PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Tethers

G
11-17-2013, 02:03 AM
So my new E550 Cabriolet does not have any top tether anchors for a forward facing car seat but it does have the LATCH system. Is it mandatory to tether all forward facing car seats? I read on some sites that convertibles are exempt from needing tether anchors but I cannot find a definitive answer any where for Alberta. I think my car doesn't have the anchors because the head rest moves and is used as a roll bar. You would think Mercedes would have worked around the design to put them in if it was required by law? Does anyone know the exact rules? I have a MDX that we use majority of the time but it would be nice to be able to drive over to grandma's house for dinner with the roof down in the summer and not break any laws. Thanks in advance.

blitz
11-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Any option to tether to the seat frame behind the seat? My B200 has anchors halfway down the back of the seat, but lacking that looping it over the the floor (if you can access it) should work.

Thaco
11-17-2013, 01:10 PM
yes the tether is required for forward facing when using the carseat harness.

talk to the dealer, they should be able to install one or give you some direction on installing it.

ExtraSlow
11-17-2013, 04:57 PM
sometimes the tether anchor is hidden. Talk to your dealer, the car will have one or be able to have one fitted, that's a requirement to sell the car in this country.

clem24
11-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Interesting that there really is no top tether in the car:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/10/2013-mercedes-benz-e550-cabriolet-car-seat-check-.html

And according to Transport Canada, tethers aren't required in a convertibles:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038-sch-iv-210.1.htm

There are no clear guidelines on what to do, so here's my take given the facts:

- Transport Canada says the tether MUST be used in all forward facing seats
- Transport Canada says convertibles are exempt from having tethers
- It is against the law to install an FF seat without a tether

Therefore it is illegal to install an FF seat in your car without a tether and you can be stopped and charged, unless the seat is being used as a booster. I'd also worry about the implications of being in an accident and insurance denying coverage on issues in the event something happens to the kid. I personally doubt safety is a huge issue since I believe seats are tested by manufacturers without the tether but that's just me talking out my ass.

An RF seat would have no issues in the car.

G
11-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks clem24. I found the information available very contradicting as well. I guess the little guy has to wait until he's in a booster....better safe than sorry.

cycosis
11-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Certified car seat technician here, your convertible must be anchored by the top tether if you are using a 5 point harness. If it is a convertible highback booster, and the 5 point harness is not being used, then you disengage the top anchor.

Your vehicle's instruction manual will point out the locations of your anchors and it has been law that vehicle's must have them coming from the manufacturer for quite sometime.

Convertible vehicles pose a problem for anchors as the room immediately behind the vehicle's seat most likely moves to accommodate the drop roof. Thus you cannot install a convertible car seat in a convertible car properly.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

blairtruck
11-19-2013, 08:20 AM
at least ya got the convertible for 2 months of the year. kids dont need no tether.

benyl
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Can't you just use the seat belt instead of the anchors?

G
11-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
Certified car seat technician here, your convertible must be anchored by the top tether if you are using a 5 point harness. If it is a convertible highback booster, and the 5 point harness is not being used, then you disengage the top anchor.

Your vehicle's instruction manual will point out the locations of your anchors and it has been law that vehicle's must have them coming from the manufacturer for quite sometime.

Convertible vehicles pose a problem for anchors as the room immediately behind the vehicle's seat most likely moves to accommodate the drop roof. Thus you cannot install a convertible car seat in a convertible car properly.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks this is the answer I am finding most often.

clem24
11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Can't you just use the seat belt instead of the anchors?

You need to tether the top of the seat regardless of whether you use seatbelts or LATCH points.

Thaco
11-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Can't you just use the seat belt instead of the anchors? the tether is the one that goes up over the back of the seat and usually clips on to a spot on the rear deck, back of the seat, or floor behind the seat, that's required reguardless of if you use a seatbelt or the latches in the seats.

benyl
11-19-2013, 12:37 PM
good to know. I always use Latch, but I know that you can use the seatbelt if the car doesn't have the latch points. Manual just says to use the seatbelt and thread it through the back.

clem24
11-19-2013, 02:52 PM
good to know. I always use Latch, but I know that you can use the seatbelt if the car doesn't have the latch points. Manual just says to use the seatbelt and thread it through the back.

Some other things to keep in mind is that once your kid exceeds a certain weight (65lbs I think?) you have to use the Seatbelt to secure the seat as that exceeds the LATCH limit. I actually find the car seat belts are more convenient to use and provides just as tight a fitment as LATCH when done properly.

rage2
11-19-2013, 03:12 PM
You guys put 65lb+ kids in a car seat? Wouldn't you use booster seats for a kid that big?

G
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
hahah over protective parenting.

jonnycat
11-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You guys put 65lb+ kids in a car seat? Wouldn't you use booster seats for a kid that big?

Yeah I don't know how a 65lb kid and his legs would even fit comfortably in a FF car seat unless you have the new s class. Once my kid cracked the minimum booster seat requirement the FF's got tossed in the shed.

rage2
11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Alberta laws are nice in that it lets parents decide what to do after 40lbs. In other provinces such as BC, kids have to be in booster seats until they're 9 years old lol.

Booster seats are obviously necessary after FF car seats, but 9 years old is ridiculous.

btimbit
11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Alberta laws are nice in that it lets parents decide what to do after 40lbs. In other provinces such as BC, kids have to be in booster seats until they're 9 years old lol.

Booster seats are obviously necessary after FF car seats, but 9 years old is ridiculous.

Holy crap really? I don't think I was in one past the age of 4. 9 seems ridiculous.

clem24
11-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by G
hahah over protective parenting.

? I don't really consider SAFETY issues to be parenting.. If research shows RF is best for a kid right until they can't sit RF anymore, than that's what I will do (vs. AB laws that says kids can sit FF when they turn 1). Same with child seats.. If my kid fits in an FF, still adheres to guidelines set forth by the manufacturer, then yes, I will keep him in FF with a 5 point harness until I no longer can since it's the safest. How is that over-protective parenting?

:rolleyes:

Yeah but if your kid still fits, the 5 point harness is still proven to be safest.. Why wouldn't you want that? Is there something that's socially or morally wrong or unacceptable with keeping a kid in FF seat for as long as possible?

lint
11-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by clem24
? I don't really consider SAFETY issues to be parenting.. If research shows RF is best for a kid right until they can't sit RF anymore, than that's what I will do (vs. AB laws that says kids can sit FF when they turn 1). Same with child seats.. If my kid fits in an FF, still adheres to guidelines set forth by the manufacturer, then yes, I will keep him in FF with a 5 point harness until I no longer can since it's the safest. How is that over-protective parenting?

Yeah but if your kid still fits, the 5 point harness is still proven to be safest.. Why wouldn't you want that? Is there something that's socially or morally wrong or unacceptable with keeping a kid in FF seat for as long as possible?

According to this link (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-car-time-stage1-1084.htm) you can get car seats with RF weight limits up to 20kbs (45lbs). Do you have one of those?

benyl
11-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by clem24

How far are you going to take the "SAFETY issue?"

Are your kids going to walk around with this helmet in case they fall when walking? http://vipmedia.globalnews.ca/2013/11/hovding_bike-helmet_compare.jpg It is a safety issue afterall.

Check out this railing in my garage. There is a handrail for a handrail.

SAFE. HAHAHAHAHA

clem24
11-20-2013, 12:44 PM

How far are you going to take the "SAFETY issue?"

Are your kids going to walk around with this helmet in case they fall when walking? http://vipmedia.globalnews.ca/2013/11/hovding_bike-helmet_compare.jpg It is a safety issue afterall.

Why is it that if I take one thing to the extreme, I have to take them all? All I am saying is that this is an easy issue to address: if my car kid still fits comfortably in a car seat in it's safest position, why wouldn't I do it? That's it. I mean everyone spends so much time researching what's the best car, blah blah blah, why not research what's safest for your kid and do that as long as they don't complain about it?

Again, I'll use this example: AB law says kids over 1 can sit FF. So many parents do this simply because they want their kid to sit FF. Why? What's the rush? So my youngest who is now almost 2 was sitting rear facing right until it was getting uncomfortable for her. I didn't switch her over right at 1.

Same deal with my oldest - I'll just keep him in FF with a 5 point harness until he no longer fits the seat, is uncomfortable, or falls outside of manufacturer guidelines. Simple as that. I already bought him a booster since we needed an extra seat for my parents 'emergency' car.

Anyways you guys misunderstand me. My point is that you should go the safest route WHILE USING COMMON SENSE. Simple as that. No I am not going to put a helmet on my kid while he walks around - that's plain stupidity. I don't bubble wrap my kids either - both my 3 and 5 year old play on the street by themselves all the time.

Brings me back to the issue with breastfeeding - why are parents always so quick to discontinue it or not even try it even if they can? Because society deems it wrong to breastfeed when your kid is past 1? When they start to walk? Anyway that's a completely different thread.. Same idea though.

G
11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
My friend's wife is still breast feeding their 2+ year old...I draw the line there. Yes I understand where you are coming form clem24 but my kid is big for his age. He was already 40 pounds when he turned 4 and his head was almost touching the top of the car in a convertible seat.

sputnik
11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
um5gMZcZWm0

benyl
11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Guess you didn't see the "HAHAHAHA" at the end of my post.

My kid was breast fed until he decided to stop. I think he was 16 months.

He was also front facing at 1. Why? He hated rear facing. Yes, I ran a risk and I hope that risk taking rubs off on my kid. I know the implications of a child and the distribution of weight to the head when they are young. I have never lived my life on the premise of protecting myself for something that "might" happen, like getting into an accident. If you lived like that, you would never get out of bed. Then again, you "might" get bed sores if you stay in bed too long.

Life is too safe now. Latest I have heard is that kids aren't getting homework and can't fail a grade. Must be because it is "safer" to keep them with their peers even though they can't read at the age of 10. WTF. But I digress.

clem24
11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Guess you didn't see the "HAHAHAHA" at the end of my post.

My kid was breast fed until he decided to stop. I think he was 16 months.

He was also front facing at 1. Why? He hated rear facing. Yes, I ran a risk and I hope that risk taking rubs off on my kid. I know the implications of a child and the distribution of weight to the head when they are young. I have never lived my life on the premise of protecting myself for something that "might" happen, like getting into an accident. If you lived like that, you would never get out of bed. Then again, you "might" get bed sores if you stay in bed too long.

Life is too safe now. Latest I have heard is that kids aren't getting homework and can't fail a grade. Must be because it is "safer" to keep them with their peers even though they can't read at the age of 10. WTF. But I digress.

LOL Sorry thought you were being more serious... The Asians still have it right - my 5 year old has homework every week from Chinese school hahaha.

JRSC00LUDE
11-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by G
He was already 40 pounds when he turned 4 and his head was almost touching the top of the car in a convertible seat.

My guy hit 40 pounds at 2, he's 2 1/2 now and weights about the same but jesus - the car seat is getting tight and will soon be an issue hahaha

(no, he's not a fatty :bigpimp: )

codetrap
11-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Sputnik..

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/response_to_media/response_to_media.html

"As pediatricians, scientists and leaders of the world's largest study on children in crashes, we think that overinterpretation of findings from a single source of data led Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt (July 10) to claim that child safety seats are no more effective than seat belts for 2- to 6-year-olds. They examined children in fatal crashes (about 1,200 per year) while ignoring the equally informative data on those in nonfatal crashes (450,000 per year). Our research, which includes over 25,000 in-depth interviews and over 800 crash investigations, consistently shows that child safety seats and booster seats significantly lower the risk of serious injury compared to seat belts alone. Their conclusions stand in stark contrast to the existing body of scientific data that support current child restraint recommendations, and are, in our opinion, irresponsible and dangerous. We hope that this misleading article does not cost a child his life."

clem24
11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

My guy hit 40 pounds at 2, he's 2 1/2 now and weights about the same but jesus - the car seat is getting tight and will soon be an issue hahaha

(no, he's not a fatty :bigpimp: )

White genes hahaha.. My oldest turns 6 in Feb and he's 41 lbs.