PDA

View Full Version : Cork Flooring

teg_star
11-18-2013, 09:51 AM
We're in the process of getting our basement developed, and somewhat on a tight budget and narrowed down to Cork or Laminate flooring. Anyone here have experience with Cork flooring? I know its a bit more expensive, but just like how's it warmer than laminate for the basement.

Do you guys suggest any stores that has some good deals for cork or laminate?

Kloubek
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Laminate can be warm too. What are you using for a subfloor? If you're decoupling the floor from the concrete then laminate should be just fine.

I recently put laminate in my basement with a fiber-based underlayment with built-in vapour barrier and am surprised how warm it actually ended up being. If you were to use something like the pre-fabbed panels you lay down as a subfloor, I imagine that would be more than sufficient.

As far as stores are concerned, the big-box locations usually have great deals but selection is limited. You could also try Home Improvement Warehouse on centre ave.

blitz
11-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I went with laminate too. I was concerned that cork flooring can be permanently dented by furniture and stilettos :poosie:

sputnik
11-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I was concerned that cork flooring can be permanently dented by furniture and stilettos :poosie:

Cork isn't that soft. I have it in my kitchen and it has held up REALLY well.

mr2mike
11-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by teg_star
We're in the process of getting our basement developed, and somewhat on a tight budget

Originally posted by teg_star
...just like how's it warmer than laminate for the basement.

Hmm sounds to me like carpet is your best bet?! Or am I missing something? :dunno:

Carpet...
Cheap (compared to cork and laminate)
Warm (warmer than your other options BY FAR)

ExtremeSi
11-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I went with laminate too. I was concerned that cork flooring can be permanently dented by furniture and stilettos :poosie:

I had cork flooring in our old condo's kitchen and it had numerous dents in it. All small though so not really noticeable. And it felt nice under the feet to me.