PDA

View Full Version : My stupid knee, I sprained it and it won't heal.

ZMan2k2
11-18-2013, 10:51 AM
I am a letter carrier, so walking and stairs are part of the job. However 4 weeks ago, I stepped in a snow filled rut, and sprained my ACL and the other tendons in my knee. Going up stairs still presents a challenge, I feel pain behind my kneecap, and now my other leg is hurting, because I'm overcompensating. Has anyone else had an injury like this? What did you do to speed up the healing process. I tried acupuncture, and it did help with the pain, but WCB is pending still, and I've racked up $240 in bills that still sit there until the claim goes through. I can't do physio, because WCB only covered the first visit, and since I've already done acupuncture, that's the visit they covered. I'm looking for advice on how to speed up the healing process, so if you have some good tips, PLEASE let me know. This is driving me crazy, and I just want to get back to work.

ercchry
11-18-2013, 11:15 AM
you dont have benefits that cover physio? most policies have at least $500 to spend on it :dunno:

GenerationX
11-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Alberta Health covers the first 7 visits, I believe, since that's what I did for my shoulder.

Modelexis
11-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Why not take a month off work to heal up?

ZMan2k2
11-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks, I'll look into the AHC end of things. I didn't know they covered physio, so we'll see. Modelexis, I so want to get back to work, that it's driving me crazy. But everyday has been a struggle just to get this thing back to working order. I say I have about 50% movement in the knee right now, but I obviously need it higher to work properly. I've got to look into the physio thing. I'll call around right now, but most places wouldn't take me on at first, because I had no WCB claim #. That took a week to get.

*edit* Well, I just got through talking to three physio places, and AHC won't cover the cost unless there was a fracture or a MVA. So I'm stuck waiting on approval from WCB as to whether I can get into physio or acupuncture again. This is starting to drive me nuts, I'm just going in circles, and no one seems to be able to help until WCB does something. Going to call WCB again.:(

zipdoa
11-18-2013, 11:53 AM
#1: CryoCuff

http://www.aircast.braceup.com/images/cryo_cuff_knee_218-285_aircast.jpg

#2: Physio exercises. Getting ROM and strength back is the most important factor second only to managing swelling. Get and keep your knee moving within it's current limits. Don't force it to do anything that causes pain.

#3: Research knee exercises on google. Lots of good information online. Read about MMA Knee recovery stories and tips, lots of pro athletes hurt their knees and get world class treatment. You can find information about this online.

#4: Use anti-inflammatory meds to supplement the CryoCuff

klumsy_tumbler
11-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
#1: CryoCuff

http://www.aircast.braceup.com/images/cryo_cuff_knee_218-285_aircast.jpg

THIS.

These things are a god-send. Depending on your tolerance for cold, the experience might be a little unpleasant, but the benefit of the reduced swelling makes it more than worth it.

I've never had a severe knee injury myself, but enough ankle injuries that I know my way around one of these devices pretty well :)

AndyL
11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Call WCB - talk to your adjudicator - 100% guarantee you have a file # that the physio can work with. You got one as soon as you saw the doctor basically.

If you really want to get done - see if they'll send you over to the rehab facility - its an all day program and they'll get you through recovery pdq... (And shows initiative and that you want to get back to work, not just lay around )

CanmoreOrLess
11-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Beyond the above suggestions, get a good quality knee brace and if you are overweight (I can't recall ever seeing an overweight letter carrier though), drop some pounds to reduce the impact. I'd also be committing to a few physio treatments (after one or two you'll feel better), my guy runs $75 per 20/30 minute treatment. The physio can also advise on what type of knee brace would be best if one is needed. Bite the bullet and take care of things yourself, waiting on a government body to heal you is not working out too well from the sounds of it. Unfortunate, as it appears you want to get back to normal and all you need is for some people to just do their job properly and process the right forms.