry, gravel/ice free surfaces and it gets annoying. And the brake light thing that is linked to it.

Getting going without VDC is about the same as the S13, and alot of fwd cars will beat me off the line, as they don't fish tail at all. But if you're careful, the G barely moves at the rear with VDC off/broken. You just have to take it easy and let the other cars pass - who cares it's winter, better safe than sorry. Once it's going, it's great and I'd pick it over most fwd cars.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k437/b000stin/3383652d_zpsd627ee01.jpg (http://s326.photobucket.com/user/b000stin/media/3383652d_zpsd627ee01.jpg.html)

googe
11-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I disagree with disabling the vdc unless you are trying to stunt. It only ever did good things for me. In fact it probably saved my ass on black ice at least a few times. I turn it off when I'm screwing around but I have no idea why you would for normal driving. Unless you have a ton of experience driving RWD cars that have lost traction, the computer is going to react way faster than you, especially when it catches you off guard.

16hypen3sp
11-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Buy a neon or something and keep the beauty's in the garage during winter.

A G or Z with snow/ice/grime on it makes me die a little inside.

bjstare
11-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Buy a neon or something and keep the beauty's in the garage during winter.

A G or Z with snow/ice/grime on it makes me die a little inside.

I never really got this mentality. I mean, I understand if your summer car is like a Lambo or something... But a g35/350z? These cars are designed to be year round daily drivers, why not use it for that?

Neil4Speed
11-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by googe
I disagree with disabling the vdc unless you are trying to stunt. It only ever did good things for me. In fact it probably saved my ass on black ice at least a few times. I turn it off when I'm screwing around but I have no idea why you would for normal driving. Unless you have a ton of experience driving RWD cars that have lost traction, the computer is going to react way faster than you, especially when it catches you off guard.

I'm going to assume that the VDC in a G35 is going to be about the same to siginfiicanly better than it is in my Lexus (TCS designed in the 80's). So I agree with you. TCS has saved my bacon many times, and with the strategic braking has been able to get myself out of skids by appling a bit of gas.

And when you say react faster, you bet, I was driving on a frozen lake with sections of packed snow, and sometimes you gain traction on the slow, which causes a skid, the TCS figures it out and straightens me out. Its actually amazing technology.

In terms of the G35, I have heard they arn't great in the winter, but easy throttle (2nd gear starts), plus TCS, plus a good set of winters, you should be good in most conditions.

ToXicXxX
11-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
I am currently driving a '06 G35c (stick), on winters. I used to have an S13 on winters on the oem rims and that thing was a blast. Anyway The G right now has a mixed tire setup. I bought a pair of 350Z anniversary rims (pictured below), that have yokohama ice guards up front (discontinued) and toyo garrity something or other on the rears, all in the oem Z sizing (18/225 front and 18/245R). When cornering quickly in the dryer weather the tires are sloppy and flimsy, not that it matters for winter. Anyway I manage to get around ok so far in winter and that's with VDC off and no ABS as both systems are broken on my car :(. Heads up if your ABS goes out, it is linked to your brake lights so make sure they are working - I just found out mine don't work and now I do not drive my car till I get the new parts installed...no brake lights is no fun. I couldn't care less about fixing the ABS except that it tries to engage when you first apply the brakes after starting it even on dry, gravel/ice free surfaces and it gets annoying. And the brake light thing that is linked to it.

Getting going without VDC is about the same as the S13, and alot of fwd cars will beat me off the line, as they don't fish tail at all. But if you're careful, the G barely moves at the rear with VDC off/broken. You just have to take it easy and let the other cars pass - who cares it's winter, better safe than sorry. Once it's going, it's great and I'd pick it over most fwd cars.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k437/b000stin/3383652d_zpsd627ee01.jpg (http://s326.photobucket.com/user/b000stin/media/3383652d_zpsd627ee01.jpg.html)

Unrelated... But where did you get that diffuser? It looks awesome!

I'm going to Kal this weekend, they ordered 245/40/18x2 and 225/40/18x2 of Nokian Hakka 7 Studded's for me.

Chantastic
11-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I had a pair of non studded hakka Rsi's (discontinued) on my rsx and they were great. Expensive though.

And it's actually not a diffuser, just plastidip! Nismo makes a carbon fiber diffuser though.

Chantastic
11-21-2013, 03:24 PM
'Bluebatmobile' on g35driver also sells vinyls you can get instead of doing the plastidip. I tried it and tore the vinyl unfortunately...but I suck applying vinyl.

ToXicXxX
11-21-2013, 03:48 PM
I had a pair of non studded hakka Rsi's (discontinued) on my rsx and they were great. Expensive though.

And it's actually not a diffuser, just plastidip! Nismo makes a carbon fiber diffuser though.

Carbon fibre and red... Sold.

I'd love a hood too.

MrSector9
11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I never really got this mentality. I mean, I understand if your summer car is like a Lambo or something... But a g35/350z? These cars are designed to be year round daily drivers, why not use it for that?

Any vehicle I drive in the winter out here just gets destroyed, the gravel, salt, people running into it, ice/dirt getting tracked in and out.

Rather cruise around in my jeep with winters/4wd for the $600 it cost me, instead of feeling sad everytime I get in and out of my car dirty.

That being said I am also a complete weirdo so that may have alot to do with it as well.

I vote buy winter beater.

Redlined_8000
11-21-2013, 04:47 PM
:werd:

Winter beater for the win.

My G35 was mint when I bought it at 32k kms and after 1 fort mac winter it completely ruined the car. lol.

95EagleAWD
11-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9

Any vehicle I drive in the winter out here just gets destroyed, the gravel, salt, people running into it, ice/dirt getting tracked in and out.

Rather cruise around in my jeep with winters/4wd for the $600 it cost me, instead of feeling sad everytime I get in and out of my car dirty.

That being said I am also a complete weirdo so that may have alot to do with it as well.

Fuck that. 300+ hp "winter beaters" are where it's at! I threw 225/245 Blizzaks on it and haven't had one problem at all. FINALLY getting a roof rack for it so I can take it skiing. And to the Arctic Ocean next year.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/45A2132F-52BB-4A42-BD13-6CD7CDDB0598.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/62E69160-746F-49D9-A65F-33D26B887FB5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/3F5E84EC-B50C-46CB-B313-092BC44D2D03.jpg

r3ccOs
11-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Fuck that. 300+ hp "winter beaters" are where it's at! I threw 225/245 Blizzaks on it and haven't had one problem at all. FINALLY getting a roof rack for it so I can take it skiing. And to the Arctic Ocean next year.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/45A2132F-52BB-4A42-BD13-6CD7CDDB0598.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/62E69160-746F-49D9-A65F-33D26B887FB5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/3F5E84EC-B50C-46CB-B313-092BC44D2D03.jpg

lol

I love that coupe :)

RWD isn't that bad... those smart cars actually have ridiculiously good traction with winter tires, and T/C

car2go all the way

plus the fact that your body weight or x2 is directly over the rear axel and the tires are smaller than the donuts you get in a toyota tercel

16hypen3sp
11-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

There is a reason why my 03 Z looks mint.
Previous owner always garaged it and I'm not gonna be the guy that wrecks it due to the street situation during the winter months.

My neon gets me thru great. Low cost of ownership too.

Can't go wrong.

ToXicXxX
11-22-2013, 01:44 AM

Ahh I still dunno how I feel about these cars.

Back in the early 2000's my dad got a Z3 convertible, now that car I loved!

bjstare
11-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Yeah, you have good points - there is definitely a place for winter beaters. And to each their own, I definitely wasn't hating the winter beater idea, just not for me. (As long as your car is physically driveable in the winter. My car has about 3.5" clearance, so I'll be using my parents cars since they're gone for the next 5 months haha)

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
:werd:

Winter beater for the win.

My G35 was mint when I bought it at 32k kms and after 1 fort mac winter it completely ruined the car. lol.

1 ft mac winter could ruin a fucking tank.:rofl:
I would absolutely rock a winter beater if I drove my own car up there. Thank goodness for work trucks if I ever have to go.

MrSector9
11-22-2013, 05:29 PM

Those photos make me sad but jealous at the same time because that looks extremely fun.

ToXicXxX
11-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Those photos make me sad but jealous at the same time because that looks extremely fun.

http://i.imgur.com/xO46IRZ.jpg

My winter beater is nice :)

http://i.imgur.com/TTyAZyK.jpg

Nokian Hakka 7 studded tires, 225/40/18 and 245/40/18

Chantastic
11-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Let us know how you like the studded Hakka's!

Also, did you have trouble removing your license plate? It looks really bent

ToXicXxX
11-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Let us know how you like the studded Hakka's!

Also, did you have trouble removing your license plate? It looks really bent

Micropaint bent it. I shit you not.

Hakka's are awesome!

sillysod
11-25-2013, 09:26 PM
RWD is a non issue now that you can get winters.

My wife drives a RWD 5 series all winter and doesn't miss her 4motion wagon. On pure ice you aren't "launching" on a green, but you still can pull away more comfortably than almost anything else at the intersection.

On all seasons it is completely un-drivable.

ToXicXxX
11-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
RWD is a non issue now that you can get winters.

My wife drives a RWD 5 series all winter and doesn't miss her 4motion wagon. On pure ice you aren't "launching" on a green, but you still can pull away more comfortably than almost anything else at the intersection.

On all seasons it is completely un-drivable.

With the studs I'm sure I could launch on ice. Not feeling up to the task of testing that theory out though.

Stage 3 A4 eh? GT28RS?

Chantastic
11-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Were they repainting the bumper or something?

avishal26
11-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Are the M cars so much different then the G cars?

I had a new gen m45 with some performance winters on it and it was by far the best winter vehicle that I have ever driven, I also lived in bankview which is basically a community constructed of icy hills. I could not lose control of that thing for the life of me.

We currently own an x5 and a4 and IMO both are worse then the m45.

I currently drive an M35x AWD with new Hankook winter tires and you are right... it is one of the best winter vehicles I have driven. You have to really try to slide or go sideways in this thing. I'm sure being AWD makes a difference lol when compared to a G35/37 but the weight distribution and tires make the ultimate difference. (and the fact that my curb weight is probably close to 4500 lbs with me in it)

I have driven an FX35 (AWD) with all-season tires and it used to slide a lot easier than my M.

Not sure what the BMW's AWD systems are like but I thought Audi's were kings when it came to winter driving?? NO? I was contemplating an A4 / 6 for my next vehicle....

ToXicXxX
11-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Were they repainting the bumper or something?

Yes, but it was micropaint. So it didn't come off the car.

Chantastic
11-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I wonder if they tried to take it off? I kept the old owners plate on mine for a few days until I borrowed a dremel. That was the only way to take it off. So stupid. Needless to say, the license plate was in alot worse shape than yours by the time I got it to come off. Unfortunately, a piece of the bumper came off with it!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-27-2013, 06:56 PM
+1 for winter beater.

2 winters in my 135i and not only did the front of the car start to look like shit, but I got stuck in deeper snow numerous times (yes I had decent winter tires), and I hated seeing my car covered in dirt/snow/ice/road grime all the time.

$1000 Subaru I got a month ago not only is a tank in snow, but more spacious, more fun to drive in the snow, and cheap and easy to walk away from if someone hits me too.

ToXicXxX
11-29-2013, 02:33 PM
I wonder if they tried to take it off? I kept the old owners plate on mine for a few days until I borrowed a dremel. That was the only way to take it off. So stupid. Needless to say, the license plate was in alot worse shape than yours by the time I got it to come off. Unfortunately, a piece of the bumper came off with it!

My plate came off easy! the little plastic grommets that hold the screw will fall into the bumper if you dont reach behind and grab them though.

googe
11-29-2013, 03:06 PM
One other thing, you definitely want clear 3M on the front if you drive it in the winter. It's amazing what kind of a sandblasting Alberta roads can do to the paint. Looked worse after one winter than my current car does after 5 years.

ToXicXxX
11-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by googe
One other thing, you definitely want clear 3M on the front if you drive it in the winter. It's amazing what kind of a sandblasting Alberta roads can do to the paint. Looked worse after one winter than my current car does after 5 years.

It is 3M'd. Unfortunately by my sun roof and on my doors have some rock chips... Got Langka and Dr Paint Chip, gonna try and clean it up.

avishal26
12-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Just had a blast today driving my M from my home in NW to my work in SE lol. Never slipped (except for some small patches of black ice on memorial).

Was easy to get moving off green lights - was laughing at all other cars which I can only assume had all-seasons as they had a lot of difficulty going above 30kmh on deerfoot or macleod.

I was surprised to see some cabs having a lot of difficulty - but then again I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use winter tires in the winter...

I'm glad I spent the extra money on winters... well worth it! Should be mandatory!!

Now I gotta look forward to re-shovelling my driveway since I just looked outside and all the snow I piled up on the side of my driveway drifted right back over it... :(

zieg
12-02-2013, 11:58 PM
I had fun driving the sti today too.. I never spin unless I'm trying to, and drove through things I wouldn't have dared try in anything else..

mr2mike
12-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
I had fun driving the sti today too.. I never spin unless I'm trying to, and drove through things I wouldn't have dared try in anything else..

With great power comes great responsibility.
Don't get too cocky. But it is fun to do if you know what you're doing.

avishal26
12-03-2013, 09:21 AM
going back to the point of the thread... I helped a G37 coupe out today (RWD) with winters on.... she got stuck on the ice patch before the snow drift in our cul-de-sac but after we pushed her back, I drove the G37 out of our cul-de-sac, through the snow drifts, to the clear open road on the main street. No problem at all - as long as you keep your speed in the snow drifts... not so good on ice though - could be more to do with the tires.

95EagleAWD
12-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Winter beater! :burnout:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526606_10151746398197131_1642596010_n.jpg

JustinL
12-04-2013, 10:17 AM
[B]Winter beater! :burnout:

Right on fellow S54 winter driver! Do you have trouble with the splitter? I find my M3 drags the belly pan through some of the unplowed streets.

95EagleAWD
12-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

Right on fellow S54 winter driver! Do you have trouble with the splitter? I find my M3 drags the belly pan through some of the unplowed streets.

Is the M3 all sealed up underneath like the Coupe? I haven't hit anything HARD in the car yet... just snow. So far, so good!