PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Grey Cup

Masked Bandit
11-18-2013, 11:07 AM
So, anyone making the trip to Regina? Considering how passionate the Rider Nation is about their team it sure would be fun to be in Regina this week. Discuss.

toshi45
11-18-2013, 11:18 AM
due to the fact they don't have any NHL or even AHL hockey....they need something.

ianmcc
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Hoping to go but buying tickets and arranging accomidations may prove tough! Anyone looking to sell a package?

ianmcc
11-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Got party passes, game tickets, Sheepdog pre game tickets and Big n Rich tickets (for the wife).
Renting a room within stumbling distance of the stadium all for under $1500.
Took a few days of finagling things but should be a great time.
http://101greycupfestival.ca/res/img/CelebrationInRiderNation_retina.png

BerserkerCatSplat
11-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Hell yeah, a few my friends and I have tickets and will be making the pilgrimage.

Masked Bandit
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Got party passes, game tickets, Sheepdog pre game tickets and Big n Rich tickets (for the wife).
Renting a room within stumbling distance of the stadium all for under $1500.
Took a few days of finagling things but should be a great time.
http://101greycupfestival.ca/res/img/CelebrationInRiderNation_retina.png

Wow! That's quite the accomplishment this close to the game. Nicely done. Have a fantastic time and if you can, post up some pictures of the insanity.

If the Riders manage to win on Sunday, Regina is going to burn to the ground.

ianmcc
11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Made it in one piece. More dead deers in the ditch than cops (5-3).

Matty_10
11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
There's already talks of full on riot in the streets win or lose, should be fun!

civic_stylez
11-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Wouldnt want to be Durant if they lose... they will burn his house down...

ianmcc
11-23-2013, 04:10 PM
It's insane! Riderville pavillion is equal parts carnival, rock/country concert, halloween and comi-com

ianmcc
11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
And kilts!!!

gogreen
11-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Even regular season home games are a spectacle. :)

e31
11-23-2013, 10:34 PM
3 Championships in 103 years is a record even the Maple Leafs put to shame. Based on their Grey Cup win history Sask is not due for a win till at least 2020.

Just the facts, Sorry.

Masked Bandit
11-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by e31
3 Championships in 103 years is a record even the Maple Leafs put to shame. Based on their Grey Cup win history Sask is not due for a win till at least 2020.

Just the facts, Sorry.

What's that? I can't quite hear you, seems to be too much cheering going on.

:D

JRSC00LUDE
11-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by e31

Just the facts, Sorry.

Hmmmm. What's that, four appearances with two wins in six years? Who's your team again there, sour grapes?

Oh, and it's four. Dingbat. :D

gogreen
11-25-2013, 10:46 AM
C'mon guys, there are a couple of standard anti-Rider taunts missing in this thread. Not having a hockey team was covered, as was "_ championships in _ years", and there may have been a veiled reference to the McCallum incident. But no mention of SK being flat, nor any accusations of rampant inbreeding, and not even anything about our ability to count. ;)

Four championships may not be a lot, but I've seen three of those in my lifetime. Besides, if the overall number of championships was what decided who we should cheer for, then by that criteria we should all be Argos fans. ;)

I'm happy for guys like Durant and Getzlaf who took a lot of heat over the last few years, and super pumped for Rob Bagg coming back from all those injuries. And who knew Geroy never had any TD's in his previous Cup appearances? Wow.

Phl0xed
11-25-2013, 11:04 AM
What a fantastic day to be a Riders fan. Almost bought some tickets to go there, too... Just far too busy with work right now to be able to manage it. Ah well, even on the big screen it was a great game to watch. Happy for Durant to finally have the monkey off of his back. He played a hell of a season, overall. I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit worried about how poorly they were playing in the last bit of the regular season, but made a wager (that ended up in some cash my way even!) that if they got through BC, they'd win the cup. Let's not forget about the performance Sheets put on last night, either. Had some huge blocks but even larger carries. 169yds rushing was a record that's been standing since 1956... I'd love to know how long the new record of 197yds will stand for?

The Stamps fans around the office don't look too good this morning. Most of them seem to be walking around with a shoe in their yap! ;)

Masked Bandit
11-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Phl0xed

The Stamps fans around the office don't look too good this morning. Most of them seem to be walking around with a shoe in their yap! ;)

That's the Stampeder way!

Phl0xed
11-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Isn't that the truth. All season I get nothing but flack from them around here, even more so when they lost in the West finals. However, now that the Green and White are the champions the tone is slightly different! Haha. Glorious day! Even saw plenty of people this morning at the gym sporting their Riders jerseys. Haha.

Masked Bandit
11-25-2013, 11:37 AM
I've got mine on right now! The wifey washed it after the game last night so I could wear it today. I guess I should buy her flowers on the way home from work tonight.

I wish the rest of the CFL teams had the same kind of fan support that the Riders do.

lasimmon
11-25-2013, 11:48 AM
What a boring game. The Patriots vs broncos game was far more exciting and exhibited far more skill.

It's so hard to enjoy a football game when most of the points and plays are because of awful athletes.

JRSC00LUDE
11-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
What a boring game. The Patriots vs broncos game was far more exciting and exhibited far more skill.

It's so hard to enjoy a football game when most of the points and plays are because of awful athletes.

No one made you watch it, you can always tune out next year. ;)

gogreen
11-25-2013, 12:29 PM
If you watch enough CFL football you learn that no lead is truly safe. It may have appeared to be a blowout at halftime but by no means did I think the 31-16 lead in the 3rd quarter was going to be enough. Hamilton made some great adjustments at halftime and had they put together a couple more drives it may have turned in their favour. The momentum shifted for them a little bit and if they were within two scores in the final minutes then they very well could have mounted a comeback. The CFL rules favour quick scores, and that's what makes it exciting and heartbreaking at times.

Hats off to the Hamilton fans that made the trek and for sticking it out until the end. That team has endured a lot of lean years and their fans deserved to have their Cats in the big game. They're still a young group so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do big things next season.

sputnik
11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
The Patriots vs broncos game was far more exciting and exhibited far more skill.

That is because the CFL is essentially the minor leagues of football.

Its like watching an AHL hockey game and complaining that it wasn't as good as the Flames game... well... maybe that was a bad example. However you get my point.

Phl0xed
11-25-2013, 02:18 PM
More exciting? Maybe if you were a Pats fan. Tony Carter, New England MVP 2013. Usual comment from a usual Stamps fan.

While it may have been a bit lopsided of a game, I think it'd have been a lot closer if Hamilton had not run into the punter late in the game. That was what killed the momentum they had. Right after that, Sheets ran a 2nd &19 conversion for 21yd gain. That was nothing short of incredible. Saskatchewan successfully turned a 'passing league' into a 'running game' last night. Hats off to them. The offensive linemen were nothing short of incredible with their blocks last night, and Sheets himself said it best last night when interviewed about his record: "The O-linemen do all of the heavy lifting, I just run the ball." Brackenridge had some big plays in the secondary last night as well.

ianmcc
11-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Just got back and will get some pics uploaded. Gotta say how insane the whole weekend was!
Talk around the parties was that this may have been the greatest day in Saskatchewan's history. Maybe a stretch but that's how some locals feel.

ianmcc
11-25-2013, 05:06 PM
And which of you Beyonders was driving that rental RV back today? Passing everyone in sight at over 125 km/hr!

Phl0xed
11-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Might not be such a stretch! Haha. I can only imagine what the atmosphere was like in Regina. Look forward to seeing some pics!

BerserkerCatSplat
11-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by gogreen
If you watch enough CFL football you learn that no lead is truly safe. It may have appeared to be a blowout at halftime but by no means did I think the 31-16 lead in the 3rd quarter was going to be enough. Hamilton made some great adjustments at halftime and had they put together a couple more drives it may have turned in their favour. The momentum shifted for them a little bit and if they were within two scores in the final minutes then they very well could have mounted a comeback. The CFL rules favour quick scores, and that's what makes it exciting and heartbreaking at times.

Hats off to the Hamilton fans that made the trek and for sticking it out until the end. That team has endured a lot of lean years and their fans deserved to have their Cats in the big game. They're still a young group so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do big things next season.

Totally agree on all points, Sask dominated most of the first half but Hamilton shut them down hard in the 3rd and was gaining serious momentum until they hit the kicker and took that big penalty. Had things turned out a bit differently earlier in the 4th it could have ended up a very different game.

Either way, I'm happy my Riders won it at home! The atmosphere was electric at Mosaic, we were packed like sardines in there, everybody was super friendly and we got to boo (and then cheer) Tom Hanks. :rofl: Sheepdogs were great, Hedley was awful. I'm thankful the roads were so nice for the drive home that night.

gogreen
11-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Yup, just checked the game logs and that drive ate up almost 6.5 minutes. To go from 2nd and 19 deep in their own end and eventual score a major was the backbreaker. That entire sequence was unreal. 21 yards on a running play when you need 19? Those are the kinds of plays that have burned the Riders multiple times in the past. That was huge. Then they follow it up with a forced turnover and the Dressler TD knockout punch. I really think the '09 and '10 losses were building up to this. You could tell they were committed to putting this one away.

I had to watch this one from the couch unfortunately, but it was still awesome. Excited for next year already, but dreading the expansion draft a bit.

Phl0xed
11-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by gogreen
Yup, just checked the game logs and that drive ate up almost 6.5 minutes. To go from 2nd and 19 deep in their own end and eventual score a major was the backbreaker. That entire sequence was unreal. 21 yards on a running play when you need 19? Those are the kinds of plays that have burned the Riders multiple times in the past. That was huge. Then they follow it up with a forced turnover and the Dressler TD knockout punch. I really think the '09 and '10 losses were building up to this. You could tell they were committed to putting this one away.

I had to watch this one from the couch unfortunately, but it was still awesome. Excited for next year already, but dreading the expansion draft a bit.

Exactly my thoughts. Do you guys think we could potentially see Sheets or Dressler end up with an NFL try-out or roster spot next year? That's the other thing looming over the Riders right now. Could be a brutal off-season, expansion draft included.

gogreen
11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
The good thing about Sheets and Dressler being free agents is that they aren't likely to get taken in the draft since they could just turn around and re-sign with the Riders after free agency opens. So they don't need to be protected.

I don't know if any NFL teams would be interested in Dressler due to his size, but one never knows. From what I understand the odds are stacked against Sheets because he bounced around the NFL a bit before coming here and would have to make a team outright. That is, he'd be ineligible to sign a practice roster deal.

At the expansion draft I'm worried the Riders may lose Shologan, Bagg, or Foley, depending on how things shake out. The Stamps and Riders probably have the best Canadian talent in the league so I think they'll be heavily targeted by Ottawa. Both have great depth though so it shouldn't be a huge issue, but Ottawa's going to get some quality players for sure.

Masked Bandit
11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Overall I'm not "worried" about the expansion draft simply because ALL teams are going to lose some good players. It's not like we're (Riders) going to be the only ones. I think the CFL has done a great job at leveling the playing field with the SMS that was put in.

gogreen
11-28-2013, 01:25 PM
True, each team will lose one import starter, one Canadian starter and one depth player so it won't be crippling and a little turnover in the roster is usually good, and expected.

And I just saw a list of all potential free agents that has SK at 19, CGY 21, EDM 11, and BC only 6. So BC may actually have the best players available, and free agency could be interesting if all the other GM's decide to wait until after the draft to re-sign their players.